Town of Fishkill
Dutchess County, New York
Fishkill Trinity Church
Facts and Figures from JW Poucher's "Old Gravestones of Dutchess County", 1924. See Dutchess County Cemetery Internments for Poucher's exact comments.
Beers = found on 1867 Beers Atlas
Terraserve = found on topographical map on web
|Dutch Reformed||Fishkill||1737||1738||487||Historical cemetery at the still very active church.
Serves as the entrance to the downtown stores of the village. Church
organized 1718, built 1731. Served as hospital, prison and NY state
assembly during Rev. War.
Rt 9 and Rt 52(main street) 845-896-9836
|Trinity Episcopalian||Fishkill||1770||1777||157||Very pretty and active church on opposite intersection
of current Rt 9 and Rt 52. Original Post Road went by front
of church and would then have curved toward the Dutch Reformed church.
Many tombstones still standing around the church, but I can imagine some
of the graves may have been disrupted with the building of Rt 9 (which
is behind the church) and the commercial businesses. For example,
a coworker tells of a crypt that was recently unearthed in the building
of the parking lot of the Taco Bell. Terraserver
From Poucher, "Trinity Church was organized in 1766 conjointly with Christ Church, Poughkeepsie, as a mission of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, London. The church building erected 1767-68 is still standing and in use. It was occupied as a military hospital during the War of the Revolution."
|Rombout Prebs.||Brinkerhoff||1760||1760||389||On north side of Rt 52, by the A&P, just west of
intersection with Rt 82. There is an area of no graves / recent
graves where I can imagine the church stood. There is also a modern
monument to Gen. Lafayette that recovered from an illness in the adjacent
Brinkerhoff house (private).
From Poucher, "On this site the Rombout Presbyterian church was erected in 1747. The building stood until 1866 when it was burned. It was used as a military hospital during the War of the Revolution. After the fire of 1866 the congregation did not rebuild. Occasional services were held for a time but now the church is extinct."
|Reformed (Dutch)||Fishkill Landing
|1814||1816||343||Not yet personally visited. West of 9D (Park
Ave), south of Main Street.
From Poucher, "The Reformed (Dutch) Church at Fishkill Landing is an offshoot from the Reformed Church at Fishkill Village. A church building was erected in 1813 and the yard surrounding it used for interments from that time."
|1819||1819||428||Visited 2000. Older and maintained cemetery at
Verplank and N. Walnut.
From Poucher, 1916, " In the city of Beacon, about two blocks north of the main street and two blocks east of the church building. Good Condition. In 1819 Methodists of the town of Fishkill began to hold services in a school house between Matteawan and Fishkill Landing on the old road, and a burial ground was opened. In 1824 a new road was laid out on which the congregation (known as the Matteawan Methodist Church) acquired a site and erected a building. This building was abandoned in 1860 for religious purposes, became known as Swift Hall and in 1890 burned down. In 1860 the congregation divided, one part building a church at the landing, the other in Matteawan. Recently a fund has been given for the perpetual care of this cemetery."
State Hospital / Prison
|Beacon||Not visited and a Beacon Co-worker did not even know
According to TERRASERVER, a cemetery is located at the west end of Van Ness Road, at the North-East corner of the prison. Van Ness is the first road south of 84.
|St. Luke's Epis.||Matteawan
|1831||1831||707||Not yet personally visited. South of Beacon on
Rt 9D (Wolcott Ave & Phillips?) In good shape and still in use.
From Poucher, 1914, "Well cared for. St. Anna's
Church (Protestant Episcopal) of Matteawan, organized in 1833, erected
a building in the center of the village, west of the N. D. & C. railroad
station, and also opened a small cemetery in the valley east of the railroad.
The Presbyterian Church of Matteawan (also organized in 1833) soon after
opened a burial ground adjoining St. Anna's. In 1868 twelve acres of land,
immediately south and west of these two cemeteries, were given to St. Anna's.
The church in the village was then
|Fishill Rural Cem||Fishkill||1795||1797||175||Rt 9 just north of village. Removals from other
cemeteries from 1866-1900. Very large and active cemetery 845-896-6227.
From Poucher, "At Fishkill Village, on the west side of the Post Road a short distance north of the Reformed Dutch Church. Well cared for. The following list of 175 names is taken from the records of the Fishkill Rural Cemetery, Register of Interments, No.1, and includes the entries on the register which record the removals to the Fishkill Rural Cemetery from elsewhere of bodies between 1866 and 1908."
|Negro||Fishkill||1832||1834||9||On Ceder Hill Rd (Osborne Hill Road), just north of village.
(adjacent to back of Fishkill Rural Cemetery?). Visited Winter
2000. I recall more than 9 graves. The stone walls were
in place and it looked as if someone had been taking care of it.
A worker at the Fishkill Rural Cemetery confirmed that this plot is not
part of the Rural Cemetery, and that it is referred to as the Slave grounds.
She did not know who is maintaining it. She told a story of
a recent African-American visitor who remembers her dad getting permission
to dig a grave for a child that died in the (1930's?). The
Pok Journal ran an article in the past few years of a SUNY New Paltz Professor
researching the site.
From Poucher, 1914, "CLASSIFICATION: Community ground. Cedar Hill, north of Fishkill Village. Uncared for. A Negro burial ground. It contains a number of unmarked recent graves."
|Hebrew||Fishkill||Recent. On Osborne Hill Rd just north of the above Negro Cemetery. The same worker at the Fishkill Rural Cemetery referred to it as the Hebrew Cemetery, and being administered by a Synagogue in Beacon. Terraserver|
|1797||1823||8||Visited April 2001. Intersection of Tioranda Ave
and (Sargent or South Ave). Very overgrown. Field stones set
vertically. Someone has recently placed a number of small wooden
crosses in area.
Tioranda - Name of the current Craig House across the Fishkill Creek..
Knevel property on 1867 map. Perhaps the graves associated with the Madam Brett Historical site in Beacon? Tironda Road.
Poucher, 1908, "Family ground. At Tioronda. Abandoned; stones broken and inscriptions illegible. Probably an old ground and one from which many stones have disappeared. It may have belonged to the Wiltsies or Newlins. "
|Schryver||1835?||1846||2||Schryver Farm - Not yet found
Poucher, 1915, "Family ground. On the old Schryver farm, now owned by Jacob Bech. On a hillside in an open field."
|St. Joachim||Beacon||Washington Av 831-2715 Terraserver
Older cemetery: Grove and Puyster St
Newer Cemetery; At Washington and Liberty, visable from road
|Fairview Cemetery||Beacon||Modern Cemetery, At Washington and Liberty, not
visable from road.
|http://www.fishkillbaptist.org/history.html. The records of the Fishkill Baptist Church show that the meeting for incorporation was held in the old school house in Matteawan (now Beacon) New York on October 26, 1853 under the name of the First Baptist Church of Matteawan. Rev. Daniel Webster Sherwood was the pastor. A Building Committee was formed and on June 26, 1854, contracts were signed and a building was erected. The church, however, was reorganized in 1856 and re-named the Pilgrim Baptist Church.|
See Dutchess County Tourism page for map and description of historical
buildings and locations in this area.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids