Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

14th January 1837

Great Western Railway

- On Tuesday a County Jury sat at the Castle Inn, Windsor, before R.W.Crowdy, Esq., Under Sheriff, to assess the value of certain land in the occupation of Messrs. Thomas and William Louch, who are market gardeners at Bray Wick, near Maidenhead, which was required by the Great Western Railway Company, under the Company's Act; and also to assess the amount of damages to which the claimants Messrs. Louch, were entitled for the loss they would sustain by the railroad coming through their land. The jury were empanelled the previous day, when they viewed the ground in question. Mr. Clarkson attended for the claimants, and the Hon.Mr. Talbot for the Company. The demand made by the claimants was 1,750, and the amount offered by the Company was only 250. The portion of ground required by the company was one acre, three roods, nineteen perches, and was part of an orchard which the claimants held on a lease from Parson Grenfell., Esq, for a term of twenty one years, at which eleven years were unexpired at Michaelmas last. Mr. Clarkson, after stating the vast injury which would be inflicted on his clients by taking away a portion of their land, which from it being an orchard, was so profitable to them, called witnesses to prove the value of the property, and from the great superiority of the fruit trees - samples of very fine apples being produced in Court - and the great damage which their destruction would cause, all of which they valued at 1,750. Mr.Talbot addressed the jury in a very able speech on behalf of the company, but called no witnesses. The jury retired, and deliberated for an hour and a half, and then returned a verdict for the claimants for 815 16s., and directed that an abatement of 15 per annum should be made from their rent during the residue of their term.

Lectures in French History

- On Thursday evening Mr.Tarver delivered his second lecture on French History, commencing with the reign of Charlemagne, which was as interesting as the preceding one. From the unfavourable state of the weather, the audience was not so large as on the previous occasion , but it consisted of some of the most respectable inhabitants of this town and neighbourhood.

Accident - Caution.

- Shortly before twelve o'clock this day a horse, which, with the cart (belonging to Mr.Moss, of Great Marlow), had been left for a moment unattended in the Market-place, took fright, and started off furiously along High-street; on arriving opposite the Vicarage-house, the cart went with such violence against a ladder placed against the house, that it swung the horse round, when a female, who is servant to Capt.Strange, of the Castle Yard, was knocked down; the unfortunate woman was immediately taken up and carried into the shop of Mr. Sidney Smith, where it was found she had received a fracture of one rib, and severe injuries about her head, &c. Every attention was paid to her there, and she was afterwards conveyed home. The horse, from the concussion against the ladder, got disentangled from the cart, which was broken to pieces, and pursued his career along the High-street, down Sheet-street, and to Batchelors Acre, where he was fortunately stopped without doing further injury.

On Monday night , or Tuesday morning last, two ewes in lamb, belonging to Mr. Aldridge, of Cippenham-court farm, were worried by a dog in such a manner that it was rendered necessary to kill them; three others were also injured. We hope the publication of this circumstance will act as a caution to the owners of dogs of the description likely to worry sheep, to prevent them from running at large, to the serious injury to farmers and others.

Windsor Epiphany Sessions

On Monday the Quarter Sessions for the borough of New Windsor took place at the Town-hall before the Hon. John.C.Talbot, Recorder. The Learned Recorder in his address to the Grand Jury observed that it gave him very great pleasure in his third appearance in the situation which he had the honour to fill, to be able to congratulate them on the great decrease of crime in the borough. On the former occasions there had been eight or nine persons on the calendar, whereas on the present occasion there were but five prisoners, and in fact but four cases, and these too of a very trivial description. He was happy to be able to describe this diminution to the punctual discharge of their duties by the magistrates, and by the attention which the police paid to good order of the town; another and more important cause was the good example set by those he was then addressing and persons in a similar station of life, to those who were beneath them of obedience to the laws, and of practising industrious habits. The cases in the calendar were of the simplest character, and the gentlemen he was addressing were two familiar with their duties to require him to make any remarks upon them. He begged they would retire to their room and let the Court have a bill as soon as possible.
In the interval that elapsed before the Grand Jury returned with a bill, the Mayor and Messrs. Blunt, Berridge, Thomas Adams, Sharman and Phillips, Town Councillors took the oaths of allegiance and supremacy.

Thomas Bradshaw, aged 30, was indicted for stealing a great coat, the property of Henry Osborn, on the 31st October. He pleaded Guilty. The Recorder observed that he hoped by the prisoner pleading guilty it was a sign of contrition on his part for having committed the offence and he (the Recorder) was happy to hear from the Magistrates that as far as they could tell it was the prisoners first offence. Taking therefore those facts into consideration and knowing that the prisoner had already been in prison two months, the sentence of the Court was that he be further imprisoned in the Borough Gaol one week.
Prisoner: Thank you, Sir.

Thomas Price, aged 18, was indicted for stealing three pecks of coals the property of Messrs. Thomas and Henry George, his employers. A man named John Chuck had been charged with receiving the coals, knowing them to have been stolen, but as against him the Grand Jury threw out the bill.
It appeared that the prisoner and Chuck were both in the employ of Messrs. George. On the 2nd November the prisoner was sent with a cart laden with coals to the Rev. Mr.Allen, in Peascod-street, and that Mr.Thos. George, who was accidentally passing saw him stop at the end of Russell's Court, fill a basket of coals from the cart and take them up that Court, where Chuck lived; in a few minutes he returned with the basket empty and Mr.George gave him into custody, where he confessed to Dobson, the policeman, that he had taken the coals "to old Chuck". The Jury found the prisoner Guilty, and Mr.George strongly recommended him to mercy, stating that it was the first occasion that he ever had any reason to suspect him. The Recorder told the prisoner that although the amount of property stolen was very small the offence was a very serious one, because it was that of robbing the persons from whom he had for years received employ.The sentence of the Court was that he be imprisoned in Reading gaol and kept to hard labour for three months, a punishment which, but for the recommendation of Mr.George, would have been more severe.

William Bennett, aged 22, was indicted for stealing two books, a gradus, and a prayer book, the property of James Morton. He pleaded Guilty. The Recorder said, in looking through the depositions he found the prisoner had used so much of artifice in committing this offence that he was of the opinion that this was not the first time he had committed a felony. The sentence of the Court was, that he be sent to hard labour in Reading gaol for 6 months.

Samuel Herbert, aged 19, was indicted for obtaining from William Howard Gillman, Superintendent of the Windsor Police, a half crown, by means of false pretences, the property of Rich. Sharman and others. He pleaded guilty.
The prisoner had obtained the half crown by representing that he was one of the persons who assisted at the fire of Mr.Ford's premises in Thames-street, whereas he was at the period of that calamity confined to Reading gaol for some offence. The Recorder sentenced the prisoner to six months hard labour, in his old quarters at Reading.
Prisoner: Thank you, Sir. (in an under tone). - I thought I should have had seven years of it.

A true bill was found against Elizabeth Seagrove for passing a counterfeit half sovereign to Mr.Pursey, a licensed victualler in Park-street, but she had been bailed out before the final committal by the magistrates and had absconded. Mr.Powell, the solicitor to the Mint attended, but the accused was non est invenius. The Court then, having got through all the cases, adjourned.

Bucks Epiphany Sessions

On Tuesday week these Sessions commenced at Aylesbury before Mr. T.D.Aubrey, Bart, Chairman, and a Bench of Magistrates. The Hon.Chairman, in his address to the Grand Jury, lamented the heavy state of the calendar, which contained about sixty prisoners for trial. Copeland, Appellant , The Rev.T.Carter, Respondant.- This was an appeal against a conviction by the Rev. Mr. Carter, at Eton, under the Game Certificate Act, 52nd George the Third, cap 92. Mr Sidney Taylor appeared for the appellant, and Mr.Maltby for the respondent. Mr.Taylor took various objections to the form of the conviction, but after some discussion the Chairman ordered the case to proceed, without at present giving any opinion on those objections.
The Court, after hearing the evidence , allowed the appeal.

George Brown was indicted for stealing four rabbits, three canary birds, three tame fancy pigeons, and one turtle dove, the property of John Cundee,Esq., of Beaconsfield.
It appeared that the rabbits and birds were stolen from the outhouse of the prosecutor during the night of Sunday the 26th, or morning of Monday, the 27th November. Suspicion arose against the prisoner, from having been seen going towards the prosecutors premises on the night of the 26th, and on the following day he has apprehended, when his shoes were taken off, and they were found to correspond with the foot marks about the rabbit house. On searching the premises of his father,where he lived, three of the rabbits belonging to the prosecutor were found in the cow-house.The prisoners father deposed that on the night of the robbery his son did not sleep at home. The jury found the prisoner Guilty, and he was sentenced to seven years transportation.

William Heading was indicted for stealing 2s 6d, the property of Charles Russell, of Great Marlow. The prosecutor, it appeared, was about paying for some beer that he had had in the Jolly Maltsters public-house, when the prisoner matched the money from his hand and ran out. He was found Guilty, and sentenced to three months hard labour , two weeks solitary confinement.

Henry Courtney and Josiah West, were indicted for stealing 112lbs of lead, the property of James Chilton, of Wooburn. The lead in question was stolen from the prosecutors door,on the 20th November, and from subsequent information a person was dispatched, after Budd's waggon, in which were Courtney and the lead in question. West was also apprehended, and evidence of conclusive character was brought forward against both prisoners. They were found Guilty, when West was sentenced to be transported for seven years, Courtney was then tried upon another indictment, charging him with stealing a leaden weight, the property of John Russell, of Wooburn, found Guilty, and sentenced to be kept one week in solitary confinement, and afterwards to be transported for seven years.

Joseph New was indicted for stealing a music horn, the property of Robert Oldfield, of High Wycombe. He was found Guilty, and sentenced to three months hard labour,

Dennis Brown was convicted of stealing a canvas bag, the property of John Moore, at Amersham, on the 5th of Nov., and sentenced to one months hard labour.

William Moss, Charles Church, and Thomas Moss, were indicted for stealing two sheep, the property of Joseph Littleboy, a farmer, at Fulmar, on the 19th of October. Elizabeth Moss was indicted for receiving the same, knowing them to have been stolen. Thomas Moss was admitted a witness for the Crown.
The Jury acquitted the prisoners.

The following prisoners , who were found guilty, were sentenced to various punishments:-

Stephen Leverett, for stealing a pig, the property of James Peedle, of Great Marlow - twelve months hard labour.

Daniel Warren, for stealing so far back as the 30th Nov. 1829, some mutton, the property of Mr. Peel[?], of Cucknow, Northamptonshire - three months hard labour.

William Allen, for stealing two trusses of hay, the property of Joseph Darvill, of Great Missenden - six weeks hard labour.

James Jarvis, for stealing a pair of trousers, a pair of shoes, and a smock-frock, the property of William Shoulder, of Loughton - two months hard labour, the last week in solitary confinement, and to be once privately whipped.

William Jennings, for stealing a pair of shoes, the property of William Martin, of Stony Stratford (second conviction) - fourteen years transportation.

Arthur Crewe, Henry Green, Richard White, Samuel Edwards, Thomas Harris, and Richard Green, for stealing a quantity of faggots from a woodpile in the plantation of Sir George Nugent - fourteen days hard labour.

William Neale, for stealing ten fowls, the property of Mr.Clark, of Broughton - three months hard labour.

Richard Filby, John Allen, and Edward Mooney , for stealing a leaden pump , the property of Thomas Fell, at Aylesbury- Allen, three months, Mooney four months hard labour, and Filby seven years transportation.

Zaccheus Southam, for stealing two loaves of bread at North Marston - one months hard labour.

Richard Gunn, for stealing some timber, the property of Edward Mold, at Luggershall - seven years transportation.

Thomas Higgins was convicted of two offences, the first for stealing fifteen fowls, the property of Thomas Tomes, of Stewkley; and secondly for stealing a plane, the property of Mr.Biggs - six months imprisonment for the first offence, and one month for the second.

John Clarke, for stealing six faggots, the property of the Duke of Bedford at Wavenden - six months hard labour, two week solitary confinement.

Charles Taylor, for stealing a turkey and a hen, the property of William Harman[?] , of Bradenham - fourteen years transportation.

John Hawkins for stealing a quantity of ribbon, the property of William Sutton, of Brill - three months hard labour.

Job Harman, for stealing a quantity of poultry, the property of Mr.Pearcy , of Hambledon - one months hard labour, and to be privately whipped.

George Dixon, John Dixon, and John Cook, were convicted of stealing one sheep, the property of Thomas Giles, of Little Missenden - fourteen years transportation.

John Harman, for stealing several fowls, the property of T.R.Barker, Esq., near Hambledon - three months hard labour.

Samuel Sparrow and William Warren, for stealing two quartern loaves, the property of Thomas Isham, of Stoke Goldington - six weeks hard labour.

Jane Draw [?] , for stealing a sheep skin, the property of Benjamin Pigott - fourteen days hard labour.

Charles Lammas, for stealing a copper boiler lid, the property of Mr.White, of the Red Cow, Aylesbury - one months hard labour.

Thomas Chilton, for stealing a piece of oak timber, the property of Lord Carrington - fourteen days hard labour.