Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

21st May 1842


A sweepstake for one pair of oars took place on the river, on Friday, between the pupils of the Rev.Mr.Okes, of Eton. The entries were eight in number, and the boats were manned as follows:- Satirist, ma., and Hornby - Foster, steerer; Babington and Leach - Lyon, steerer; Cecil, mi., and Stewart - Earl, steerer; Balfour and Satirist, mi - Elliot, steerer; Stewart and Currie - Brook, steerer; Lord Burleigh and Digsdale[?] - Peel, steerer; Pool, ma., and Campbell - Reynolds, steerer; Hogg, ma., and Hawthorn - Smith, steerer. The start took place at 12 o'clock ; the whole eight got off well together, a close struggle ensuing to the Clump, where three of the boats fouled each other, and were beaten off; Satirist and Hornby then went in advance, being hard pressed by the others to Clewer-point. At Upper Hope they had the race safe in hand; no alteration afterwards occurring in the back boats, which came in as above, Satirist and Hornby winning easily.


Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent arrived this afternoon from Clarence House, St.Jame's, and after inspecting the alterations and improvements now in progress at the mansion (all of which are to be completed in the course of next week) returned to town.


The inhabitants of Iver have recently subscribed, and presented their active chief constable, Mr.Larkin, with the sum of 10 in consideration of his active exertions for the apprehension of numbers of depredators who have infested that parish for a considerable time past.

Chertsey May Fair

This fair, which took place last Saturday, proved a very satisfactory one to both buyer and seller, nearly 24,000 sheep were penned, all of which exchanged owners; Milch cows were a ready sale, fat cattle easily obtained purchasers, and good barreners were soon picked up; the show of horses was anything but good, and only found purchasers for such as were useful; pigs bore a fair price. The holiday folks seemed to enjoy themselves, and the evening passed off pleasantly without any disturbance.

Buckinghamshire Testimonial to the Duke of Buckingham

This long talked of and often postponed event came off on Wednesday last, at the George Inn, Aylesbury. The attendance was of course very numerous, in order to do honour to the self styled "farmers friend," the great Plantagenet , and certainly the "testimonial" was a very handsome and costly piece of plate. It stood four foot six inches in height, weighed 1,800 ounces, and cost 2,000. The Earl of Orkney presided at the dinner, and after the usual loyal toasts the presentation of the plate to his grace took place. His grace made a suitable reply, and as usual enlarged much upon his own exertions for the benefit of the county. A number of speeches were delivered and the party broke up at a late hour.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), and Sir John Chapman]

Mr.James Hewitt, of the Queen's Arms, New-road, appeared to an information laid by C.Clark, a policeman, charging him with suffering beer to be drank on his premises at half past 11 o'clock on the night of the 6th of May, the hour of shutting up being 11 o'clock, whereby he had incurred a penalty.

Henry Sexton, a policeman, said that on the night in question, a few minutes after 11 o'clock, he went to Mr.Hewitt's, and said to Miss Hewitt it was time the house was closed, on which she asked him to go upstairs and acquaint the parties of it. He did so, and they said they had just finished their beer, and they followed him close down stairs. Mr.Hewitt then asked him to allow them a few minutes, as the parties had some little matter or some differences to settle. Witness consented, and then went on his rounds. When he returned he met the acting serjeant , Clark (the informer), and they both went into Mr.Hewitt's, when they found the same parties he had previously seen there standing at the bar in the passage. It was then nearly half-past 11 o'clock. He did not see any of them served with beer, but he saw one drink some beer out of a glass that was half full. He saw no pots there, and on one else was drinking but that one person. Clark said it was time they went away, and they did so.

The defendant said what Sexton had stated was perfectly correct. The fact was, that two of the party had had some differences between them, and it was agreed that the dispute should be left to his (defendant's) arbitration. It was accordingly that night settled at his house, and when Sexton came in a few minutes after 11, they were all ready to go home. One of them, however, invited him to go home to his (that party's) residence and smoke a pipe, at the same time as ordering a can of beer to take home, which was drawn. Defendant then went down to his cellar to turn off his beer for the night, preparatory to going to that person's residence, and while he was there one of the persons very incautiously drew from the can a glass of beer and drank it. That was the beer Sexton saw drunk. The persons were respectable, and there was no sort of disturbance there.

Mr.Lovegrove, the high constable, stated to the magistrates that he knew there had been a dispute between the two persons alluded to by the defendant, and that they agreed to go to the defendant's to effect a reconciliation; also that afterwards there was a supper to be given at the residence of one of those parties.

Sir John Chapman - But the defendant has been here before.

The defendant said he had never had a complaint against his house before, and he had kept it four years.

Sir John Chapman was informed by the police that no information had ever been before laid against the defendant.

The magistrates held that an offence against the act had been committed, but they would only inflict the lowest fine, viz., 10s , and 11s costs.

The defendant indignantly paid the money, and told the magistrates if they knew how hard it was for persons like him to pay their way, they would not be so severe upon them.

Martha, the wife of Henry Brion, residing in Bier-lane, was charged with assaulting Jane, the wife of Richard Lunnon.

The case occupied the attention of the magistrates for a considerable time, but the facts appeared to be these. On Monday morning Mrs.Lunnon was standing at her own door, when a man, who was a perfect stranger to her, and who lodged at Mrs.Brion's next door, but appears to have been a stranger to all the parties, went for a pot of beer, and returning asked Mrs.Lunnon to drink, and she did so. Mrs.Brion it is supposed grew jealous, and flying at Mrs.Lunnon, seized the pot, spilt the remainder of the beer over herself and Mrs.Lunnon, and then threw the pot at Mrs.L which hit her on the her side. This was the assault complained of; besides which the defendant had threatened the complainant with personal violence.

Witnesses were adduced on both sides, and although some discrepancies appeared in their evidence, it was clear that Mrs.Brion was the aggressor.

The bench fined the defendant 5s and 6s 6d costs, which she stated her inability to pay. The Mayor informed her that unless she paid by Thursday she would be committed to prison for three weeks.

James Harris, of Datchet, was charged with assaulting Henry Willmott, a tailor, in Peascod-street.

Mr.C.S.Voules appeared for the defendant.

It appeared in the course of the evidence, which in some parts was of a very contradictory character, that there had been some difference between the parties relating to the assumed misconduct of the defendant's daughter (of which, however, there was no evidence), who had been in complainant's service. The defendant, indignant that any slur should be cast upon the character of his daughter, who appeared a respectable young woman, went to the complainant's house and demanded to see Mrs.Willmott, she, however, was not at home. He sat down and called Mrs.Willmott's sister a liar, and appeared very violent in his manner. This referred to some bill that was incurred at a Mrs.Prentice's for goods, which it was alleged by the complainant had been obtained by the defendants daughter in Mrs.W,'s name, but which on the other side it was stated the defendant's daughter was sent by Mrs.Willmott to obtain the articles without her being supplied with the money at the same time. The complainant hearing a noise came down stairs, when the defendant after abusing him knocked him down, and while down the complainant scratched the defendant's face. The defence was that the complainant first scratched the defendant's face, but this was not made out to the satisfaction of the bench.

The magistrates said there was no doubt an assault had been committed from the examination of the witnesses. They supposed the defendant was naturally excited from what had previously occurred respecting his own daughter, and that would be taken into consideration. The fine would be 5s, and the costs 14s 6d.

The defendant paid the money.

A number of poor-rate default cases were heard, which occupied the magistrates a considerable time.


James Butler, a very old man, upwards of ninety years of age, and apparently very decrepit, and covered with mere rags, was charged with being drunk and disorderly.

Dobson, the police serjeant , said the old man was drunk in the shop of Mr.Chisholm, grocer, of Thames-street, and very disorderly. He was throwing his money about, and witness produced 12s 10 1/2d belonging to him.

To questions put to him, the old man said he was an Irishman, but had been to America, and he had now been in England 22 years. He had a sovereign given to him the previous day in London by Lord Maryborough.

He was admonished and discharged.

James Drummond was charged with begging in the town and being so sturdy a vagrant that on anybody's refusal to relieve him he refused to leave their houses. He was reprimanded, and on his promise to leave Windsor he was liberated.

Edward Butler was charged with begging by means of begging petitions. No sufficient case was made against him, and therefore the magistrates discharged him with a severe reprimand.

Mr.Sharman, whose charity had been tested by this prisoner, suggested to the magistrates that it would be highly advantageous if persons would adopt this plan - If a party applied for relief by means of a petition or letter, to investigate the circumstances detailed in the memorial before relieving , because great impositions were practised. He invariably did so, and he had done so in the case of this prisoner, who he felt confident had endeavoured to raise money improperly; for the petition stated that the prisoner's sister had a daughter lying dead, without her having the means of burying her. Two benevolent ladies, Mrs.Girding and Mrs.Gillett had provided a coffin for her, but the sister had grumbled that there was not furniture for it, and yet the prisoner went about with his petition for relief to bury the child. He (Mr.Sharman) had investigated a number of cases of persons who went about with begging letters and he never found one of those documents correct.

The magistrates thanked Mr.Sharman for his suggestion, and said no doubt the reporters for the press would notice the subject by way of cautioning the public.

We understand the magistrates have given orders that all vagrants found in Windsor shall be taken into custody.

Staines, Saturday, May 21.

On Saturday last a little girl of the name of Wicks was playing on the towing-path under one of the arches of Staines Bridge, she by some accident fell into the Thames; fortunately she was observed by some persons, who immediately gave the alarm, and Thomas Fletcher, a fisherman, being close by hastened to the spot and plunged into the river just in time to save her after she had sunk twice, the water there being very deep. Proper attention being given to the child it was soon restored. We trust the conduct of Fletcher will not go unrewarded.

A most singular occurrence took place on Monday last. The man who looks after the toll of the bridge hearing a great noise about three o'clock in the morning, came out to see the cause of it, and found to his astonishment a cow with its head fixed in the iron rails on the footpath to prevent cattle from passing through. It appears the cow was purchased at Chertsey fair on Saturday last by a person from Iver, the calf being sold away from her, and being loose she endeavoured to get back again in search of her offspring. Unfortunately the man could not extract her, and it being so early an hour he could not get assistance, and continuing in that situation she became so exhausted that she was obliged to be killed, and the rails were pulled down to extract her.

High Wycombe, Saturday, May 21.
London Missionary Society

The anniversary sermons in aid of this society were preached on Sunday last, in the morning at Ebenezer Chapel, and in the evening at Crendon-lane Chapel, by the Rev.Mr.Moffatt, late a missionary from Africa; and on the following day the annual public meeting was held in the Town-hall, Robert Wheeler, Esq., in the chair. The collection exceeded 20.

Horticultural and Floral Society

The first show this season was held on Wednesday in our Town-hall, which, during the whole of the exhibition, was crowded with delighted spectators. Our townsmen Mr.Hunt, Mr.Tatem, jun., Mr.Wheeler, jun., Mr.Lockey, Mr.Langstone, and Mr.Ashton were among the successful competitors, Mr.Hunt obtaining most of the first prizes.


On the 18th last, at Uxbridge, the wife of Mr.T.Johnson, jun., draper, of a daughter.


On the 14th inst., at Bray, by the Rev.Walter Levirt, vicar. Mr George Bennett, of Maidenhead, to Caroline Ann, only daughter of the late Mr.Richard Lovegrove, of the same place.
On the 17th inst., at Wilborough church, Newton Abbott, Devon. Mr.W.Underhay, of Upper Baker-street, Regent's-park, to Miss Caroline Willey, of Newton Abbott.


On the 13th inst., at Fern-acres, near Fulmar, Mrs.Elizabeth Cossley, aged 72.
On the 15th [?] inst., after a few days illness, in the 37th year of his age, Mr.John Jackson, many years of the White Hart Tap, Windsor.
On the same day, at Headley, near Lephook, Hants, Mr.Malner Walker, veterinary surgeon, much regretted, aged 22 years.
On the same day at Uxbridge, Mrs.Margaret Moore, aged 82.
On the same day at Uxbridge, Joseph Davis, aged 2 years and 3 months.
On the same day at Uxbridge, William Tomlins, aged 8 months.
On the 16th inst., at Uxbridge, Watson Cosier, youngest son of Mr.H.G.Cosier, stationer, &c., aged 5 [?] years and 3 months.
On the 17th inst., in Hercules Buildings, Westminster-road, Lambeth, Susan Howard, wife of Mr.J.W.S.Potter, Thames-street, Windsor, aged 32, sincerely regretted.
On the 18th inst, at Uxbridge, suddenly, Anna, eldest daughter of Mrs Anna Hull, of the Society of Friends, aged 56.
On the 20th inst, at Uxbridge, Wm.Henry, son of Mr.Benj.Drinkwater, aged 3 years and 10 months.