Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

17th December 1836

Italian Warehouse, No. 22, Thames Street, Windsor.

Respectfully acquaints the Inhabitants of Windsor, Eton, and the public generally, that he has taken the premises No.22, Thames-street, (late Grafton House), where he intends carrying on the business of a Candle Manufacturer and Oil and Colourman, with every article in the Italian Trade, and hopes by strict attention to Orders, and in supplying articles of a superior quality, at London Prices, to secure a share of their patronage. J.H.H takes this opportunity of returning his grateful thanks for the favours conferred on him since his commencement in the British Wine Trade, and to inform his numerous friends, that the business will in future be carried on at the above-named Premises. Orders received at Eton as usual.

Ram Commercial Inn, Uxbridge.

James Chapman, Late of the Bull Hotel, Gerrard's Cross. Most respectfully informs his Friends and the Public in general, that he has taken the above Inn, situated opposite the Market Place, where he trusts, by an unremitting attention in the comforts and convenience of his Friends, to receive a continuance of those favours so liberally bestowed upon himself and his predecessor, Mrs. Talkes, for many years past. N.B.- Choice Wines and Spirits, comfortable Sleeping Apartments, good Stall Stabling, &c,&c.

Windsor Royal Dispensary

A meeting of the subscribers to the Windsor Dispensary was held yesterday at the Town-hall, Edward Bovington, Esq., the Mayor , in the chair, when the report to the committee who were appointed to investigate the causes of the late disagreements between the medical officers was read and after some time little discussion adopted. It was the general opinion that those disagreements should not be again brought forward at this meeting after the resolutions to which the committee had some, and there appeared to be a very prevalent desire that as the committee had revised some of the late regulations (which were admitted to be defective) so as to prevent a repetition of similar misunderstandings, all that had passed should be buried in oblivion. A vote of thanks was passed to the committee for their conduct in the late investigation and the report and resolutions having been ordered to be printed, thanks were then voted to the Mayor for the use of the Town-hall, and for his conduct in presiding on this occasion. The Mayor in acknowledging the compliment which had been paid to him said - he should be happy at all times to grant the use of the Hall to any of the public institutions, but he hoped they would not have to meet on a similar occasion to the present. It was stated that Mr.Hammond had withdrawn his resignation.

The Late Fire In Thames Street

At the magistrates meeting in the Town Hall on Monday, the Mayor adverted to a paragraph in the Reading Mercury of the preceding Saturday, in which in answer to an enquiry if the money collected for those who assisted at the late calamitous fire in Thames-street had been distributed, the reply given, "we believe it has, but in what manner, or whether solely distributed to the police, we cannot say," and he wished to know if it had been so distributed. Mr.Gillman, the Inspector of Police, said not one of that body had received a farthing. It further appeared that about 27 had been subscribed, and a portion of that sum had been given to some of the persons who meritoriously exerted themselves on the melancholy occasion alluded to, leaving about 17, but as there were from 140 to 150 more claimant's the parties did not know how to apportion so small a sum among so many persons, especially as some from rendering greater service than others, should, if possible , be proportionably rewarded.


On Thursday last there was an abundance of sort at Hampton Court, both Parks being opened for coursing, and there was a good company, and several brace of greyhounds in each. In the Home Park there were some excellent dogs, and several trimming runs. Two matches were announced to come off in this Park, in which the lovers of coursing in this neighbourhood were much interested; one was a brindle dog (Lot) , the property of Mr. Legh of Windsor, against a black dog (Norval), belonging to Mr.Cain of Colnbrook, which was won cleverly by the latter:- the other was between the celebrated little bitch Flixer, belonging to Mr.Rangecroft, of Windsor, and a pied bitch, belonging to Mr.Wittington, of Clapham (the owner of the bitch Flixer beat a few weeks ago in the Home Park). This match was made five pounds a side, but it did not come off, as the pied bitch did not make her appearance, consequently the deposit money was forfeited to Mr.Rangecroft. The exceeding smallness of Flixer, and the notoriety she has gained by her performances, made her the object of great curiosity, and it was feared by many who had purposely attended to see her run that they would be disappointed. Mr.Rangecroft , however, having stated that he would run her against any thing in that Park for five pounds, but not for a less sum, the challenge was accepted by Mr.Elmore to run one of his dogs against her; umpires and a referee were chosen, and the dogs speedily put into the slips. Mr.Elmore had three brace of first rate greyhounds on the ground, and the one selected to run against Flixer was a remarkably fine young dog named Darby. The disparity in the size of the two dogs , when in the slips, was such to excite much observation, and the well known character of Mr.Elmore's dogs created a great feeling of interest in the match. Mr.Elmore, having made his own selection from his three brace of dogs, it must be admitted made the match as it were two to one against Flixer - and Mr.Elmore's dog was decidedly the favourite; still it will be seen the backers of the bitch were not mistaken in her, for she won her match very cleverly. The course was not severe, but very sharp, and the bitch laid to her hare beautifully. We understand that Mr.Rangecroft has received a challenge from Mr.Cain to run his dog (Norval) against Flixer, and that challenge is accepted. Flixer beat Norval last season very cleverly, - he is a fine and fast dog, and the forthcoming match between them will be anxiously looked for.

Fatal Accident

On the night of yesterday week, as a young man, whose name we have not heard, but who we believe is the son of a licensed victualler at Henley, was riding a horse along the towing-path at Old Windsor, that was drawing a barge, by some accident the horse fell in the water, and before assistance could be obtained the rider was drowned. The horse was gotton shore unhurt. The body of the unfortunate deceased has not yet been found, although it has during several days been dragged for.

A singular case has during this week occupied the attention of the Magistrates of Eton. A young man, about 26 years of age, rather respectably dressed, was stopped at Salthill, on Saturday, evidently in a deranged state of mind; he has been questioned as to his name and residence, but nothing to lead to any clue of either can be obtained from him; he however, frequently utters the name of "Julia," "Jane," and "Pangbourn." On his person were found half-a-crown in money and two books - the Landscape Annual 1820, and the Village Curate. The unfortunate man is at present under the charge of Mr. John Timber, a constable of Upton-cum-Chalvey.

Pigeon Shooting

On Tuesday the annual Pigeon Match took place at Slough, at which the shooting was very good. After the match a numerous party sat down to an excellent dinner, provided by Mrs.Luff, of the White Hart Inn, at which the utmost harmony and conviviality prevailed.

Windsor Police

On Monday Mr.Thorrington, a coal merchant, appeared to answer an information charging him with allowing a barge belonging to him to navigate the River Thames drawing a greater depth of water than 3 ft 10 inches which was the maximum allowed by the regulations of the city of London, which were sanctioned by Act of Parliament. Mr.C.S.Voules, the solicitor and clerk to the Commissioners of the Thames Navigation attended in support of the information which was laid in pursuance of instructions which he had received from the Corporation of London. He stated that the penalty attached to the offence was 20. Mr Voules called two persons of the names of Ball and Tull, who were the keepers of the two locks through which the defendants barge came, but although they believed the vessel had drawn more than 3 ft 10 inches on the day stated in the information they could not swear to the fact, because, as they admitted, they did not gauge her depth. The compliant was then dismissed, Mr.Voules admitting that he could not sustain it with such evidence. The information had been given before the Committee in London stated that the barge drew more than 3 ft 10 inches, but as the lock-keepers had not measured her depth their conduct would be laid before the committee. Mr. Thorringdon complained that the information was the result of a spite which some person had against him. Mr.Voules assured Mr.Thorringdon that he only acted upon instructions which he was obliged to comply with, and beyond those instructions he knew nothing of the case.

On Thursday a man named Notts was committed to hard labour for three months, for stealing some cabbages from the garden of Wm.Coles, of the White House, Datchet-lane.