Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

7th May 1842


This day, at about one o'clock, her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent, attended by Sir George Couper, and Lady Anna Maria Dawson, arrived at Frogmore Lodge for the purpose of inspecting the alterations and improvements now proceeding with to fit it for her Royal Highness's reception. The visit of her Royal Highness was unexpected, and it of course caused for a short time the cessation of the workmen's labours while she went through and inspected the mansion. The Duchess took her departure for Clarence House, St.James, about three o'clock . As the carriage containing her Royal Highness was proceeding through the Home Park to Datchet, one of the wheel horses became restive, near Adelaide Lodge, getting one of his legs across the pole, and while grooms were extracting the animal, her Royal Highness and her attendants alighted and walked to Datchet, where the carriage overtook them. It is gratifying that no accident occurred.

Funeral of a Military Knight

On Wednesday last the funeral of Captain Edward Skilton (whose death we noticed last week), senior Military Knight of Windsor, took place in the Castle-yard. The grave was dug on the green, opposite the south entrance of St.George's Chapel, and the interment was accompanied by full military honours, and the captain's company of 100 of the 15th regiment of foot, preceded by the band of the regiment, joining the procession, which left the deceased's late residence shortly after one o'clock. The funeral was under the able management of our respected townsman, Mr.Tebbott, who preceded the corpse, the pall of which was supported by the six senior military knights in full uniform. Two of the relatives and a private friend followed as mourners, and they were succeeded by several other military and also naval knights in uniform. On arriving at the chapel the body was met by the Rev.W.Knyvett, minor canon, by whom a portion of the service was read; after which the procession re-formed and proceeded to the grave, the troops there being drawn up with reversed arms. The rev gentleman then completed the burial service, after which three vollies were fired over the veteran's grave, the band between each volly playing a stanza of the national anthem. The ceremony was then terminated, and the troops returned to their barracks. There was a considerable number of persons present, but so excellent were the arrangements that not the slightest confusion prevailed.

The light company, consisting of 60 men of the 15th regiment of foot, under the command of Captain Walker, marched from Windsor on Thursday to Claremont, to do duty there, and attend as a guard of honour upon her Majesty, during the short visit of the court.

Melancholy Suicide

Mr.Joseph Pollon, of Addlestone, near Chertsey, a gentleman well known among the sporting community of this neighbourhood, we regret to state committed suicide yesterday. It appears that the unfortunate gentleman locked himself in his stable, (please email at the address above for details of this report). We have not yet heard any cause assigned to this rash act.

On Monday last the annual dinner to celebrate the defeat of the Eton Enclosure Bill took place at the Three Tuns Inn in that town. A very good party sat down on that occasion, the cheer was excellent, and the chair was ably filled by Mr.C.Byles.

Tight Rope Ascent

Signor Duvalla's announcement that he would ascend 400 feet on an inclined plane on a rope, and "decent through the centre of the magnificent chromatic fire cloud, and lights far exceeding the celebrated bude or drummond light, altogether forming one of the most fairy scenes ever witnessed in Europe;" together with the announcement that an "elegant montgolfier balloon" would ascend, drew together on Monday evening, long before the time announced for the exhibition (half-past seven), a large concourse of persons in the Bachelor's Acre; and by the time the performances actually commenced, the Acre, the New Road, &c., were densely crowded, thousands being thus congregated to witness it. It was nearly nine o'clock before the amusements commenced. The balloon portion of the entertainment was, however, soon and fatally disposed of, for it caught fire during its inflation, and was soon burnt. The ascent of the rope caused great interest to the assembled crowds, who watched the progress of the intrepid exhibitor with breathless silence until he reached the extreme end of the rope, when he was loudly applauded by the assembled thousands. The Signor here from his elevated situation addressed the public, stating that he depended for his reward for his exertions on liberality of the public, which appeal we have no doubt would have been liberally responded to had his collecting arrangements been more efficiently managed. The Signor did not make his "magnificent descent" in consequence, as he stated, of the rope not being tight enough, but made his exit down one of the lofty poles among the crowd, who soon afterwards dispersed.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), and Robert Tebbott, Esq.]

Eliza Giles was charged with stealing a waistcoat and 2s, the property of a man named Wilson, who had, however, refused to appear against her, and she was therefore ordered to be discharged.

A female named Wood was charged with cruelly treating her daughter, a child of about 13 years of age; but after the examination of the witnesses, among whom was the daughter, who felt disinclined to say anything against her mother, the magistrates conceived that no case had been made out to justify them in inflicting and punishment. The mother was consequently discharged.


Nearly the whole of the sitting of the magistrates to-day was occupied in hearing the three following cases of assault against Charles Brown, a policeman, who has been but a few months appointed to his situation.

The first charge against him was at the instance of a young Irish female named Caroline Shiray, who stated that she was the daughter of quarter master of the 10th regiment of foot, now under orders to proceed from Cork to India. Wishing to obtain a passage thither, she applied to the War Office for that purpose, when Colonel Cochrane requested her to proceed to Windsor and get the requisite certificate from Lieut.Colonel Lord Charles Wellesley, of the 15th foot, at the same time as she was a stranger, Col.Cochrane sent his own servant with her to Paddington station. She arrived in Windsor on Saturday, being a perfect stranger here. On Monday afternoon about 3 or 4 o'clock, she was coming over a stile, leading from Brook-street into the Long Walk, when a woman came up to her and asked to be allowed to tell her fortune. She turned to look at the woman, when Brown the policeman, who was standing near the stile, ordered her away, struck her, and knocked her head against a tree. Some sharp words then passed between them, and he kicked her, telling her at the same time that he had known her on the streets of Windsor for two years. He then seized her by the neck with one hand and by the legs with the other, and was about lifting her back over the stile, but a gentleman coming by he desisted. She declared she was never in Windsor before. A labouring man and his wife witnessed the transaction, and afterwards showed her the mayor's residence to lay the present complaint. Those two persons told her the public house they lodged at, but on calling for them this morning, she was informed they had gone to Slough to obtain work. She did not know their names. She denied she had been seen walking with any soldiers; indeed, she denied with tears in her eyes the imputation of her being otherwise than a respectable female, and she said she could write to Col.Cochrane, of the War Office, for her character.

Brown said he had seen her with soldiers in the Long-walk, and he had therefore ordered her away.

It was stated as the reason for Brown being stationed in the Long Walk, that Sir John Chapman had complained that his daughters could not go there without they and other respectable females being disgusted at the conduct of soldiers and prostitutes who frequent that promenade. Brown was therefore ordered (it did not appear by whose authority) to remove all such persons, and he had mistaken the complainant for one of them. The magistrates were informed, however, that there was a girl of the town, long resident in Windsor, whose size, features, and even dress, were similar to her's.

William Short, a boy 15 years of age, corroborated the complainant in part. He saw no striking or knocking of her head against a tree, but he saw them talking together when he went up, and he heard the complainant tell Brown her father would be there presently , and would kick him (using a vulgar expression). Witness saw no soldier there. He saw Brown seize hold of her by the neck and legs and lift her over the style out of the Long Walk.

Brown repeated, in his defence, that he had seen the complainant in company with soldiers in the Long Walk, and when in obedience to his orders, he desired her to leave that place she abused him in the coarsest language (which he detailed). He denied striking her, kicking her, and knocking her head against the tree He merely put his hand to her neck to make her move off. He called

Charles Massey, a young man, who said when he first saw the young woman she was coming over a stile from Brook-street. Brown first spoke to her civilly ordered her out, but witness did not hear him say why he ordered her out. She said she would go out when she pleased, and he then told her he must take her out. She made use of very bad language to Brown, and called him names. Brown then took her by the back of the neck and pushed her towards the stile, and she fell on the stile. Brown then took her up to lift her over the stile and she fell from his arms, and he fell upon her.

Some discussion then took place between the bench and the police, as to the similarity of the complainant to a prostitute in the town, and both the Mayor and Mr.Tebbott expressed their conviction that Brown had been mistaken in the complainant's person. Brown however said he was certain he had seen her with soldiers on Friday last, and seen her drunk on Sunday night. She, however, denied both assertions. Ultimately the bench advised them to retire and settle the matter, and they did so, but after some time they returned, the complainant stating that she wished the magistrates to decide the case, after the imputation Brown had cast on her character.

The Mayor (who was about to leave the bench) said he should then adjourn the case to the following morning at his own house, unless in the meantime the matter was not settled. Undoubtedly, he said, an assault had been proved.

[On the following morning the case was not proceeded with, as in the interim it had been compromised]

John Webb, stonemason, of No.1, Adelaide-square, next charged the same policeman with an assault.

Webb stated that on Saturday night, shortly after 12 o'clock, he was going home, when on Castle-hill he met a friend with whom he stood conversing, when Mr.Gillman (the superintendant) and Brown, the defendant, came past. Brown ordered him to move on, and he said he would go presently, on which Brown pushed him along, and when near Mr.Adam's shop, he pushed him down. Complainant got up against, and was then pushed towards the market place. Mr.Gillman told Brown "Let him go; he will go home if you let him alone." Brown not only pushed complainant, but "jobbed" him with his knee.

Mr.Tebbott - Was he in liquor ?

Mr.Gillman - Yes, sir, and his friend too.

Complainant - I was not, for I had only had two pints of beer and a pipe of tobacco all the evening. Mr.Gillman knows he told the policeman to let me alone.

The third charge against Brown was for assaulting Michael Malony, a labouring man, apparently a bricklayer.

Malony stated that he lived at 3, Church-street. On Sunday morning, about three o'clock, he went home, and while tapping at the window to get admittance to his own place, Brown came up (at least it was a policeman, but he could not swear positively it was Brown, though the superintendant could tell who was on duty there at the time), and he told him he had no business there. The policeman abused him very much, and complainant told him he would report him to Mr.Gillman, and he would take his number, he advanced towards the policeman for the purpose of seeing his number, when the latter drew his truncheon and struck him several blows over the head. Complainant produced his hat to show the effect the blows had on it. The crown of it was broken in.

Mr.Tebbott ordered these last two cases of complaint to be adjourned to Monday next, when a full bench of magistrates would be summoned to dispose of them.

Staines, Saturday, May 7

On Tuesday week the Rev. John Stoughton, of Windsor, delivered a most able and amusing lecture at our Literary and Scientific Institution on "Windsor in the Fourteenth Century," the same he had previously delivered in that town. At its conclusion the Rev.Dr.Jones closed this, the eighth season, by an excellent address to the auditory, in which he recapitulated the past proceedings and present state of the institution, lamenting that so useful an establishment has not been sufficiently supported, and suggesting remedies by which it might be made still more useful, and its funds replenished. The rev gentleman thus concludes:- "Having thus disposed of the only unpleasant portions of my subject I would for a moment turn to brighter themes. Let us never be disheartened in our labour of spreading sound safe knowledge. May the little trials we have to encounter and to conquer give ardour to our zeal, unity to our counsels ! We entered upon this project of popular enlightenment with firm faith in the holiness and patriotism of our cause; let us not tarry in our task, or tarnish our sincerity. Let us join heart and hand in following out our purpose, in making this Institution as perfect and efficient as it may be - as it deserves to be: convinced that, in so doing, we respond to the liberal spirit of the age; convinced that it is a magnanimous , glorious achievement, which will not fail of reward, to make wisdom attainable and truth precious. Till next season, farewell !"

Uxbridge, Saturday, May 7

Captain Thomas Ricketts (late of the 44th regiment), residing at High Wycombe, Bucks, appeared before Messrs.T.T.Clark and C.Newdigate, the sitting magistrates on Monday, on a summons charging him with having, on the 16th of April last, in the parish of Hillingdon, passed through a certain turnpike gate without paying toll, and contrary to the statute, &c.

Mr.Griffiths, solicitor, of High Wycombe, attended for the defendant (who was accompanied by a number of his friends, and pleaded "not guilty").

William Richmond deposed that he was toll collector at Hillingdon Gate. On the morning of Saturday, the 16th of April, about a quarter to one o'clock, the defendant, who was in a chaise drawn by one horse, with another person, came up to the gate as he was answering a cart and a van, which were at the gate at the time, and made a noise at being detained.(The witness here identified the other gentleman to be Mr.D'Israeli, then present in the room). On his demanding the toll, amounting to 4 1/2d, the defendant said, "It's all right , old man." He replied, "It's not all right, I must insist on being paid," upon which Mr.D'Israeli also said , "It's all right." Witness said, "It's not so," and was stepping forward to the horse's head when he heard the defendant say, "drive on," and they immediately drove through the gate towards London, and got off. They did not pay the toll, nor had it since been paid to him.

Cross-examined by Mr.Griffiths - Had always said he should know the gentleman again when he saw them. Believed there was no moon that morning, and there was no light over the gate. Wrote a letter to the gate-keeper at Ealing the same night, informing him of the gentlemen passing through without paying, and desiring him to make them pay as they came back. Was not in the custom of allowing gentleman to go through and pay when they came back. The defendant passed through on October last without paying the toll.

John Hobbs, toll collector at the Old Hats-gate, Ealing, deposed to the defendant and Mr.D'Israeli passing through his gate in a gig on the morning in question, without paying the toll. They said they had paid at Hillingdon.

Mr.Griffiths objected to that evidence being admitted. It had nothing to do with the case against his client.

Mr.Clark said it at least proved the identification of the parties.

Mrs.Sarah Johnston deposed that her husband kept the Green Man Inn, near Hillingdon turnpike. On the morning in question Captain Ricketts and another gentleman came to her house and had refreshments, staying about half-an-hour. She then saw them get into a gig and go towards the turnpike in the direction of London.

Mr.Griffiths then submitted that there was no case against his client, inasmuch as the principal evidence having been given by the informer, who was entitled to half the penalty, the case must fall to the ground.

The Bench, after considerable argument on the subject, admitted the objection and dismissed the summons.

Mr.Griffiths applied for costs, but the magistrates refused to allow them.

Mr.James D'Israeli, the brother of the honourable member for Shrewsbury, then appeared to a similar summons, and was defended by Mr.Griffiths.

The evidence of Richmond was taken in this case, the information having been laid by a third person. It was a recapitulation of his previous testimony.

Cross-examined by Mr.Griffiths - When they whipped the horse and drove on, he was nearly jammed between the gate-post and the wall. Was not in the habit of letting farmers go through to market and pay when they came back.

Mrs.Johnson having been called to speak to the identity of Mr.D'Israeli.

Mr.Griffith took an objection to the summons, and contended that the section of the act under which he supposed the summons had been issued, enacted that the act of passing through the gate should be a forcible one, to bring the party offending under the act, and as no evidence of his client's having forcibly done so had been offered, that case must also, he contested, be dismissed.

The Bench decided that the objection was not a good one, inasmuch as the summons had been issued under the 139th section of the act, by which any person passing through a turnpike gate without paying toll, after it had been demanded of them, was liable to a penalty not exceeding 10.

Mr.Griffith said he was then prepared to disprove the evidence of the collector, Richmond, as to the toll having been demanded, and he called

Captain Ricketts, who, on oath, stated that he walked the horse through the gate. There was no cart or van at the gate, or in sight, as stated by Richmond. They saw no collector at the gate, which was open, and no one appearing to take the toll, they went on. Saw no other vehicle of any sort, neither did he or Mr.Disraeli speak to any tollman. They certainly did not pay any toll, as there was no one there to receive it. Did not pay the toll at Ealing, but told the man "it was all right," as they intended paying when they got back to Hillingdon. The door of the toll-house was opened, but no one called for the toll, or it would have been paid. On their return to Ealing-gate, the man there made them pay.

Richmond said if the case was adjourned for a week he would produce the driver of the van to prove the correctness of his evidence; but

Mr.Griffiths objected to any adjournment of the matter - the case against his client having been closed; and

The Bench having consulted together, said they thought it right to convict in this case, as the considered the charge proved.

The defendant was then fined 5 and 30s expenses, which were immediately paid.

Both cases excited much interest, and the magistrates room was densely crowded.

Marlow, Saturday, May 7.

Mr.Richard Gibbons, who had been committed to Newgate for giving what was stated to be false evidence before the Marlow Election Committee, and afterwards, through the exertions of Mr.Duncombe discharged from custody, returned home to his family on Monday last, and as a mark of respect for his person, gratitude for his friend Mr.Duncombe, M.P., and to show what opinion his neighbours entertain of his punishment, an address to that honourable member was immediately prepared, numerously signed, and agreed to be presented forthwith to him. The address expresses great gratitude to Mr.Duncombe, and the disbelief of those who signed it that their respected neighbour and fellow townsman, Mr.Gibbons, ever wilfully intended to give incorrect testimony before the committee.

The rejoicings of Great Marlow this week have been kept up with unusual vivacity; three maypoles have been erected in the town with a blue flag at the top of each, and last night a figure in a spencer was hung and burnt under them.