The surname Wilsey is also shown as Wiltsie, Wilcie, Wilsie, Wiltsee, Willsea, etc. The name is of Dutch origin and the first settler found in the New World bearing this surname was Phillipe Maton (Martin) Wiltsee in the year 1624 in NY. My line is far from complete as I have not been able to find the connection back.
Abraham (Abram) Wilsey born 1791-1794 in Albany, NY and wife Harriet _____ born 1796 in either Connecticut or Rhode Island as stated on the census. It appears that they were married around 1820. She died before 1880 in NY. He died after 1880 in NY. Abraham is listed in the census in 1820 in Middleburgh, NY, 1830 Fulton, NY, 1840 in Jefferson, NY. They are found in Boonville, NY, Oneida County on the 1850 Census . In 1855 they are listed on the State Census as living in Oneida County for 9 years. Abraham was a shoe and boot maker. Abraham was married second to Mariah according to the 1880 census.
Abraham and Harriet's children all born in Schoharie County, NY.
Isaac - b.1821
Betsy - b. 1825
Charles - b. 1827
Harvey S. - b. 1834
Lorenzo - b. 1838
Louisa - b. 1842
1. Betsy (Elizabeth) (b1825 - d 02/20/1865) married Harvey Sykes in 1846.
2. Charles (b1827 - d 10/1890) married Mary A. Jones. Charles was a Private in the Civil War, 80th NY Volunteers and joined the GAR in 10/1879, at age 51. He was a shoemaker. Their children are:
Willard (William) - b 1854
Charles E. - b 1858 d. 10/14/1924
Cora L. - b 1860 d. 04/18/1927
Leona - b 1875 adopted
3. Isaac - b 1821 also a shoemaker.
4. Harvey S. - b 1834 married Louisa ______ born 1844. Harvey is found in the Rochester, New York Directory as Harvey S. Wiltsie, cutter, 281 North Avenue Rochester, NY for the years of 1888, 1889, 1890
5. Lorenzo - b abt. 1838 married Elizabeth S. B. Haig. He enlisted in the Civil War 08/13/1862 and was a Private in Co. K, 117th NY Volunteers Infantry. He died 10/02/1863 at Folly Island, SC.
Lorenzo and Elizabeth's children are:
Margaret C. - b 07/12/1860 - d 1930 married George Henry Rathbun 02/08/1888 in Little Falls, NY.
Thomas C. - b10/01/1861
For more information on the Wilsey line check the following:
ęcopyright 2003 All rights reserved.Please send comments and suggestions to: