Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

15th March 1834

On Tuesday morning last, at three o'clock, the house of Mr. G.Cartland, Eton, providentially escaped being burnt down. Mr. Cartland's little boy awoke in consequence of the smoke and flames coming close where he lay; but for the immediate assistance of the lodgers, and prompt and kind exertions of many of his neighbours, the fire was speedily got under.

On Wednesday morning last information was received in Windsor that the house of Mr. John Palmer, of the King's Arm's Inn, Stokenchurch had been broken into and robbed of a variety of articles, and that a man named Thomas Biggs of Wyrardisbury, (the same person who was lately tried and acquitted for stealing a sheep from Mr. Henry Adams, of Windsor,) was suspected of being implicated in the robbery. Search warrants were immediately obtained, and Simms, the Windsor gaoler, and White, constable of Eton, proceeded on Wednesday morning to Wyrardisbury and Horton, and there searched the house of Biggs, and also that of George Marsh, of Horton, as the two men were seen together with a horse and cart on the road to Horton the morning after the robbery. A large chimney looking glass and two pier glasses, a mahogany tea-caddy, and a great coat were found in the house of Marsh, and on the person of Biggs, a silver teaspoon, having the initials J.A.P. On Thursday the two prisoners were conveyed in custody of the above two constables, with the property, to Stokenchurch, and yesterday morning the case was entered into before John Fane, Esq, a magistrate for the county of Oxford, the property sworn to, and the prisoners fully committed to Oxford gaol to await their trial at the next assizes.

A man named Fisher was committed to Reading jail for three months hard labour, by the Borough Magistrates on Monday last, for having left his wife and children chargeable to the parish for five years. This is the second time Fisher has been imprisoned for deserting his family.