Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

26th October 1836

Chertsey, Oct 28 - On Wednesday James Hoare was committed to the gaol at Kingston for two months, in default of paying a fine of 5 and costs, for indecently assaulting a female at the corner of Guildford-street in this town. Complaints have frequently been made of a number of idle fellows who congregate at that spot and insult persons passing that way, especially females, and we are glad to see that the magistrates are determined to suppress so abominable a nuisance. Sheep Stealing - On Sunday night last, two wether sheep were stolen from a field of the Earl of Lucan's, at Laleham; his Lordship has offered a reward of 20 on conviction of the offender or offenders.

Staines, Oct 28

On Wednesday last when the London and Salisbury coach arrived near Bedfont, a passenger named Thomas Beston, in getting down to pick up his hat , which had blown off, before the coachman could stop the horses, lost his balance , and fell to the ground with great violence on his head; he, however, got up again and rode as far as Staines, when it was found that he was so severely injured that he could proceed no farther. He was accordingly taken to the Angel and Crown Inn, and there received the requisite medical and other treatment, but he died in a few hours. An inquest was held on the body this day before Thomas Stirling, Esq., Coroner for the county, and a verdict of "Accidental Death" returned. No blame whatever was attributed to the coachman, whose name is Williams, and is a very respectable man. The deceased, who had left a wife and five children, was on his way to Salisbury to enter upon a new situation.

Last week as the Independent Southampton coach was proceeding to London, it was met near this town by a drove of oxen, one of which got between the leaders, and before they could be separated from their unwelcome companion they were so much gored by his horns that the coachman was obliged to leave them behind. The horses have, however, since recovered.

The Late Dr.Smith - The last mournful tribute to departed worth was on Friday paid to the remains of the late Dr.Smith. A numerous concourse of friends, including several clergymen, with Dr.Fergusson of Windsor, and the medical practitioners of Egham, Staines, Chertsey, and Sunbury, attended upon this solemn occasion. The reputation which he held as a physician, joined to his inestimable private character, rendered his death the subject of deep and general sorrow. His urbane manners and kind disposition endeared him to a numerous circle of friends, by whom his memory will be long and affectionately cherished.

The King has been pleased to appoint Colonel the Hon.Sir Horatio George Powis Townsend, Lieutenant-Governor of the Round Tower of Windsor Castle , in the room of Colonel the Hon.Lincoln Stanhope.

Bucks Michealmas Sessions

These sessions took place on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday in last week, before Sir.T.D.Aubrey, Bart., and a bench of magistrates. The calendar was very light, there being only fifteen prisoners for trial.

J.W.Horne was indicted for stealing 23 sheep, the property of Joshua Armstrong, at Newport Pagnel. The sheep had been seen by the prosecutor safe in his field on the morning of the 28th of September, at six o'clock, and at eleven o'clock the same morning the prosecutor saw the prisoner driving them across the street at Newport Pagnel; upon asking where he got them the prisoner said he had bought them and paid for them. It however appeared that the prisoner, who bore a good character for honesty, was sometimes in an insane state of mind, and the Jury, after consulting above an hour, acquitted him.

John Luckett, for stealing several pieces of ash and fir timber was sentenced to three months hard labour.

Philip Moore was indicted for stealing a pony, the property of Mr.Cope, at Hackney. It appeared that on the 25th Sept., the prosecutor turned his pony out on the marshes, and on the 30th it was discovered to have been stolen. In consequence of advertising the pony it was discovered at High Wycombe, in the possession of the prisoner. The jury found him guilty, and he was sentenced to be transported for life.

Eliza Lambert, for uttering base coin, was sentenced to 12 month's hard labour.

George Grant was indicted for stealing a watch, the property of William Thorn. The prosecutor lives at Langley Marish. Between seven and eight o'clock on the evening of the 13th July the prosecutor's wife, Mrs.Thorn, while in the yard heard the garden gate shut, and then she saw the prisoner, who asked her to allow him to light his pipe. She observed that he trembled, and suspecting something was wrong, she went into the parlour from which she missed the watch. She ran out again, called out "stop thief," and followed the prisoner, who was running away, and who in the pursuit dropped the watch, which she picked up. The prisoner was overtaken and lodged in custody. The prisoner, in his defence, said a man came up to him and offered him the watch for sale; he said that he had been many years in the navy, and was on his road to join his ship. The Jury found him guilty, and he was sentenced to six months hard labour.

William Carr was indicted for stealing some wheat from a field at Wycombe. It however appeared, after the case had proceeded for some time, that the indictment could not be supported, and the jury consequently returned a verdict of Not guilty.

Joseph Brown was indicted for stealing a donkey, the property of R.Williams, residing near Beaconsfield. The prosecutor had several donkeys, all of which were safe in his stable on the 27th July last; next day one of them was missing. He afterwards saw the prisoner at Beaconsfield with another donkey, but fastened by the prosecutors halter, and subsequently the stolen donkey was found in the possession of Joseph Hearn, of Wooburn, who proved that he had received it from the prisoner in exchange for another donkey, giving the prisoner 6s in addition. The prisoner who, in his defence, stated that he had been at the battle of Trafalgar with Lord Nelson, was found guilty and sentenced to three month's imprisonment.

John Franklin and John Green were indicted for stealing a small quantity of coals, the property of Mr.Joseph Howard, of Aylesbury. Green was found guilty and sentenced to 1 month's hard labour; and Franklin was acquitted.

William Thompson for stealing forty fleeces of wool, the property of his master, Mr.Edward Biggs, was sentenced to six months hard labour, of which six weeks were to be solitary confinement.

John Sadler was indicted for assaulting Mr.Rawlings, at Marlow races, but no evidence being tendered he was acquitted.

William Allen, for assaulting Thomas Tuck, a constable at Waddesden, was fined 5, and sentenced to one month's imprisonment.

Thomas Carr, for assaulting a constable named Evans, at Little Horwood, in the execution of his duty, was sentenced to two months hard labour.

Datchet Bridge - On the last day of the sessions, among the county business the subject of Datchet bridge was introduced. - Mr.Carrington regretted that the magistrates of Berks had not met this subject in better spirit, and he suggested that another application be made to them, after which, in case of failing of success their only alternative would be an application to the Court of King's Bench. After a short discussion Mr.Carrington's suggestion was adopted, and a committee was appointed to confer with the Berks magistrates.