Town of Clinton
Dutchess County, New York
Providence Cemetery at Pleasant Plains Presbyterian Church
Facts and Figures from JW Poucher's "Old Gravestones of Dutchess County", 1924. See Dutchess County Cemetery Internments for Poucher's exact comments.
Beers = found on 1867 Beers Atlas
Terraserve = found on topographical map on web
(Pleasant Plains Presbyterian)
|Pleasant Plains||1770||1779||155||On CR 14, just east of CR 16, In fairily good shape
in Winter 2000. Across the street from Pleasant Plains Presbyterian
church, 246 Hollow Rd, Stattsburg. 845-889-4019. From
Tourism link below, "The white frame Greek Revival structure dates
from the organization of the congregation in 1837 (enlarged 1859). 18th
and 19th C. farms line the road to the
Hollow and Hibernia Mills, a main, east-west artery in this area."
.Photo 1, Photo 2
|Hicksite Friends'||Clinton Corners||1794||1795||234||From Poucher, 1914, "At the meeting house of the Hicksite Friends', Clinton Corners. In good order. : The Hicksite Friends' meeting at Clinton Corners, was organized in 1828 and the meeting house was built in 1829.|
|Clinton Corners||1818||1838||80||CR 13 and CR 17. From Tourism ink below, "In the
late 1700s Quakers settled in the area and began construction of
the building now occupied by the UPTON LAKE GRANGE (L) (.8). Completed
in 1782, the fieldstone CREEK MEETING HOUSE is identified as a Quaker
site by the separate entrances for women and men and by the adjacent
burying ground, one of the oldest in the county."
In 1914, "Fair Condition. A Friends' meeting was organized in Clinton in 1777 and a meeting house was built that same year which is still standing, a substantial stone building."
|Spencer||Pleasant Plains||1806||1807||2||Not yet found. In 1913, "On the fram of George W. Rymph, a mile and a half southeast of Pleasant Plains Church."|
|Methodist||Clinton Hollow||1837||1840||15||Not yet Found. In 1913, " One mile south of Clinton Hollow, on the farm of Monroe Woodin. Uncared for. This small burial place marks the site of a church which was built by Methodist in 1830. The building was moved away in 1850 and put to other uses and about the same time the congregation became extinct.|
|Tripp||Clinton Corners||1807||1816||13||Not yet found. In 1914, "Near Clinton Corners, on the former Cheesman farm, now the property of J. Griswold Webb. Overgrown and deserted.|
|Lyons||Clinton Corners||1793||1811||40||Not yet found. In 1913, "On the Lyon Farm, northwest of Clinton Corners. Overgrown and deserted.|
See Dutchess County Tourism page for map and description of historical buildings and locations in this area.
John B. Dux email@example.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids