Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

5th March 1842

Singing for the Million

On Monday night a large number of persons were present at the Town-hall by invitation to hear the performances of the members of the "Windsor and Eton Amateur Musical Class," who were accompanied by several instrumental performers from the band of the Royal Horse Guards. The society has not long been formed, and as its meetings have not till that Monday night been made public, it was not generally known that it was in existence. From the printed programme of the pieces selected for the exhibition of the talents of the amateurs we will take the following, which will furnish our readers with some particulars relative to the society that may be thought interesting, and which may at the same time prove beneficial to it. "The Windsor and Eton Amateur Musical Class was established in November last, since which it has held weekly meetings, and numbers at the present time between 40 and 50 members. Of these, but very few were acquainted with music when the class was first formed, and they therefore venture to hope on this, their first public appearance, for the indulgence of their auditors, in consideration of the shortness of time since they commenced their pleasing labours, and the many difficulties they have had to surmount. The plan on which they have proceeded, has been similar to that adopted, with such great success, by Mr.Hullah and others in London and its suburbs; and as the music chiefly practised is of a sacred character, they are not without hope that their labours may prove serviceable in the improvement of psaimody in these towns and the vircinity.

As the society, in its progress, will find it necessary to provide music, and incur other expenses, it will be glad to receive any assistance from those who may feel disposed to encourage this endeavour to promote, in however humble and unpretending a manner, the noble science and study of music." The pieces sung were the following:- Anthem -"Lord, for they tender mercies sake." Chorus.- "We will rejoice." Motett.- "How still and peaceful is the Grave." Canon - "Non nobis Domine." Chorus - "And the Glory." Chorus - "For unto us." Chorus - "Halleluja." The pieces it was announced being merely experimental, would be repeated, and although their performance was not "first rate," still if "but very few were at all acquainted with music when the class was first formed," it was quite evident that those who form it have made rapid progress. The amatuers were also ably assisted by the youthful choristers of St.George's Chapel, and the whole led by Dr.Elvey, the director of the class. The different pieces were loudly applauded, and the company appeared pleased with the exhibition.

Literary Institution

On Wednesday evening the first of a course of lectures on Electrotype Manipulation, was delivered by the secretary of the Electrical Society, Charles V.Walker, Esq. After stating that the experimental portions of this art are within the reach of any one possessing ordinary industry, the lecturer said he would use his best endeavours so to trace out the path to be pursued, that all who feel inclined to repeat his experiments may be supplied with the means. He preferred devoting the first lecture to the explanation of voltaic electricity, upon which the art of electrotype depends, conceiving that if in the outset he disclosed the foundation stone of the edifice, the auditors would be better fitted to follow him, when he came to the actual application of the laws of science. With respect to the science of the subject, he endeavoured to explain away an objection which may urge against entering into such studies. He said to the minds of many a question presents itself relative to the "use" of such knowledge to them, the "advantage" they may expect from it; and he showed that it was a false philosophy to conclude, because men can go through their mundane avocations without the aid of scientific knowledge, they are therefore "better" without it, or "not better" with it. He concludes that as such knowledge expands in the mind, it makes a man a better companion, a better citizen, and a better christian.

As the subject was illustrated with diagrams and experiments, we cannot give any thing beyond a brief sketch. After explaining the constituents of a voltaic arrangement, Mr.Walker directed his hearers attention to one especial property of such arrangements, viz., their power over chemical compounds in reducing them to their elements. He operated upon water by means of platinum plates, reducing it to its constituents, oxygen and hydrogen. He then changed the plate, where oxygen appeared, to one of copper, and shewed that although the water was decomposed, the oxygen was not visible; it had combined with the copper, forming an oxide of that metal, which was afterwards dissolved by the sulphuric acid that had been added to the water. Having allowed this action to continue some time, the liquid acquired a blueish tinge, indicating the presence of sulphate of copper, and the platinum plate, which at the commencement of the experiment had given off hydrogen, ceased to do so; and upon being removed from the solution , was found to be coated with copper. A solution was then employed, consisting of sulphate of copper in water, and the same general results were shown: namely , that one plate supplied copper, and one plate received it. The lecturer then stated that one branch of the art consists in preparation of the plates, or moulds to receive this copper; that at the next lecture he would go through the entire process of mould making, and would also describe the construction of all the apparatus required for electrotype purposes. The table was furnished with specimens of original medals and plaster casts; at the next lecture a large variety of electrotype medals will be exhibited, and also various specimens of other applications of the art.

Sir John Elley's Bequest to the Corporation of New Windsor

It will be remembered that the late Sir John Elley bequeathed by his will the sum of 1,000 to the Mayor, Aldermen, Burgesses, and "Rector" of New Windsor, in trust, to be lent out in small sums to tradesmen in the town who may require such loans, but although a considerable period has now elapsed since the death of the gallant officer, the money has not been paid. This has been owing to a technical objection as to the testator's meaning, the parish being a lay-rectory, whereas there was no doubt the deceased meant to name the vicar.The question was disposed of by the Master of the Rolls on Tuesday, as will be seen in out Law intelligence, when Lord Langdale ordered that payment to be made to the "vicar," mayor, aldermen and burgesses. There is therefore now every probability that the money will soon be received by the trustees for appropriation according to the testator's intentions.

Election of Auditors and Assessors

On Tuesday the election of Auditors and Assessors of the borough for the ensuing year took place at the Town-hall. There was no opposition. The following gentlemen were re-elected Assessors - Mr.John Roberts and Mr.Josiah French for the Out-ward; Mr.Millard and Mr.J.Brown for the In-ward. Assessors to revise the burgess lists, Mr.C.Voules and Mr.T.W.Marlin; Auditors - Mr. W.De St.Croix was re-elected, and Mr.Fowler was elected in the room of Mr.R.T.Newman. The Mayor re-appointed Mr.R.Blunt as his auditor.

Frogmore Lodge

A number of workmen are at present employed under the superintendance of Mr.Ingram, in the formation of the new kitchen gardens at Frogmore. Mr.Chadwick, the contractor of the boundary walls, entrances, and buildings to be erected, also commenced operations; and although a considerable quantity of work is to be done, but few months will be occupied in its performance.

Eton College

Lord Holland has just presented to Eton College a beautifully executed bust by an Italian sculptor, copied from the original by Nollekens, of his illustrious relative the late Charles James Fox, which, for the present has been placed in the College library. It is a remarkably pleasing likeness of the "great statesman and friend to truth," conveying, in a most striking manner, the perculiar kindness and strength of thought which were so singularly combined in his expressive features. Mr.Behnes, the sculptor, has been appointed to execute a bust of the Duke of Newcastle for the college. Busts of the following distinguished personages, who were educated at Eton, have within the past few months been presented to the college :- Lord Grenville, executed by Nollekens, presented by the Duke of Buckingham; the Right Hon.George Canning, presented by his son Viscount Canning; Lord North, presented by his nephew, Lord Guildford.

Late Attempted Arson at Old Windsor

It will be recollected that we gave in our paper of the 11th of Dec., an account of an extraordinary attempt made by a young female named Maria Russell, who is only sixteen years of age, to set fire to the residence of her mistress, Mrs. Jane Wright, of Old Windsor, on the 3rd of the month. The girl was tried for the offence on Saturday last at the assizes for the county. The circumstances of the case as described by Miss Wright in her evidence were these:- On the night of the 3rd of Dec., after the prisoner had retired to bed, she (Mrs W) went over the house, as usual, to see that all was safe, and then went up herself. At about three o'clock in the morning, she heard some noise, which induced her to get up, and, on going out of the room, she saw the prisoner on the stairs, and asked her what she was about; she replied that she thought it was time to get up. Witness told her to go back to bed, as it was only three o'clock. She shortly afterwards smelt something burning, and again rose and went down stairs, where she found, on the kitchen floor, some kindlers, or faggots of wood burning. The floor, although discoloured, was not burnt. The prosecutrix then locked the girl in her room, but, on going to her afterwards, found she had jumped out of the window, (a distance of fourteen feet); a search was made for her, and, after six or seven hours, she was found sitting a short distance from the house, speechless. Mr.Justice Cresswell stopped the case, and informed the jury that the charge of arson could not be maintained, as the floor had not been actually burnt. The prisoner was therefore acquitted. Her counsel, Mr.Carrington, stated that he believed he had sufficient to shew that it was a case of Somnambulism.

Melancholy Case of Sudden Death

On Tuesday afternoon an inquest was held at the Castle Inn, in this town, before Mr.Marlin, coroner for the borough, on the body of James Coffin, late the cook of that hotel, aged about 28 years.

Mr.Holderness the surgeon, stated that he was called to the deceased about 11 o'clock on the previous night, and when he arrived he found him dying from a rupture of a blood vessel in the lungs. Witness understood from the persons about the deceased that he had been subject to a cough for the last few days, and that he had been spitting blood. Witness attended him about three months ago, but that was for a disorder of which he got cured. Witness conceived on this occasion that the deceased was suffocated by the blood from one of the large vessels of the lungs bursting. He had no doubt that that was the cause of death.

To a question by the jury, Mr.Holderness said he believed the deceased was a man of intemperate habits.

Thomas Sevenoaks stated that he was "under boots" of the Castle Inn, and had known the deceased about six months. The deceased used to drink, but he was sober on the preceeding night. Witness saw him several times that day. At about 25 minutes past ten o'clock on Monday night, witness and deceased went up stairs to bed, witness sleeping in the next room to deceased. Witness had not been above a quarter of an hour in bed when the deceased called to him, he went immediately to the deceased's room, and found him with his head out of the bed, and bleeding at the mouth. He desired witness to fetch Dennis, the waiter, which he did. The deceased had not appeared at all unwell before he went to bed. Witness afterwards sent for Mr.Holderness, and then went back to the deceased, who was spitting blood, and Dennis was with him. He Holderness came immediately he was sent for. The deceased said he had broken a blood vessel, and in a few minutes he appeared to be choking. He died a few minutes after Mr.Holderness arrived. He had not complained to the witness of being affected with a cough, and he did not cough after he got into bed.

John Dennis, a waiter at the Castle Inn, stated that he had known the deceased for the last seven years, when he (deceased) lived at Southampton. The deceased was always considered intemperate in his habits. During the previous day, and also when he went to bed, he was sober. Deceased had a sort of dry cough during the last few days. Witness saw him in the kitchen before he went to bed, when he (deceased) was doing what it was his duty to do. He was then sober, but he had been drinking. When the last witness came for him, he (witness) went directly to the deceased's room, when he found him leaning out of the bed, and vomiting a quantity of coagulated blood, which he continued to do until he was black in the face, and appeared to be choking. Mr.Holderness came, but he expired in about two or three minutes after that gentleman's arrival. When witness first went up to deceased, the latter said "It's all up with me," and a minute or two afterwards he said, "Lord have mercy on my soul," after which he did not speak again. He seemed to struggle very hard.

The jury returned a verdict that the deceased died by the visitation of God, caused by suffocation, arising from the bursting of a blood vessel.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode, Esq. (mayor) and Robert Blunt, Esq.]

John Carter was charged on suspicion of stealing a quantity of empty pint and quart bottles from the premises of Mr.Samuel Pocock, landlord of the Clarence Inn.

The prisoner was an old offender. He was tried in 1837 and convicted for having counterfeit coin in his possession, when he was sentenced to twelve months imprisonment, and besides he has been summarily convicted and fined by the magistrates.

Mr.C.S.Voules attended on the present occasion as the prisoner's solicitor.

Mr.Pocock deposed that he had lost a large quantity of bottles from a hamper in his coach-house, and in consequence he gave information to the police. He only knew the prisoner as having occasionally frequented his tap-room. The bottles were patent ones, and used for Guinness's porter. He now produced one of the same sort, and the one produced by the policeman, Sexton, was exactly like it, but had apparently been washed, and there was no label on it. He could not however positively swear to it, nor had he any reason to suspect the prisoner or any other person in particular.

Cross-examined by Mr.Voules. A number of persons had access to the yard as well as the prisoner.

Henry Sexton, a policeman, stated that having had information of the robbery, he made enquiries, and he found that the prisoner had been offering some similar bottles for sale at a marine store dealer's shop, kept by a person named Ewers. He then apprehended the prisoner, and on telling him what it was for he (the prisoner) denied having any bottles. He admitted he had been to a person named Knowles to ask him the price of bottles. On further investigation, witness ascertained that the prisoner had sold some bottles to Mr.Newman, wine merchant of Peascod-street; he received one of the bottles now produced from Mr.Newman as having been sold to him by the prisoner. He understood also that the prisoner had sold some bottles to Mr.Veal, of the Three Tuns.

Cross-examined - The prisoner did not say that he went about to collect old bottles, or that he had been round Old Windsor collecting bottles.

Mr.Joseph Newman, wine merchant, and on Thursday last, he bought two dozen and two bottles of the prisoner, who said he was dealer and used to sell them to Ewers, but that having had some words with him he would sell them no more. He said Ewers used to give him 1s 10d a dozen for the quarts and 1s 8d for the pints, and witness gave him the same prices, paying him 3s 6d.

Mr.Charles Veal was called, but he declared he had never seen the prisoner before, and had not purchased any bottles of him. He had bought some of a lad who stated he was Ewer's son, but never of the prisoner. Indeed he would be glad to buy fifty gross of bottles if he knew where to get them.

Mr.Newman to a question by the magistrates said the bottles produced were what are called patent bottles, and were in very common use.

This being the whole of the evidence.

Mr.Voules submitted that there was no case against his client. Many persons had access to Mr.Pocock's yard and premises, and there was no proof that the prisoner had taken the bottles. The prisoner's statement to him (Mr.V.) was that he obtained his living by collecting bottles and afterwards selling them.

The magistrates thought there was not sufficient evidence at present against the prisoner, and therefore they discharged him, adding that he could be again apprehended should any further evidence be obtained.

Mr.Gillman, superintendent of police, said, when Carter was apprehended he had a table cloth in his possession, which he (Gillman) produced. A brief enquiry was made respecting it, and eventually the table cloth was ordered to be deposited for a short time with the police, to see if any person owned it.

The two boys, Clarke and Sexton, of the respective ages of ten and nine years, who had been remanded on a charge of stealing some iron railings from Clarence Crescent, the property of Mr.Bedborough, were brought up, and after a reprimand, discharged.

Mr.James Bennett, who has for many years been employed at the Royal Gardens, Datchet-lane, attended to prefer a complaint of misconduct against Charles Brown, a policeman, who had only been recently appointed to his office.

It appeared that on Saturday afternoon Brown saw Bennett going along the street with a bundle, and, as some shoes had been stolen from a shop in Eton, of which the Windsor police had been acquainted, Brown asked him what he had got in his bundle. Bennett, who had several pairs of shoes in it, refused to tell him what he had, unless he went with him to Mr.Cleave's, whither he said he was going. This, however, Brown declined to do, but took him to the station house, where he (Mr.Bennett) was recognised by Mr.Gillman, who apologised for Brown's having caused him any inconvenience, and set him at liberty. Bennett complained now of the usage he had received, but not wishing to injure the policeman, he said he would be satisfied if he made an apology in the public papers.

The magistrates expressed their regret at Brown's having so acted, but said that that policeman had had but little experience. His only excuse was that the police had knowledge of a robbery in Eton, and they were ordered, therefore, to keep a sharp look out. Still he had behaved very improperly. However, considering all the circumstances, their worships suggested that the complainant should be satisfied if Brown now apologised to him, instead of signing an apology to be inserted in the papers.

This suggestion was at length acceded to by the complainant, and Brown having made the requisite apology, the matter was terminated.

James Butcher, in the employ of Mr.John Lawrence, of Reading, was charged with driving his horse against the shop of Mr.Millerd, of Thames-street, Windsor, and thereby damaging it to the amount of three guineas. It appeared that he was drunk at the time, and the police took him to the station-house, and lodged his horse and cart in the green-yard.

The magistrates liberated the prisoner, but ordered the horse and cart to be detained for the present until Mr.Lawrence was communicated with respecting payment of the damage.

[Before John Clode, Esq. (mayor) and J.Banister, Esq.]

Edward Towers was charged with assaulting Eliza Giles.

It appeared that the complainant, who resided at the house of a woman named Casey, in George-street, went home on the previous evening about a quarter past ten o'clock with another young woman and two young men. The prisoner lodged in the same house, and on a dispute occurring between her and one of the young men, the prisoner came into the room and struck her several blows. The complainant's face bore evident marks of ill-treatment, being cut in several places, and her eyes being bruised. A policeman named Charles Brown, was called in, and he was also assaulted by the prisoner.

The prisoner was fined 10s, and 5s 6d costs, and being unable to pay the money, he was committed to prison for 14 days.

Egham, Saturday, March 5.

For some time past the neighbourhood of Englefield Green has been infested with thieves, who have committed depredations to a very great extent, and particularly within the last two or three weeks with little means being used by the parties plundered either to detect the perpetrators or to prevent their hitherto successful plunder, the extensive parish of Egham being without either police or nightly watch. Within the above stated period, the residence of Lionel Harvey, Esq., has been broken into twice, and considerable property stolen without any clue being obtained. The garden and tool houses at Cooper's Hill, occupied by Mr.French, but the property of G.S.Harcourt, Esq., of Ankerwyke, having been twice entered, and a quantity of garden tools and valuable seed stolen therefrom, in both these cases the robbery was committed on the same night, and from the traces left it is evident a donkey and cart had been used to carry the property away. The premises of Mr.King, sawyer, near the National School, Englefield Green, have been several times robbed within a short period, and to some extent. On Saturday night last or early on Sunday morning, the premises of Mr.G.Watson, near Waterloo House, were entered by the thieves, forcing some strong iron bars from a back window, and completely emptying the larder of a quantity of meat and other articles, with which they got clear off. In fact robberies take place almost nightly; the poor cottagers are losing their gates, palings, posts, potatoes, &c., the thieves not being particular as to what they can lay their hands on.

Death of a Miserly Ostler

In the early part of last week Peter Vine, who had been for many years ostler at the Wheatsheaf Inn, Virginia Water, departed this life; he had been subject to illness latterly, but not to suppose he would leave this world so soon. A short time before his death (it being supposed he had some money) he was importuned by his friends around him to state where he had placed it, but he obstinately refused, and expired a few minutes afterwards. On the Friday before his death he followed his mother to the grave at Guildford, and murmured at paying 2 towards defraying her funeral expenses. Information of his death was forwarded to one of his brothers residing at Bagshot, who went to the Wheatsheaf Inn to arrange about a burial. The keys of his boxes were not to be found, they were broken open, and in the corner of one of them were found nearly five hundred pounds in gold, and a quantity of silver and copper monies, which have since been equally divided between his two surviving brothers.

Maidenhead, Saturday, March 5.

At the assizes for this county yesterday week, a girl named Harriet Shurley, was tried upon two indictments for felonies committed in this town. The first was for stealing a gown piece the property of Mr.James Whittle; and the second was for stealing three gown pieces and a pair of boots the property of Mr.T.T.Soundy. She was convicted on both charges and sentenced to six months hard labour upon each case. There was a third charge against her for stealing two waistcoats and a pair of shoes belonging to Mr.D.Stone, but the case was not gone into.

Uxbridge, Saturday, March 5.

We last week gave an account of an inquest held at the White Hart Inn, Hayes, on the body of a child named James Harris, at which it appeared that the conduct of the deceased's father had been so bad that the jury agreed to present a memorial on the subject to the magistrates. Accordingly at the petty sessions held at Uxbridge, on Monday last, the memorial was presented by Mr.Shackle and several of the jury. The chairman (Sir W.S.Wiseman), after reading the document, said, the bench was at all times most anxious to assist, by a strict and impartial performance of their duties, the cause of humanity and justice. In the present case, however, they were placed in perculiar difficulties. On Saturday, Mrs.Harris, mother of deceased, had appeared before them for the purpose of swearing the peace against her husband, but on questioning her, it appeared that although his conduct had been formerly most violent towards her, he had not struck her for a month, and the same time had elapsed since he had threatened her life, and eventually the woman declined to swear that she went in fear of his taking her life. The magistrates had therefore no power to interfere for the punishment of the man on the charge of ill-treatment of the wife, and although his conduct had been most brutal in keeping his family with scarcely any food, yet the bench could not interfere unless the complaint on that head was brought properly before them by the parish officers. The worthy magistrate also said the man had been committed by him in April last in default of bail for six months for ill-using his wife, who, however, did not bear the best of characters herself.

Mr.Shackle observed, that the jury felt very strongly the necessity of something being done to insure proper food for the two remaining children, who, according to the evidence of Mr.Chadwick, were, like half children in that neighbourhood, living upon nothing but potatoes and Swede turnips, and most of whom were eaten up by worms. The jury also felt they could not entirely exonerate the surgeon from blame, in not having, when he saw the distressed state of the wife and children, which he acknowledged he had frequently witnessed during the previous three of four years, given them an order for meat and other relief. Mr.Chadwick, however, had excused himself by saying that his duty was only medical; that he had no right or power to order relief to the wife and family of a man earning 15s a week, as Harris did, but must look to the interest of the rate-payers as well as the paupers, and were he to commence doing so he would have to repeat it full 50 times a week.

Sir W.Wiseman expressed his surprise that Mr.Chadwick could be ignorant that he was justified in ordering relief in all cases of urgent necessity. He (Sir W.Wiseman) had frequently told him so himself, and he believed he could confidently say Mr.Chadwick had in some cases given such orders, which had been immediately attended to. The churchwardens and overseers in every parish also possessed the same power in urgent cases.

Mr.Stockwell, the relieving officer, declared he had never refused any order signed by Mr.Chadwick for relief, but he had received several, which he had attended to.

The bench then recommended that if Harris should again in any way illtreat or threaten his wife, he should be brought before them on a peace warrant; or that, should the children be found to be again in such a state of destitution as was sworn to at the inquest, they should be at once taken to the Union Workhouse, when the Board of Guardians would immediately apply to the magistrates to punish Harris as he deserved.

The jury, having thanked the bench for their courtesy and attention, then withdrew.

High Wycombe, Saturday March 5
Town Council

On Tuesday last the following persons were elected Auditors and Assessors for the borough without opposition - Auditors , Messrs, W.T.Butler, Saunders Nash; Assessors, Messrs. Henry Cook, Charles Harman; Mayor's Auditor, Mr.P.Wright.


On Tuesday an inquest was held in the parish of Wooburn, on view of the body of a poor man, named Stephen Hance, aged 68 years, a pauper of that parish, who was found dead the previous day in a barn of Mr.Andrews, of the Mother Red Cap public-house. Verdict - "Died by the visitation of God."

The fine portrait, by our talented artist and townsman, Steers, of Mr.John Rolfe, of Beaconsfield, is now in our Town Hall for the inspection of subscribers, and we understand will shortly be presented to that well known agriculturist.

Hounslow, Saturday, March 5
Explosion at Messrs. Curtis and Co's Powder Mills

Scarcely has the excitement occasioned throughout this neighbourhood by the late melancholy occurrence began to subside, before we have to announce to other explosions on the works of Messrs Curtis and Harvey, which have, however, most providentially been unattended by fatal consequences. The first took place in the afternoon of Saturday last, about twenty minutes to three o'clock, in a powder-room near to the scene of the previous explosion. The building in question is used as a store for dry powder, but was at the time empty, it being supposed that there was within it not a single pound of gunpowder. Two men named John Irish, about twenty-two years of age, and William Fox, about the same age, both of them in the service of Messrs. Curtis and Co., were sent in to sweep it up, and while so engaged, from some cause at present unexplained, except that they neglected first to damp the floor, the loose powder exploded, by the force of which the windows of the building were broken and the men injured, Irish being dreadfully burnt about the head and face, so as to be temporarily deprived of sight, and Fox, who jumped through one of the windows into the mill-stream, was burned about the hands and arms. Both sufferers were promptly conveyed to their residences at Hounslow, and were immediate attended by Mr.Frogley, surgeon of this town. They are, we understand, doing well, and likely to recover. The second explosion took place on Monday morning, about half past eight o'clock, when the inhabitants of the country round, for a radius of four or five miles, were alarmed by a loud report, which on inquiry was found to have occurred at other works belonging to the same firm, situated at Hatton, near Bedfont, about four miles from Houslow, by which the roof of a green charged mill was, it is stated, blown off, but without any person being either killed or injured.

Faringdon, Saturday, March 5

On Monday night the annual meeting of the members of the association for the prosecution of felons took place at the Salutation Inn, when the treasurer's accounts were audited and bounties awarded to those persons who had been the means of convicting such as had committed depredations on the property of the members. Mr.Pike catered a very excellent dinner for the occasion, and after the business was concluded the party, which consisted of about thirty persons, devoted the remainder of the day to the "Jolly God." Several new members were elected which circumstance affords us much pleasure, as institutions like the present ought most certainly to be supported by the agriculturists and others whose property is exposed to the malicious acts of evil doers.

On the 25th ult., at Maidstone, Mrs John Ramsbottom, of a son.

On the 27th ult., in London, Mr.Trayton Weston, of Haddenham, to Miss Ann White, of Princes Risborough, both formerly of High Wycombe.
On the 1st inst., at Worcester, by the Rev.F.Williams, Mr.Edward C.Berridge, of Windsor, to Mary Anne, daughter of Thomas Cox, Esq., of Worcester.
On the 3rd inst., at St James Church, Piccadilly, Miss Louisa Gould, of Windsor, to Mr.Charles Tatner, of Gravesend.

On the 25th ult., at Uxbridge, Mrs Charlotte Warwick, aged 62.
On the same day, at Uxbridge, Mrs.Ann Goodman, aged 77.

On the 26th ult., at his house, 42 Weymouth-street, Portland-place, George Cathrow, Esq., of Hoddesden, Herts and of Aimners, Chertsey, Surrey, in his 67th year.
On the 27th ult., at Eton, Elizabeth Watts, 39 years in the service of the late Dr.Goodall, in her 70th [?] year, much respected and lamented.
On the same day, suddenly, Miss Summers, of Fan-grove Lodge, Chertsey, Surrey.
Lately, at Claptons, Wooburn, near High Wycombe, Mrs.Fromow, aged 89 years, sincerely respected and regretted.