Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

1st January 1842

Seasonable Gifts

Munificence of Her Majesty and Prince Albert

On Christmas Eve (yesterday week) a most benevolent distribution to one hundred poor families of this borough, at the expense of her Majesty, was made as follows :- To each adult was given 4lbs of beef, 2lbs of bread, 1lb of plum pudding, a peck of potatoes and two pints of ale; children half quantity; and a sack of coals to each family. His Royal Highness Prince Albert most generously caused to be distributed yesterday (New Year's Eve) a similar munificent benefaction to the same number of the poor of the borough. The distribution of these royal benevolences was entrusted to Mr.Thomas Adams, the vicar's churchwarden.

The annual dinner of roast beef and plum pudding &c., &c., given for so many years, by the late Mrs.Beal Bonnell, of Pelling-place, to the number of 75 poor people of Old Windsor, was given as usual on Christmas-day, according to the will of the late deceased lady, by the direction of her residuary legatee.

The poor inmates of the Windsor Union were regaled on Christmas-day, with a liberal supply of good old English fare, roast beef, plum-pudding, and ale, the expense of which was defrayed by subscriptions collected by the guardians of the respective parishes.

In addition to the above several of the more wealthy persons in this town and vicinity have not been forgetful of their poorer fellow-creatures.

Present to Prince Albert

A few days since a very remarkable fine and fat haunch of "Down" mutton, weighing 38 1/2lbs was presented to his Royal Highness Prince Albert by the well known breeder and grazier Mr.West, of Cambridgeshire.

Theatre Royal

The experiment of a winter campaign, which, under the old management was unsuccessful, has been made by Mr.Dodd, and commenced on Monday last with a very respectable company, although the theatre has been much less patronised than we could have wished to see.


On the night of the 23rd, or morning of the 24th ult., a leaden pump was stolen from the shop of Mr.Smith, near Nag's-head, Oakley-green, and on the latter day two men, named Wm and Henry Sumner, father and son, were taken into custody charged with the robbery, and they have been fully committed to trial.


On Tuesday night, or early on Wednesday morning, the residence of Charles Fuller, Esq., of Filberts, Holyport, was entered by some thieves and the following articles stolen therefrom :- A large copper boiler, two copper covers, two coal scuttles, and several pots, pans, &c. The thieves escaped undetected , and the robbery was only discovered in the morning by a servant finding a quantity of glasses and a decanter on the lawn, which the thieves had placed there intending probably to return for them.


On Monday last a man named Richard Hampstead was taken by virtue of a warrant before C.Clowes, Esq., and C.Towers, Esq., magistrates for Bucks, having been apprehended by Mr.Larkin, chief constable of Iver, charged with setting snares for game on the grounds of M.A.Drummond, Esq., of Denham. The case was proved against him and he was fined 2 and 21s 6d costs; in default of payment he was committed to the House of Correction and to hard labour for two months.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), and Sir John Chapman]

John Stevens was charged with being drunk and disorderly. He was remanded and discharged.

John Flowers was charged by the police on suspicion of stealing a quantity of sheet lead that was found in his possession by a policeman, who, on the previous evening accosted him, when the prisoner had a sack with the lead in his possession. He was remanded to make enquiry about the lead.


It was ordered that the magistrates be summoned to meet on Monday next, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon, for the purpose of considering the prison regulations.

Wm.Hazlehurst, the keeper of a beer-shop at the back of the infantry barracks, was summoned for having kept his house open at half-past 12 o'clock on Saturday night, or rather Sunday morning, by which he had incurred a penalty.

Robert Weyman, a supernumerary constable, deposed that he was on duty on Saturday night, and at about 11 o'clock he went to the defendant's house and cleared it of the persons who were there. At about half-past 12 he went in again, when he saw seven persons there, all soldiers but one, having pots of beer before them. Neither the defendant nor his wife was at home, and the house was left in charge of Mrs.Hazlehurst's brother.

In cross-examination by Mr.Voules, who attended for the defendant, the witness said that the party were four sergeants, two privates, and a civilian. The defendant's brother desired him not to make a noise about it, but he did not say that the soldiers had represented themselves as a picket.

Jas.Dobson, the serjeant of police, deposed that he afterwards went to the defendants house at about one o'clock, when he saw two serjeants and a civilian there, and that there were pots with beer in them.

It further appeared, from additional evidence, that there had been a complete "row" between the defendant, his wife, and a person named Plumridge, but the nature and the particulars of it did not transpire farther than this :- The defendant and his wife and Plumridge seemed to have quarrelled, Mrs.Hazlehurst being drunk, and a fight ensued, in which Mrs.H got cover with blood, and Hazlehurst himself some bruises. The latter gave his wife and Plumridge into custody, but afterwards Hazlehurst went to the station-house to release his wife, leaving his wife's brother, named Hasleton, in charge of his house during his absence. It was while he was absent that the soldiers came in.

Mr.Voules, on behalf of his client, having urged all these circumstances in mitigation, the magistrates took them into consideration, and fined the defendant in the mitigated penalty of 10s and 14s costs, which he paid.

John Flowers, who was on Monday charged on suspicion of stealing some lead, was again brought up. It had been ascertained by the police that the lead had been taken from one of Mr.Bedborough's houses at Clewer. There was, however, no one in attendance to prosecute, and the prisoner was again remanded.

Staines, Saturday, January 1.

Very great skill and genius have been brought out among the students of the Royal Academy in the last competition for the medals awarded for the best model, taken from an antique; one of these medals was gained by Mr.George G Adams, of this town, this being the second awarded to him. Being now only on his nineteenth year, and the merit of gaining two medals at this age being unprecedented, it naturally excites great expectations of him. When a child he was placed under Mr.George Bennett, who discovering a great propensity in him to be carving and engraving, some of his specimens at ten years old being very beautiful, he acquainted his friends and judiciously shaped his course of education so as to promote his genius. Subsequently he had the good fortune to be taken under the patronage of W.Wyon, Esq., of the Royal Mint - and who is now rewarded by having fostered a genius which bids fair to have but few rivals. The subject which gained him first medal was the head of Melpomene, which was exhibited in the National Gallery last summer, and was deservedly admired.

On Monday week William Godfrey, was charged before Charles Davon, Esq., and Captain Carpenter, the sitting magistrates, with being drunk and assaulting the police in the execution of their duty. He was fined 10s, and 5s costs, and a week allowed him to pay the money, in default to be committed to the House of Correction for 14 days.

John Silvester, a servant of Mr.Dearle, tallow-chandler, of Staines, was also charged with being drunk and disorderly, and assaulting the police in the execution of their duty. The prisoner pleaded guilty, and expressed great sorrow and contrition for his offence. It appeared that on the Saturday evening previous Silvester had applied to the police station in a state of drunkeness to have the former prisoner Godfrey released upon bail, when he was requested to go home by the police serjeant, and he then went away; in about an hour he came again, and was exceedingly insolent, and he was again desired to go home or he would be taken into custody, which he refused to do and became very disorderly. He was then taken into custody, when he resisted violently, struck two of the constables, and it required very great exertion by three of the police to secure him. His master who was present pleaded hard for the magistrates to be lenient with him, as he had a wife and eight children, and when not under the influence of liquor was a very industrious quiet man. The serjeant also intimated to the magistrates that this was his first offence, and as he had promised so faithfully to conduct himself properly for the future there was no desire on the part of the police that he should be punished severely, and also that he had been in custody since Saturday evening. The magistrates then reprimanded him severely, informing him that he was very much indebted to his master and also to Serjeant Burton, to whom he ought to be grateful, for that had it not been for their recommendation he would most assuredly have been sent to the treadmill for one month. But as the law was not vindictive and the magistrates were always most willing to attend to any recommendation, they would inflict a nominal fine of 1s. Mr.Horne, the clerk, also giving up his claim for costs. The prisoner bowed his thanks and was then set at liberty.

On the following day an old offender named John Griffin was charged before Col.Wood, M.P., and R.Sullivan, Esq., with being drunk and begging in Staines. He was committed to one month to the House of Correction.

Two boys named Joseph Bartlett and John Town were committed to the House of Correction for one month for having in their possession a quartern loaf that they had stolen from Houslow the day previous. The eldest although only 15 years of age , acknowledged to having been two or three times in prison.

On Thursday last the bequest of G.Fournier, Esq., for twelve poor parishioners annually , was balloted for by the rate-payers of the parish of Staines, agreeable to public notice. It was found on assembling at the vestry-room, that it was not large enough to transact the business; the meeting was, therefore, adjourned to the Boy's school-room, which, soon after the time appointed, was thronged with voters eager to attend the ballot. The candidates for the bequest were fifty-five. The Rev.R.Govett, vicar, the Rev.F.Reyroux, curate, and the Churchwardens and Overseers carried out the business of the meeting, which passed off most satisfactorily.

Marlow, Saturday, January 1.

Wm.Butler from Booker, was committed to Aylesbury gaol on Wednesday, charged with stealing the top of an ash-tree from Hamer's-farm, in that parish.

On Saturday last Henry Brown, from Little Marlow, Well-end, was taken before the magistrates at Great Marlow, charged with stealing a sheep, the property of Mr.Wm.Wethered, of Pigeon-house-farm, Little Marlow. A track of his show was traced from the spot whence the sheep was taken, and part of a sheep, which he declared to be part of a porker, was also found in his house. The magistrates allowed him to be at liberty upon his own bail to appear before the bench this day.

The liberal example set by Sir W.R.Clayton, in his donations to the poor at this season of the year, has been very charitably followed by other kind-hearted gentry of this town, amongst whom W.J.Atkinson, Esq., is particularly distinguishable. Renn Hampden, Esq., also has extended his bounty to the necessitous of Great Marlow - without any reference, of course, to electioneering objects. Sprats are not bait sufficient for sharks in that vicinity.

A court leet was held at the Manor-house, Harleyford, on Wednesday last, when Mr.John Moss, engineer, was sworn in constable for this borough, in the stead of Steadman Camden, shoemaker, who had been appointed by the magistrates but a few days before; thus blighting the poor fellow's laurels before they had time to bud.