Search billions of records on
                                                         OUR PINCKARD FAMILY 
                      "Pinckard" is a very old name and first comes to light in Normandy as "Pincheart",
                      probably from "Pinchardon" or "Punchardon". Pinckards are listed in the roll of the
                      Battle Abbey in the Battle of Hastings, England, 1066, as nobles (in this case not the
                      largest landowners) where they were also shown as "Picard" and "Pynchard".
                          The earliest mention of a Pinckard so far found in England after the Battle of
                      Hastings is in a public record of 1272: Albreda Pinckard. The Pinckards held land in
                      Northamptonshire as early as 1346.
                           They owned Ascote in Patteshall and Grimscote in Cold Higham from 1570 to
                      1809. They owned land at Caldicote from 1748 to at least 1873 when this information
                      was gathered.
                           The family's ancient seal dating from 1363 was a Fleur-de-lis and the county seat
                      in the late 19th century was Combe Court, Godalming, Surrey, England.
                           The earliest mention of a Pinchard coming to North America was in 1655 when
                      William Wright brought Thomas Pinchard over to Nansemond Co., Virginia.
                           Our earliest direct ancestor was Captain John Pinckard (1) who was a resident of
                      Lancaster County, Virginia, and in 1688 was a member of the House of Burgesses.
                      He married Elizabeth ________, who had been born in England about 1642. They
                      had three sons: John (2), Thomas (2), James (2) and four daughters including
                      Elisabeth (2), Martha (2), and Margaret (2). Capt. John died about 1690 leaving a
                      goodly sum of money. He would have left more had not so many people owed him.
                           His son, John (2), married Mary Doggett. They had four sons, Thomas (3), William
                      (3), James (3), John (2) and a daughter, Judith (3). John (2) and his brother, Thomas
                      (2) served as justices of the peace and in various other public capacities. Thomas was
                      a member and a vestry man in the still existing beautiful little Christ Church 2.7 miles
                      south of Kilnarmock, Lancaster County, Virginia.
                          John (2) died in 1734. His son, William (3), also married a Mary and their children
                      were: Spencer (4), Jeduthan (4), James (4), William (4), Thomas (4) and daughter,
                      Amy (4). William (3) died in 1762, probably in Lancaster Co., Virginia.
                          It was probably about this time that the Pinckards began to go west and south. The
                      land was wearing out from tobacco planting. During the 17th century so much
                      tobacco was planted due to the demand in Europe, the people came close to
                      starvation because they hadn't planted enough corn. There also wasn't enough land
                      to go around to all the sons of the families who lived in the Tidelands and besides
                      there was all that beautiful land in the Valley of Virginia, the Shenandoah and
                      further west in Kentucky. The British said they couldn't go there, but since no one
                      was using it, except some Indians and when did that ever stop development. In the
                      South the Pinckards settled in North and South Carolina, Louisiana and even Florida.
                      Some continued on to southern Alabama where they founded the little town of
                          The town history doesn't give any clues as to who the Pinckard founders were. My
                      uncle, James C. (Jim) Pinckard met a man there running the gas station that looked
                      more like his brother, my uncle, Joseph A. (Jay) Pinckard than he did. The man's
                      mother was a Pinckard, but there was no connection as far as they knew.
                          (My uncle Jay was a plant pathologist and biologist at the U. of L., Baton Rouge.
                      He spent a lot of time in the mountains of West Virginia and Alabama. He was often
                      taken aback and finally amused at how often upon learning his name, he would be
                      asked, "Be ye one of the 'drinkin' Pinckards?" He wasn't but he got acquainted with
                      some of them and noted how often their families had the same names, James, John,
                      etc. as other Pinckards had.)
                          There is another very charming little village just southwest of Lexington,
                      Kentucky, close to the famous Calumet Horse Farms with the name of Pinckard.
                      There is a large Southern Baptist church there and not much else. The village had a
                      post office from 1888 to 1932 and at sometime in its past was known as Satansville.
                      Was the Pinckard for whom the village was named a saint or a euphemism?
                          Our Pinckards settled in Fauquier County, Virginia. The censuses of the 1700's
                      listed horses and slaves but not wives or children. Most of the Pinckards had one or
                      two horses and very few had slaves.
                          The records are somewhat elusive at this point. They didn't keep very good records
                      on the frontier of that time. Many of them were moving around a lot and the nearest
                      courthouse was often miles and mountains ranges away. A good number of the
                      courthouses and records were burned in the Civil War.
                           It was William's (3) son, William (4) Pinckard, who settled in Fauquier Co. with
                      some of his brothers. He married Mildred Dodd, the daughter of Nathaniel Dodd,
                      from an old Welsh family.
                           William (4) Pinckard is one of the most litigious men I have run across, even for
                      our day and age. He was often in court suing and being sued for one thing and
                      another sometimes for having a big mouth! This William died in Fauquier Co. in
                             I believe Nathaniel was probably the son of William (4) though I have not yet
                       found documentation for it nor have two other people who are searching for it as well
                       (1992). All I have to go on at this point is that he is the first Nathaniel in the Pinckard
                       family and his two oldest children were named William and Mildred. It was often the
                       custom to name the two oldest children after grandparents. And Nathaniel was in the
                       right place at the right time.
                             William's (4) will (Faq. Will Bk. 3, pg. 294) left everything to his wife, Mildred ,
                       and at her decease, "to be disposed of among her children". Some have said that
                       because it didn't say our children, it might mean that they weren't William's. But I
                       haven't found any evidence that Mildred was married before and so I'm going on
                       circumstantial evidence and the naming customs of that time to suggest that William
                       (4) is Nathaniel's father. Nathaniel (5) was born in 1771, probably in Fauquier Co. He
                       was received on trial as a Methodist Episcopal minister and was assigned from the
                       Lovely Lane Methodist Church of Baltimore, Maryland to the Gloucester Circuit in
                       Virginia, June 1790. In 1791 he was ordained and assigned to the West Indies where
                       he headed the Methodist Academy in Kingston, Jamaica, for several years. (Small
                       world dept.: Two of my coworkers at Partners International in San Jose and I
                       discovered we had ancestors who were in Jamaica at approximately that same time.
                       One was a Presbyterian missionary from Scotland and the other a freed slave.)
                             Nathaniel returned home and married Lucy Coleman Green (1771-1822). She
                      was the sixth of eight children, seven girls and one boy. Her father was William
                      Green who was born ca. 1728 in Essex County, Virginia, and died sometime in the
                      1770s, probably in Culpeper Co. (That area was growing so fast that new counties
                      were made out of old ones very rapidly so that someone living in the same house
                      could have lived in two or three different counties in a lifetime.)
                            Lucy's mother was Ann Coleman, who was born in Caroline Co., Virginia, and
                      who died in 1804 in Culpeper County. Her ancestry can be traced back through
                      many generations to royal houses of England and Europe.
                            William Green was the eldest of the seven "red Green" brothers. They all had
                      "red hair and beards as became their mixed Welsh and Scotch blood." Several of
                      them and many of their grandchildren moved into Kentucky and points west very
                      early in the opening of that area when it was still a very fearsome place to take
                            William had inherited the large family estate located near Brandy Station in the
                      beautiful, softly rolling hills of Culpeper County. His father, Robert, (1695-1748)
                      left a large acreage of land to each of his sons. He certainly did his son, William,
                      no favor leaving the home estate to him. It was so severely entailed that if William
                      and his eldest son who would inherit it died, it went to William's next eldest
                      brother. It could not be legally transferred to anyone other than those specified in
                      Robert's will.
                            There were also debts against it. But it didn't stay in William's family very long
                      after his widow died in 1804 in spite of his father's will. However when he died in the
                      early 1770's, William left his wife a good income. In spite of his financial troubles, he
                      also left money for the education of his son and his daughters, which was unique,
                      especially for that time. It was not the only time in our family history that daughters
                      were encouraged to get an education.
                            William was a colonel in the Orange (later Culpeper) Co. militia and had fought
                      against the Indians in northern Virginia during the 1750's. In 1763 he administered the
                      oath of allegiance to King George III that the militia took, but two years later
                      petitioned against the imposition of the Stamp Act, resigning his commission in
                            He was a vestryman of the historic St. Mark's Parish (Anglican) from 1749 to his
                      death, having taken over from his father at his death.
                            Ann Coleman's mother, was Elizabeth Wyatt (1705-1772). She was descended
                      from the Rev. Hawte Wyatt (1594-1638), the brother of Sir Francis Wyatt (1591-
                      1644) of Allington Castle, Kent, England, which is now a Carmelite nunnery. Sir
                      Francis was a founding governor of Jamestown Colony, Virginia. Hawte spent several
                      years as chaplain of the Colony in the early 1600's when his brother was governor.                                      Several of his children came back to Virginia after he went home to England.
                      Their ancestor, Sir Thomas Wyatt (1503-1542), was a poet and courtier of Henry
                      VIII's court who came very near to losing his head because of Henry VIII's suspicions
                      regarding one of his wives, Anne Boleyn. Sir Thomas was a direct descendent of
                      Edward III of England who must have left more known descendants than any one
                      else in history, except possibly Adam. Our line then goes back through a lot of
                      Normans, Vikings, Saxons, Visigoths and Ostrogoths through Charlemagne to 425
                      A.D. and Clodion the Hairy Gaul. (See the Pinckard-Wyatt line.)
                          There are also the early kings of France, Germany, Scots and Picts, the Welsh and
                      the Holy Roman Empire. Actually it's a wonder any of us are here when you read the
                      history of these people.
                          While I've found nary a horse thief in our later ancestry, there were plenty of
                      people earlier who plotted against each other, sometimes using very inventive and
                      quite awful ways of disposing of their enemies who would probably have done the
                      same things to them.
                          One early English chief was thrown into a pit of adders. Then there were the
                      plagues, wars of all kinds and horrors of horrors, no soap made in Scotland until
                      1620. Even the nobles bathed only once a year and then reluctantly. One Scottish
                      prince was held in the Tower of London, and having a French mother, complained
                      that his sheets hadn't been changed for two years. He was considered picky picky!
                           But there were also marvelous people real leaders, kings and queens and others
                      who brought a better kind of life to their constituents. There were those who were
                      interested in music and the arts, in science and who introduced Christianity (for
                      whatever reason) into what is now France, Sweden, Spain and England. And of
                      course the majority of our ancestors were never heard of, but it took courage and
                      hard work on the part of those who ventured into unknown lands and new
                      situations as many of them did. And here we are!
                          According to lone Mestre Pinckard (MU), the Pinckards were very proud of their
                      Scottish ancestry, though they never mentioned having royal ancestors. Robert Green
                      is reputed to have descended from a distinguished family whose ancestral home was
                      Green's Norton in Northamptonshire, England, a holding established by Sir Henry
                      Green in the early 1300's. He was the first Lord Chief Justice of England under
                      Edward III.
                           In the 1500's Sir Thomas Green was the grandfather of Katherine Parr, 6th wife of
                      Henry VIII.
                           Robert's father, William, was an officer as some family history holds, or a yeoman,
                      which other records state. At that time this meant he was an attendant of a noble
                      house, and also a freeholder, a class just below the gentry. William was in the Royal
                      Guard of King William of Orange from 1693-99. These were special guards and there
                      were just one hundred of them, all over six feet tall, which meant they were very,
                      very tall. In those days the average man's height was well under five feet six inches
                          William married Eleanor Duff who came from a distinguished Scottish family.
                      Robert was born in England in 1695 and was very close to his mother's family. In
                     1710 he and his uncle, Sir William MacDuff, who is thought to have been a Quaker,
                      embarked from Ireland for Virginia. They formed a partnership and bought great
                      acreage in the Valley of Virginia and along the Rappahannock River, opening up that
                         In 1731 Sir William returned to England and died leaving no children and 120,000
                      acres to Robert. Robert had married Eleanor or Dorothy Dunn of Scotland. Little is
                      known about her. He was a member of the Virginia Houses of Burgesses, and died in
                      1748. His sons and grandchildren were connected in marriage to the Washingtons,
                      Lees and other well known families of early Virginia.
                          Nathaniel (5) and Lucy Green Pinckard had had several children who were born in
                      Virginia. We know of William Green (6), Mildred (6), Elizabeth G. (6), James Budd,
                      Jr. (6) (my direct ancestor), Charles II (6), Ann C. (Nancy) (6) who were all born in
                      Virginia, and Lucy Coleman Pinckard (6) who was born in Ohio.
                          Sometimes James Budd has a Jr. added to his name. This does not mean that his
                      father was also James Budd. It might have been another relative or friend. Sometimes
                      if there were two or three in town, they were numbered II or III no matter what their
                      relation or lack of it was.
                          In 1800 Nathaniel received a license to manufacture and retail goods in Culpeper
                      County. In 1805 or 6 after Nathaniel and Lucy's mothers had both died, they set out
                      for Ohio on the National Road. This was not an easy journey as the ruts were
                      sometimes as deep as the horses' shoulders.
                          They settled in Springfield, Clark County, Ohio, about 30 miles west of Columbus.
                      In 1808 Nathaniel was appointed Justice of the Peace. He also established the
                      educational system for Springfield and set up a school in a house on the northeast
                      corner of Main and Market Streets. This was also the meeting place for the
                      Methodists. Nathaniel continued to preach and officiate at weddings.
                           In 1819 the Pinckards moved to Alton, Illinois. It took them four weeks by wagon
                      from Ohio. There were fifteen of them as some of the older children had married and
                      had children of their own by this time. On the way west they met returning wagons of
                      Illinois settlers who warned of the miserable 'miasmas' of the 'American Bottom' in
                      Illinois, 'the graveyard of the West'. There was wonderfully rich soil on the
                      Mississippi banks which was called the American Bottom, but the floods and
                      especially the cholera brought up-river from New Orleans drove many people out.
                          On the Pinckards' arrival in the fall they lived for two months in a sixteen foot
                      square half faced camp with a hole in the roof for a chimney. They were the third
                      family to move into what is now Alton, which was at the time in litigation over
                      boundaries. The Pinckards bought lots 'in town' and built a cabin of round logs one
                      room sixteen feet square with a hewed puncheon floor and warmly chinked and
                          They moved in about Christmas, 1819, in miserable weather. On Christmas Day
                      they found a bee tree which provided much welcomed honey for their festivities.
                          In the spring of 1820 Nathaniel's (5) son, William (6) and son-in-law William
                      Heath who had married Mildred (6), established a manufacturing business of
                      household pottery from the fine lime nearby. It was very popular for at least ten to
                      fifteen years with people coming from far distances to buy their products.
                          The Pinckards' homes were meeting places for Methodists. Their pioneer circuit
                      preachers, such as famed Peter Cartwright, often preached from their porches.
                      Nathaniel himself was "a very acceptable and useful local preacher" as quoted in
                      "Methodism in Illinois". Two daughters and two granddaughters married Methodist
                      preachers. Three grandsons became Methodist ministers, though not of our James
                      Budd Pinckard (6) (JBP) line.
                            Nathaniel's son, William Green Pinckard (6), (1793-1866), was very active in
                      establishing Alton. He served as assessor, justice of the peace and coroner. He also
                      built a number of houses in the town. He and his wife, Elizabeth Warner, had
                      fourteen children, ten sons and four daughters. One son was an officer for the
                      North in the Civil War and was killed trying to escape prison camp. Another,
                      Thomas Stanton Pinckard (7), went to California in 1853 and helped put up the
                      first telegraph lines between San Francisco and Sacramento. He came back to
                      establish a print shop in Springfield, Illinois, where he was a friend and printer for
                      Abraham Lincoln. Lucy Coleman Pinckard (6) married James Moore, of one of the
                      earliest American families who had settled that part of Illinois. They were married
                      February 22, 1825. She died in Macoupin County, Illinois. My grandmother, Ione
                      Mestre Pinckard remembered visiting her when she was a little girl. Aunt Lucy
                      Moore was one of her favorites.
                           Nathaniel's wife, Lucy Green Pinckard, died in Alton in 1822. She was buried in
                      the Upper Alton Cemetery where later Nathaniel and JBP's toddler daughter, Lucy
                      Green Pinckard (7), were also buried.
                          In 1823 Nathaniel married Mary Garretson Amos, the widow of a Methodist
                      minister, Abraham Amos. Mary (sometimes called Polly) was believed to be the first
                      American baby to have been born in Illinois territory. Her father, James Garretson
                      (1746-ca. 1797) served in the Virginia militia under General George Rogers Clark in
                      the Illinois and Indiana territory. This military group had a great deal to do with
                      winning the American Revolutionary War as they kept the British busy in the west
                      while General Washington and his soldiers were taking care of the east.
                           In 1780 James returned to Liberty, Virginia (near what is now Wheeling, West
                      Virginia), for his wife, Isabella Kyle, and their four small children, including a new
                      baby. They joined several militia friends and purchased flatboats in western
                      Pennsylvania. The flatboats, were known as arks because of what they carried and
                      were 30 to 40 feet long and up to 12 feet wide. The settlers, with their personal
                      belongings rode under the roofs constructed over the middle of the decks. The
                      cooking was done there. On the open decks were the wagons, carts, plows, spinning
                      wheels, cattle, horses, sheep, hogs and provisions. A railing protected the cargo.
                           The men, all experienced fighters, were always on the alert for Indians and
                      carried a large supply of arms and ammunition. They kept to the middle of the river
                      and floated silently down the Ohio.
                          While it was a difficult trip they didn't encounter any Indians or pirates, or get
                      snagged on rocks which was a common occurrence on this kind of trip. When they
                      got to Kaskaskia in Illinois territory, which was still officially part of Virginia, they
                      loaded all the belongings on the wagons and headed north until they came to the
                      ruins of an old French fort at Bellefontaine. Bellefontaine is now called Waterloo in
                      Monroe County, Illinois and was named for a beautiful spring that gushed from the
                      ground and is still active. They immediately began rebuilding the fort and were snug
                      in their new home before the winter of 1781-82. They were among the first eighty
                      American families to arrive there and they settled in the present county of Monroe,
                      southeast of Alton in Bellefontaine.
                           James' wife, Isabella Kyle, came from a family who had lived for centuries in
                      south western Scotland, migrated to Belfast, Ireland about 1650 and then to
                      Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, before 1720.
                          James and Isabella's oldest daughter was Jane, who was married in 1792 to
                      Benjamin Ogle, Jr., one of the founding American families in that area of Illinois.
                      Their second daughter, Sarah Garretson, married John Moredock in Monroe
                      County. They had six sons and two daughters. John hated Indians with such a
                      passion, he killed many of them. This was because as he, his brother, father and
                      mother were coming to Illinois territory, his father was killed in front of their eyes
                      while they hid. His mother was married three more times and within weeks or a
                      few months of each marriage, Indians killed each husband. Of one husband,
                      though, John said that if the Indians hadn't killed him, he might have. John's mother
                      was killed in an ambush on the way back to Kentucky. John Moredock was very
                      large, over six feet. He was a mass of contradictions according to one historian.
                      "His friends described him as benevolent, his family must have found him impos-
                      sible and Indians knew him as the deadliest enemy in Illinois country."
                          James and Isabella's other children were: James who married Mary Carr and had
                      nine children, Isabella, who was born in 1780 shortly before the Garretsons left
                      Virginia, and who married Paul Kingston, and Mary (my direct ancestor) who was
                      born August 5, 1782 in St. Claire County, Illinois Territory.
                          Mary (sometimes listed as Polly) married Abraham Ditto Amos (1779-1818) in
                      1810 in Cahokia, Illinois. Abraham was the son of Nicholas Day Amos and
                      Christiana Ditto (a name which has caused no end of trouble to genealogists).
                      Christiana's family had come to Baltimore County, Maryland, from England before
                      1701. Abraham was born in Harford, Maryland, the great grandson of William Amos
                      who was born in England about 1690. He came to Baltimore County and in 1715
                      bought 200 acres of land. By the time of his death in 1759 he owned 1300 acres in
                      that county.
                          Abraham's grandmother, Elizabeth Day, was the granddaughter of Nicholas Day,
                      Sr. who bound himself into service to come to Maryland in l658 from England. He
                      soon became a prosperous tobacco grower and moved to Baltimore County in 1693.
                      Later the Amoses and some of the other families moved to Washington County,
                      Maryland, and by 1800 they had moved to Bourbon County, Kentucky. Large
                      families and bad debts had eaten up the family heritage.
                           Nicholas Day Amos and James Garretson are the Revolutionary War ancestors
                      in my direct Pinckard line. Nicholas was appointed ensign to the militia by the
                      Maryland House of Delegates on April 9, 1778, and guarded the shoreline of
                      Chesapeake Bay.
                           Abraham was received as a Methodist circuit preacher for Tennessee, Kentucky,
                      Illinois, Ohio and Mississippi. He was described as man of "small gifts and illiterate".
                      But he learned to read and write and was later described as a "large muscular man,
                      very vehement in voice and gesture", who occasionally broke the pulpit while
                      preaching. He was also described as a "man of sterling worth sustaining a good
                      Christian and ministerial character as long as he lived". The Pinckards surely
                      thought well of him as several of their children were named Abram or Abraham.
                          Abraham became a member of the Illinois Territorial Legislature and a judge. He
                      was very much against Illinois Territory becoming a slave state though he was
                      considered more moderate than some of the anti-slavery people. His brother-in-law,
                      James Garretson, Jr., also a member of the Legislature, wanted to go to war over the
                      issue immediately.
                         Abraham and Mary Garretson Amos had five children: Isabella (1811-1864) who
                      married James Budd Pinckard; Sally, (1812-1813), William Burke (1814-), George
                      Washington (1816-), and Abraham Garretson Amos born after his father's death in
                      1818. As one can tell from the names of his two older sons, Abraham read in the
                      classics and much admired our first President. He left a will very carefully detailing
                      just how Mary should dispose of their property in Monroe County with special
                      arrangements for educating their children. In 1823 Nathaniel Pinckard married Mary
                      Garretson Amos and took in the whole family, children ages four to twelve.
                          Mary's father and mother, James and Isabella Kyle Garretson, arrived in Illinois
                      Territory very early. Life was very hard. The settlers fell trees and built log cabins
                     14' by 16' without glass, nails, hinges or locks. They built chinked fireplaces on one
                      end of the building. The ceilings were covered with pelts: raccoons, possum and
                      wolf. They used greased paper for windows. Horse collars were sometime plaited
                      corn husks. They wore homemade wool hats and moccasins made of deerskin.
                      Shoes and packs were made of tanned leather. Most people went barefooted and
                      the men wore blue lindsey (wool and linen) hunting shirts. The Americans also
                      wore white blanket coats patterned after the French. By 1818 however, factory
                      made goods began to come in through Kentucky and up the Mississippi River.
                         The Indians were a problem to the settlers just as the settlers were certainly a
                      problem to the Indians. Not all the Indians hated the whites and the British did a
                      lot to stir up hatred for Americans.
                        Children were kidnapped including the nieces of James Garretson. They were
                      returned after two years and within a year their father, Samuel, was killed by
                      ambush in a field where he and James were haying. James was very nearly killed,
                      but was able to run the hay wagon into the stockade. James died sometime around
                      1797, "honest, upright, an excellent soldier and put to the test with all the Indian
                      skirmishes". He refused all political offices and left several hundred acres in Short
                      Creek (West) Virginia and in Illinois to his family.
                          James was a close friend of Judge Shadrach Bond, Sr., whose nephew, Shadrach
                      Bond, Jr., became one of the first governors of Illinois. Judge Bond was very highly
                      thought of and an officer with General George Rogers Clark. He was a handsome,
                      blond man who was well educated and who in the worse of circumstances managed
                      to keep himself clean and well groomed, not an easy feat on the frontier.
                          James' widow, Isabella, married Judge Bond about 1804 and she died in 1819. In
                      1824 Mary Garretson Amos' daughter, Isabella, and Nathaniel Pinckard's son, James
                      Budd, were married. The first of their fifteen children, Mary Jane (7), arrived in 1828
                      and Abram (7) was born 18 months later. James Budd Pinckard moved his growing
                      family to Section 24 of Piasa Township, Jersey County, just northwest of Brighton,
                      Illinois in the fall of 1830. This was a time known as the "Big Snow" when it started
                      snowing on December 15 and snowed for five days straight, leaving drifts of fifteen
                      feet and several feet of snow on the level. It did not melt until late February. JBP and
                      Isabella's third child, Lucy Green (7), was born in the middle of January.
                         James Budd Pinckard was a very successful farmer. In 1850 the census shows his
                      farm to be one of the three most valuable in Piasa Township. It and one other were
                      listed at $4,000, while the most valuable was worth $10,000, a great deal of money in
                      those days. Later James Budd Pinckard built a home that Ione M. Pinckard
                      remembered visiting as a child. It was large and had a porch running all the way
                      around it. There were three large chimneys which had small rooms built in back of
                      them secret rooms for slaves from the Underground Railway. Ione M. Pinckard said
                      James Budd Pinckards's brothers bought runaway slaves from swampy areas in
                      Missouri across the Mississippi River below Alton where James B. Pinckard would
                      pick them up in hay wagons, hide them in one of the six chimney rooms and take
                      them to Joilet where they were sent to friends in Canada.
                           The James B. Pinckard home was a hospitable place. Various relatives and others
                      lived with them as well as their own children:
                           Mary Jane - 1829-75  married Nealy Cunningham - 3 children.
                           Abram F. - 1829-51
                           William A. - 1834-1887  married a Johnson - 3 sons
                           Elizabeth M. - 1836-1888 - married William Cunningham - four children
                           James N. - 1838-1839
                           George R. - 1840-1899 - married Elizabeth J. Gilman - 3 children.
                      George was a Civil War veteran, wounded at the Battle of Shiloh and a prisoner in
                      Andersonville, Georgia, for six months.
                           James Budd III - 1842-1906 - married Emily Brown, guardian of Grace Ione
                      Mestre, Civil War veteran, wounded in the hours just after peace was signed.
                           Charles H - 1844-1879 - Civil War Veteran.
                           Hobart - 1844-1844 - twin of Charles.
                           Baby girl - 1846.
                           Nathaniel Heath (7) 1847-1923 - married Elizabeth McCurdy.  Two sons: Joseph
                       A. Pinckard (8) and John who died in infancy.
                           Lewis - 1849-49.
                           Rebecca Isabella - 1851-1861.
                           Horatio N. - 1854-55.
                           James Budd Pinckard was a very private person, hiding his emotions, and a
                      soft-spoken man. He showed a charming personality, though he was very set in his
                      ways according to his handwriting. He was a decisive man and committed to doing
                      'the right thing". Isabella was a cheerful openhearted woman who like to sing and
                      who was very religious but not insufferably so. She was an invalid at the end of her
                      life and died January 23, 1864.
                           James Budd Pinckard married Betsy Bean, a widow, in the late 1860's or early
                      1870's. She died during the 1870's. In the 1880 census James B. Pinckard was listed
                      as widowed and living on his farm with William Bean, his wife and four children.
                      James Budd Pinckard died April 5, 1890, with angina pectoris listed as the cause of
                      death. He was buried in the large Pinckard plot in Brighton cemetery.

                           Nathaniel Heath Pinckard, Joseph A. Pinckard, my mother, Elizabeth Ione
                      Pinckard are my Pinckard line.

                           Some sources: On the early Pinckards: Wm. & Mary Quarterly, Vol 12, 1st Ser.
                      Pg. 262, and other VA early history, Methodist church records, early Ill. History.
                      Early Springfield, Ohio records, censuses, etc. etc. Alan Eckert's historical book,
                      unfortunately I can't find the name right now, is excellent reading and tells a lot about
                      life in that time and about Gen. George Rogers Clark and his men.
                          Carl Baldwin's book, "Echoes of Their Voices", as I wrote before, has a lot about
                      the Moores, but really got my ancestors mixed up.

                                    Dottie Keegan received this information April 02, 2001 from:
                                    Ione McFarland Larson