Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

13th May 1837

Amongst the successful competitors for prizes at the last annual examination of students at the London University, we are glad to observe the name of J.E.D.G.Rogers, of Windsor, who obtained, for his proficiency in Chemistry, the second certificate and the first silver medal.

Last night, or early this morning, a sheep was stolen from a field belonging to Messrs. Jennings, of Upton Court farm. A reward of ten guineas has been offered for the apprehension of the thieves.

From the statement of Messrs. Webb and Lee, of Burnham (in this Paper), respecting their connexion with Mr. George Martin, late one of the collectors of the Eton Union, it is evident there is no foundation for the reports that have been spread to their prejudice.

The shepherd and cowman Mr. Curtis, of Low Grounds Farm, near Great Marlow, having shot a rook which lodged in a tree in Harleyford-park, last Thursday, in climbing up to reach it, unfortunately fell from the tree and broke his neck.

Two men named James Dawes and William Ashley were this day taken before Edmund Foster, Esq, the county magistrate, by Sims, the gaoler of Windsor and Underwood, the Sunninghill constable, on a charge of attempting to commit a burglary in the cottage of a poor widow named Dennis, at Cheapside, Sunninghill. It appeared that about twelve o'clock yesterday a young man named Cripps, who was in his fathers garden, next to Mrs. Dennis's cottage, saw the prisoner Dawes get into her window. In a very few minutes he went and called out to Dawes, who, finding he was detected, unfastened the door and ran out, but was caught by Cripps; but at that moment the other prisoner, Ashley, who had been waiting outside, rescued Dawes, and they both ran off. Cripps obtained the assistance of Mr. Crutchley's coachman, and was fortunate enough to retake Dawes. The other prisoner was afterwards apprehended. Nothing has been stolen from the house, but a handkerchief was spread out in the room for the purpose of packing up any thing. The prisoners were remanded until Monday for the attendance of Mrs. Dennis.

Windsor Police - Thursday

This day Caroline Carter was brought before Wm. Legh, Esq, and Sir John Chapman, charged with stealing a handkerchief , under the following circumstances.
On that morning three little children of the name also of Carter, were by themselves in the Long Walk, when the prisoner went up to them and asked if they would not like to have some cakes and apples. Of course the children were pleased at the offer; and the prisoner then said she must have a handkerchief which was on the shoulders of one of them to put the articles in, and it was readily parted with, upon which the prisoner walked off with it. A young woman who witnessed the transaction went up to the children, and on learning by what pretence the prisoner obtained the handkerchief, gave information to policeman No. 8 , who followed and overtook the prisoner in High-street, with the handkerchief in her possession. Which was recognised by Mrs. Carter, the mother of the children.
The Magistrates did not know whether a case of felony could be clearly established, as there was a bare possibility, though it was not very probable, that the prisoner might have brought back the cakes and apples which she had promised the children had she not been taken into custody when she was. They however remanded her until Monday.

John Layton was charged with absconding from the workhouse, and leaving his wife and five children chargeable to the Windsor Union. It appeared from the evidence against the accused that on the 2nd of April he absconded from the workhouse,having previously applied for leave of absence for two or three days to seek for work, and refused, as by the regulations a pauper is only allowed to be absent for that purpose one day at a time. A few days ago he returned to the workhouse, stating that he wished to be again admitted, and that he had been into Staffordshire to endeavour to get work, so that he might support his wife and family, but that he had been unable to do so. The Master of the Workhouse refused to receive him, telling him there was a warrant out for his apprehension, and he went away from there to Mr. Bailey, the Relieving Officer. He was subsequently taken by a policeman, under the authority of the warrant. The defendant declared that he had done all he could to get work at his trade (a carpenter) in Staffordshire, but all the time he had been absent he had only had ten days work, and finding he could not succeed in getting the means of sending for his wife and family (which he was exceedingly anxious to do), he returned to the workhouse as stated. He assured the Magistrates that his sole object in absconding was, not to desert his family, but to get employ, and then to send for them. The Magistrates asked how it was that he was unable to obtain work at such a trade as that of a carpenter. He stated that having lost his left thumb it was a great impediment to him, especially in using the chisel. When he was refused admittance to the workhouse, he went to Mr. Bailey, the Relieving Officer, who gave him three quarters of a day's work. The Magistrates taking all the circumstances into consideration, thought that although the man had absconded, it really appeared to them, especially from his returning again, and stating where he had been, and what endeavours he had made to get work, so that he might send for his family, it would be much better that an application should be made to the Guardians to take him into the workhouse again, instead of sending him to prison. They therefore requested that he be kept in the workhouse until next Tuesday, when the Guardians meet.