Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

27th August 1842

Celebration of His Royal Highness Prince Albert's Birthday

At an early hour yesterday morning the merry ringing of the Windsor Castle and Church bells announced the arrival of the birthday of his Royal Highness Prince Albert, who on that day completed his 23rd year. The bells continued ringing at intervals during the day.
At 7 o'clock her Majesty's private band and the band of the 2nd regiment of Life Guards proceeded to the precincts of the Castle, and stationing themselves under the windows of his royal highness on the New Terrace, serenaded him on the auspicious day.
In the forenoon the 15th regiment of Foot and a portion of the 2nd regiment of Life Guards on foot, accompanied by their respective bands, and commanded by Lord Charles Wellesley, marched into the Home Park, where they went through a variety of evolutions and fired a royal salute. Her Majesty and some of the ladies of the royal suite who were at the windows of the Castle, witnessed the movements of the troops. Prince Albert, the Duke of Saxe Coburg, and several of their suite, walked from the Castle to the east angle of the wall of the New Terrace and there took up their positions, receiving the salutes of the troops as they marched past. The troops returned to their barracks shortly after 12 o'clock. The portion of the 2nd Life Guards which had remained at their barracks, fired a royal salute in the barrack square. Royal salutes were also fired from Fort Belvidere, Virginia Water, from the Maestricht Gardens in the Home Park, and in other parts of the town and neighbourhood.
Her Majesty, the Queen Dowager, the Duchess of Gloucester, and the Duchess of Kent, as stated in our court news, paid congratulatory visits on Prince Albert at the Castle. The two former after partaking of luncheon at the Castle, left for their respective residences, the Duchess of Kent remaining to partake of the festivities of the day with her Majesty and the Prince, and joined, the select dinner party at the Castle in the evening. The dinner took place in the gothic dining-room, and included her royal highness the Duchess of Kent, his royal highness, the Reigning Duke of Saxe Coburg Gotha, the Duchess of Norfolk (lady in waiting), Lady Charlotte Dundas (in waiting upon her royal highness the Duchess of Kent), the Hon.Misses Paget and Murray (maid of honour in waiting), the Baroness Lehzen, the Duke of Norfolk and Lady Mary Howard, Viscount and Viscountess Canning, the Earl of Liverpool (lord steward), the Earl of Jersey (master of the horse), the right hon. Sir James Graham, the Rev. Lord.W.Russell, Major-General and Lady Isabella Wemyas, Sir W.Freemantle, Baron Stockmar, Lord C.Wellesley, M.P., the Marquis of Ormonde (lord in waiting), Captain Henry Meynell, R.N., (groom in waiting), Colonel Buckley (equerry in waiting), Baron Gruben, Capt.Seymour (Scots fusilier guards), Mr.G.E and the Hon. Mrs Anson, Count Razumousky, Monsieur Schiegnitz, Colonel Wyld (equerry in waiting upon Prince Albert), Col.Sir.G.Couper, Bart., the Dowager Lady Lytteton and Dr.Pretorius; in the whole there were 35 in the party.
For a day or two before it was known that her Majesty had this year determined to honour the birthday of her illustrious consort in a more marked and novel manner than a royal birthday has been usually done, by having a costly and brilliant display of fireworks let off from the top of the Round Tower. The circumstances excited much interest in the town, and neighbourhood, and drew together in the evening an unusually large number of persons to Windsor, and as from the position of the pieces to be let off, a good view of them could only be obtained from the Castle and the Quadrangle, her Majesty graciously allowed a limited number to be there by tickets, and 600 persons were thus admitted. As soon as the day closed, the top of the Round Tower was illuminated with lamps round each port-hole, and between the port-holes brilliant stars. In the centre of the Tower, facing the Quadrangle , was a very appropriate and splendid device in various coloured lamps, consisting of a brilliant elongated star with the word "Albert" in pearl lamps in the centre, and encircled in a wreath of green and red lamps (to represent laurel and roses), and the whole surmounted by a large and beautiful crown. This device had a most pleasing effect. On the archway leading to George the Fourth's gateway were the letters "P." "A.", with a star in the centre , very neatly illuminated with pearl lamps. About half-past nine o'clock her Majesty left the dining-room, and proceeded along the corridor, accompanied by Prince Albert, and her distinguished visitors, and the court, and proceeded to the oak room, which commanded an excellent view of the fireworks; as soon as her Majesty and the Prince were observed at one of the corridor windows, on their way to the oak room, a rocket was let off from the Round Tower announcing the commencement of the exhibition of the fireworks from the lofty edifice. The numerous attendants on her Majesty remained in the corridor during the exhibition, which place, unlike the room in which her Majesty, the Prince, and visitors remained, was lighted up, and had a most brilliant appearance. The band of the 15th Foot was stationed at the centre of the Quadrangle, and continued playing until the termination of the display. The fireworks, which were under the direction of that able pyrotechnist , Mr.R.Fenwick, were of a very brilliant description, although the pieces from the great height at which they were fired appeared to be considerably smaller than they in reality were. The immense number of rockets and the other aerial pieces were magnificent, and the grand finale , which was a combination of upwards of one hundred rockets and coloured fires, had a most imposing and splendid effect. At the conclusion (about 11 o'clock) her Majesty, the Prince, and their illustrious visitors re-entered the corridor from the oak room, and in their passage from thence to the private apartments were loudly cheered by those who had been admitted to the Quadrangle, the band during that time playing the national anthem. The vast assemblage of persons in the interior and outside of the Quadrangle then quietly dispersed to witness the illuminations of several of the tradesmen of the town. The aerial pieces at the Round Tower were seen to advantage from most parts of the town and neighbourhood, and must have had a most striking effect for many miles round.

In the course of the afternoon there were rowing and punting matches on the Thames with different waterman, for purses subscribed for by the inhabitants of the two towns of Windsor and Eton.

In the metropolis an illumination took place in honour of the day. Some of the theatres, club-houses, and the residences of his Royal Highness's tradesmen, &c., presented a most magnificent appearance. In various other parts of the country the day was appropriately celebrated.

At Richmond the day was commemorated by a regatta on the river, the contest being for a purse of sovereigns, given by the ladies and gentlemen of that town, and arranged in four heats, so as to afford the greatest degree of sport, and ascertain the merits of the competitors. It was a sculler's wager, with nine waterman, the distance being to start from Richmond-bridge, row down the river, round a boat facing the Marquis of Ailea's , up to a boat off the Duke of Buccleuch's, pass round, and finish at the bridge.

The keel of the Royal Albert, 120 gun ship, was laid on his Royal Highness's birthday at Woolwich Dockyard, in honour of the event. The ceremony was performed in the presence of numerous spectators by Miss Collier, daughter of Captain Sir Francis.A.Collier, Knt, C.B., and K.H., Superintendent of the Dockyard. The Royal Marine Band played the National Anthem, and the performance of the ceremony was loudly cheered by the persons assembled. Among those present were Rear Admiral Sir James Alexander Gordon, K.C.B., Lieut-Governor of Greenwich Hospital; Col.T.A. Packe, C.B., commandant of the royal marines; Colonel Turner, C.B., and Major Anderson, of the royal artillery; Lieut-Colonel Macdonald, barrack master to the royal artillery, and a considerable number of naval and marine officers. This fine ship is to be of the burden of 3,394 tons, being 673 tons larger than the Trafalgar, which was built on the same place.

The Castle Buck and The Corporation

The rapid and anxious movements of the mayor and one or two members of the corporate body yesterday morning in the streets of Windsor, clearly indicated to those who observed them, that there was "something in the wind," and, upon inquiry, we soon learnt that, to no small astonishment of his worship, a fine fat buck had, by command of her Majesty, been sent to him for THE public dinner in honour of the day, her Majesty thus clearly and naturally presuming that the birthday of his Royal Highness would so be honoured in Windsor. However, no such dinner had been talked of, if even thought of !, neither was it in contemplation for the corporate body to dine together. Therefore the arrival at the Mayor's of this royal buck was rather an awkward circumstance, and how to dispose of it was a matter for grave deliberation. Hence arose the peculiar indicative movements in the morning, which were followed by a meeting of the council at "Banister's corner," and it was agreed after much discussion , that as there was no public dinner, the public were not entitled to a taste of the venison, and is was resolved that the very best way of disposing of it was for the corporation to eat it; Mr.Chater, of the Castle Inn, was therefore forthwith ordered to cook it that evening. We have been told of a very amusing circumstance that occurred in consequence of this unexpected present. It appears that two or three of the townspeople, not in the corporation, were in the morning invited to the repast, and after calculating for some time upon the embryo feast, had a hint given them that they had been invited by mistake, for that there was no more venison than they could eat themselves! The present of the buck has caused much diversity of opinion as to whether it was intended as a compliment to the town, or a broad hint to the council. If the latter, we hope the corporation will take it as such, and that it will have the desired effect in future.

With a view of preventing as far as possible the intrusion of improper persons into the Castle in future, some additional and more stringent regulations have been made at the tradesmen's entrance, which, it is expected, will be effectual in their operation, although in such extensive establishments there must necessarily be considerable difficulty in distinguishing in every case those who have and have not business there.

On Tuesday last the workpeople, male and female, in the Lord Chamberlain's department at Windsor Castle had their annual holiday. The place selected for their enjoyment this year was in the meadows at Shaw Farm, Frogmore, where tents were erected, and the spacious one for dining under was in the evening converted into a "ball-room." The number, with friends, invited, amounted to about 150, and the male portion during the day enjoyed the sports of cricket, trap, and football, quoits, &c. The dinner comprised a profusion of the good things of this world, and the dance in the evening was a delightful finish to the day's amusement. The present Lord Chamberlain handsomely followed the example of his predecessors in office, and contributed 5 towards the funds, which are raised by a small subscription from each of the individuals - About a fortnight since, some of the servants at the Castle, in the Lord Steward's department, also had their annual water excursion, and went in two long boats to Cliefden, thus enjoying a delightful holiday.

Windsor and Eton Royal Horticultural Society

The annual exhibition of this society will take place on Saturday next, in the ground of her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent, at Frogmore, when should the weather be fine, as we hope it will, there is no doubt the attendance will be both fashionable and numerous. The exhibition will, we have reason to believe, be worthy of such patronage.

High Price of Bread

A "Constant Reader" asks why bread should only fall one halfpenny per loaf when wheat has fallen from 3 to 4 per load, and in some cases more than that. Perhaps some baker will answer the question.

Theatre Royal

The theatre this week has been tolerably well attended. The pieces have been exceedingly well selected, and there has been abundance of amusement. On Monday evening, Mr.Mulford, the stage manager, took his benefit. He is an excellent and deserving actor, and has obtained a very well merited popularity in Windsor. On Tuesday, the Mayor and Town Council patronised the performances, which consisted of "The Honeymoon," and "The Ladies Club"; in the latter clever piece, Mr.Baker enacted his original character, and Miss Mitchell admirably supported the dignity and station of "Chairwoman." On Thursday, Mr.Birch took his benefit, when he performed Richard the Third. On Monday next, Mr.Clinton will take his benefit, and we trust it will be a successful one. He is a very talented performer. On Tuesday, the performances will be under the patronage of Colonel Reid and the Officers of the 2nd Life Guards. On Wednesday, Mr.C.Baker, a most sterling performer, of considerable reputation in the metropolis, will have his benefit, and on Thursday Mr. and Mrs. Warren will also take their benefit.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), John Banister, Esq., R.Blunt, Esq., Sir John Chapman, and W.Legh, Esq.]

John Brice was charged with being drunk and disorderly late on Thursday night at the top of Peascod-street. The prisoner is a most incorrigible drunkard, and has been in custody a great number of times. He has been fined several times, and on the last occasion he was allowed time to pay the fine, but he was a "defaulter." The magistrates said they scarcely knew what to do with such a character, for it was hopeless to attempt the task of reclaiming him.
The prisoner, as on all former occasions, begged to be let off "this time," and he would keep sober in future. He said it was a very little liquor that took an effect upon him.
Sir John Chapman (to Mr.Gillman) - Have you any stocks ready in the borough ?
Mr.Gillman - No sir; I wish we had.
Sir John Chapman - Then I desire they may be got ready. You will apply to the Churchwardens, and request that they will repair the stocks. Here is a man who has been upwards of twenty times before us, and the next time he is brought up again he shall have six hours in the stocks.
The prisoner was then fined 5s, and besides was ordered to find bail himself in 10, and two sureties in 5 each, to keep the peace until the next quarter sessions. No being provided with money or bail, he was taken to prison.

Mr.Voules (accompanied by Mr.George Chapman, surgeon) attended before the bench on behalf of Gray, the man who was so much ill-treated by Brown and Horton (the policemen) in the early part of this month. Mr.Voules said he was glad to see on this occasion so large an attendance of magistrates. The poor man, Gray, had applied to the magistrates on the subject of his ill treatment, naturally thinking they would adjudicate on the matter, but they chose to refer it to the watch committee. The question in the case was whether the magistrates, who were so zealous in supporting the police when they acted rightly, would not be equally so in keeping the police within the bounds of order. The watch committee, he understood, when the case was referred to them, took no examination of witnesses, no one was questioned to prove the assault, the police who were accused made their own statement, and then the answer of the committee was that the man Gray had behaved in an imprudent manner to the police.
An application was afterwards made to the magistrates, who said Gray might indict the police at the next session if he chose. Now this was a hard case for the poor man, to put him to the expense of an indictment at the sessions, for that expense would fall on him, and not on the borough; it was really hard that he should be driven to the necessity of either abandoning all attempts at redress, or that he should spend 8 or 10 in prosecuting at the sessions. He (Mr.V.) was certain the magistrates wished to have proper and peaceable men in the police force; but as to one of the accused police (Brown) he had before been proved to have greatly exceeded his duty, and had been reprimanded and suspended for it, but that appeared to have no effect upon him. The magistrates should therefore have the present case again before them, and adjudicate upon it. If two persons in the street quarrelled, and one struck the other, the magistrates would hear the case, and decide upon it, and he hoped that it would not be said that when the offending party was the police, they would not entertain the case.
Mr.Long, the magistrates clerk, said when Mr.George Chapman applied to the bench on the subject last week, he was told that Gray might come up again and have this case gone into, or he might indict the policemen at the sessions, which ever he pleased.
The Mayor - He was told so when he was first here.
Mr.Voules - Then if the parties were all brought here to-day will you go into the case ?
It was stated by Mr.Gillman that Brown and Horton were not present, being both taking their rest, having had a night duty.
It was eventually resolved by the magistrates to hear the case on Monday next, at that all the parties and witnesses should attend on that day, when the whole case would be gone into.

William Hawtrey was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Clewer-lane at one o'clock on Sunday morning. He was reprimanded and discharged.


Emma Bennett, a girl of the town, was charged with vagrancy in becoming chargeable to the Windsor Union the second time, after being formally removed to the parish of Langley Marish. Some time ago the prisoner was taken into custody with some other girls, when she was ordered to be taken to the Windsor Union Workhouse, whence she was removed by an order to Langley, which is her parish. Her sister consented to receive her, and having got her a comfortable situation, clothed her decently, thinking that she would then abandon the course of life that she had unfortunately practised. The sister was however deceived, for the prisoner after being only three days in her situation left it, came to Windsor, and returned to her abandoned pursuits. She was shortly afterwards taken into custody with some of her companions for being disorderly, and on that occasion her sister attended before the magistrates, and expressed her willingness to take her home. The prisoner made a very reluctant promise that she would go with her sister, and the magistrates consented to try her once more, and discharged her. She however soon returned from the kind protection thus afforded her, and pursued her old and wretched habits. On the 11th instant, being entirely destitute, she in her distress applied to Mr.Bailey, the relieving officer, to be admitted into the Windsor Union-house, when she was told to return to Langley, whither she had been removed in November last, but she refused to go there, and Mr.Bailey gave her an order to be admitted. She then laboured under a disorder, and now being cured she was brought up and charged with the offence of vagrancy. The magistrates committed her to the House of Correction for 14 days.

Abraham Greenaway was charged with having deserted his family at Bracknell. It appeared that intelligence of the prisoner's offence, and a description of his person had been sent to the Windsor police, who apprehended him in this town. He was remanded until the parish authorities at Bracknell should send a constable to take him there.

Eton Police - Monday
[Before G.J.Penn, Esq.]

Edward Clark and Henry Green (the latter a boy) were charged by William Norwood, of Eton, with vagrancy, in being found sleeping in a coach in his yard, and having no visible means of subsistence. Clark was committed to the House of Correction for one month, and the boy Green was ordered to be delivered up to his parents.


Lord Melbourne, on his return through this town on Thursday, from visiting her Majesty at Windsor Castle, changed horses at the White Horse Inn, during which time the inhabitants, to the number of about 100, had congregated there, and one gentleman proposed aloud three cheers for Lord Melbourne, the friend of the people, which was heartily and vociferously responded to. His Lordship acknowledged the compliment in his usual polite manner.

Tee-Total Meeting

On Monday last a meeting of the West Drayton Rechabite Society was held in a field belonging to Mr.Bagley, at Philpotts Bridge, who kindly lent them the use of it for the occasion; the members assembled in a spacious tent in the field about 11 o'clock, shortly after the whole formed a procession and headed by a very efficient band, marched to West Drayton Green, where they were addressed by a gentleman of the name of Balfour; this over they again formed and marched back in the same order to the field at Philpott's Bridge; the members were distinguished by a neat badge of white ribbon, banners were carried by several of the men and children, on which, amongst others, we observed the following mottoes or inscriptions:- "West Drayton Tee-total Society, peace on earth and good will towards men," "Unite to assist, God is our hope," "Domestic Comfort," "Unite we Conquer," "Sobriety," &c. On the return of the procession to the field, dinner was in readiness for all those who chose to partake of the good cheer provided for them. Dinner being over the chair was taken by a Mr.Smith, from Stratford, in Essex, who explained the object of the meeting; he was succeeded by several other speakers, among them a man named Thomas Davis, a brickmaker, who detailed to the audience in plain, homely, yet forcible language, the advantages to total abstinence, &c. Shortly after the meeting was adjourned until six o'clock, in the interim tea was provided, of which the greater part of the members partook. At six o'clock business was again commenced, a gentleman whose name we could not learn, spoke in a most feeling and true manner of the evils of intemperance. The next and by far the most interesting and elegant speaker, was a Mrs.Balfour, a lady possessed of a very superior talents and address. She spoke for nearly an hour, and painted in elegant and forcible language the benefits of abstaining from intoxicating beverages of any kind whatsoever; she was loudly applauded several times during the course of her speech; it is impossible for us to do justice to this lady's merits and indefatigable zeal in the cause of which she is so worthy an advocate; her husband Mr.J.Balfour, and herself, are what are termed Rechabite Missionaries, Mr.Balfour also spoke at the meeting. About 8 o'clock the meeting was broken up, the members forming in ranks proceeded headed by the band, to the Great Western Railway office, where, those from London parted with their Drayton friends, and proceeded by train to the metropolis. During the day games of cricket, trap ball, foot racing, and other amusements were played by members of the society and their friends. All passed off in a quiet and friendly manner. We were informed that several persons joined the society as members.

John Bradshaw Streets, labourer of Acton, was brought before Sir W.Wiseman, bart., on the 13th inst., charged with being found wandering about and having no visible means of subsistence in the parish of Uxbridge. He was discharged.

Rose Hemmans, of Chequers Yard, was brought before Sir W.Wiseman, bart., on the 15th inst., charged by the police with being disorderly and making use of obscene and indecent language in the above yard. She was discharged.

George Southern, labourer, of Hayes, was brought before Sir W.Wiseman, bart., on the 17th inst., charged with stealing a bag containing a quantity of nuts, value 6d, and a measure, value 3d, the property of J.Taylor, also of Hayes. He was committed for trial.

Robert and William Ball, labourers, of Hayes, were brought before T.Dagnell, Esq., on the 20th inst., charged on suspicion of having stolen a flitch of bacon; the prisoners had been remanded, but were now discharged.

Robert Howe, labourer, of Uxbridge, was charged with stealing a quart pot and a dram glass, the property of Thomas Johnston, of Uxbridge. He was discharged.

William Colley, of Northolt, was summoned by William Valder, for 12s wages due to him for labour performed by complainant, which he was ordered to pay.

Thomas Tidby and Charles Akin were summoned by the police for riding on their waggons without reins, in the Cowley road, on the 11th inst. They were fined 2s each and costs.

Thomas Maydon, of Hillingdon, was summoned by the police for keeping swine in a street, so as to be a nuisance. The complaint was dismissed on promising to do away with the nuisance and paying the costs.

Thomas Rickwell was summoned by Elizabeth White for assaulting her on the 11th inst., in the town of Uxbridge, and was fined 1s and costs.

Marlow, Saturday, August 27

A ludicrous circumstance took place at a small public-house near Marlow Bridge a few evenings since. A party were enjoying their midnight glasses, the landlady having sent her little smirking servant to bed, and anxiously wishing to retire herself, when she missed one of the company who she fancied had not left the house. Her suspicion was excited, she searched the house over, Ancilla's door was locked and barred, she roused her up, made her open the door, and searched the room to no purpose. The poor girl was again permitted to rest whilst the rest of the house was again searched in vain. A second time the poor servant was roused from her repose, her bed examined in vain; at length the unfortunate Wight was discovered concealed in a female dress; he vainly endeavoured to laugh off the frolic, but received such treatment from the landlord and his suspicious spouse as will cause him to remember the month of August for years to come.

Last Saturday afternoon a party fishing from a punt below Marlow Wear approached too near the falling water, when one of them, Charles Lloyd, in endeavouring to force the punt from the bank, fell overboard and continued under water for above eight minutes before his body could be got out; it was then apparently lifeless. A lady and gentleman who had just sat down to dinner at the Complete Angler, saw the accident, and instantly sent for Mr.George Hickman, who was from home, and his partner, Mr.Wilkinson, they both fortunately arrived simultaneously , and by their joint efforts, aided by the kind help of a lady who witnessed the accident, life was at last restored.

William Buckingham was taken before the magistrates of Great Marlow on Wednesday last, charged with obtaining a watch under false pretences, belonging to Mr.Richard Cutler, of Lane End, and refusing to restore it to the owner; he was ordered to pay 20s 6d expenses incurred, to give up the watch, and permitted to go about his business.