Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

14th July 1827

Elgin House, Egham.
Preparatory For Young Gentlemen.

Begs to announce to her Friends and the Public in general, that her School Recommences on Wednesday, the 18th instant, when she trusts the unremitting attention paid to those committed to her care, will ensure her that portion of favours she has so many years experienced. The most respectable references can be given.

Elgin House, Egham, July 12, 1827.

Windsor and Eton

The Borough Quarter Sessions commenced yesterday at our Town Hall, before John Voules, Esq. Mayor, John Clode, Esq. Justice, and Maurice Swabey, Esq., who sat for Sir G.Wilson, Recorder. The following trials were heard before the Court :-

Michael Butler was indicted for stealing, on the 12th of May, 30lbs of lead, value 2s, the property of her Royal Highness the Princess Augusta, at Frogmore.

[The bill was thrown out against Thomas Bartlett, who was committed for the same offence].

William Wise, in the service of the Princess Augusta, carpenter, stated that early in May he cut off some lead, the same now produced, from a copper, in the kitchen at Frogmore.

George Gray, gaoler, stated, that in consequence of information from Mr.Pierce, he went to the market place, and near Mr.P's house found a bag of lead. Prisoner came up, and on being asked by him to whom it belonged, said to him, and that he got it from Frogmore; this statement was made quite voluntary on the prisoner's part. Witness having suspicion that the lead was stolen, took the prisoner into custody.

Thomas Pierce stated, that about 9 in the morning of the 12th of May, prisoner sold him a pound of horse hair; and on his wishing him to purchase some phials, he referred him to the chemists, and he went away; witness on leaving his shop observed a bundle at the door; his man told him that the prisoner had asked him to let him leave it; he saw it was lead, and conceiving it to be dishonestly come by, on meeting Gray, told him of the circumstance.

John Dean, in the employ of Princess Augusta, early in May saw prisoner and Bartlett together in the carpenter's shop at Frogmore; prisoner asked him to sell some cow dung; saw him leave the shop with a bag and basket, but could not tell what was in them; Bartlett remained.

The prisoner being called on for his defence, denied having stolen the lead; Bartlett gave it to him upon condition that he was to get him some beer from the Hope Inn. The prisoner called the person with whom he lodged for a character, who spoke to his general honesty.

Mr.Swabey, in summing up, said, that if the jury thought Bartlett had used the prisoner as a tool for his own purposes they would acquit him; but if, on the contrary, they thought he was a party to the transaction, they would act accordingly. The jury found a verdict of Not Guilty.

Charles Jackson, aged about 17, was indicted for stealing a sack, the property of Messrs.Jennings, on the 1st of June. The evidence fully substantiated the charge against the prisoner, and he was found Guilty.

Mr.Swabey regretted that this was not the first appearance of the prisoner in a court of justice, as at the last sessions he had been convicted of a similar crime, and confined in gaol for a short period. By the recent act, which came into operation on the 1st of June, and which annihilated the distinction between grand and petty larceny, punishment for this offence was awarded, not exceeding two years imprisonment, and being publicly whipped; but it was the option of the Court, according to the nature of the offence, to give further punishment. He thought it would be an act of mercy to the prisoner, and justice to the public, to send him beyond the seas, in the hope, that by being estranged from his associates, and brought to a sound reflection, he would return to his home an honest man. The sentence of the Court was, that the prisoner be transported for seven years.

William Prescott and Robert Coombes, coach-makers, of Windsor, were indicted for stealing ten yards of black coach cording and a mallet, the property of Mr.Gough, coach-builder of this town.

Prescott stated to the court that Mr.Talfourd and Mr.Shepherd, whom he had employed as counsel, had signified late last night that they should be unable to attend; and in consequence he should wish to adjourn his trial. Mr.Fry, from the office of Mr.Harmer, Attorney, of London, on the part of Coombes, stated that he was ready to carry on the trial for his client. It was finally agreed that this gentleman should appear for both parties.

William Gough stated, that in consequence of missing some articles, he obtained a search warrant on the 2d of May, and was present when it was executed. He found the property now produced on the premises of the prisoners, and he could identify it as belonging to him.

Cross-examined by Mr.Fry. - Before the 2d of May had missed some patent leather and various other things; Coombes had been in his employ before this transaction; they had quarrelled several times. On one occasion, speaking to him about his work, he was very insolent, said he was independent of him, and could set for himself the next day if he chose; he has never given his apprentice liberty to use his materials in making articles for his private purposes or sale; he might make them for the use of the shop.

John Evans, apprentice to Mr.Gough, examined by Mr.Fry. - Has had liberty to make articles for the use of the shop; Coombes gave him 6d to make the mallet now produced; his master knew it.

Mr.Holderness, peace-officer, executed a search warrant on the 2d of May, on the prisoners premises; Mr.Gough identified the articles now in court as his property; they were in the work shop with other things in use; saw Mr.Coombes, who had no objection to the search.

Mr.Fry stated that the witnesses who were to have appeared for the characters of the prisoners, not being in court, he hoped the jury would take into their consideration the knowledge they might posses of them.

Mr.Swabey said it was necessary to state to the jury, that the prisoners, who, he believed, had both worked for the prosecutor, were partners in the same trade as Mr.Gough; and it was easy to see the motives which caused the present trial, of so little consequence in itself; it would be a question for the jury to determine whether the prisoners had taken the cording (for the mallet was now out of the case) with felonious intent; or whether they had thought, that whilst in service they could take away a trifling article, which, though not a felonious act, was a morally culpable act.

The jury immediately acquitted the prisoners.

James Manley was indicted for receiving on the 8th if June, 3lbs of lead of Thomas Watts, knowing the same to have been stolen. There was another indictment against the prisoner for the same offence.

Thomas Watts, twelve years of age, works at the Castle; found some lead amongst some rubbish at the Castle; took it to Manley, who gave him three half-pence for it; there were four pounds, at three farthings a lb.; does not know whether he received a fair price for it; the pieces of lead produced are the same; went with an officer and found the lead in a tub, with a quantity more.

Thomas Jenkins said he could not swear that the property belonged to his Majesty.

Mr.Fry, for the prisoner, said there was nothing substantiated against his client; first, the lead was stated in the indictment to be the property of his Majesty; and it also stated the lead to weigh 3lbs, which was not the case, as altogether it weighted 4lbs, and neither of the pieces were of the weight alleged.

Mr.Swabey said, that on account of these legal objections, the charge of knowing the lead to have been stolen not having been proved, the jury must acquit the prisoner.

The prisoner was also acquitted upon two other indictments of a similar tendency.

In the case of 'Dowsett against Bailey,' for an assault, Mr.W.J.Voules moved that the trial might be traversed to the next sessions, the alleged assault having been committed within twenty days. The court granted the request; and the defendant was held on bail, himself in 80, and two sureties in 40 each.

John Hazel for the assault on James Barnes, the particulars of which we have recently given, was found guilty, and sentenced to fourteen days imprisonment in the Borough gaol.

We have a painful duty this week in relating a melancholy event that occurred in this town, the fatal consequences of which have excited the deepest feelings of sympathy in every bosom. A youth, aged nine years, of the name of Leopold Yeeling Wright, son of a respectable grocer, in Oxford-street, London, who had been on a visit to the family of Mr.Adams, butcher, on Monday last, accompanied by Mr.Thomas Adams, was riding a pony in the Long Walk, when the animal took fright at the soldiers exercising , and the unfortunate rider losing his seat, was dragged a considerable distance, the foot hanging from the stirrup leather. The progress of the youth was stayed by the girth of the saddle giving way , and he fell to the ground. A person was immediately on the spot, who attended him in a very humane manner, and medical assistance having been procured, he was conveyed to Mr.T.Adam's, the grocer. The face and head of the poor lad were so dreadfully disfigured, that hardly a feature was discernible. He was totally insensible, and fortunately for his sufferings remained in that state till his death, which took place at ten o'clock the same evening. Mr.O'Reilly was the principal attendant on the deceased, assisted by nearly all the faculty of Windsor and Eton; but such was the extent of the injuries that in this instance skill was of little avail. This lamentable disaster has involved the family of the deceased in an affliction, which we will leave every parent to imagine. The father, who was sent for immediately after the accident, arrived the following morning. It is needless to describe the agony which has prevailed in the family in whose house the deceased had been an inmate. They have suffered to an intense degree, those feelings which so deplorable a calamity was calculated to inspire. On Tuesday, an inquest was held on the body, at the Town Hall before John Voules, Esq. Mayor and Coroner of this borough, when the following evidence was adduced:-

Joseph Parsons, on the service of Mr.Burtt[?], between nine and ten on Monday was going to the Royal Lodge in a cart; saw a pony rather restive, rode by a lad; Mr.Thomas Adams was there holding the bridle, and endeavoured to urge the pony forward, as it constantly receded; it afterwards appeared to be quiet, and he drove on, but slackened his pace to notice the soldiers; the pony was on the turf as he passed it; witness smacked his whip for his horse to quicken his step, but he did not know whether he struck the pony or whether the wheel of the cart touched it, as the pony had, unobserved by him, got into the road behind him; on looking round he saw the pony galloping across the grass sward under the trees, and the boy slipping off the saddle to the ground, and dragged a distance of 30 or 40 yards, his foot having been caught in the stirrup leather; he lost sight of him and cannot say how far he proceeded. The soldiers were exercising in the walk, and the pony might have been frightened at their appearance.

Thomas Johnson, in the employ of Mr.Hollis, bricklayer, heard a cry of 'murder' proceeding from the Long Walk, whilst in Mr.Adams's slaughter house; ran to the spot and found the boy by the saddle stretched on the ground, about 10 yards from the pony, which had pressed itself between the gate and paling leading to Mr.Adam's field; the girth of the saddle had broken, and the saddle slipped off. He took the boy up and laid him on the grass; he was bleeding most profusely from the face and head, which were dreadfully bruised; the body did not appear to be much hurt; sent immediately for assistance; witness thought the boy was dead, till he unbuttoned his shirt collar, when he breathed faintly; he waited till Dr.Fergusson arrived, and afterwards assisted in carrying him to the house of Mr.Thomas Adams.

J.O'Reilly, Esq., said that he had no doubt the injuries the deceased had received on the brain were the immediate cause of his death. Verdict - Accidental Death, and a deodand of 5s on the pony.

The remains of the unfortunate youth were followed to the grave yesterday morning.

On Monday last the Rev.Mr.Grover, rector of Farnham Royal, entertained the boys and girls of the Free School in a very handsome manner, providing an excellent dinner for them, and distributing presents to the most deserving. They afterwards amused themselves in various exercises. The good discipline of the whole School amounting to 66, does great credit to Mr and Mrs.Chappel, the school master and mistress.

On the 6th instant, an inquest was held before H.Woods, Esq., coroner for Surrey, at Bagshot, on the body of a stranger. The deceased who was a groom in the establishment of a gentleman of the name of Greathead, had arrived at the White Hart Inn in the evening before, with a pair of carriage horses, and, complaining of being very much fatigued, had retired to bed early. The next morning he was discovered by the servants of the inn a lifeless corpse. Verdict, "Died by the visitation of God."

The Midsummer Sessions were held at Abingdon, on Tuesday last, when the following prisoners were put upon their trials :-

George Ball and William Cook, charged with stealing a quantity of lead, the property of T.T.Valence, gent., at East Challow, in the parish of Letcomb Regis, on the 8th of May last.- Six weeks hard labour each.

Mary Bladon, charged with stealing a blanket, the property of Francis Pigott, of Faringdon, of the 21st of May.- One month's hard labour.

Francis Breech charged with stealing hay. - No bill.

James Cannon, charged with stealing a sovereign, a pocket handkerchief, and other articles, the property of Susan Bond, of Sunninghill. - Not Guilty.

William Davis, charged with stealing a quantity of woollen tilting, the property of Thomas Bailey, at Wantage, on the 4th of May. - Six months hard labour.

Martha Day, charged with stealing (or receiving , knowing it to be stolen) a silver spoon, at Wantage, the property of Mary Gearing, on the 27th of April. - Not Guilty.

Abraham Elliott, charged with stealing a quart copper cup, the property of Moses Pike, at Great Faringdon, on the 18th of May last. - Two months hard labour at Abingdon.

Elizabeth Hedges, charged with stealing a quantity of soap, the property of Charles and John Gillet, at Shilton. - Discharged.

William Ilott , charged with stealing six sheep skins, the property of John Partridge, of Longworth, on the 23d of April. - Seven years transportation.

Charles Johnson, charged with stealing a silk handkerchief from the pocket of a gentleman unknown, on the race-course at Ascot Heath. - Three months hard labour.

Thomas Johnson, charged with stealing an iron gate, at Wokingham, the property of R.Crabtree, Esq. - Six months hard labour.

George Johnson and George Tucker, charged with stealing a goose, the property of Henry Hiscock, at Burghfield, on the 5th of June. - Three months hard labour each , and to be privately whipped.

Richard Loder, charged with stealing an iron pair of vice, and an iron bar, the property of John Lord, of Faringdon, auctioneer. - Three months hard labour.

Isaac Millard, charged with stealing a quantity of building materials, the property of Charles Bull, of Newbury. - One months hard labour.

Mary Mulford, charged with stealing about a pound weight of bacon, the property of John Rolfe, of Newbury, on the 28th of April. - One months hard labour.

Jane Rowles and Mary Thorn, charged with feloniously stealing a lace cap, from the house of John Nixey, at Warfield, in the month of May last. - Jane Rowles was sentenced to four days solitary confinement, and Mary Thorn was discharged.

John Smith charged with stealing one umbrella, the property of Andrew Webster, at Newbury, of the 26th of May last. - Seven years transportation.

James Wells, charged with stealing a quantity of flour, the property of Wm.Stone, Esq., at Sulhampstead Bannister. - Twelve months hard labour.


The Bucks Midsummer Sessions commenced on Tuesday, and the whole of the business was disposed of by six o'clock on Wednesday evening. Sir Edmund Carrington took the chair in the inner Court; and Sir Thomas Freman was the Chairman in the other. The following appeal and trial are of local interest :-

Iver, Appellants, County of Bucks, Respondents.

This appeal complained of the inequality in the county rate, and now came before the Court by Mandamus from the Court of King's Bench, the Magistrates having decided at the last sessions, that they had no jurisdiction in the case. - Mr.George Trumper, land surveyor, proved the value of the land in the parish of Iver, and that it was over-rated with respect to the parish of Langley Marish. The former was assessed in the county rate at 12,211, and the later at 4,243. The parish of Iver contained 6,269 acres of land, which were worth 8,537, or 1 7s 7 1/2d per acre. The buildings were worth 3,953, making together 11,492. There were in Langley 3,894 acres, worth 6,519 or 1 18s 6d per acre. The buildings were worth 2,391 making a total of 8,910. From these data if Langley were correctly rated at 4,243, Iver ought to be only 6,246. The witness was asked by the Court what Langley ought to be rated if Iver were correctly rated at 12,211. The answer given was 9,402. There was no land in Iver so good by one-fourth as that in Langley. The Court decided, after some deliberation, that a new rate was not called for, and that it did not think it was justified in lowering the rate of Iver, but the Langley ought to be raised in the assessment to 9.402 - Rate ordered to be amended accordingly.

John Lacey was indicted for stealing a quantity of leather by means of certain forged and fraudulent letters, from Messrs.Capron and Finley, of Bishopsgate-street, London. The prosecutors are wholesale leather dealers, and had for many years supplied a Mr.Benjamin Backhouse, a bookbinder and stationer, at Wells, with leather. The prisoner left the employ of Mr.Backhouse in January last, and after that wrote two letters to Messrs.Capron and Finley, dated from "Dr.Pulisford's, Hawdown House, near Bath," and signed "B.Backhouse," desiring the prosecutors to send a variety of Morocco, Russia, and calf skins to the above address, where the writer said he was employed on an extensive job. Both these orders were duly executed, but the prosecutors received a third letter, signed in the same way, and sated May 15th, 1827, which excited some suspicion, and they determined to put up only part of the order and to give directions to have the party applying for it taken into custody. Accordingly twenty-four calf skins, worth 5 were packed up and sent to Bath as directed, whence it arrived on the 26th of May. On that day a letter in the same handwriting as that in which the orders were given, was received by the bookkeeper at the inn, directing the parcel to be sent up again to Slough, to be left till called for. The skins were forwarded to the White Hart, at Slough, and information was given to the prosecutors. The prisoner called for the parcel on the 31st. It was delivered to him, and he paid the carriage on it, but was immediately taken into custody by a constable who was in waiting - Mr.Backhouse deposed, that all the letters were in the handwriting of the prisoner, and that he never received any of the goods nor gave any authority to order them. He knew no such person as Dr.Pulisford. The prisoner had nothing to say in his defence, nor any witnesses to call. He was immediately found Guilty, and sentenced to Seven years transportation.