Search billions of records on

The Windsor and Eton Express.
Bucks Chronicle and Reading Journal

EMail Me - Titles and Dates - Surname Home Page

Some Selected Reports from The Windsor and Eton Express

10th September 1842

The New Royal Gardens at Frogmore

The new royal gardens for the cultivation of fruits, vegetables, &c., for the royal table , are fast advancing towards completion. The ground consists of twenty acres within the walls (twenty-two acres and three quarters in the whole of the outer boundary), and is of a rich sandy loam, and is exceedingly well adapted for horticultural purposes, both as to situation, and the quality of the soil. The outer or boundary walls which are twelve feet high are already finished. The gardens are entered by a neat lodge gate. The residence of Mr.Ingram, her Majesty's head gardener, will, when finished, be a handsome and appropriate structure. It is now in the "shell," and is partly roofed in. A carriage road will be formed from the entrance past Mr.Ingram's house, by which her Majesty and Prince Albert and the royal suite may drive and pass out at another gate at the extreme end of the gardens, either into the Great Park, or to the residence of her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent. There will be one continuous flower bed from one end of the garden to the other, on the left hand side of the royal drive through the gardens to the park. On either side of Mr.Ingram's house there is in progress of erection an extensive vinery, one hundred feet in length; the metal for these two erections has already arrived, and they will very speedily be finished. The ground at the back of Mr.Ingram's house and the two vineries is to be appropriated to stabling and cart-houses (which are also nearly completed), forcing pits, &c., &c. Round the whole of the outer or boundary wall it is intended to form a cart-road for carts to pass to and from the several entrances to the gardens, of which there are eight. The ground as laid out will form five gardens, the largest of which in the centre will be eight acres in extent, and the whole of it is intended to trench to the depth of two feet and a half before anything is planted or sowed in it, so that it can be "cropped" next season, and the utmost activity is consequently now shown by the various persons employed - about 300, including gardeners and other workmen - under the able and judicious directions of Mr.Ingram, to complete the whole of the works.

The Windsor Gaol

The gaol in George-street, which has long required it, is now undergoing a complete cleansing and repairing, and some alterations are also being made. The board linings of the cells have been entirely removed, and the cells throughout cleansed, whitewashed and painted. The "cage" just inside the gaol has been removed, and its space occupied for another purpose. The brick-work and paving are being repaired, and the yard will be newly gravelled. The principal part of these works have already been completed, and the whole will be finished in a short time for the reception of the prisoners, who, during the repairs of the gaol, are confined in the old workhouse in Sheet-street, which has been temporarily fitted up for that purpose. In consequence of its having been determined by the county magistrates to pull down the present House of Correction at Reading and erect a new one on its site, it was found necessary to provide some other places for the reception of prisoners in custody there, and it was determined, as far as possible, to distribute the prisoners among the gaols in the different towns in the county. There were six prisoners in the House of Correction who had been committed thither from Windsor, viz., 4 males and 2 females, and it was arranged that they should be transferred to the gaol of this town, accordingly Simms, the gaoler, assisted by Dobson and Gibbons, two of the Windsor police, proceeded on Thursday week to Reading and brought back those prisoners to this town, placing them in our temporary gaol, (the old workhouse), where they now remain to undergo the remainder of their respective terms of imprisonment.

The Storm of Wednesday Night

This unusual and alarming storm it appears was not confined to this locality, but was very general for many miles round, and was severely felt in the metropolis. We have not heard of any serious damage to property or life being done by the thunder and lightning, although it was unusually severe for this period of the year. The intensity of the lightning during the storm and the excessive darkness after each flash caused considerable inconvenience to persons who happened to be travelling at the time; we however, have not heard of more than one or two accidents occurring.


During the severe storm on Wednesday night, as Mr.G.Chapman, surgeon, was driving through Eton, he was suddenly met near Barn's-pool-bridge by one of the railway omnibuses, which being on the wrong side of the road, and as neither Mr.Chapman or the omnibus driver could pull up in time to prevent a concussion, the consequence was that Mr.Chapman's horse (his favourite skewball) was seriously injured by the step on the splinter-bar (or roller bolt) of the omnibus running into the lower part of his chest, and inflicting a severe wound some inches deep. The point of the shaft was also broken, but fortunately Mr.Chapman and his servant escaped unhurt.

On Monday, as one of the flys belonging to the White Hart Hotel, in which were a lady and gentleman was being driven along High-street, when nearly opposite the shop of Messrs. Berridge and Son, ironmongers, the axletree broke, and the body of the vehicle dropping on the haunches of the horse, it commenced kicking and struggling until it came to the corner of Sheet-street, when the vehicle capsized onto the pavement, near Mr.Robert's. The driver until then retained his seat, and fortunately neither he, nor the lady or gentleman inside, was injured by the upset. The horse was a great deal cut about the legs by his struggling , and his efforts to disengage himself.

Theatre Royal

The last three nights of the season, viz., on Saturday last, when the performances were patronised by the officers of the 15th Regiment, on Monday, the manager's benefit, and on Tuesday, for the benefit of Mr.Cook, the box money taker, the theatre has been well attended, particularly that of Tuesday night, which was a very fashionable house, including several military officers in full uniform. The selection of pieces, &c., for these evenings amusements have been judicious, and although we cannot speak in terms of praise of their performances by the whole of the dramatic corps some of them justly merited the applause they received from the audiences, among these we may mention the names of Miss Mitchell in particular, for her varied performances in the interlude of "Love and Charity;" her personation of a charity girl was a clever piece of acting, and on each night elicited the most rapturous applause; the dancing of Miss Farebrother, and the comic singing of Mr.Mulford, well merited the great applause with which each was received. Military bands attended on each of these three nights, and added much to the evenings amusements by their delightful performances. On Saturday the band of the 15th were present, on Monday and Tuesday that of the 2nd Life Guards attended, and on the latter night were in full dress, and their presence in the well-filled pit, together with the general fullness of the house, had a very gay appearance. We must not omit to mention the rapturous applause with which the splendid performance of the difficult solo on the flute, by Mr.Wusterman, jun., was received on Tuesday night, as was also , on the same night, the splendid dancing of the sailor's hornpipe by an amateur. On one night previously Mr.Wusterman and the amateur exhibited their talents, and were then also justly applauded, Under the management of Mr.Dodd the theatre is evidently much worse attended than it was during the latter period of Mr.Montague Penley's, and considerably so as compared with the long period when Mr.S.Penley was the manager. The present lessee does not seem "to take" as a manager, as he does an actor.

Floricultural Exhibition at Slough

On Friday next an exhibition of this kind will take place in the grounds of the Royal Hotel, at Slough. The exhibition is the one which was last year held at Salt-hill, and is principally got up by Mr.T.Brown, Nurseryman, of Slough; it is under the distinguished patronage of the Queen and Prince Albert, and should the weather prove favourable, we have no doubt it will draw a numerous and fashionable company together on Friday next. As will be seen by the advertisement, a military band is announced to attend.

Royal East Berks Agricultural Association

It will be seen on reference to our advertising columns that the annual ploughing match of this association is fixed to take place in fields belonging to Mr.W.Peto, jun., at Pinkney's Green Farm, near Maidenhead, on Tuesday, the 27th inst.

New Bridge at Wyrardisbury

On Thursday morning the foundation stone of the new bridge at Wyrardisbury was laid by the Rev.G.R.Hopkins, in the absence of G.S.Harcourt, Esq., at whose expense it is being erected. The bridge is to be constructed on the new patent suspension principle of Mr.Dredge, and will be of the length of 200 feet. The benefit of this bridge over a broad and rapid current in winter, and a deep and heavy swamp in summer, will extend beyond the immediate neighbourhood. It will not only form the continuation of the new road now on progress through Wyrardisbury, but, when the whole line is completed, it will probably connect the two lines of the Great Western and South Western Railways.

Windsor Police - Monday
[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), Robt.Blunt, Esq., and William Legh, Esq.]

Charles Robinson was charged with threatening to do personal injury to Miss Amelia Cutt, the daughter of the landlady of the Horse and Groom public-house on Castle-hill. Mr.Voules attended for the complainant.

Miss Cutt stated that the defendant had been waiter at her mother's house, but in consequence of conducting himself improperly she was obliged to complain and was thereby the cause of his being dismissed. Since then he had threatened her and very much annoyed her. On the 23rd of August he threatened he would "do for her" before three months were over his head; and on Friday evening last, when in the Long-walk, he abused her. She was, in consequence, afraid of violence at his hands.

The defendant denied using any threats at all.

Miss Cutt said in consequence of the defendant's conduct on Friday last in the Long-walk, she was obliged to take refuge in Snooks lodge, and to remain there for some time for protection.

Mr.Voules said, the fact was the defendant watched Miss Cutt out, and followed her into the Long-walk and abused her.

Mary Culling corroborated the testimony of the complainant as to what occurred on the 23rd of August.

Mr.Voules suggested that he had shown enough for the magistrates to call on the defendant to find bail to keep the peace; he did not press for heavy bail, but it was necessary that Miss Cutt should be protected.

The magistrates ordered the defendant to find bail to keep the peace for 12 months, himself in 10, and two sureties in 5 each. The defendant not being provided with bail, was removed in custody.

The proprietors of the Royal Gas-works appeared by Mr.Barton, their solicitor, to appeal against the rate made on their works, mains, &c.
Mr.Barton said he had to apply to correct the rating which had been fixed at 1,500 a year, the rateable value being made 200 a year. The interest of the money laid out had not been taken into account, and, as had been done in London in similar instances, it was now properly estimated, and the rateable value had been agreed to be 53 a year. Mr.Towers, the collector appeared for the parish officers, and consented to the alteration to the lesser amount. The magistrates therefore made the order, reducing the sum on the rate from 200 to 53.

Edwin Smith was charged with assaulting Charlotte Marshall, in Spring-gardens.
The complainant, who had a child in her arms, and appeared of a very excitable temperament, said the defendant had lodged at her house for about thirteen months. On the 29th of August at about half-past seven o'clock in the evening, he came home to give her up the key of his apartment. She asked him if he had got any money for her, when he abused her. He was then at the step of the door, and she ordered him off the step, or if he did not she would put him off. She went to accomplish that object, and put her hand on his shoulder to do so, when he stuck her in the face with his fist.
The defendant denied that he struck the complainant. He said when he went to give her the key she spat in his face, then ordered him away, and next pushed him down the step, and he fell.

Mr.Blunt (to complainant) - Did you spit in this man's face ?

Complainant (vehemently) - I did after he struck me, and I then pushed him.

The defendant said he had a witness, and he called

Thomas Cooper, who lived at the next house to the complainant. He saw Smith, the defendant, come home, and heard him say he was going to give up his lodging. Witness was sitting in his room, and hearing high words he went out, and saw Smith falling down backwards. He heard Smith say if she pushed him again he would strike her. Witness did not see any spitting.

The Mayor said, he was afraid the complainant had allowed her temper to get the better of her discretion. It was an assault to spit upon any person, and to push him down. She had no reason to complain. The case should therefore be dismissed, each party paying their own expenses.

Jane Pearson was charged for the fifth time with being drunk and disorderly, but was again discharged with a reprimand, and advised to apply to the relieving officer of the union, and be regularly passed to her parish, as she stated it was her wish to go to her home.

[Before John Clode, Esq. (Mayor), W.Legh, and J.Banister, Esqrs.]

George Marrs [?] was charged with being drunk and disorderly on the previous night. He was fined 5s and 4s 6d costs, which he paid, and was discharged.

Richard Clark, Wm.Clark, Jonathan Hawtrey, James Coward, Wm.Payne, and another person, were charged with damaging the fence of a field in the possession of Mr.William Hughes, farmer, of Clewer, on Sunday last. The defendants it appeared are in the habit, with many others, of playing at cricket in a field of Mr.Hughes's, situate in the Goswells, and damaging the fences by making gaps in them to enter and leave the field. On Sunday , the defendants were seen by a policeman to make a fresh gap in the fence, and the present proceedings were taken against them. The defendants were fined 1s each, besides 7s damage, and costs amounting altogether to 1 6d, to be paid amongst them.

Several persons, male and female, were charged with getting drunk and disorderly, but they were all liberated after a reprimand.

Eton Police - Wednesday

William Carr was charged with stealing a quantity of water cresses, the property of Peter Parr, of Iver, from his field.
It appeared that Mr.Parr, of Iver, who is a licensed victualler, rented a field at Iver for the sake of the water cresses which he cultivates there, and that during the night he loses a large quantity of them. The prisoner was caught there on Tuesday, in the act of taking the water cresses, and he was given into the custody of Mr.Larkin, the chief constable of Iver. He was ordered to pay 1s for the value of the water cresses, 1s fine, and 11s costs, and allowed a week to pay the money, or in default of payment to be committed for 14 days.


Mr.F.Sherborn, of Bedfont, met with an accident on Saturday, which nearly cost him his life. It appears he was on horseback, and attempted to open the gate to go into one of his fields, when the horse by some means slipped into a deep ditch, falling down with Mr.S under him. After remaining in this perilous situation, with the horse plunging, the cries of Mr.S brought a man to his assistance, who immediately held the horse by the head until further assistance could be obtained, and after great difficulty he was extracted in a state nearly insensible, being bruised very severely, but no bones were broken, and we are happy to say he has now recovered.

Colonel Wood having succeeded R.Sullivan, Esq., as chairman to the board of guardians of the Staines Union, gave a dinner at Littleton to the guardians and officers under a large tent , on Wednesday. The entertainment was on the most liberal scale, and several excellent speeches were delivered on the occasion.

On Friday Staines Unionhouse was visited by their Royal Highnesses the Duke of Cambridge and the Duchess of Gloucester, accompanied by Colonel Wood, M.P., who showed them over the establishment. They expressed themselves very much pleased with the good order and arrangements, and they also made a great many enquiries relative to the poor people, &c.

Feltham Petty Sessions
[Before Colonel Wood, M.P. (Chairman), and George Paterson, Esq.]

John Hoare, a native of Kingston, was charged on Monday last with stealing, on the 3rd inst., from the chaise of a Mr.George Dabbs, a commercial traveller, residing in Kent-road, London, one silk handkerchief and twelve packages of court plaister, value 5s. It appeared that the prosecutor was staying at the Grayhound Inn, in Staines, on the night in question, for the purpose of baiting his horse; the chaise stood in the chaise-house of the said Inn. The handkerchief was in the box of the chaise, and contained some vegetables, and upon the prosecutor going to the chaise he discovered the vegetables strewed about and the handkerchief missing. The prisoner, who had been seen loitering about in the neighbourhood was suspected, and the prosecutor, accompanied by a friend , followed in the direction the prisoner was seen to proceed, and when near the Ashford turnpike-gate, on the road to Kingston, he was observed to throw the handkerchief into a ditch. He was immediately secured by the prosecutor, and on the handkerchief being examined it was found to contain the packages of court plaister; he was then given in custody of a police-constable. In the ditch were also found a brush and comb that had been stolen at the same time by the prisoner, belonging to Mr.Hutt, the landlord of the Greyhound Inn. He was fully committed to Newgate to take his trial at the next central criminal court.

John Catenoo appeared upon a summons charged with having, on the 18th of August last, used abusive and threatening language towards Mr. and Mrs Mills, landlord and landlady of the George Inn, Sunbury Common, by which he had rendered himself liable to a penalty of not more than 40s. It appeared from the evidence of Mr.Mills, that on the day in question, a trotting match took place on Sunbury-common, and that about two o'clock the defendant went into the house of the complainant and called for some beer, but in consequence of the defendant having upon some previous occasion created a disturbance in the house, the landlord refused to supply him with any. He (the defendant) notwithstanding remained in the tap-room drinking with other customers for about two hours, and upon his being requested to leave he commenced a torrent of abuse upon Mr. and Mrs Mills, making use of very indecent epithets towards the landlady, and for this he was summoned. It appeared also the case had been privately postponed, with a view of giving both parties an opportunity of producing their witnesses. However, upon this hearing none appeared, and there were a great deal of contradictory statements made. The defendant (who appeared under great excitement, and who was repeatedly interrupted by the worthy chairman, and recommended by that gentleman to restrain his observations) stated that he was the aggrieved party, and that Mr.Mills was the aggressor; that he had been severely beaten by some of Mr.Mills's servants, and proceeded to exhibit some wounds on his legs, which he alleged he had received in consequence of that beating. This , however was positively denied by the complainant, and Mrs.Mills. A scene of recrimination was here about to take place, which would have required some ingenuity, and perhaps force to restrain, but it was put an end to by the chairman observing that in the absence of witnesses it was impossible for the magistrates to adjudicate, and recommended that all parties should appear with their witnesses before the bench at Staines on the 10th instant, but after conferring with his brother magistrates it was resolved to dismiss the complaint, recommending the defendant for the future to patronize some other Inn. This decision appeared to give satisfaction to every person who heard the case, as it was evident there existed faults on both sides, and the defendant after thanking the magistrates withdrew, promising to attend to their suggestion.

John Layton, beer-shop keeper, of Laleham, was summoned for keeping his house open and having persons drinking and smoking therein at 11 o'clock on the night of the 27th August, the lawful hour for closing being 10 o'clock. The defendant did not deny the charge, but contended at first that he was justified in keeping his house open to that hour, alleging that other beer houses in London and Staines were permitted to do so. The chairman here read the Act of Parliament, wherein it is enacted that in parishes or places where the population exceeds 2,500 , the beer-houses are permitted to be kept open until 11; but in all other places they are required to close at 10. The population of Laleham is only 612. The defendant then changed his line of defence, and stated that this was an extraordinary occasion when an annual club had met, and they had had a supper. Mr.Dowsett, inspector of police, observed that as it was possible the defendant might have acted in ignorance of the law, there was no desire on the part of the police to press for a heavy penalty, and any sum the magistrates might be pleased to mitigate the penalty to would be perfectly satisfactory to the commissioners of police, their only motive being to preserve order, and to induce persons to comply with the law. The magistrates then mitigated the penalty from 5 to 1s, and 7s 6d costs. The defendant here entered into a rambling rhodomontade, complaining of the hardship of being selected, while others were quite as bad, or even worse than him, and entreated the magistrates not to convict, asserting the respectability of his house, and that a great number of the respectable inhabitants of Laleham would be happy to certify to the orderly manner in which his house was conducted, and that they would if required, sign a certificate or requisition to that effect. The defendant was stopped by the worthy chairman, who very properly observed that his case had been treated with the utmost leniency, and that if the respectable inhabitants of Laleham were really so anxious to assist him, his better plan would be to induce them to sign a requisition, addressed to the magistrates sitting at the next annual licensing session, praying them to grant him a license as licensed victualler, and then he would be enabled to keep his house open later for their accommodation. The defendant then paid the fine and costs very reluctantly and retired.

The annual dinner given by the Mayor H.B.Jones, Esq., took place on Thursday in the Town Hall,which was numerously attended, and among the company were H.Kemble, and E.Antobus, Esqrs., the members for the Eastern, and J.Trotter, Esq., for the Western Division of Surrey. On the removal of the cloth, the health's of "Her Majesty - Prince Albert - The Prince of Wales - the Queen Dowager - and the rest of the Royal Family" - were respectively given and duly honoured. The health of "the Members for Surrey" being given by the Chairman, the toast was received with enthusiasm - Mr.Kemble, in acknowledging the compliment briefly alluded to the duties which his division of the county had imposed upon him, and trusted he had fulfilled the pledges which he had given on the hustings. His best exertions should always be devoted to the best interests of the country, and to its constituents in particular. He returned his best acknowledgements for the honour they had conferred upon him, and resumed his seat amid great applause - Mr.Antrobus briefly returned thanks - Mr.Trotter said though he was constant in his attendance to his parliamentry duties, he must candidly admit he left the working part to his colleagues, to whom all the merit was due; and concluded by proposing the health of the "Mayor," which was received with great applause. - Mr.Jones returned thanks in an eloquent speech , and the harmony and conviviality of the evening were kept up till a late hour. The dinner, which consisted of every delicacy , was excellently served by Mr.Moon of the Griffin Inn, and the company retired well pleased with all the arrangements of the day.

The Teddington Royal Horticultural Society held their annual exhibition of flowers, fruits, &c., in the grounds of the Clarence Arms Inn, on Thursday, when prizes were awarded as under.


First Class (50 blooms for nurserymen) - First prize, Mr.Wilmer, Sunbury; second, Mr.Gaines, Battersea.

Second Class (amateurs, 24 blooms) - First prize, Mr.Bragg, Slough; second, Mr.Humber, Southall.

Third Class (amateurs, 12 blooms) - First prize, Mr.Bragg, Slough; second, Mr.Hopkins, Brentford; third, Mr.Bristow, Kingston.

Fourth Class (amateurs, 6 blooms) - First prize, Mr.Bristow.

Fifth Class (gentlemen's gardeners, 24 blooms) - First prize, Mr.Dean, Teddington; second, Mr.Steers, Kingston; third, Mr.Burley, Cobham.

Seventh Class (gentlemen's gardeners, 6 blooms) - First prize, Mr.Hamerton, Teddington; second, Mr.Ives, Kingston; third, Mr.Garrod, Teddington.

Seedling Dahlias, 1842 - First prize, Mr.Gaines, Battersea; seedlings 1841, equal prizes to Mr.Mountjoy, Ealing, for virgil, and Mr.Bragg, Slough, white antagonist.

There was a splendid show of plants and flowers, in which classes Messrs.Jackson, of Kingston, gained the first prizes; and in fruit, Mr.Gibson, gardener to her Majesty the Queen Dowager, who is the patroness of the society. Owing to the unfavourable state of the weather there was not a very large attendance of company in the gardens, the wind being so high during the morning that one of the tents in which the specimen plants were exhibited was blown down, and the plants very much injured. About 50 of the members and their friends dined together in the evening, when the utmost harmony prevailed. An excellent band from London, attended during the day, and played some of the most popular music.

Shocking Accident

A coroner's inquest was held at the Swan Inn, Iver, on Thursday, before John Charsley, Esq., coroner for Bucks, on the body of Thos.King, aged 27 years, who was run over on Wednesday afternoon, about three o'clock, in Thorney-lane, Iver.

Robert Newman stated that between two and three o'clock on Wednesday afternoon he was driving down Thorney-lane and saw the deceased lying in the road apparently very much hurt, he got down and examined him, and found that he had been run over. He then recognised him as Thos.King, he was sensible, and witness asked him if he had not been run over, he said he had by a waggon; witness said "I had better go and fetch a doctor," and King said "do as soon as you can;" he immediately went to Iver and saw Mr.Ayling of the Swan and Mr.Stratton, the relieving officer. Witness did not see the waggon, the horses had ran away. He believed the waggon and horses belonged to Mr.Westaway, a miller, at Colnbrook.

James Barton, father-in-law to the deceased, stated that the deceased had got a situation as carter to Mr.Westaway, miller, at Colnbrook. Witness assisted him in removing his furniture from Hillingdon, and was in the waggon with his wife and four children when the accident happened. The deceased was standing on the shafts of the waggon talking to his wife, who was in the front, when a horse and gig drove by, and the horses started up at a good pace; the deceased jumped off the shafts and fell, when the waggon went over his body and part of his face. The horses mended their pace and got into a gallop, they went nearly a mile before they were stopped. Witness and deceased's wife and children all thought they should be dashed to pieces. As soon as the horses were stopped witness went to look for the deceased, and found that he had been removed to Mr.Ayling's at the Swan, and the doctor was with him.

The Coroner - Did you consider him sober ?

Witness - He was not tipsy, but a little fresh.

The Jury - Did he not snap his whip and the horses thus started - Witness - He did.

Richard Ayling was then examined and stated that he assisted Stratton and Larkin in removing the deceased to his house. Mr.Norbland, the doctor, attended him, and paid every attention to him up to his death, assisted by Mr.McNamara, of Uxbridge. He died about five minutes before one in the morning. Mr.Norbland was with the witness at the time of his death. The waggon wheels had gone over his body, part of his face, and over one leg.

The coroner addressed the jury and stated the facts of the case. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death," and levied a deodand of 1s on the waggon and horses. Some of the jury further stated that the deceased had come by his death by his own neglect in riding on the waggon without having some one to drive his horses, he not knowing the temper of the horses at the time. The coroner said that he had no less than 8 or 9 inquests last year on men who lost their lives in the same way, and strongly recommended that all parties that were caught riding without reins or some one to drive the horses, should be taken before the magistrates and dealt with according to law; it would be the saving of a great number of lives, and a great service to the public at large.


A vestry was held in this parish on yesterday week to consult and decide on the propriety of removing and repairing the stone pavement of the village, and other matters relative to the highways, the Rev. Jas.Jerram, the vicar, the chair. The vestry first proceeded to take a view of the place, and from the bad state of the pavement, together with an acute angle at one corner of the road, owing to the projection of some old building, it is surprising that only one accident has occurred, viz., that of the upsetting of a chaise with Mr.Nasmyth and his sister a few days ago, when, by a miracle, they fortunately escaped unhurt. Upon returning to the vestry-room, the surveyor not having any plan to submit, Mr.Mumford suggested, that with some trifling alteration and repair the present inconvenience in the road might be remedied. Mr.Gude thought they should go further, and look at the dangerous state and want of repair of the roads throughout the parish; but for Mr.Baigent, who had lately pulled down several old houses in the village and re-built new ones in their stead, he considered that Chobham in every other respect was half a century behind the adjoining parishes. Many of the labouring poor, who would most likely come to want in the ensuing winter, might be profitably employed in improving the parish. To begin, he recommended a bridge over the stream of water near Grant's Farm, which became dangerous in winter. Other minor reforms might be made, and at the acute angle complained of, the building might be thrown back and an ornamental crescent formed. Mr.Gude also drew attention to a list of complaints, made by the surveyor in February last, and thought the sale of a few acres of Chobham Waste would raise funds enough for those purposes - The Chairman entertained great doubt of the Lord of the Manor consenting to an enclosure, and believed him to be decidedly opposed to it. Mr.Gude thought in this instance he would concede it as it was to employ the poor. Ultimately it was agreed for the present to repair the road in the village by laying down the proper materials, and by so much to prevent further accidents. The Chairman then read a letter which had been put into his hands by a Guardian, and written by a police-officer at Ilchester, relative to the man Burge alias Poyet, whose wife and three children had been for months supported in the workhouse. After some remarks, on taking into the union a man with his wife and family without knowing whether they were rightly chargeable to the Chobham parish, the chairman put an end to them by observing, that it was hardly fair to proceed in the matter, in the absence of Mr.Collyer and Mr.Hodd. After a vote of thanks to the chairman, the meeting adjourned.