Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

5th November 1842

Sale of Stock at Norfolk Farm - The annual sale of live stock, selected from the farm of his Royal Highness Prince Albert, which took place on Tuesday last, by Mr.Tebbott, was well attended by gentlemen and dealers, when the lots realised very good prices, higher indeed, according to the markets, than those of the sale last year.

Election of Town Councillors

On Tuesday last Messrs.T.Adams, C.Phillips, and C.Layton, were re-elected as councillors for the In-ward without opposition. For the Out-Ward a sharp contest was expected in consequence of Mr.W.W.Berridge, son of Mr.W.Berridge, being put forward as a candidate, in the room of Mr.Sharman, a circumstance which induced Mr.Bedborough to offer himself in opposition to Mr.Blunt, agreeably to the announcement in his address in our last week's paper. It however, soon became apparent to Mr.Blunt's friends that that gentleman's re-election would be in jeopardy, as both parties intended to vote for the Messrs. Berridge, who would, of course, be returned by a large majority, and Mr.Bedborough was considered equally safe. It was therefore determined, shortly after the polling commenced, to withdraw Mr.Berridge,jun., and hence, as a matter of course, Messrs. Berridge and Blunt were re-elected, and Mr.Bedborough elected in the room of Mr.Sharman. We regret that such indifference should have been manifested by the Liberals on this occasion. It being quite certain that two at least might have been elected for the Out-ward.

On Monday morning before daybreak, as Mr.Minton, butcher, of Windsor, accompanied by Mr.G.Hussey, was proceeding down the sharp descent near Forest Hill, on their road to Loddon Bridge market, his horse made a false step and fell down breaking both shafts and throwing both out with considerable force, but fortunately without injuring either of them.

Daring Attempt to Rescue Prisoners from Windsor Gaol

On Tuesday week a most audacious attempt was made by a gang of nine ruffians to rescue from the temporary gaol in Sheet-street (formerly the parish workhouse), two prisoners, named, George Croxon alias Jones and Weaver Clayton, who had been convicted and sentenced at the last Borough Sessions, the former for ten years and the latter to seven years transportation. These two prisoners would, it was strongly suspected by Simms the gaoler, from their well known 'previous characters', make every effort to escape, and consequently he adopted the most efficient means in his power to thwart them in any such attempt. He placed them in the strongest room in the gaol, and as a watch placed another prisoner, named Dawson, on whom he could rely for giving an alarm in case any attempt should be made. There is a window to the room, which looks over a passage leading to the back of the Five Bells public-house, secured with iron bars and a wooden shade, and on the above day the gang resolved to attempt a rescue of their two comrades, who were under transportation. Among them was a fellow of known bad character, named Clewse, who was tried at the last sessions for felony but acquitted. This person had been previously confined to the gaol, and had been placed in the strong room, and no doubt guessed that Croxon and Clayton would also be placed there, as he knew it was the strongest place in the building. He was therefore, no doubt, the ringleader of the party. They entered the passage of the Five Bells by the back way, and two or three of them climbed up to the window of the room in which the prisoners were. They were about commencing taking out the window frame when they were fortunately observed by Mr.Parker, the landlord of the public house, who instantly informed Simms, the gaoler, and he proceeded with an assistant to the passage, but the whole party instantly made off. Simms then returned to the gaol and properly secured the prisoners in separate cells. The latter appeared to have been aware of the attempt at their rescue , for they had been overheard by Dawson, their fellow prisoner, whom they supposed to be asleep, to say, "there is but one fellow here, and if he is not quiet we'll soon settle him." On Tuesday last the convicts, Croxon and Clayton, were conveyed from Windsor, without any previous intimation , to Woolwich, where they were placed on board the Warrior, convict ship.


On Thursday, between the hours of eleven and two o'clock in the day, the premises of William Ford, of Iverheath, were broken open and a large quantity of wearing apparel, 9s in money, a silver watch, and some bread, meat, &c, stolen therefrom. The thieves have hitherto escaped detection, but we trust that by the active exertions of Larkin, the chief constable of Iver, they will be speedily brought to justice.

Pigeon Shooting

The members of the Windsor Star Club made their debut on Wednesday last in a field at the rear of the new Church. Speculation was brisk, but the shooting indifferent. Of the three club matches, between the sides chosen by Messrs. Parkin and Hill, the first was won by the former party by five birds, the second proved a tie, and the third terminated in favour of Mr.Hill's side by one bird. Two sweepstakes (five entries) three birds each, were then shot, the first being divided by Messrs.Gough and Roper, who bagged two each, and the second being won by Mr.Hill killing his three. A match for 1 a side at three birds between Messrs. Roper and Hill, was won by the latter; and Mr Parkin won two matches with Mr.Copas. In the sweepstakes and matches, 12 dozen birds were flown, and precisely one half killed from the trap. The "out-scouts" consequently had an unexpected lucky day of it, but few of the remainder being permitted by those worthies to depart in peace. In the evening the Star was well attended, dinner good, and wines excellent.

Important Information to Parochial Authorities

The following letters relative to the legal expenditure of the Windsor Union, which have been sent to us, we publish for the information of the ratepayers of the Union:-

"Poor Law Commission Office, Somerset House, Oct 24 1842
"Gentlemen, - With reference to the letter which the Poor Law Commissioners addressed to you on the 9th, ult., on the subject of the bills of the Justices Clerk, for fees against the parish of Clewer. I am directed by the Commissioners to forward herewith for your information a copy of a letter which they have this day addressed to the Clerk of the Windsor Union on the subject. "I am, &c.
(Signed) "E.Chadwick, Secretary .

"To the Churchwardens and Overseers of Clewer."
"Poor Law Commission Office, Somerset House, Oct 24 1842
"Sir, - I am directed by the Poor Law Commissioners to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 10th ult., respecting the bills of Mr.Long, as Clerk to the Justice of the borough of Windsor, against the parish of Clewer. The Commissioners have read his observations and remarks upon the notes which they had made. They entertain very great doubt whether the 44th section of the Poor Law Amendment Act confers upon the borough justices any jurisdiction over the workhouse of the Windsor Union, and they think that in future the guardians of the Windsor Union, and the officers of the parishes comprised in that union, would do well to avoid any question upon the subject, by applying to the county justices, who have certainly a jurisdiction over the place in question, in which case the examinations may be taken without the necessity of their clerk travelling five miles from the place of petty sessions. In regard, however, to the charges for the examinations at Windsor Union workhouse, if the borough justices had jurisdiction , the charges made by their clerk are lawful, but if they had no such jurisdiction, the fees would not be lawfully due, and Mr.Long may possibly be exposed to penalties if he insists upon taking them.
"In reference to the charges in respect of the poor rate defaulters. I am to state that the Commissioners do not clearly understand the provision in the table of fees referred to. They are disposed to think that on the production of a list of names, the clerk should issue one summons, including all those names, and that this summons should be delivered to the overseers, who will cause it to be executed as they may deem fit. Certainly a printer could print 100 copies of it for a small sum. One information would in this case also suffice, and thus the fees of the clerk of the justice would have been a few shillings instead of several pounds. As it is, the Commissioners see no ground for copies of the summons being supplied to the overseers, but as no list was delivered, and separate summonses and copies were obtained, the item appears to be due and payable in the present case.
"In regard to the claim for the hearing, it does not appear what cases were heard, nor in what cases no orders were made, and the claim is only allowable when an order is made. "The Commissioners are decidedly of opinion that no charge can be made by you against the parish for the expenses of the proceedings against the Overseers for non-payment of their contributions, although the Clerk is entitled to recover them from some person or other. The explanations as to the other items appear satisfactory; but as the charge of 6s for the order and duplicate is admitted to be erroneous, the bills should be corrected, and as they have been marked in several places it will be as well that fresh ones should be prepared and sent to the parish officers of Clewer, to whom the Commissioners have directed a copy of this letter to be transmitted.
"I am Sir, &c."
(Signed) "E.Chadwick, Secretary .
"W. Cole Long, Esq., Clerk to the Guardians, Windsor."

Coroner's Inquest - Sudden Death

On Wednesday last an inquest was held at the White Hart Inn, before Mr.Marlin, coroner for the borough, on the body of Elizabeth Hannah Platt, wife of Charles Platt, aged about fifty years.

Mr.W.B. Holderness, surgeon, stated that the deceased came into his service as a monthly nurse on the 23rd Sept., exat[?], since which time she had been suffering from an affliction of the lungs. She, however continued to discharge her duties, although with some difficulty, until the preceding (Tuesday) night. During that period she had occasionally consulted Dr.Stanford, and had been under his (Mr.Holderness's) care as well, taking the medicines she was required to take. On that day (Tuesday) she had taken the child out, and had dined out, returning to his house about four o'clock in her usual health. About eight o'clock in the evening she came into the room where witness and Mrs.Holderness were to show them the child's frock, the child having to be christened on the following (Wednesday) morning. On her leaving the room witness enquired of her what she would like for her supper, and whether she would have some brandy and water. The latter she declined, and she went up stairs. About half past eight o'clock witness heard her calling for him as loud as she could, on which he ran up (followed by Mrs.H.) and saw her coughing violently and spitting blood. He immediately gave her some medicine, and sent for Dr.Stanford, but before that gentleman arrived she expired. She had evidently ruptured a blood vessel in the lungs, and the blood had suffocated her. The quantity of blood she had lost did not exceed a tea cup full, but her death was by what is called apoplexy of the lungs. She could not breathe, and her passages were full of blood. The deceased was a married woman, and had a family. He did not know her age, but supposed about fifty.

To questions by the jury Mr.Holderness said the deceased was strongly recommended to him, and although he found she was unwell he and Mrs.Holderness put up with many inconveniences, because she was a very excellent servant. Her coughing at nights was inconvenient, but they put up with that because one of the other servants could do what was required. At the expiration of the month he wished her to go away, but she told him she was so comfortable, and had everything she wanted, and besides she had never been out at a christening, she begged the favour of being allowed to stay until the christening of witness's child was over; to this he agreed, and that ceremony was to have been performed that morning.

Dr.Stanford deposed that he had known the deceased three or four years. During that period she was frequently his patient, and her prescribed for her. She laboured under an affection of the lungs, attended with a severe cough, emaciation and loss of strength. Witness had often advised her to give up her avocation of going out as a monthly nurse, but she said she could not conveniently do so. He repeated that advice only three days ago, when she evaded giving any answer, except saying that she only attended a few particular ladies. She was a most respectable woman, and that was the reason that induced Mr. and Mrs. Holderness to retain her.

On the previous (Tuesday) evening he had a message from Mr.Holderness, and he immediately went to that gentleman's house, but the deceased had expired before he got there. Her mouth was full of blood, and she had all the appearance of having ruptured a blood vessel in the lungs, which had produced suffocation and death.

Mr.Holderness said one of his servants who was last with the deceased, was in attendance, if the jury wished to examine her. The jury, however, thought the evidence already given sufficient, and they returned a verdict that the deceased died by the visitation of God. The sum of 1s to each juryman allowed by the Act, the jury liberally agreed to hand to the Treasurer of the Dispensary, Mr.Sharman, in aid of the funds of that Institution, and it was accordingly paid over for that purpose by Mr.Pond, the summoning officer.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode,Esq.(Mayor), Sir John Chapman, and R.Blunt,Esq.]

Edward Isod was brought up in the custody of Clarke, the policeman charged with stealing two geranium plants, the property of his master, Mr.John Vare, of the Frogmore-road.

It appeared that the prisoner had been for some time in Mr.Vare's service, and when apprehended by Clarke with the geraniums he said they were his own, and that he had placed a quantity of cuttings in his master's frame, of which the two produced were of the number. He said he was allowed to plant out cuttings.

Mr.Vare, who had been sent for, said he had no doubt in the world that the plants were his. He never allowed the prisoner to plant out cuttings for himself; besides the plants produced were several years old. Still he should not like to swear they were his, but he had no doubt in his own mind on the subject. He had placed great confidence in the prisoner, who was an excellent workman, but he should never again be employed on his (Mr.V.'s) premises.

The magistrates, as Mr.Vare refused to swear to the plants being his, ordered the police to retain possession of them for the present, and they allowed the prisoner to go at large, telling him that in case any other evidence could be found against him he should be apprehended again.

Richard Watts was charged with deserting his wife and four children, and leaving them chargeable to the Windsor union.

Mr.Bailey, the relieving officer, said that on the 29th of September the prisoner's wife applied for relief, stating that her husband had ran away. He relieved her and her children, one of whom was ill of the typhus fever. The relief altogether amounted to about 10s up to Thursday week, when he found the prisoner had returned to his home.

The prisoner, in his defence, said he had worked as a labourer at the New Mews, where his wages were only 12s a week, and he had to pay 3s 6d a week for his lodging. Being discharged when the other men were, he was obliged to leave his family for the purpose of seeking employment, but was taken ill and remained at his father's house.

Sir John Chapman said the man was a very decent looking man, and he did not wish to send him to prison. He wished that the case could stand over for the consideration of the board of guardians.

Mr.Bailey said he knew the board would not reconsider the case, and in this he was confirmed by Mr.W.C.Long, the clerk to the guardians.

The magistrates then sentenced the prisoner to the punishment of seven days imprisonment in the borough gaol.

[Before John Clode,Esq., Mayor]

Chas.Boulton, a wheelwright, and Thos.Howard, a waggoner, Clara Tilley , and Robert Tilley, a private in the grenadier guards, Randolph Horne, Esq. (of Staines), Cheal's waggons, . Also mentioned the Hope Inn at Frogmore [please contact me via email for details of this case]

Eton Police - Saturday, Oct. 29.
[Before the Rev.W.G.Cookesley.]

A well-dressed man, named James Richmond, who was a policeman in the employ of the Great Western Railway Company, was brought up charged with stealing a large quantity of property belonging to a gentleman named Emden.

It appeared that Mr.Emden, who lived in London, left some boxes in a house in which the prisoner lodged. These boxes, it was discovered, had since been broken open, and a large quantity of property, consisting of plate, wearing apparel, &c., was stolen from them. Suspicion fell on the prisoner, who has recently resided at Langley, and Mr.Emden obtained a search warrant to search his house, which was placed in the hands of Larkin, chief constable of Iver. Larkin and Jerome, chief constable of Eton, proceeded in company with Mr.Emden to the prisoner's house, and they there found the whole of the missing property, which was identified by the complainant. They also found a quantity of property belonging to the Railway Company, which was identified by Mr.Collard, superintendent of the Railway Company's police, to be their property. On the discovery, the prisoner was apprehended at the Langley gate, on the line. He was committed to trial on both charges.

John Benton was charged with felony , by Larkin, the chief constable of Iver. It appeared that about a year ago Mr.Bell, of Ray-mill, near Taplow, was robbed of about twelve pounds in money, and suspicion fell on the prisoner. The evidence, however, was not deemed sufficient to commit him, and he was liberated on his own recognizance to attend when required to.

Literary Institution

On Tuesday last the ninth season of this institution was opened by the Rev.Dr.Jones, Vicar of Bedfont, with a lecture on "The Human Mind." The Doctor began with a general view of the questions involved in his thesis, the motives that led him to its selection - the benefits and perils attendant upon its discussion. He then furnished a compendium of the distinguished writers of Metaphysics, chiefly amongst our countrymen, since the dark ages. Proceeding to his immediate subject, he commenced with consciousness and perception , as first principles of human understanding; thence he wished to show how the loss or defect of one sense is mercifully compensated by the keenness or strength of those spared. Nay, the very lack engenders attention. To attention most talents have their development. We should, however, know little , were we soley to depend upon our observation; thus arise the heed and value of testimony . Yet what we gain from experience and the evidence of others , would little avail without memory; nor are aids wanting for its enlargement and improvement. This assistance is amply found in the association of ideas - the power of connecting facts and emotions. The treasures of memory, nevertheless, or even their factitious combinations are not to lie in confused unsorted masses in the mind. To think clearly we must discriminate rigidly . We must divide before we conquer; hence abstraction. There still remained a mental energy to be considered, of domineering power - imagination; what its glories, and what its abuses. To obtain the surest check on its extravagances , and the wisest direction to its right offices, the judgement must be matured; with sound judgement is identified good reasoning. On this latter point, the most material of all, Dr.Jones largely dwelt; nor did he omit the mention of those sciences which more particularly elicit and exercise the argumentative faculties - mathematics and logic.
Dr.Jones then treated of phrenology to which he attached little value and less use; he went on an slightly noticed the aberrations and insanity of the human mind, and after answering objections against the spread of useful knowledge, and eulogising the faculties for its attainment in modern days, he wound up the whole by warmly advocating the cause of Literary Scientific Institutions merely touching upon the temporary depression of that at Staines; he thus concluded, "Whatever may have been the fame or achievements of former days, whatever latterly may have dimmed our celebrity and crippled our career, one truth let us keep steadfastly in mind - a truth with will lighten failure more heavy than we have ever borne, sanctify success more brilliant than we have attained, but which we may yet anticipate - namely, that from this rostrum not a sentiment has been heard, or even allowed to be uttered, derogatory to our belief as christians, and as friends." At the close of the lecture Dr.Jones was loudly cheered from all parts of the theatre.

Great Marlow

Our fair on Saturday last was more numerously attended than usual; the supply of colts, pigs, and cows was abundant, and business to a considerable amount was transacted with more than general activity. The light-fingered tribe were particularly busy; and a horse dealer, named Jordan, from Thame, early in the afternoon, while in liquor, is said to have lost 350, but how, when, or where, he had not sense sufficient left him to tell. A man was taken up on suspicion of being concerned in the robbery, but as there was no evidence to convict him he was discharged; we hear he has, however, been since recaptured at Staines, and it yet in confinement.

A child named Austin, from Medmenham, whilst being led through the fair by its mother, received a severe kick on the head from a horse, which occasioned its death on Tuesday.

The tolls of this fair have been a subject of dispute from some years past, a tenant of T.P.Williams,Esq, of Temple, having formerly collected them; but as it now appears they were never disposed of by the Lord of the Manor, Sir.W.R.Clayton in that capacity now claims them; and as Mr.Wombwell is the only man of substance who had refused payment to the Lord's collector, legal proceedings have already commenced to compel his compliance, and prove to whom the collection of right belongs.

The appointment of a relieving officer in the place of Mr.Joseph Reading, resigned, took place at the Board of Guardians for the Wycombe Union yesterday week, and was particularly distinguished for clerical malignity and party spirit. The election at length terminated in favour of a Mr.Jones, not by the manly method, as the Tories term it, of honourably voting in public; but the secret and "un-English-like plan" of voting by ballot, thus showing how readily Tories will give way to any system that is best calculated to answer their clandestine purposes.

An inquest was held at the Clayton Arms, in this town, on Wednesday last, before John Charsley, Esq.,coroner, on view of the body of William Wakefield, labourer, who was killed in a pugilistic contest with James Davis, a shepherd, on Monday night last at Bovingdon's Green.

It appeared that Davis and Henry Wakefield, brother of the deceased, had had an old dispute which was renewed upon their meeting at the Royal Oak, Bovingdon's Green, last Monday. Davis used every endeavour to make the matter up, but in vain; nothing but a fight would satisfy Wakefield, but for some cause not satisfactorily explained, Wakefield's brother was the champion in his stead, and after making use of the most insulting observations towards Davis, such as that "he had licked him before, and was the little who could do it again," both parties deposited a stake of 5s on the table of the Royal Oak, and proceeded about nine o'clock at night to the Green, the landlord of the Royal Oak offering, if no one else would, to hold a light to them during the engagement; but Davis still exhibited a disposition to settle their dispute in an amicable manner; he was, however, not attended to and a most ferocious combat ensued, and it was continued for above two hours, when Wakefield fell, to rise no more. Wakefield's brother then struck Davis twice, as his brother William lay dead on the Green. The body was then taken to the Royal Oak, and a surgeon sent for, but life was extinct. The whole of the evidence before the jury went to prove that it was a fair fight, and them jury returned a verdict of manslaughter against James Davis, and the two seconds, Richard Webb and Richard Chapman, who were all sent off to Aylesbury gaol the next morning for trial at the March Assizes. Wakefield's mother it is reported was present aiding and abetting her son from the commencement of the dispute to the termination of the tragical affray.

On the same day an inquest was held before the same jury and coroner, on the body of John Finch, an infant three years old, whose clothes took fire by accident on the 6th of last month, and burnt him so as to accelerate his death last Thursday. Verdict - "Accidental Death."

On Monday last an aged man, who had resided many years at a cottage called Poison Duck, on the banks of the Thames, in the parish of Hurley, was found drowned in the Thames opposite his own house. He had been to a public house for some beer for his wife's supper, and on his return is supposed to have fallen into the water, owing to the darkness of the evening, as his bottle with the beer was found on the water side.

On Wednesday Mr.Joseph Barnard on going to Maidenhead market put his horse up at the Sun Tap, on the entrance of that town from Henley, and went down to the market. Soon after he was gone a man of respectable appearance went into the stable and out again; at length he desired the ostler to bring him his horse. "Which is it," enquired the ostler ? "What, not know my horse?" rejoined the other; "The roan to be sure". The roan was saddled and brought out to him, he mounted it, gave the ostler a shilling, and immediately rode off, neither the ostler, Mr.Barnard, whose horse it was, nor any one else noticing , or being since able to learn what route the rascal has taken.