Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

27th October 1827

Windsor And Eton

His Majesty has, in return for the present of the Camelopard, from the Pasha of Egypt , sent over a buck and doe of the red, and a buck and doe of the fallow deer species, all fine examples of the breed.

There is now to be seen growing in the gardens at Cooper's-hill, Englefield-green, the seat of the late Lord Langford, a plant of the Great American Gourd, having produced three fruits of enormous weight of two hundred and fifty four pounds.

On Tuesday night an entertainment of a vocal and dramatic nature, was given by Miss Courtenay, of the English Opera House. The weather being very unfavourable, the house was but ill attended. The lady possesses considerable talent; and as her bill of fare for Monday night contains much variety, and having received some valuable assistance, we trust she will meet with more encouragement.

Our October fair created considerable bustle on Wednesday and two following days. The noisy part consisted of a mock menagerie , and two 'companies,' who displayed the lowest kind of buffoonery. There were numerous booths of fancy goods and gingerbread, which proved very attractive to the holiday folks. A few of the light fingered gentry succeeded in their traffic, but they were well checked by out local police. The principal commodity of the fair, onions, fetched from 4s to 6s the bushel. There was a wretched show of cattle.

On Thursday evening, as Mr.Dash's ostler was returning in a gig from London, at Frogmore he passed the Windsor coach (having kept behind it for some time), and not observing some barge horses in advance, the shafts of gig penetrated the chest of one of them, which caused its instant death.

On Wednesday last, as John Ankin was returning from Drayton to Ditton Park, in a waggon, on going through Drayton Mill river, he got upon the shafts, and it is supposed from giddiness fell into the water. The wheel partly went over him, and he was killed upon the spot. An inquest was held upon the body yesterday, at Drayton, and a verdict of Accidental Death returned. The deceased had been a carter in the employ of Lord Montague for many years, and has left a wife and seven children to deplore his loss.

A daring burglary was committed on Monday evening, between the hours of six and ten, in the house of Mr.Washburton, of Great Marlow, and property to a considerable amount carried off. A handsome reward has been offered for the apprehension of the offenders.

The gardener of Lady Stapleton, at Grey's Court, Oxon., lately cut a pumpkin, in her ladyship's garden, of the following dimensions :- Girth, five feet five inches; length from eye to strig [?], two feet seven inches and a half; weight 95lbs.


The Most Noble the Marquis of Chandos, Sir Thos.F.Fremantle, Bart., and Wm.Pigott, Esq., have been pleased to appoint Richard Beasant, Gent., to be Cornet in the Second Regiment of Bucks Yeomanry Cavalry, by commission bearing date the 5th of September , 1827.

Mr.Rickford, one of the Members for the borough of Aylesbury, has invited his constituents to dine with him next Tuesday.

On Monday night a sheep, the property of Mr.Geo.Thorpe, of Hemel Hempsted, was killed in a field at Haydon Hill, near Aylesbury. The carcass was taken away, and the skin, head, and entrails, left on the field. Footsteps were traced from the field to the entrance of this town.

Mr.James Bunting, of Quainton, has in his possession and apple gathered from his own orchard, which measures 14 1/2 inches in circumference, and weighs 19 1/2 ounces. When first pulled, about three weeks ago, it weighed 20 ounces.

The fine old mansion at Weston Underwood, near Olney, for many years the property and residence of the Throckmorton family, has been parcelled into lots. In pulling it down, the workmen found by the side of a stack of chimnies a secret room, accessible only by a trap-door and a ladder; its dimensions were small, but as much attention had been paid to the comfort of the occupiers (if ever there were any) as possible. A box sufficiently long for any person to lay at ease was placed in it, in which were two mattresses. The people living near the spot, have an idea that it was designed as a hiding place for the persons of the Roman Catholic persuasion, who in years gone by had offended or come under suspicion of the Government; the steady adherence of the Throckmorton family to that religion somewhat strengthens the supposition. J.C.Throckmorton, Esq., the last occupier of the mansion, died in that faith a few months since, having made proselytes of nearly all the inhabitants of the village; this he did, however, rather by the moral force of the example which a life spent in acts of charity and good-will to men and devotion and humility to his Maker afforded, than by any other means. An inhabitant of Olney purchased at the sale of the materials of the mansion, a portion of the walls for eleven shillings, in which workmen whom he employed to take it down found a leather purse, containing 28 guineas, and four half guineas, of the reigns of Charles II and James II; they were as bright and in as good preservation as if they had just come from the mint; the purchaser of the lot and his workmen divided the treasure between them.

On Sunday last, a sermon was preached in the parish church of Buckingham, in aid of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, by the Rev.W.Risley, M.A., Fellow of New College, Oxford, who took for his text "Let us, therefore, follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another," Rom xiv., 19, which he beautifully illustrated in describing the constitution of the Society for which he was that day an humble advocate; and concluded a discourse which breathed throughout the greatest zeal for the established church, but at the same time a truly christian charity and forbearance towards all who from conscientious motives differed from it, by earnestly recommending the formation of a District Society for the neighbourhood of Buckingham; and which he hoped would not be considered as in the least interfering with the Bible Society, (already existing there) and on which society he passed a very high epcomium; but recommended it as being more particularly connected with the establishment, and embracing many objects not within the views of the latter institution. The collection amounted to upwards of 18.

On Sunday morning, some person or persons entered the house of Mr.John Butcher, at Maid's Moreton, near Buckingham, and stole a flitch of bacon. To effect the robbery the thieves took advantage of the door being left unlocked by some of the family, who, according to their usual custom, (which was, no doubt, well known to the robbers) rose a little before five o'clock and went out to milk the cows. The prints of men's feet were distinctly traced in the rick-yard and for some distance, at the back of the village; these prints were of feet without shoes near the house, but afterwards with shoes. Mr.Butcher being awake in the morning, thought he heard a noise, but it was not sufficient to induce him to get up. Such is the inattention to security, in that neighbourhood that scarcely a dairyman thinks of fastening his outer door when he goes out in the morning to milk, notwithstanding it often happens that his cows are at some distance from his house; perhaps this may serve as a caution, and induce them in future to be careful and "save their bacon."

A poor old woman was nearly suffocated at Buckingham last Saturday night, in consequence of having incautiously snuffed the candle with her fingers, and thrown the snuff on the floor. It fell on her pockets, which were woollen, and smouldered for several hours. When her husband fortunately awoke, the room was so full of smoke as to render it difficult to breathe.

Bucks Michaelmas Sessions, Continued.

Thomas Barnet, James Church, and Joseph Lancaster. (young fellows of the age of 20) were indicted for having feloniously stolen at Iver, on the 29th of September, two chickens, the property of William Ashlee. - Mr.Wallinger stated the case for the prosecution.

Mr.Ashlee deposed that in September last he had six fowls. He saw them on the morning of the 29th of September; one of them was a bronze fowl, three were white, and two speckled. In the evening the two speckled ones were missing. Before missing them he went to the prisoner Barnet's house, where he saw him and the two other prisoners. Church had a fork in his hand, and was frying fowls; all the joints of the fowls were in the pan except a breast and a leg, the bones of which laid on the table. Witness said to them, "you have got my fowls ?" The prisoners replied, they had not; they were partridges. His fowls were half grown.

John Marks, being sworn, stated that he lives at Iver, and on the 29th of September he saw the three prisoners in a meadow belonging to Lord Gambler, opposite Mr.Ashlee's premises. They were pursuing two speckled fowls about half grown, which they drove into the hedge and caught - Lancaster caught one, and Barnet the other, and each put the fowl he caught into his pocket. The same evening witness went to Uxbridge, and met the prisoners there. Barnet and Church accosted him and accused him of having told Mr.Ashlee that they had stolen his fowls, for which they threatened to knock his head off. The witness's companions, however, interfered, and prevented the prisoners from ill-using him, on which they said that if they could not do it then they would at another time.- Guilty. Three months hard labour.

George Cross was indicted for an assault on the Rev.John Robert Pigott, at Steeple Claydon. It appeared that on Sunday, the 15th of July, Mr.Pigott, who is minister of Steeple Claydon, being in his own house, heard someone in the street using the most dreadful imprecations. He went out to the street, where he saw the prisoner, whom he advised to go home. The prisoner, however, who was drunk, continued to use the same vile language. Mr.Pigott then sent William Sewell, a constable, after him, with directions if he found him swearing, to put him in the stocks. The constable took him at a public house, and as he was bringing him past Mr.Pigott's house, Mr.Pigott came out to direct him what to do. The prisoner, on seeing Mr.Pigott, used the violent language, and threatened to take his life; and struggling to get loose from the constable, endeavoured both to kick and strike him, and once got near enough to aim at him a violent blow, which Mr.Pigott warded off with his arm. He was at length placed in the stocks, which Mr.Pigott passed about half an hour afterwards to do his duty at the church, and the prisoner, as he went by took up the largest stone within his reach, and threw it at him. In his defence, the prisoner said he was intoxicated, and did not know what he did - he had no animosity against Mr.Pigott, for he had never seen him before. - Sewell, the constable, said he had known the prisoner 12 or 14 years, and gave him a good character. - Guilty. - The prosecutor requested that his sentence might be lenient, as he had expressed contrition. - One month's imprisonment and to be bound to his own recognizances to keep the peace for two years.

Thomas Taylor was indicted for assault on James Wilson, at Chearsley, on the 5th of September. It appeared that a dispute having arisen between the prisoner and Wilson, who are both labourers, respecting a shilling which Wilson alleged the prisoner owed him, the latter gave a loose to his passion, and inflicted a most unmerciful beating upon him. - Guilty. - Two calendar months imprisonment.

William Perkins and James Hall were tried for stealing a quantity of lead, affixed to an apple chamber, belonging to Robert Throckmorton, Esq., at Weston Underwood. - The two prisoners sold the lead at the shop of Mr.Cross, at Olney, where it was discovered. Perkins had sold some lead at the same place the day before. - Perkins said he had found the first mentioned lead, and asked Hall to help him carry it to be sold, and that he met a man the day before who asked him to sell the other for him. - Perkins was found Guilty, and sentenced to twelve calendar months imprisonment to hard labour; Hall was acquitted.

John Boswell was tried for a similar offence, committed at the same place, but was found Not Guilty. His wife sold the lead at the same shop. - There was a second indictment against the prisoner for stealing some other lead, from the same place, but the evidence being the same as on the first indictment it was withdrawn.

Richard Goodchild alias Thomas Johnson, was indicted for obtaining a coat and waistcoat under false pretences. - The prisoner went to Mr.Foster's at Colnbrook, on the 15th of September, and tried on a coat and waistcoat. He then went away, and said he would go to his master, Mr.Hickman, whom the prosecutor knew, and get the money for them. He returned in ten minutes with a note, on which the prosecutor let him have the goods. The prosecutor had lost the note, and did not read it at the time, but would not have permitted the prisoner to have the goods without it. He read it afterwards; it was directed to Mr.Hickman, and said, "Let the bearer, Thomas Johnson, have a coat and waistcoat." Mr.Hickman knew nothing of the prisoner. - The prisoner, in his defence, said he was drunk at the time, and knew nothing about the matter, nor who gave him the note. - He was found Guilty, and sentenced to Seven years transportation.

Henry Wise, a bargeman, indicted for feloniously stealing a basket and a drag net, value 6 [?], the property of Richard Lovegrove, was found Not Guilty.

Wise was then tried on a charge of violently assaulting Thomas Brown, a constable of Taplow, in the execution of his duty - The prosecutor, it appeared, had a warrant against the prisoner on a charge of stealing a net, and went to apprehend him. He saw him go on board a barge which he was navigating on the Thames, and went after him in a punt. He told him he had a warrant against him, and shewed his staff; but as soon as he got upon the barge, the prisoner knocked him back again with a heavy piece of wood, which cut his head and rendered him unable to do any thing for a week afterwards. The prisoner did nor deny the blow, but said that the prosecutor did not shew him his warrant till afterwards. - Guilty. - He was sentenced to Twelve Months imprisonment to hard labour, and at the end of that time to enter into recognizances to keep the peace for twelve months in the sum of 50.

Stephen Ives and Joshua Ives were tried for an assault on Daniel Powell, gamekeeper to Sir Wm.Clayton, at Wycombe, on the 13th of February last.

Daniel Powell said he and another person named East, were out on the morning of the 13th of February, in Moor Wood, when they heard some guns fired. They found nobody there; but they afterwards saw, by the flash of another gun, three men in Slookey. They followed, and the three men turned round several times and presented their guns at them, threatening to blow a hole in them if they did not keep off. One of them loaded his gun during the chase, and they threw away a number of pheasants as they went along. At Booker Bottom he came up with them, when Stephen Ives laid hold of him and threw him down , striking him twice with his fist. They then took his gun away from him, fired it off, and carried it away with them; but he and East still pursued them, and he called out to them to restore his gun. On this Stephen Ives broke the gun to pieces against a tree. It was a moonlight morning, and he was sure the men at the bar were two of the three. They were not taken till the middle of August. - On being cross examined, he admitted that he called to East, as he ran, to take out his pistols; but he knew that East had no pistols although the other men did not know it.

William East confirmed the account. He said that he called out, when they first started, that he would "level" at them; but he had neither gun nor pistol. They answered with a huzza. It was after the men levelled their guns at him and Powell that the latter called out for him to take out his pistols. The prisoners acknowledged when they were taken up that they were in the party. - On his cross examination he said, that the prisoners said at Wycombe, "we own we are the men," in those very words; but he could not recollect what they said passed between them. He knew them three or four years before, but did not tell Powell on the night when the affair happened that the Ives were two of the men, nor call them by their names when he saw them , because he was not sure of them then. He told Powell he suspected they were the men.

Richard Halley, constable at Wycombe, said he had the warrant against the prisoners three months before he could find them. One of them asked Powell, at the Three Tuns, if he meant to swear that they were the men, and said he hoped he would be lenient as he could with them. As they were going to gaol one of them asked if he did not think they were fools for admitting the charge. They were both together, and he thought it was Stephens who said this. He had, at this time, another warrant to search his father's house for stolen property, but these men had not been charged with the robbery.

Mr.Bligh, as counsel for the defendants, contended that the keepers had committed the first assault by threatening to level at these men, and trying to stop them in the open paths through the woods, and that under the circumstances they were justified in taking the gun away to prevent mischief being done with it.

Sir Edmund Carrington summed up the evidence. He said that the men at the bar committed the first assault, if the evidence was to be believed. The keepers were lawfully engaged, but the other party was out on an illegal pursuit. He could hardly believe all that East said about the confession, and it was odd that he did not mention the names at the time. The constable could not tell which of the accused spoke about the confession, and what one of them said could not be taken against the other.

The Jury found them Not Guilty.

Wm.Castlediu [?], of Newport Pagnel, pleaded Guilty to an indictment for an assault on Benjamin Taylor, but having satisfied the prosecutor, was fined 1s and discharged.