Town of Pawling
Dutchess County, New York
Updated 4/13 /2001
Watts / Slocum Ground
Facts and Figures from JW Poucher's "Old Gravestones of Dutchess County", 1924. See Dutchess County Cemetery Internments for Poucher's exact comments.
Beers = found on 1867 Beers Atlas
Terraserve = found on topographical map on web
|Quaker Hill Cemetery||Quaker Hill||1794||1794||159||Found, On East side of Quaker Hill Rd (CR66), at intersection with Meeting House Rd. The Quaker Meeting house is just east of this location on Meeting House Rd. At the Meeting house site is a maker for the Revolutionary solders buried here. In 1916, " Community ground. On Quaker Hill. Cared for. Known as Quaker Hill Cemetery, Inc." Meeting House Postcard|
|Akin Family Groun||Mizzen Top||1805||1814||26||In 1914, "Near Mizzen Top, by the road. Known as the Akin ground. Restored in order in late years by Mr. Martin Leach, who has also provided a fund for permanent care."|
|Toffey Ground||Mizzeen Top||1814||1821||21||In 1916, "About half a mile from Mizzentop, in a field a quarter of a mile from the road. CONDITION: Good." Mizzentop Postcard|
|Allen Family Ground||Quaker Hill||1840||1848||7||In 1914, "Near Quaker Hill. Overgrown and deserted."|
St John's Cemetery
|West Pawling||1801||1821||532||Found. I imagine that Brownell Ground is the same as the current large St. John's Cemetery visible from the Pawling RR Station. In 1914, " At West Pawling, near the railroad station. Thickly overgrown but used within recent years."|
|Watt / Slocum||Pawling||1786||1806||16||Found, At intersection of Rt 22 and Main St. In 1914, "South of the village of Pawling, near the golf links. Overgrown; surrounded by a stone wall.|
|Howes Family||1810||1812||15||Buys, "This cemetery is less than ½ mile from Putnam County on the west side of Route 22 in a small clump of trees about 250 ft. west of the road."|
|Abott||Holmes||1863||1872||2||Buys, "On Route 292 at Holmes [Town of Pawling], very near the Putnam County border, is a dwelling and property used as a Methodist parsonage. This plot is about 200 ft. from the road near a stone wall on the north side of the parsonage." Hulda and Seth Abbott. The Holmes Methodist church is on Holmes road, about 100 yds. from where Holmes Rd. meets Rt. 292. Holmes Postcard 1922|
|Turner||Holmes||1870||1875||2||Not yet found, This is South Rd in Holmes, not
South road in Pawling.
Buys, "Take the Holmes Rd. east of Route 52 to South Road [hamlet of Holmes, Proceed on this road in a northerly direction for about .45 of a
mile. On the left what resembles a driveway is the now-abandoned "Valley Road." Go west on this road for about a mile and down several hills until you cross the remains of small wooden bridge across a brook. About 70 ft. past the brook is a break in the stone wall on the left side of the road. Enter the break and proceed about 100 ft. farther to the west and about 150 ft. south of the road."
|Turner / Spencer||Holmes||1850||1854||9||Not yest found, This is South Rd in Holmes, not
South Rd in Pawling.
Buys, "This cemetery is located on South Road [hamlet of Holmes, Town of Pawling]. Proceed .5 mile from the Holmes Road on South Road. This cemetery is just past a curve on the right hand side."
|Campbell Ground||Hurd's Corners||1817||1834||20||In 1914, "CONDITION: Overgrown; enclosed by a stone wall. "|
|Cushing Ground||Hurds' Corners||1794||1825||6+||" On Green farm, near Hurd's Corners,"|
|Bowdy||Akindale||1812||1817||5||"Near "Akindale," Pawling, N.Y., on property which probably
belonged to Moses Bowdy. Many stones have been removed. These stones
are all very tall, which
is probably the reason they were not carried away."
|Kirby||1831||3||" West of the front door of the Gideon Kirby home (owned, by Mrs. Kenneth Howgate.)|
|Dodge||1807||1816||31||"On what was the Dodge Farm, near Pawling."|
|Haynes||1809||1812||76||In 1914, "A mile N of the village of Pawling, on the Dykeman Farm. Condition: In fair order. 12 stones removed from here to the Pawling Rural Cemetery are included in this list."|
|Pierce||1794||1806||18||In 1916, "West of Pawling, on the Dykeman farm. CONDITION: Abandoned. Known locally as the Pierce ground.|
|Sherman||1888||1||In 1914, "Two miles north of Hurd's Corners. CONDITION:
In an open field. This is a large granite monument, standing alone.
Benjamin and Deborah Sherman 1805
Erected by descendants 1888. "
|Taber Family||1783||1783||17||In 1924, "Two miles and a half north of Quaker Hill, on the farm of William Taber."|
See Dutchess County Toursim Site for description and maps of historical
sites in this area:
John B. Dux email@example.com