Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

30th July 1842

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before J.Clode,Esq.(Mayor), and R.Blunt, Esq.]

Mrs.Catherine Baker, wife of Mr.George Baker, of Peascod-street, was charged with wilfully damaging some clothing the property of her late servant, Angelina Filbey.

It appeared that in consequence of some alleged impropriety on the part of the complainant, her mistress, about six weeks ago last Wednesday, gave her warning to leave her service, and on quitting her clothes were to be sent after her. Those clothes were in a box in Mrs.Baker's house, and when they were sent home to the complainant's father they were found torn, and consequently much damaged. The injury done to the clothes were stated by the complainant to amount to 30s.

Mrs.Baker declared she did not damage the girl's clothes, which were sent home as they were left in her house.

Several witnesses were examined, but it did not appear who had actually done the damage to the clothing, which was very much torn, but there were also lodgers in Mrs.Baker's house.

Eventually the magistrates assessed the damage at 10s 7d, which, with 8s 6d costs, Mrs.Baker paid.

Thos.Hutt was charged with assaulting George Duckett, but as the alleged offence was committed without the precincts of the borough, the case was referred to the county magistrates.

Caleb Godman and Elizabeth, his wife, were charged with being drunk and disorderly. They were reprimanded and discharged; as was also Jane Smith, brought up on a similar charge.

Wm.Morrison, Sarah Maria Morrison, and James Morgan , were charged with maliciously damaging and breaking two-windows in the house of William Langford, of Love-lane. After the examination of several witnesses the magistrates dismissed the case as not being proved.

Sarah Wilcox was next charged with assaulting William Langford, but the proof failed, and this case was also dismissed.

Langford himself was then re-examined on the charge made at the instance of Mr.Bailey, the relieving officer of the Windsor Union, for leaving his wife chargeable to the parish. The defendant, it will be recollected, underwent an examination last week, and we then reported the particulars of the case. The magistrates committed him to the House of Correction, and to hard labour, for one month. He was, however, allowed two days to give notice of an appeal, which he stated his intention of doing; but not having done so, he has since been removed to the county gaol.

[Before Robt.Blunt,Esq., and Wm.Legh, Esq.]

The noted George Skinner was charged with being drunk and disorderly. He has been numerous times in custody for similar acts, but generally contrives to escape pretty well off, and this time the magistrates were equally forgiving, and he was only reprimanded, and then set at liberty again.

Mr.Joseph Willer, of the Free-House, Clewer-lane, was charged with allowing drinking in his house during divine service on Sunday the 17th inst. He was admonished , and ordered to pay the costs of the summons.

John Lipscombe was summoned to show cause why he refused to give up a dog, which was alleged to be the property of Wm.Hand. The witness not being in attendance, the case was adjourned to Monday.

Eton College - Election Saturday and Monday

On Saturday last what is termed "election Saturday" took place at Eton College, immediately on the arrival of the Rev.Dr.Thackeray, Provost of King's College Cambridge, with the two "Posers," the Rev.Mr.Harvey and John Law, Esq., both of King's College. The doctor was received with the annual cloister speech, delivered by Tarver, ma , K.S., the son of the French Master. In the afternoon the public speeches to be delivered on the Monday were recited by the scholars, in the upper school, shortly after which the Etonians proceeded to the Brocas to have their election regatta. The evening was exceedingly fine, and the company assembled to witness it were very numerous, including many persons of rank - relatives and friends of scholars.

A few minutes past seven o'clock seven boats richly decorated with flags, and preceded by the military band, started for Surley Hall, manned, and in the following order:-

1. The Monarch (10 oar) - Messrs. Richards, captain, Woolley,ma., Fellows,ma., Craster, Ainslie, Heygate, Hulse, Clive, Harkness, ma., and Mount; Whitmore, steerer.

2. The Victory - Messrs. Tulse, captain, Courtenay, Pepys, Codrington, Sir.M.S.Stewart, Woodbridge, ma., Lord Henley, and Townley, ma.; Viscount Belgrave, steerer.

3. The Prince of Wales - Messrs. Stapleton, captain, Back, ma., Harkness, ma., Bill, Speke, Peel, ma., Lambton and Peel, mi.; Smith, ma., steerer.

4. The Britannia, first lower boat. - Messrs. Ffolliot, captain, La Strange, Sutton, ma., Turton, Burton, Babington, Wilson, Oxenden; Lord Cecil, steerer.

5. The Dreadnought - Lord Guernsey, captain, Messrs. Lutterell, ma., Hyatt, Lomax, Fellowes, mi., Burleigh, Myers, ma., and Broughton; Hon. Mr.Finch, steerer.

6. The Thetis - Peel, captain, Turton, Digby, Lord Dunkellin, Baille, ma., Magniac, Lord Dufferin, and Kendal; Hervey, steerer.

7. The Etonian - Blanchard, captain, Barton, Adlington, Ernest, Edmonds, Brooke, Pearce, and Midgeley; Hawthorn, steerer.

On their arrival at Surley-Hall, a splendid cold collation was partaken by the Etonians and their friends, after doing ample justice to which, they started on their return to Windsor, when a splendid exhibition of fireworks took place on the eyot opposite the Brocas, the shore on each side of the river and the bridge being crowded with spectators. The Rev.Dr.Hodgson, Provost of Eton, entertained a numerous party to dinner the same evening.

On Monday (Election Monday) a large company, including many persons of distinction, were invited to breakfast with the Rev.Dr.Hodgson, the Provost, after which they proceeded to the Upper School room to hear the speeches of the scholars.

The speeches, which were delivered in the following order, were commenced immediately upon the entrance of the provost, accompanied by the Bishop of Gloucester, the Provost of King's, and his numerous friends and visitors, and terminated between 12 and one o'clock:-

1. Legat. Teucierorum (Tacitus) - Woodhouse.
2. Legat. Tusculanorum (Livius) - Monck.
3. Caractacus (Mason) - Clive.
4. Oedipus (Sophocles) - Bastard.
5. Lord Strafford (State Trials) - Carter, K.S.
6. Camillus (Livius) - Summer.
7. Anthony (Shakespere) - Tarver [?], ma., K.S.
8. Hanno (Livius) - Luxmoore, ma.
9. Edward II (Marlow) - Browning, mi., K.S.
10. E.Phillipp. I. (Demosthenes) - Wolley, ma.
11. Cassius and Brutus (Shakspere) - Mount and Hulse.
12. Darif Legatus ad Alexandrum (Curtiua) - Marriott.
13. Richard II (Shakespere) - Smith, Pigott, ma., K.S.
14. Pro Marcello (Cicero) - Simonds, ma., K.S.
15. Sfoza (Massinger) - James, K.S.
16. Ajax (Sophocles) - Ainslie.
17. Prince Henry and Henry IV (Shakspere) - Rice, K.S., and Browning, ma., K.S.

The delivery of the speeches was excellent, and elicited great applause.

At three o'clock a splendid entertainment was given by the Provost of Eton, to a large party, consisting of nearly 100 distinguished persons, in the college-hall. The magnificent silver model of the chapel , presented the the college by his late Majesty, was displayed on the occasion. After dinner the company adjourned to the Provost's-hall, to partake of a splendid dessert and some of the choicest wines. There the usual loyal and appropriate toasts were drank and responded to. The Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and the American Minister, H.Everett, Esq. , were among the guests.

As soon as the party had broken up the annual examination and election of scholars to supply the vacancies upon the foundation of the college were proceeded with, when 23 foundation scholars were admitted.

James, the senior King's scholar, upon the foundation at election, 1842, has succeeded to a fellowship at King's College, Cambridge, rendered vacant by the resignation of the Rev.W.Elliott. The collegers will return to Eton on Wednesday the 31st of August, the lower school on the following day; the lower boys of the upper school on Saturday, the 3rd of September, and the fifth and sixth forms in the week following.

The extensive improvements for a long time contemplated in the college chapel were commenced on Monday morning and will be completed before the re-opening of the school. The whole of the ancient oak wainscoting is to be removed from the stalls to the east end. The Grecian urns and pillars of the altar-piece are likewise to be removed, and the Gothic walls restored to their original state. Stone altar rails will also be erected, and likewise a carved stone pulpit at the eastern extremity of the sacred edifice. The whole of the alterations are superintended by Mr.Shaw, architect.

Uxbridge , Saturday, July 30.
Petty Sessions - Friday July 23
[Before Sir W.Wiseman, Bart., and T.Dagnall, Esq.]

William Callagan, a private soldier belonging to the rifle brigade, at present stationed in this town on recruiting service, was charged by police constable 71, Thomas Smith, with being drunk and disorderly and creating a disturbance in Windsor-street, and threatening to stab Mr and Mrs. Reynolds, of the Crispin beer-house, situate in that street. It appeared from the statement of the police constable that between six and seven o'clock on the previous night he received information that a soldier was very drunk and disorderly at the above named house; the constable immediately (in company with sergeant Dunbar of the rifles) made his way to the place; on arriving there they found the prisoner drunk and making a great noise; they tried to persuade him to be quiet, and go home; thinking he would do so, he was not then taken into custody. Shortly after Mr.Reynolds came out and stated to the constable that the prisoner had become very violent, and threatened to stab him and his wife; the policeman went back in again, got him out, and tried to persuade him to go to his quarters; he succeeded in getting him to the door of the house where he lodged, when he turned round, struck and kicked the constable, and swore that no policeman should take him to the station; he was then taken into custody, but made a most violent resistance, so much so that the constable was obliged to call upon Mr.Ingram, a respectable tradesman of the town, to aid and assist him, and while doing so he came in for his share of the blows and kicks from the now almost mad man. Mr.Rawlinson , a headborough, was next called upon to assist, and it was with the utmost difficulty that he could be got along to the station. While being conveyed to the lockup, a serjeant belonging to the 61st regiment, also recruiting in the town, made his appearance, and tried to excite the prisoner to resist the constable by making use of improper language, and holding a stick over his head, saying, "No, b- policeman should take any of the military to a station house." While in the act of doing so, Mr.Henry Norton, solicitor, who was passing at the time, went up to him and spoke to him. The prisoner was ultimately conveyed to the station, followed by a great crowd of persons, some of whom took up stones evidently with the intention of throwing them at the police, but were deterred by the presence of several respectable persons. The evidence having been gone through, and the case clearly proved against the prisoner, he was fined 5, or one month's imprisonment for the assault on the policeman, and 5 or one month for the assault on Mr.Ingram. He was committed to prison in default of payment.

Serjeant Maley, before spoken of as having interrupted the police in the execution of their duty, being in the room, and the circumstances having been mentioned to the bench, their worships ordered him to be placed at the bar, to show cause why he interfered with the policeman on the previous night while conveying the last prisoner to the station house. Proof in support of the charge having been given, he was asked what he had to allege in his defence. He said he went for the purpose of advising Callagan to go quietly with the police, and he did not know that he had done wrong in doing so; it was the practice in the army never to resort to strong measures, but to coax drunk and disorderly men to their quarters. Sir W.Wiseman said, that whatever might be the practice in the service he had nothing to do with, that the civil and not the military was what he had to do with; and while the police conducted themselves in a proper manner in the execution of their duty, they should and would be protected by the magistrates, and that no distinction of persons should be made, unless it was that the higher the delinquent the greater would be the punishment if the law allowed it. Mr.Dagnall having assented to Sir William's views of the case, the defendant was fined in the penalty of 2 10s, which was immediately paid.

William Brown, labourer, Uxbridge, was brought up by police constable John Scotney, charged on suspicion of stealing from the waggon of Messrs. Mercer, of Uxbridge, on the 18th inst., a parcel containing two 10 Bank of England notes, 26 sovereigns, and 4 10s in silver. He was remanded to Thursday.

Caution to Servants

Thomas Tompkins, servant to Mr. John Parrott, farmer, of Harmondsworth, was summoned for neglecting his work. Mr.Parrott stated that having occasion last week to leave home for a day, he did not return until towards evening; when he got home, he called for the prisoner to take the horse and do him up for the night, the prisoner was no where to be found, and Mr.Parrott was obliged to do the horse himself. He had been served this trick several times, but was determined if possible to put a stop to it, and so obtained the summons. The prisoner, when asked what he had to say to his defence, said that he did not expect his master home so soon that night, and had gone out for a while.

Sir W.Wiseman told him that was exactly the reason why he should not have absented himself. Mr.Parrott was asked if he had any wages belonging to the prisoner in hand; and he said he had 1 7s. He was then ordered to pay the prisoner 7s and to retain the other 20s in his own hand as security for the prisoner's good behaviour until his time was up. Out of the 7s handed over to Tompkins he had to pay for the summons, service, and attendance of the constable; it was also intimated to him that if he came there again a different course would be adopted with him.

Monday July 25

John White, labourer, of Hayes, who had been remanded from the last court day was brought up for final examination, charged, with another person not in custody, with committing a most cruel and violent assault on the person of police constable Thomas Cook, at Hayes, in June last. From the evidence of the constable (who from extreme weakness was unable to stand up to make his statement) who stated that between five and six o'clock on the afternoon of the 6th of June last, the prisoner and another man were given into his custody by Mrs.Langley, wife of Mr.John Langley, beer-house keeper, [please contact me at the email address above for the details of this case] - Dr.Stillwell was next called to prove the state Cook was in when first brought under his notice; also the nature of the injuries received. - Some other witnesses were called to corroborate the constable's statement; the whole were then bound over to appear and give evidence at the sessions to be held at Clerkenwell, and the prisoner was committed for trial.

George and Henry Chapman (brothers), were charged with stealing from the garden of Mr.Richardson , of Cowley, a quantity of gooseberries and peas, also for assaulting the police in the execution of their duty. From the evidence it appeared that about one o'clock on Sunday morning last, police constable Newland was patrolling the Cowley road, and when near Mr.Richardson's garden saw four men in it in the act of stealing fruit; finding that he would be unable to apprehend all the four, he watched them, and when they moved off he (the policeman) followed at a short distance, knowing that he must shortly meet his serjeant, which he luckily did a few minutes after; having told him what he had seen, they immediately determined to apprehend if not all, at least two of them; this was no sooner attempted to be done than a desperate struggle ensued between the police and the offenders, which lasted a considerable time, but ended in the capture of two of the thieves of the stolen fruit, the other two making their escape; they are both known to the officers. They were fined 5 each for each assault , and in default of payment were committed for two months each.

Thomas Saunders, a diminutive little fellow with a wooden leg, was brought in at the close of business charged by Mr.Brecknell, a tradesman of the town, with begging, or rather of making use of obscene and disgusting language to his (Mr.B.'s) wife, on being refused charity. On being asked his name and address he refused to give either, but finding that would not suit his purpose he gave the name of Thomas Saunders, and said he was a tailor by trade, adding that he did not care what they did with him - they might send him to the house of correction if they liked, but they could not make him tread the wheel he knew that, as it was not the first time he had been an inmate of that establishment. He was committed for one month.

Marlow, Saturday, July 30

The parish of Great Marlow has had no guardian in the Wycombe Union since Lady-day last until now. On Friday an election took place, every precaution being previously taken by the proper authorities to prevent every species of undue influence, bribery, and even canvassing. The state of the poll will therefore show how triumphantly Liberal principles would prevail there, if uninfluenced by power, and unawed by menace, intimidation , and bribery. Mr.W.Francis nominated Mr.Charles Susan, who had 267 votes; Mr. William Wright, 207; Mr.John Moss, 191. Mr.Robert Maddocks, the vicar's churchwarden, nominated Mr.Thomas Bell Gibbons, who had 140 votes; Mr.Thomas Rolls, jun., 120; and Mr.James Bird Brooks, 16. Mr.Maddocks contrived to get himself nominated by the parish clerk, but in another persons name; this was discovered, and the candidate being unqualified in other respects, was not allowed to stand the poll. The first three gentlemen were honourably elected; and their attention to the duties of their office in inspecting the state of the workhouse, &c., already shows how well qualified by their energy and discretion they are likely to prove for the duties of the office.

A fire broke out at Bisham Abbey last night week, but was happily extinguished with comparatively little injury. The coachman, it is supposed, had indulged in the reprehensible practice of reading in bed by candle light, by which the curtains caught fire, and he having fallen asleep was nearly suffocated by smoke before he was aroused from his perilous situation.

On the same night the eel boat of Mr.Johnson, of Medmenham Ferry, was said to be taken away with 70 pounds weight of eels; certain it is that his friends were obliged to put up with fresh salmon at their annual feast on Monday last instead of eels, but as the company were less numerous and select than on a former occasion, the disappointment was not complained of, and the rifle shooting made ample compensation.
On Tuesday last as Mrs.Lovegrove, of Widmere Farm, and another lady were returning from Windsor to Marlow in a pony chaise, they were thrown out by the shying of the pony near Water Oakley, when Mrs.Lovegrove had her arm broken in two places; her companion was slightly injured.