Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

7th October 1837

Yesterday, the Mayor and Assessors, Messrs. Birkhead and Marlin, sat at the Town hall and revised the list of Burgesses for the Borough. In the course of going over the names of the voters it was found that several were described as of "Beaumonts Pond" (which does not now exist); and "lane behind Infantry Barracks," and it was suggested by the Town Clerk that the former should be called "Spital Road" and the latter "Barrack Lane," which was acceded to, the court expressing a hope that those new names should be painted up in the respective places.

On Monday last, John North, of Binfield, appeared before the Commissioners at the Town hall, on a summons for having left his Waggon upon two occasions in the streets, longer than was allowed by law, and was fined 20s including costs for the offence. Mrs. Thorn of Dedworth, was also fined in the mitigated penalty of one shilling, for a similar offence.

Discovery of Ancient Coins- On Monday last, as some of the men employed in digging on the line of the Railway near the Dumb-bell, not far from Maidenhead bridge, they discovered about two feet and a half from the surface of the ground an earthen jar. Having broken it open with a pick axe they were agreeably surprised at discovering 300 and 400 silver coins, most of them of a very ancient date. As soon as the discovery became known a great many persons offered themselves as purchasers, and most of them were disposed of at very low prices, in two or three cases as many as 75 for five shillings. As much as a sovereign each has been offered for a great many of them, but the new possessors have refused at present to part with them even at that price.

Ploughing Matches - On Thursday the annual ploughing match for prizes given by G.S Harcourt, Esq of Ankerwycke took place. After the prizes were distributed Mr. Harcourt entertained a large party to dinner, under a spacious tent on Magna Charta island. Yesterday the annual ploughing match of the South Bucks Agricultural Association took place in a field near Langley church. The number of competitors fell very far short of those of last year, as did the assemblage of spectators; indeed the interest hitherto excited towards this association, at least in this district, has evidently considerably fallen off. In addition to prizes given to the ploughmen, rewards were awarded to a number of agricultural servants worthy of them. At the termination of the ploughing a dinner, as usual was provided, and in the accustomed style of Mr. Botham, at the Windmill Inn, Salthill. The Chertsey ploughing match takes place on Thursday next.

Windsor and Eton Choral Society

The fifth concert of the Windsor and Eton Choral Society at the Theatre on Thursday evening, was much more numerously attended, and the performances passed off far better than from various circumstances and reports we were led to anticipate. The company was considerably shorter in number, and less fashionable than even at the previous concert, but the lower part of the house was well filled. The first part selected for the evening's entertainment was a new Sacred Oratorio, which to our non-professional ears appeared a somewhat heavy composition; the various vocal and instrumental performers certainly appeared to exert their talents to make the piece go off with eciat, but the applause gained was scarcely worthy of record. The recitative by Mr. Field commencing "Peace I leave with you", and by Mr. Mitchell, "So then after the Lord", were very effectively given, and two choruses, the one commencing "Thou art gone up on high," and the last, were certainly good, and well performed, the latter in particular; but it struck us the latter chorus was familiar to our ears, and not strictly original. However, the termination of the Oratorio, which is described as the composition of Mr. Elvey, went off with more spirit than any former part of it. The second part of the concert consisted of a Miscellaneous, but not a particularly attractive Selection; neither did this part pass off with any degree of spirit. The overture at the commencement. "Jean de Paris," is a delightful piece, and it was very creditably performed by the orchestra. The songs of Mr. Mitchell, Mr. Francis, and Mr. Field justly drew forth marks of approbation. The concerto on the violin by Mr. McMahon, was a master piece of performance. The young gentleman, we understand, is a pupil of Mr.Blagrove, the celebrated violinist, of Windsor. Of the madrigal, we cannot speak in terms of praise, although each were pleasing to the ear. The performance concluded with the National Anthem, the leading parts by Messrs. Mitchell, Field and Francis.
In justice to Mr. Field we insert the following , which was in the books of the programme of the concert:-
"Mr. Harris being unable, owing to indisposition, to take the parts assigned to him, Mr.Field has kindly consented (though unprepared to expect this addition to his own part of the performance) to sing them."
That there is something very defective in the management of the Choral Society, there is not a shadow of doubt,and,unless the evil is speedily rectified, it will be utterly impossible for it ever to prosper; we therefore, wishing to see such a Society exist (but based on a solid foundation) - a Society which tends so much to the harmony, and even credit of the town, do hope the Committee will adopt such measures as may remedy the evils complained of. Report attributes all these misunderstandings and unpleasantries to one individual [No.3], but what can the Committee-if a Committee there really be-be thinking about to allow the harmony and the good feeling of the members of this Society to be marred by one individual; and surely if any one person is solely to manage it, that man should be No.1, not No.3. By the evils which we hear complained of, the Concert on Thursday had not the assistance of the rich and powerful bass voice of Mr. French, and the delightful counter-tenor of Mr.Young, that excelling singer, Mr. Harris, was unavoidably absent, from indisposition, but even had that gentleman been well, if we can rely on the information we have received, it is not quite clear to us that he would have been present on the occasion. Mr. Palmer too, whose performances on the violoncello were most desirable at the concerts, has seceded from the Society. We again urge on the Committee to see to the affairs of their Institution - endeavour to rectify the evils that have crept in its management, by which they will doubtless be enabled to regain the valuable assistance of the seceders - and let the subscribers know what and who has been the cause of their misunderstandings, and assure them that there is no chance of repetition of them . Let the Committee, we say, do this, and we feel assured that instead of a deficiency, as at present anticipated, of the number of subscribers for the next series of concerts, the list will be considerably enlarged. We would recommend also, in case Mr.Elvey should be pleased to compose another oratorio, that it be not "brought out" by the Choral Society; the subscribers of the Society do not pay their money to hear the productions of Mr. Elvey. If the oratorio had been performed in London, or elsewhere, and had met with great and public applause, then, if the Committee had thought it sufficiently attractive to have it performed at one of their concerts, no one would have cause to complain, but many do not in this case approve of Mr. Elvey's composition being selected, not having been previously performed in public.

Windsor Police

Mr. Hughes, Beer-shop keeper, of Prospect Place, appeared before the magistrates on Thursday, on a summons charging him with keeping his house open later than he was by law allowed to do. The evidence of policeman, No.4, and of Mr. Gilman, the Superintendent of police, was to this effect. On the night of the 20th ult., a few minutes after 11 o'clock the policeman called at the defendant's and told his wife it was time to close the house; at the same moment a soldier came in and called for some meat and a pint of beer; Mrs Hughes served it and the policeman told her she was doing wrong, but she said she had a right to draw beer with eatables. She would not close her house. The policeman then went away , and meeting with Mr. Gilman told him of it, upon which they both went back to the house, by which time it was 25 minutes past 11 o'clock. Mr. Gilman remonstrated with Mrs. Hughes, but she repeated the same to him as she had done to the policeman. There were then two soldiers there, one of whom was smoking a pipe and there was a pint pot three parts full of beer before them on the table.
The defendants wife declared it was not 11 o'clock , and called witnesses who she said would prove it. Gill Dixon, a farrier in the 1st Life Guards stated that he and corporal Milligan of that Regiment were in the defendants house when the policeman and Mr. Gilman came in. It was then half past ten o'clock or thereabouts, and witness and Milligan went away in about ten minutes afterwards. Witness declared that there was no beer on the table and that he did not drink any.
Corporal Milligan (who had not heard Dixon's evidence) stated that he could not swear to the time correctly- whether it was before or after 11 o'clock, but he said he had something to eat and that he drank some beer out of Dixon's pint.
Another witness named Francis was called, but he could not state the time with any accuracy.
The Magistrate said the two soldiers told different stories about the pint of beer. Dixon swearing that no beer was had, while Milligan swore he drank with him. They (the Magistrates) were sorry to see a man in the Life Guards so far commit himself, for generally the men in that regiment were exceedingly accurate in giving their evidence.
The defendant was then fined 40s which he very reluctantly paid.