Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

20th October 1827

On Saturday the Rev. David Frederick Markham M.A., was installed, with the usual ceremony, as a prebendary of St.George's Chapel, in Windsor Castle, and on Sunday the Rev.Gentleman officiated.

Yesterday our Borough Quarter Sessions took place at the Town Hall, before Sir Giffin Wilson, Recorder; Thomas Jenner, Esq., Mayor; and John Voules, Esq., Justice.

The Recorder, in his address to the grand jury, observed that though there was considerable business to demand their attention, he was happy to say it was not of a nature that might be called strictly criminal. There had been much said lately of the general rise in crime throughout the country, but to the honour of the borough, the observation was not borne out in this jurisdiction.

No bill was found in the case of Samuel Carter against Elizabeth Kite, for assault.

William Dunn, aged 16, was indicted as principal, and Charles Harrison, as accessory, for having on the 5th of October, stolen 25 yards of Calico, value 10s, the property of Mr.Wells, linendraper, of Thames street.

Mr. William Wells deposed, that on the above day, he lost about twenty seven or eight yards of printed calico; in the evening it was brought to his shop by Mr.Hodges, the constable, and he identified it by his private mark upon it; had seen it the day preceding, and to his knowledge it had not been sold - the private mark would otherwise have been taken off.

Charles Hodges, from information received from Mr.Holderness, watched for the prisoners, and observed Dunn pass his shop and go up Church-lane, with a bundle under his arm; he followed and overtook him; in the bundle was a piece of calico, and suspecting it to be stolen, he took the lad to gaol, when he told him his sister gave him the calico; he endeavoured in the various linendrapers shops in the town to find an owner for it, and at last Mr.Wells claimed it. Harrison was afterwards apprehended at the George the Fourth, but nothing was found upon him.

Richard Dare, apprentice to Mr.Wells, proved that he hung the calico at the shop door, on the morning of the 5th, and did not miss it till it was brought to the shop by Mr.Hodges.

There being no evidence shown against Harrison, the jury immediately acquitted him.

Dunn stated that a man gave him the calico, and bid him stand in the market place with it till he saw him; he waited half an hour, and then went away.

The jury found the prisoner Guilty.

On being questioned by the Recorder, the lad stated that he was born on Tower Hill, but his father being poor, he left him, and had since driven cattle about the country.

The Recorder, in passing sentence, thought it advisable to separate him from the bad set he had no doubt been leagued with, and he should accordingly transport him for seven years.

The father of the boy, who was in court, was much affected.

John Brown and William Sable were indicted for stealing, on the 14th instant , a peck of potatoes, the property of Mr.Dash, of the Star and Garter Inn.

Mr.Thomas Dash deposed, that Mr.Thumwood rented a stable and loft in his yard. On the above date he saw some potatoes in a sack in Mr.Thumwood's loft, covered with several sacks; he compared them with some in his own granary, and found them exactly similar; he asked Mr.Brown (Mr.Thumwood's man) how he came by them; he said he bought them in the market, but he did not know from whom; he afterwards said a stranger in the yard brought them for him; and on being further questioned, he confessed that Sable had fetched them from the granary for him. The lad being confronted with him, said that Brown had asked him to get some potatoes, and he had taken a pail full from Mr.Dash's granary. The granary is always locked, and the key kept by the ostler.

Mr.Henry Thumwood's evidence was nearly similar to the foregoing.

The Recorder said he had great difficulty in stating the case to the jury: - It was simple in itself, but very unsatisfactory. A link was wanting in the evidence as to the manner the potatoes were obtained. There was no doubt that Brown asked Sable to get some potatoes, but it was doubtful if he was aware there were any in the granary, and whether the words could be interpreted "go and steal." There was much ignorance and indifference in Sable putting his neck, as it were, into the collar, by fetching the potatoes, whereby he could gain no possible advantage. With these remarks he should leave the case in their hands.

The jury returned a verdict of Not Guilty.

Samuel Brincklett and James Church were indicted for assaulting Wm.Coker, in the execution of his duty as watchman, on the 30th July.

The prosecutor stated that late on the above evening, he was in Peascod-street, and hearing a row of two men fighting, he endeavoured to quell it, and got one of the men away, the other man then struck the man over his shoulder; witness turned round and remonstrated, when he was struck by Brincklett in the mouth, he collared him, and was taking him away, when a voice cried "Down with the Charley," and he was instantly surrounded and knocked down, Church was of the party and pushed him.

James Downs stated that he saw Church pull Brincklett away from the watchman.

The defendants called two witnesses, who were present, and did not see any blow struck by the accused parties.

Guilty - The Recorder said, the offence was trifling , but the watchmen and other peace officers of the borough must be protected. They were each fined the sum of 18s[?].

Berry Manley was indicted for an assault on Thomas Bennett, on the 24th of September. The only remarkable incident in the case, was the impudent perjury of two witnesses for the defence, John Flowers and John Mole, who swore point blank the reverse of the evidence given by the prosecutor and his witnesses, whose credit not being at all doubted, the defendant was found Guilty and fined 20. The Recorder ordered Flowers and Mole to be detained, they were afterwards admonished, and sent away.

Wm.Bragg was indicted for an assault on Richard Morton, on the 17th inst. The prosecutor and defendant are porters in the employ of the proprietors of the coaches in this town; and the assault arose from the party spirit which prevails to a great extent, and much to the annoyance of many of the residents near the offices. The assault being fully proved, the Recorder severely depreciated the present system , which he judged was not tolerated by the proprietors themselves, and as it had become a public nuisance , it must be put down. - Guilty .- The defendant was fined 20s, and ordered to obtain sureties for his good behaviour for a twelvemonth.

On Tuesday last, Messrs.Thumwood and Co's London and Reading coach, on its was to the latter town, was overturned on the foot path, near the entrance to Wokingham, owing to the driver letting two of the reins drop, which rendered the horses unmanageable. The fore carriage separating entirely from the rest with the fall, the horses turned round with it, and ran off at a furious rate towards Bracknall. On arriving at Coppice Beech Lane gate, which was closed, they made a desperate effort to clear it, and were very much injured in consequence; the gate was broken in several places. Fortunately there was only an elderly lady a passenger inside, who escaped without any serious hurt. Immediately on Mr.Thumwood becoming acquainted with the transaction, he discharged the coachman.

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Oxford, attended by the President of St.John's and the warden of All Soul's College, on Monday made their triennial visitation of Reading School, and, in conformity with ancient customs, were spectators of a dramatic representation , performed by the scholars committed to their fostering and superintending care. The performances were the Hercuba of Euripides, and Hamlet, compressed into three acts by Dr.Valpy, both of which afforded great delight to the visitors, both on that and the following evening. The surplus of the proceeds over the expense of the entertainment is to be appropriated to the Reading Dispensary, which it is considered will benefit largely from the charitable benevolence of the distinguished strangers who witnessed it.

On Tuesday last the Michaelmas Sessions was held at Abingdon, when the following prisoners were put upon their trials :-

William Attwell and Thomas Martin, for stealing two pigs, the property of Robert Hanson, on the 11th of October, at Basildon - Each two month's hard labour.

John Beezley, for stealing two half crowns, the property of James Jewins, at Easthampstead. - Two month's hard labour, and to be once privately whipped.

Joseph Dawson, for stealing three shirts and a handkerchief from the garden of John Povey, at Chieveley. - Three month's hard labour.

James Gaine [?], for stealing a quantity of leather, and other articles, on the 5th of October, at Burghfield, the property of Charles Hearn. - One weeks imprisonment.

Thomas Gale, for stealing a piece of ash timber, the property of J.S.Breedon, Esq. - One month's hard labour.

Harriet Hudson and Catherine Tame [?] , charged with stealing a quantity of wheat straw, the property of Wm.Powell, at Marcham . - Discharged.

John James, for stealing a quantity of milk, the property of Thomas Myers, of Langford. - Three month's hard labour.

William Martin, for stealing several articles of wearing apparel, at Wantage, the property of Robert Chapman. - Three month's imprisonment at Abingdon.

Stephen Stroud, for stealing five tame rabbits, the property of Mrs.Bozley . - One month's hard labour, and to be privately whipped.

William Walker, for stealing a smock frock, the property of George Phillips. - One month's hard labour, and to be privately whipped.

Surrey Sessions. - Kingston, Tuesday, Oct.16.
These sessions commenced this morning before an unusual , in point of number, bench of magistrates. Benjamin Barnard, Esq., in the chair.

The grand jury being sworn, and the reports of the visiting magistrates of the various gaols in the county, being received.

Mr.Briscoe moved, that in future the trials of the prisoners and the traverses take precedence of the appeals.

Mr.Edgill seconded the motion; Mr.Scrivener opposed it ; and the two members of the county were in favour of it as an experiment.

On the motion being put to the Chairman, it was carried by a majority of 11, the numbers being 18 for, and 7 against it.

On the motion of Mr.Dennison a committee was appointed to take into consideration the coal meters act, which expires in June next, as it regarded the number, appointment, and duty of those officers in the county.

Wednesday , Oct.17.

The annual licenses for Astley's, the Surrey Theatre, the Coburg Theatre, and Vauxhall Gardens were applied for in the usual manner. The three former licenses were granted without discussion.

On the Vauxhall license being moved by Mr.Thesiger, he said, that when at the last sessions held at Kingston, he had applied on behalf of Messrs. Gye and Hughes for this license, some objections had been made in consequence of a complaint made to the magistrates by persons resident in the neighbourhood of Vauxhall. He was glad now to be enabled to inform the magistrates, that those complaints had been removed, at that some of the persons by whom they had been preferred , regretted they had done so. He therefore trusted that the license would be granted for the ensuing year.

Mr.Randle Jackson, Mr.Sergeant Scriven, and Mr.Briscoe, made some observations respecting the gardens, and the lateness of the hour to which they were kept open. Mr.Briscoe said he was particularly induced to do so by the severe animad [?] versions which had been made on the conduct of the magistrates for Surrey, by the Times newspaper. The magistrates of Surrey, in interfering as they have done respecting Vauxhall Gardens, were induced to do so by complaints of persons who were disturbed in the enjoyment of their houses by the noises which prevailed in these gardens, and the resort of improper characters. If these could be removed, he, and, he believed , every other, magistrate, had no objection whatever to the gardens. He was an advocate for extending, rather than abridging, the public amusements , but no one could say it was not possible to exercise caution respecting such establishments as that now under discussion. With respect to the internal management of Vauxhall, he had observed, and knew that it was extremely proper. The practise of letting off fireworks, by which great noise was occasioned, and at a late hour, was that which had been found inconvenient to the neighbourhood, and which the managers ought to guard against.

After some further discussion.

Mr.Thesiger observed, that the license of last year had been granted with certain implied restrictions. The managers had obeyed these restrictions. They had lighted the dark walk, and left of the fireworks at 11 o'clock, and had in all other respects confined themselves to what they understood to be the wishes of the magistrates. In doing so , however, they had suffered great inconvenience, and had incurred great loss. His object now was to obtain from the magistrates a remission of the restriction as to the fireworks, and be permitted to let them off at half past 11 instead of at 11. The proprietors were at the same time willing to pledge themselves that they would have all the amusements over by 12 o'clock.

Mr.Jackson objected, that as the letting off fireworks at all was illegal; and an indictable nuisance by the persons who might feel aggrieved at it, the court could not, even by implication, sanction it.

Some other magistrates thought it was better to have no understanding upon the subject, but to leave it to the management, who know the opinion of the court, the choice of complying with them, or of incurring a hazard of having their license refused the next time they should apply.

The license was then granted.


The parish of Iver having appealed against the county rate at the last Midsummer Sessions, and the court having thought proper considerably to raise the parish of Langley Marish, and not to reduce Iver, it is understood that Langley intend, at the next session to appeal against the rating of one parish in the same neighbourhood, and another at the other end of the county, which are considered under rated in proportion to Langley, and in all probability it will become a general thing throughout the county, in order to equalize the rate.

The remains of Lord Guildford were brought to Aylesbury on Thursday, being up the road to Wroxton Abbey, where they are to be interred. The coffin was taken from the hearse, and laid in state during the night at a room in the George inn, lighted with large wax candles. It was covered with crimson velvet, fastened with gilt nails, and a silver plate on it bore the inscription "The Right Honourable Frederick Lord Guildford died October 14th , 1827, in the 62nd year of his age." The remains of his Lordship were placed in the hearse the next morning, and at half past seven were conveyed towards their resting place in the following order of procession.

Four men on horseback, two and two.
The hearse drawn by six black horses, having the arms of the deceased
handsomely emblazoned , on the panels,
Two mourning coaches and six.
Two horsemen.

On Friday a bay horse was stolen from a field at Buckingham. It was traced through Tingewick tollbox, by Mr.Castles, the owner. On the same morning a nag horse, 6 years old, belonging to Mr.Farren of Croughton, was stolen. It is supposed the same party effected both robberies, as two men were seen in that neighbourhood with four horse, two of which resembled those stolen. Societies formed on the plan that at Oswestry, as mentioned in our last paper, would be a considerable check to horse stealing, if they did not prevent it entirely.

Bucks Michaelmas Sessions, Tuesday Oct.16.

Sir E.Carrington took the chair, and was supported by the following gentlemen. Magistrates of the county :- Sir J.D.King, Bart., Sir T.F.Fremantle, Bart., Sir T.D.Aubrey, Bart., Sir S.B.Morland, Bart., Hon.Robert Smith, G.Carrington, Esq., T.O'Loghlin[?], Esq., M.Swabey, Esq., T.T.Barnard, Esq., J.Grubb, Esq., W.S.Lowndes, Esq., Rev.Dr.Scobell, Rev.C.Ashfield, Rev.W.H.Wroth, Rev.T.Archer, Col.Browne, Rev.C.R.Ashfield, Rev.H.King, &c.

John Fane, Esq., M.P., for Oxfordshire, was sworn on the commission of the peace for the county of Bucks.

The Court then adjourned to transact county business.

The Chairman, on his return, inquired for Mr.Cooke, the High Constable of that division of the county in Wyrardisbury is situate (the scene of the contest between Curtis and Tisdale), and told him that he had been informed a regular prize fight had taken place in his neighbourhood. Prize fights, he, as a constable, ought to know were reprehensible, and contrary to law, rendering not only the principals liable to punishment, but all those who were present at them. He wished to be informed what reason Mr.Cooke could assign for not interfering to prevent the fight.

Mr.Cooke declared that he had not heard any thing respecting it until some days after it was over.

The Chairman observed, that he understood Mr.Cooke did not reside in the county, to which might be attributed his ignorance of its having taken place; it was of consequence that every one filling the office of constable, should be resident in the district, the duties of which he was appointed to fulfil.

Mr.Cooke said, had he been aware of the fight, he would have endeavoured to prevent it.

The Chairman told him, that as he seemed to be aware of his duty, he hoped such an occurrence would not again take place. It having now happened, showed the necessity of his residence in the county.

Mr.Cooke said, he had property both in Berkshire and in Buckinghamshire; he admitted, however, that he resided in Windsor, which is in the first named county. He had been high constable for 22 years, and never had a complaint made against him before.

The conversation here ended, and Sir Edmund Carrington proceeded to hear the Appeals in the inner court. The Trials of the Prisoners were proceeded with in the outer Court; Sir T.F.Fremantle in the chair.


Frederick Wyatt against the conviction of the Rev.William Jones. - The appellant, who is a driver and past proprietor of the Marlow coach, was convicted before the Rev.Wm.Jones, at Chalfont, of having twelve outside passengers on his coach, besides luggage, in passing the Pied Horse, near Slough, on the 3d of September. Not being able to attend on the day appointed for the hearing, he sent a friend to request it might be postponed, but the request was not granted, and he was fined in the mitigated penalty of 20, and 12s 6d for costs. He now appealed against the conviction, which was obtained on the evidence of a man named Stringall, who is employed, as a witness, by the well known Johnson, the informer.

Mr.Monro, as counsel for the appellant proposed to call witnesses to prove that he had not about the legal number of passengers on his coach all the way to London.

Mr.Bligh, for the informer, objected to the reception of any new evidence, on the ground this was only a Court for the review of the decision of the inferior court, and, as such , could not hear any new witnesses.

The Court overruled the objection.

William Stringall, the informer's witness, was then called, and deposed that he saw the Marlow coach driven by the appellant, pass the Pied Horse, at Upton cum Chalvey, on the 3d of September, and that he counted twelve passengers on the outside, none of whom were children. There was also a sack, two boxes, and some other luggage on the roof. - On his cross examination he said, the coach did not stop at the Pied Horse, and that he counted the passengers as it passed. He was to have none of the penalty, but Wyatt had twice offered to give him half if he would keep out of the way. He had never laid above three or four informations; but had been a witness in some hundreds. He had ten-shillings a day and his expenses for his trouble.

Several technical objections were made to the conviction, but being on matters of form, were not allowed.

Charles Sweet, of Chancery-lane, London, looking glass maker, was then called for the appellant, and deposed that he went from Marlow to London by Wyatt's coach, on the day in question, and remembered passing Slough, but did not know the Pied Horse. There were no more than ten passengers on the coach all the way from Maidenhead to Brentford. There was no one got up while the coach was going on. There was no luggage on the roof out of Maidenhead - Cross examined - Did talk sometimes with Wyatt, but never got upon the coach after it had started, nor ever saw anyone else do so. Did not see a sack nor any other luggage on the roof. Wyatt was very particular in desiring that no luggage might be put there, and told two old women not to put their bundle on the top of the coach.

Thomas Longley, of Chalfont, and Benjamin Miles, of the Swan, at Salt Hill confirmed the testimony.

The Court retired and deliberated for some time. On their return the Chairman declared that they were of the opinion that the conviction must be quashed.

Mr.Monro applied for costs, as the conviction had been obtained on the evidence of a paid witness, whose testimony had been disproved by disinterested persons.

The Court rejected the application on the ground that the witnesses now produced might have been brought forward on the hearing at Chalfont, and declared their opinion that there was no impeachment of the testimony of Stringall.

The witnesses were all ordered out of Court, at the commencement of the investigation at the request of Mr.Bligh, Johnson was in Court near his counsel.

Wm.French, against the conviction of the Rev.Wm.Jones. - This was a similar appeal to the last, on an information laid by the same informer against Mr.Wm.French, driver of the Windsor coach. Mr.Sanders , for the appellant, made a variety of objections of a technical nature, which were all overruled by the Court. - Stringall was again called, and stated that he saw the appellant's coach, between the Pied Horse and the Rein Deer, with 12 passengers on the outside, besides a great quantity of luggage on the roof. A summons was served on Mr.French, to which he appeared with a solicitor, and objected to a figure being struck out of the summons. He might have had the case adjourned, but declined if, - Mr.Sanders now objected to the summons, but the Court decided that the appearance cured all his defects. - Order confirmed, Mr.Bligh asked for costs. - Mr.Sanders opposed the application. The Court was of opinion that the informer was entitled to costs in this case, as the objections were all merely formal, and it was necessary to support the execution of these penal laws.

Trials of Prisoners
Before Sir Edmund Carrington.

Joseph Clarke was indicted for feloniously stealing one quartern and two half quartern loaves, on the 15th of October, from the shop of Mr.Thomas Fell, of Aylesbury, he, the said Joseph Clarke, having been previously convicted of felony.

Mr.Wallinger, who conducted the prosecution, called

John Holdham, one of the watchmen of Aylesbury, who deposed, that on the preceding Monday, he saw the prisoner come out of Mr.Fell's shop with three loaves under his arms walking away very softly without any shoes on. He stopped him and said, is you name Clarke. The prisoner said, whats that to you, and being further questioned, said he had bought the bread. Holdham took him to Mr.Fell's, and the prisoner then said he bought the bread at Mr.Woodman's.

Benjamin Markham , another watchman, was with Holdham and confirmed his testimony.

Harriet Cox, servant to Mr.Fell, said that the loaves were on the counter just before, and that she had not sold them to any one.

Mr.Fell believed the bread to have been his. There was so much missing from his shop.

Mr.Woodman said, he had sold no bread to the prisoner on the evening in question. It was not his bread.

Mr.Sherriff produced a certificate of the conviction of the prisoner for felony, in October 1825.

The prisoner, in his defence, said he gave a boy money to buy him some bread, and the boy told him he bought it at Mr.Woodman's. The boy was not here. He had nobody to give him a character . - Verdict - Guilty.

The prisoner was put by for the present, and the next day was brought up and sentenced to Transportation for Life, the Chairman observing that light punishment appeared to have no effect upon him.

Before Sir T.F.Fremantle

Richard Edwards, a boy of the age of 17, dressed in a smockfrock, and having the appearance of what he really was, a farmer's labourer, was indicted for an assault on Deborah Lacey, a child under 10 years of age, (email me for details of this case at address above) - Guilty - Six months hard labour, and to be privately whipped.

James King was placed at the bar charged with having stolen, on the 26th of July, ten deal boards, the property of Henry Crook. - Mr.Crook, it appeared, is a builder at High Wycombe, who having been employed to do some work at Brockhurst, in the parish of Chesham, by a Mr.Puddephatt, sent over a quantity of deal boards, which were placed in Mr.Puddephatt's cart-house. They were seen by John Crake and Samuel Hearn, carpenters employed by Mr.Crook, safe at the cart-house on the afternoon of the 26th of July; the next morning they were missing. Suspicion falling on the prisoner, his premises were searched, and in "a back place" a number of boards were found cut into short lengths and covered over with straw. The boards were produced and identified most positively by Mr.Crook and his workmen as those stolen; they said they had been cut into the lengths described since they had been taken away, but they were enabled to swear to them by the quality of the wood, its thickness, and the mark on some of the pieces, W X C. Being called upon for his defence, the prisoner asserted his innocence, and said he bought the deals of a man who had been dead two months, and being a wheelwright he had cut them up to make them into a barrow. He called Mr.Howe, the constable, to speak to his character. Mr.Howe said he had known the prisoner fourteen years, and he had worked for him, but he never had heard an imputation against his honesty before. At the time this offence had been committed he had been a good while without work, and he had a large family of six children, who he believed wanted bread. The jury returned a verdict of Guilty, but recommended him to mercy. - One calendar month hard labour.

Robert Burton was indicted for having stolen at Ashwell, eleven pieces of wood intended as hurdle heads, the property of King Taylor. - Mr.Taylor deposed that in consequence of having lost a quantity of hurdle heads he put a cross on some which remained in his farm-yard with a pencil. He again missed some on the 22nd of September, and suspecting the prisoner had taken them, he searched his house, where he found five hurdle heads near the fire place; one of them had the pencil mark he had put upon it, and he knew them all to be his property. - In his defence the prisoner pleaded distress; his wife, two sons, and a daughter were ill, and wanting some firewood he took a few bits of sticks thinking them of no value. - Guilty - Two calendar months hard labour. The Court admonished Mr.Taylor that the proper way to protect his property was to lock it up, and not to lay a trap for the poor by leaving it exposed in his farm-yard with a mark upon it.

Richard Goodchild, a lad aged 14, was placed at the bar, and arraigned on a charge of having stolen a piece of brass, part of a vat, the property of Mr.George Venables, a paper maker living at Taplow. He pleased Guilty, and persisted in the plea, notwithstanding he was told that it would not operate in mitigation of punishment. - The Chairman called Mr.Venables, and asked him if he knew any circumstances in the boys favour. Mr.Venables said, he did not. He had a number of boys in his employ, who were in the habit of stealing pieces of brass from the mill, and selling it, he therefore found it necessary to make an example. - The Chairman ordered the offender to be placed in solitary confinement for one week and whipped, and desired him when he went back to tell his companions what he had suffered, and that if any of them were brought before him their punishment would be still more severe.

Wm.Scott was indicted for having stolen a shovel, value 1s 6d., the property of Joseph Foster Palmer, at Olney, since deceased. - Guilty. - One Calendar Month's Hard Labour.

Thomas Carter was indicted for having stolen on the 17th of September, in the parish of Hanslope, an oak post, the property of His Majesty George IV; the post was also laid in another count as the property of His Majesty's Commissioners of Woods and Forests. - Mr. Andrews, who was engaged in the prosecution , stated that it had been found necessary to institute the present proceedings, in consequence of the numerous depredations committed on the Crown timber, in Saleey [?] forest, no less than 400 posts having been stolen out of the number of 1200. - From the evidence, it appeared that Mr.Kent., the Deputy Surveyor of these lands, placed Stephen Keen to watch for the thieves in a place called Hanslope Hollows; in the night the prisoner came and took one of the posts, and as he was carrying it away, Keen left his hiding place, pursued, and overtook him with the post in his possession. - Guilty. - The months hard labour.

Henry Williams was indicted for having stolen a male ass, the property of James Dupre, Esq., at the parish of Chalfont St.Giles. - Mr.Bligh stated the case for the prosecution.

William Leslie, being sworn, stated that he is in the service of Mr.Dupre. On the 4th of February he had a male ass belonging to his master in a farm-yard at Dean, in the parish of Chalfont. He missed it the next day. Handbills were printed and circulated, and about a month afterwards he heard from Mr.Eggleton, of West Moulsoe, that he had lost the donkey. He went and saw it there. He knew it by it being a male ass, by the hair rubbed off from its shoulder, and by its having a scar on the wither. It was worth 30s.

Mr.William Eggleton stated that he lives at West Moulsoe, and bought an ass of the prisoner on the 28th of February. He asked 1 for it, which the witness said he would give if it suited him, but he must first have it on trial. The prisoner said he might have it on trial as long as he pleased, and sent the ass the same evening. The prisoner did not some again for the ass; but witness received a handbill from the constable at Cobham describing Mr.Dupre's ass, and a message desiring him if the persons who brought it to him were at Moulsoe to take them into custody. Afterwards, having received information that the prisoner was in Kingston gaol for horse stealing, he went and saw him there; the prisoner told him he had taken the donkey in exchange for another at Sunninghill.

The defence set up by the prisoner was that he swapped a female ass for the one in question.

Mr.Eggleton said the prisoner had worked for him seven years ago, and he was then a good lad.

The Foreman, in returning a verdict of Guilty, said the prisoner had worked for him ten years ago under a different name from that which he now bore. Sentence Nine calendar months hard labour, and to be once privately whipped.

Thomas Kitchener [?] was indicted for stealing, on the 4th of September, at Stony Stratford, 4lbs of mutton, 6lbs of beef, and 8lbs of veal, the goods of Joseph Clare. Guilty - Six weeks hard labour.