Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

28th May 1842

Ascot Heath Races

Now that the great Epsom meeting has terminated, the all engrossing object of the sporting circle is the forthcoming meeting at Ascot, which commences on Tuesday, the 7th of June, and continues for the three succeeding days. Although many persons were somewhat disappointed that her Majesty and her illustrious Consort did not attend Epsom on the "Derby Day," as it had been reported they would do (but we do believe there was no foundation for the report), the public may rest assured there will be "no mistake" about the usual royal visit at the Ascot meeting, when her Majesty and Prince Albert will be accompanied by their illustrious relatives, now on a visit to the Palace, and their numerous and distinguished suite. The presence of royalty at Ascot at all times adds to the popularity of this otherwise attractive and fashionable meeting. The course, by the continued exertions and attention of the indefatigable clerk (Mr.Hibburd), and from the late refreshing showers, is in the most perfect order for racing. Several horses have already arrived in the vircinity of the Heath, and many more are expected during the ensuing week; indeed, the approaching meeting is made manifest in a variety of ways. The Stewards of the races have announced the letting of the ground for the suttling booths and stables on the 2nd of next month, and for the fancy and gingerbread stalls on the 4th. The magistrates of Windsor have issued their caution to keepers of gaming tables; Mr.Layton has issued his notice of the race ball at the Town-hall, with the stewards of the races as stewards of the ball; and "Oxley's Official Card and Sheet List," by the authority of the stewards, is as usual duly announced, all of which will be found in our advertising columns. The latter announcement is highly necessary for us to make, for although some petty London printers have imposed on the race going public for some years by issuing "false cards," a neighbouring printer has now, for the first time, announced his intention of bringing out an opposition card to "Oxley's," stating that he has the authority of the stewards for doing so, which we undertake peremptorily to contradict. We are therefore doing but an act of justice to the public generally in cautioning them to be more particular than usual at the ensuing races in purchasing their cards, &c.

As the races cause a number of thieves of various descriptions to pay this town and neighbourhood a visit, the inhabitants cannot be too cautious in guarding against their handiwork also.

Tuesday last being the anniversary of her Majesty's birthday, it was observed in Windsor by the bells of the Castle and the parish church ringing merry peals, a royal salute being fired at noon in the Acre, and in the evening by some of the tradesmen illuminating their houses.

Present to Her Majesty

The Earl of Derby has recently presented to her Majesty two remarkably fine white Antelopes or Nyigmius[?], a male and female, which were last week forwarded to Windsor and placed in the paddocks at Cranbourne. It is intended to turn them loose in the open park next week.

Installation of a Military Knight of Windsor

Yesterday the installation of a Military Knight of the Lower Foundation, took place in St.George's Chapel. The new knight is Captain Machlan, late of the 57th Regiment, who succeeded Major Wathen, removed to the Upper Foundation in the place of the late Captain Skelton. Captain Machlan was introduced into the chapel by the two junior knights, Ensign Lamb and Quartermaster Johnson, and was installed with the usual forms. The Rev.Mr.Proby, the canon in residence, officiated on the occasion.

Feats on the Tight Rope

Signor Duvalla, whose feats on a tight and very elevated rope have been repeatedly announced lately, on Thursday and yesterday evenings performed the hazardous exploits of crossing over the Thames on a highly elevated rope. Notwithstanding the previous disappointments, the attendance of the public on both sides of the water and on the bridge was very numerous. The experiments were certainly bold ones, and we hope his reward, which depended on the free donations of the public, was a liberal one.


A cricket match was played in the college grounds, on Saturday last, between the students of Eton and the officers of the 15th foot, who were allowed to have Lord Drumianrig and another first rate player on their side. The match excited a considerable degree of interest, and many of the nobility and gentry were present, including Lord Howe, Lord Cuzon, the Hon.Wm.Ashley, Lord Braybrooke, Colonel Beal, the Rev.Dr.Hawtrey, and other masters of Eton, Lord Lennox, Lord George Manners, several officers of the royal blues and 15th foot, &c., the band of the 15th being in attendance. At the first innings the score of the parties (59) was equal, but in the second innings the Etonians proved victorious, with five wickets to go down. The bowling of Younge and Marcon, and the batting of Fellowes, Randolph, and Ainslie, on the Eton side was of the first order, and the batting of Horrocks and Lord Drumianrig, and the bowling of Sir.F.Bathurst, on the other side, was equally scientific.

On the night of yesterday week, the shop of Mr.Perkins, butcher, of Sunninghill, was broken open, and two rounds of beef, several joints of mutton, and twenty-eight pounds of suet stolen.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), and W.Legh, Esq.]

A miserable looking elderly man, named Robert Cobb, was brought up charged with wilfully breaking a piece of glass in the shop window of Mr.Noke, hatter, at the corner of Peascod-street.

Daniel Grass, a policeman, stated that on Friday morning about ten o'clock, he was on duty in High-street, when the prisoner accosted him, saying he was in great distress, and wanted relief. Witness directed him to Mr.Bailey, the relieving officer, at Old Windsor, and he went away. Witness saw him again about twelve o'clock, when he said he had been to Old Windsor, but Mr.Bailey was not at home, and he was tired of waiting. He said he had some disease about him which he wished to be cured, and he desired witness to take him into custody. He told prisoner he could not do that, as he had no charge against him; on that he turned round and knocked his stick through Mr.Noke's window, saying he did that because witness would not take him into custody.

The magistrates enquired what was the value of the square of glass, and Mr.Noke jun., said 4s or 5s.

The prisoner, in his defence, said he did the damage entirely through distress. He belonged to Norwich, and had been travelling about. He was unable to work, because he was afflicted with paralysis, and had lost the use of one of his hands.

The Bench told him the way to get relief was not by wantonly breaking people's windows. They ordered him to remain until it could be ascertained if the relieving officer was in Windsor. It appeared however that he was not, and the prisoner was then asked (as he had no money to pay for the damage) if he would immediately leave the town, supposing they were inclined to set him at liberty.

The prisoner replied that it was impossible for him to travel unless he had some relief given him, and Mr.Legh gave him a shilling, when he said he would leave the town, and he was then discharged.

[Before Robert Blunt and W.Legh, Esqrs.]

James and Harriet Aldridge, man and wife, were charged with assaulting Hannah, the wife of Demetrius Judson.

The parties and their witnesses, two on each side, are located in Huddlestone's-buildings, Sheet-street, where the quarrel out of which this assault arose, must have no doubt created some scandal and excitement.

It appeared from the testimony of the complainant and her witnesses, that on Monday morning last Mrs.Aldridge, in a menacing tone to Mrs.Judson, desired her to repeat what it had been asserted she (Mrs.A.) had on a previous day, said she had heard something said to the detriment of another of the fair denizens of Huddlestone's-buildings. This soon begat high words, and from them to blows and scratchings and tearing of hair. Mrs.A spat in Mrs.Judson's face, which was returned, and then they fell too on each other, Mrs.Aldridge first seizing Mrs.Judson by the hair, slapping her face, and stamping on her toes. Mrs.Judson admitted she was not idle, for she seized her doughty opponent by the back of her neck; this was in the presence of several of the female neighbours, and in the midst of the melee Mrs.A.'s husband came to the rescue of his spouse, and assaulted Mrs.Judson, who told the magistrates she let go her hold on her enemy, because it was impossible to stand against two of them.

The evidence contra was directly opposed by the complainant , who it was stated first spat on Mrs.Aldridge, and then scratched her face, and gave her a blow to the mouth, which drew the "claret." As to Aldridge it was sworn that he did no more than come to his wifes assistance, and separated the belligerents.

The magistrates were unable to fathom the matter as to decide who was the first aggressor, advised the parties to live as peaceable neighbours in future, and they dismissed the summons, ordering each party to pay their own costs.

The decision did not seem to please either of them, and they were about to fight a "wordy war" over again, when the chattering was peremptorily put a stop to by the next case being called on, and the ladies being politely handed out of court by the police with "Come, you may go."

John Harding Davis was charged with committing the following daring robbery.

From the testimony of the witnesses, five in number, it appeared that a person named Wm.Jackson, a carpenter, having finished some work he had been employed to do at the Castle, during which he lodged at Mrs.Cutt's, the Horse and Groom public-house, wished on Monday afternoon to return to London by the Great Western Railway, and he accordingly packed up his clothes and tools, and placed them in Mrs.Cutt's tap-room while he went out for a short time. The prisoner was then in the tap-room drinking some beer. One of the parcels of goods was a basket sewed up, in which were two black coats, three pair of stockings, a pair of drab trousers, two shirts, three pair of shoes, a flannel jacket, a cap, a pocket handkerchief, a clothes brush, a bench brush (to sweep a carpenter's bench), a deal box with two razors, and writing materials, Walker's Dictionary, a bottle of sweet oil, an axe, a gimlet, and several other small articles.

On the prosecutor's return to the tap-room in less than three quarters of an hour, he missed the basket and its contents, an on enquiry he ascertained that the servant of the house Laura Beesley, had seen the prisoner leave the house with the basket, but she did not know but it was his own. An enquiry was set on foot, and the same evening the prisoner was seen in the Goswell's with the basket, which he said he found on the bank of the Thames. Near where he had been, under an archway, was found the prosecutor's bench brush, and when he was apprehended by Clark, a policeman, and taken to the station-house, he dropped the prosecutor's gimlet from his jacket pocket. The basket, when examined by the prosecutor, contained all the articles he had placed in it, excepting a nearly new black coat, the box with the razors, one pair of stockings, and several other articles of little importance.

The prisoner was asked if he had any defence to make ?

He replied, "I shall not say a word."

He was then fully committed for trial.

Mr.Bailey, the relieving officer of the Windsor Union, attended to state to the bench, that understanding Robert Cobb, who was on Monday charged with breaking Mr.Noke's window, had said he had been to his (Mr.B.'s) house for relief, he had made every enquiry at home, and had ascertained that the man's story was false, for he had never been there at all.

The magistrates said that was no more than they expected, for they had at first an impression that Cobb was telling a falsehood.

Eton Police - Wednesday
[Before the Rev.Thos.Carter and the Rev.W.G.Cookesley.]

John Lack was brought up in the custody of Mr.Larkin, chief constable of Iver, charged with having stolen from the person of John Watkins, of Denham, between 2 and 3.

The robbery was committed about three months ago, but the prisoner has kept out of the way until the present time, when Larkin succeeded in apprehending him. Larkin stated that he wished the prisoner to be remanded until he was able to procure the attendance of a material witness, whose appearance he had not yet had time to obtain.

The prisoner was consequently remanded.

John Swabey, a lad about 17, was charged with absconding from the Eton Union Workhouse, where he had been maintained as a pauper, and carrying with him the clothes supplied to him at the expense of the Union.

The prisoner admitted his offence, and Mr.Atkins, the master of the Workhouse, having stated to the magistrates that he was instructed by the guardians to press for a punishment, the bench committed him to Aylesbury House of Correction for three months.

William Richardson was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Eton, and when he was locked up with damaging the cage.

The prisoner appeared very drunk and noisy, and he was in consequence conveyed to the cage, where he committed wilful damage, which was computed at from 10s to 15s.

The prisoner appeared exceedingly penitent for his two-fold offence, and attributed it all to the liquor he had taken.

The magistrates ordered him to pay 10s for the damage he had done, and on his asking to be allowed time they granted him a fortnight, ordering that some money, 2s 11 1/2d found on him when taken into custody, to be retained in part payment of the fine.

Frederick Mitcham, a drayman, was charged with riding on the shafts of his dray, on the road between Iver and Colnbrook.

It appeared that the man, who is in the service of Mr.Harris of Staines, was not only riding on the shafts without reins but that he was actually asleep and was in great danger, for if he had fallen he would almost to a certainty have been killed.

He was fined 20s and 18s costs, and not being able to pay, he was on his application for time allowed a fortnight, that is until the next bench day.

Hayes, Saturday May 28.

A vestry was held in the National School-room on Friday last, pursuant to public notice, for the purpose of making a church-rate. This subject has for some time past produced great contention in the parish, and the members of the church, from their dislike to their late curate's conduct, united with dissenters and refused to make a rate, so that no rate had been made for the last six years. On the present occasion the Rev.Mr.Hale, who has happily been appointed in the place of the Rev.Mr.Sturmer to the curacy, was unanimously voted to the chair. Mr.T.Shackle, the parish churchwarden, briefly stated the necessity which existed for a rate to be made, from the extensive repairs required in the belfry and other parts of the church.

He humorously observed that he would only ask for a fourpenny rate, but seeing how strongly his dissenting friends had rallied, he thought they would perhaps volunteer a sixpenny one. The resolution was seconded by Mr.Wilshin, churchwarden. Mr.Josiah Hunt moved an amendment to the effect "that all compulsory enactment's for the support of religious institutions were contrary to the principles of christianity, and that the question be adjourned for a twelve-month." Mr.W.Barden seconded the amendment. Mr.Woodruff observed that chapels were in general private property, and might be shut up at the caprice of the owners, and if the church were not opened the poor would have no place for religious worship under such circumstances. Mr.Mason would remind the vestry before they voted on the precept, "Whatsoever ye would that man should do to you do ye also to them." He considered the repairs should be paid for by voluntary contributions. He had no doubt the funds might be raised. Mr.Shackle said he was disposed to try a rate first, and then, if that failed, he was willing to try the voluntary principle (a laugh). Mr.Newman expressed his conviction that the time had arrived when it was desirable to make a rate. Mr.Briggs would vote for a rate.

Mr.Fleet said if the great body of parishioners were as sincere as the mover and seconder of the amendment, and as willing to make voluntary contributions for religious purposes, a rate would not be necessary, but Mr.Barden and Mr.Hunt had both formerly failed in their attempt to collect the sum requisite, and he would therefore vote for a rate, and he did not think he was violating any "christian principle" in wishing that the church be kept in repair. Mr.E.Shackle supported the rate. After Mr.Chadwick, Mr.Monroe, and others had addressed the meeting the votes were taken, when it appeared there were 42 for the rate, and 21 for the amendment, or two to one in favour of the rate. On the suggestion of Mr.Newman the sum inserted in the estimate for coals and candles was struck out, and Messrs. Wilshin and Briggs undertook to provide them.

Uxbridge, Saturday May 28.

An inquest was held on Saturday afternoon last at the Falcon, in this town, by T.Wakely, Esq. , M.P., on the body of Miss.A.Hall, and a verdict returned of "Natural Death."

Yesterday an inquest was held at the Red Lion Inn, in this town, by T.Wakely, Esq., M.P., on the body of the infant son of C.Patten, Esq., surgeon. The nurse, a young woman of about 18 years of age, stated that she went to bed with the infant at 11 o'clock the previous night, and that it was in good health at that time, but when she awoke in the morning about half past six, she found the child dead. She took it to her mistress, and it was out in a hot bath, but of no avail. After an explanation of the case by the coroner, the jury returned a verdict of "Natural Death."

Marlow, Saturday, May 28.

The following is the answer of Mr.Duncombe, M.P., in reply to the address presented to him from a number of the inhabitants of this town, thanking him for his exertions in the House of Commons in procuring the release of Mr.Gibbons, who had been committed for giving improper evidence before the Marlow Election Committee:-

To Sir William Robert Clayton, Bart. My Dear Sir William, - I beg to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of yesterday's date, accompanied by an address signed by more than two hundred gentlemen, neighbours, and fellow-townsmen of Mr.Gibbons, of Great Marlow, upon whose recent treatment in the House of Commons, I felt it my duty to make some remarks in my place in Parliament, and which remarks I am pleased to find met the approbation of those , who , from long experience of Mr.Gibbon's honourable conduct, as a benevolent, conscientious, and humane man, entitle the opinion to considerable weight. Pray do me the favour to convey to those gentlemen who have signed the memorial, my deep sense of honour they have conferred upon me, and also to assure them, that as a perfect stranger to Mr.Gibbons, I should not in the first place have felt myself justified in making the observations referred to in their memorial , had I not felt confident that yourself and those other magistrates, whose petition I had previously presented, spoke the conviction of honourable men, that Mr.Gibbons was incapable of committing the offence for which, for which without being heard either in explanation or extenuation, he was so prematurely hurried from the bar of the House of Commons to a cell in Newgate, nor in the second place, unless the opinion expressed in that petition had been fully confirmed by a perusal at the time of Mr.Gibbon's evidence. I therefore fully concur with the memorialists, that the contradictions into which he was incautiously betrayed were not only immaterial to the question, but as no motive of a snare craftily laid for the ruin of his character and the damage of the cause he had espoused.

Indeed the House of Commons seems subsequently to have taken a similar view of the affair, for immediately after the evidence was published to the world, a motion was made and unanimously agreed to, "that Mr.Gibbons be discharged and reprimanded (as is usual) by Mr.Speaker," It was my painful duty to hear that reprimand, but it appearing to be one of a severity, as unusual as it was unmerited, I should have been ashamed of myself, after the part I had previously taken, and entertaining the opinions that I did, had I remained silent upon the occasion; and although my comments brought down some displeasure at the time, yet I find ample consolation when I reflect that my conduct has met with not only the thanks of Mr.Gibbons's immediate friends, but I have reason to believe with the approval of a dispassionate public. Under the circumstances, with the Marlow address before me, I shall never regret the course that I pursued, but I shall feel happy, however feebly I may have done it, that I decided the character of an absent and I conscientiously believe, a much injured individual - Believe me, my dear Sir William, very sincerely yours,

The Albany, May 18th, 1842.
Since the commencement of the New Poor Law system the poor-rates of Great Marlow parish have increased at an alarming degree. The inhabitants have often complained that the Union is too large, very badly managed, and that a new and very expensive Workhouse, being erected in a most inconvenient situation is totally unnecessary; added to this the Board of Guardians are weekly demanding very heavy sums of their overseers, and although they sent in a nomination list for guardians on the 10th of March last, none have been chosen nor even the voting papers issued. Under these circumstances a petition to the House of Commons complaining of their grievances was on Thursday proposed in the vestry, but as the proposer did not appear to receive much attention, especially as the chance of redress from the legislature is not at all to be relied on by them, it was therefore not carried.

An assault case, Clack against House, was entered into before the Marlow bench of magistrates on Saturday last. House was one of Sir.W.R.Clayton's keepers, who seeing Clack beating a hedge as it were for game, took the liberty of searching him, which was the assault complained of; the magistrates dismissed the case. Three other poachers were apprehended by the constable Stallwood, and all convicted.

Although the tithe commissioners have passed the plan of the parish of Burnham made by a surveyor recommended from their office and he has been paid for his labour, it now appears so incomplete, wood furze and property appertaining to different proprietors being so jumbled together, that the gentleman appointed to apportion the tithes cannot proceed with his labours without considerable improvement and additions to the plan. A proof of the necessity there is for landowners to look to their own interests.

Faringdon, Saturday, May 28.

On Tuesday last, William Cripps, of the parish of Buckland, was brought before the Justices of this division, charged with having broken open a parcel which he was employed to take to Mr.Hyde, a draper, at Abingdon, and stolen the sum of ten shillings belonging to his master, Mr.James Robins, a respectable tailor residing at Buckland. It appeared from the evidence adduced, that on the 11th inst., Mr.Robins sent the prisoner with a small parcel containing some patterns and ten shillings to the house of Mr.Hyde, at Abingdon, to purchase some goods of that value, and that Cripps instead of obeying his masters directions, opened the parcel and took out the money, and that on reaching Abingdon he got into company with some men with whom he went to two public houses and spent the money. He was committed for trial at the next sessions for this county.

Singing for the Million

We understand that arrangements are likely to be made shortly for the purpose of establishing a class in this town on the Mainzerian system, and that it will be in connection with the one about to be established at Oxford; we sincerely hope our expectations may be realised, and that the attempt may meet with the success it deserves. There is no room in the town so well adapted for the purpose as the New Assembly Room at the Crown Hotel.

Odd Fellows Society

It is also in contemplation to establish a lodge of this institution here. We hear with much satisfaction that a day has been fixed for the attendance of a deputation from the Oxford Lodge to make the required arrangements preparatory to its being officially announced. We doubt not that a vast number of very "odd fellows" will be found in this town.


This healthful game is carried on with much greater spirit this year than the last. The members have increased in number, and if we may judge from the talent already displayed at their meetings, we should say that this club will soon be able to compete with any in the neighbourhood.