Search billions of records on


Updated: 2/02/09

I have created this page to post genealogical information passed down to me from my father that I received in a combination of typed and hand written papers. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of these documents since the information the writers received were by word of mouth and their own personal life experiences. I can tell you however that these were good outstanding Christian women of stature who have recorded Durham family genealogical information
of their own accord to be passed down to future generations. The following documents were transcribed in Microsoft Word format by myself so I could post them on the internet for family and genealogical research. The following documents were written by
Miss Marion Durham and Lutie M. Durham

Donald Durham


Please Email me if you find errors


Latest News


I have added more family names to the family database.
One particular name of note was that of John Tharp, who
was a renowned surveyor during the late 1700's and early
1800's. He resided in Fairfield county, S.C. "John Allen Tharp
was apparently a prolific surveyor. In the South Carolina Archives
there are 36 surveys performed by John A. Tharp
from 1810 to 1823. These were mostly performed in
Fairfield County SC and only one in Newberry County SC."
His most well-known work was a map of Fairfield, S.C. published
in 1825 by Mills Atlas. This map has been used extensively for
historical research and was used by the North and South during
the Civil War.


Historical Durham Relatives

Click the link above to visit the current Durham/ Riley Genealogy database.
Note: Please read the notes when researching family names I am currently
updating the database with source information for verification.
(This database is subject to update without notice to maintain accuracy.)

Picture of the moment


William and Anna (Cuttino) McNulty








Captain Charnel Hightower Durham
(1753- 1836)

      Captain Charnel Durham, the subject of this sketch, was born in Virginia, and of English ancestry. Prior to the breaking out of the Revolutionary War, he married Miss Nancy Eckles, of Virginia, and immigrated to South Carolina, settling in Fairfield County, near the source of Dutchman’s Creek. Here he devoted himself to the cultivation of lands, and to the various duties that confront the settler in a new country, until the cry to arms against British oppression and cruelty resounded throughout the Colonies. Whereupon, determining to sacrifice any and everything in his country's struggle which was truly and emphatically said “to have tried men’s souls”, he was ever at his post, battling for his country’s rights with a patriotism that never faltered, and a devotion that knew no diminution. Many are the anecdotes that the written qualities of this meager memoir has heard in his boyhood days, illustrative of his soldierly qualities and the readiness with which he undertook any duty. On one occasion it became necessary for his commander to send a dispatch. The undertaking was a hazardous one, as the bearer must pass through the British outposts. The commander therefore called for volunteers, when Capt. Durham came forward and signified his willingness to undertake the mission. Mounted upon a fleet steed, with his dispatch securely concealed about his person he set out under cover of night to execute his perilous errand. Fortunately, just as he approached the outposts, a heavy rain began to fall. When the pickets withdrew to seek shelter he passed through their lines, delivering his dispatch in safety. His horse’s tracks had not filled when the pickets resumed their post. At another time he was taken prisoner by a body of British and Tories. His rifle was taken from him by a Tory whom he knew. Capt. Durham told him to take good care of it, as it was his favorite gun. The Tory asked him if he ever expected to be allowed to carry a gun again. “Yes”, replied Capt. Durham, “When you will not be allowed to carry even a riding switch.” They then hurried him off to their camp. Mrs. Durham, learning of her husband’s capture and whereabouts, mounted her horse and taking her year-old baby in her arms, set out to visit him. The distance was ten miles. When she reached the camp, a ring was made around Capt. Durham. His wife was not allowed to enter it, and brought in to him. Taking it upon his knee, he fondled and played with it a while, then rose up and carried it out to its mother, in spite of their threats, telling her to go home and never to come to visit him again while he was a prisoner. Her horse was taken from her, and she had to make the journey home afoot, carrying her child. Subsequently, Capt. Durham was carried to Charleston where, after remaining a prisoner for thirteen months, he and others were placed aboard a vessel to be transported to Halifax. This vessel was lying at anchor a few miles from Charleston, and it was intended to make sail on the following morning. Sometime during the night Capt. Durham heard something striking against the side of the vessel, which, upon examination, he found a small boat. Quietly awaking two of his fellow-prisoners, to whom he made known his discovery, they determined to affect their escape. Noiselessly and without being seen, they clambered down the side of the vessel and into the little boat. Quickly seizing the oars, they gently plied them until they felt themselves beyond the reach of alarm, then with strong arms made stronger by the hope of liberty they pulled for the shore. This they reached before dawn and, upon landing, found themselves in a marsh. Here they held a consultation to determine upon their best course of further procedure. Agreeing that the chances of ultimate escape would be best sub served thereby, they decided to separate and that each one should make his way back as best he could alone. What became of his comrades, the writer is unable to say he does not even know their names, though he thinks one of them was a Mr. Heyward. After years it was learned that one of the names was Hightower and they made an agreement that they would name one of their descendants for each other so they would know they got away safely. Years later they heard of Durham Hightower in Georgia. Capt. Durham, not having any more children had his grandson named Charnel Hightower Durham.

     Capt. Durham himself, however, after a toilsome journey of some weeks, concealing him by day and traveling by night, reached home and rejoined his command, where he continued actively to serve his country until her independence was assured and peace proclaimed. Then returning to his farm he there spent his remaining days amid the quietude of his rural home and the endearments of the domestic circle, dying only after he had transcended man’s allotted time of three score and ten years. His wife survived him two years. Their remains were interred within the garden adjoining the family mansion.

    I may not be out of place to add just here that after the close of the war Capt. Durham recovered his rifle, and went to kill the Tory who had dispossessed him of it at the time of his capture. The Tory saw him coming, jumped into his bed and feigned sickness. Capt. Durham walked into his bedroom, showed him his rifle, asked him if he knew it, and then told him the purpose of his visit was to kill him. The Tory begged most piteously for his life. His little children, too, entreated Capt. Durham to spare their father, telling him that their mother had died the day before. Capt. Durham possessed a heart too tender to be unmoved by the tears and prayers of innocent childhood and so spared their father, though he had just cause of vengeance, for this Tory belonged to a band who, during the war, had robbed and otherwise maltreated his wife.

    Of the family of Capt. Charnel Durham there were two sons, John and Robert Winfield, and one daughter, Lucretia. Robert Winfield married Miss Molsey Ross, of Fairfield, and Lucretia married Mr. John Ford, also of Fairfield.

He was a captain in the Revolutionary War. He enlisted July 1, 1774 and served for three years under Thomas Woodward, Richard Winn and Frank
Boykin in Col William Thompson's South Carolina Rangers. After this, and while engaged in recruiting service, he was captured in the spring of 1780 by the Tories and imprisoned at Charleston, South Carolina. While waiting on a prison ship to sail for Nova Scotia he made his escape 13
months later. In 1781 he served for 3 months as Captain of the militia under Col William Bratton, and 3 months as Captain under Col John Pearson
(Military Records, Bureau of Pensions - V.L.M. - W.F. 9418).
Source: John Crow and Faye Woodward


John Durham

    John Durham was the oldest of Capt. Charnel Durham’s children. He was a gentleman of culture and intelligence, received a legal training and began the practice of his profession in the town of Winnsboro. About the year 1806 he was married to Cynthia, one of the three daughters of John and Esther Woodward of Fairfield. His wedded life was a brief one, his wife dying in a year from their marriage, leaving an infant son, John Woodward Durham. Mr. Durham was absent in Charleston on business at the time of her death. The loss of his young bride, whom he loved with all the warmth and devotion of a noble and affectionate nature, was to him a crushing blow indeed. A deep and settled gloom seized upon him, and, though at the advice of friends, he tried, amid change of scenery and new faces, to shake it off, yet these brought no balm to his wounded spirit. As a result his own health rapidly declined, and in twelve months from her departure he too, was sleeping beside her in the grave. Their bodies rest in the Woodward family cemetery, under plain mounds of earth, without tombstones or inscriptions.

John Woodward Durham

     John Woodward Durham, the only son and child of John and Cynthia Durham, of Fairfield, was born on the 2nd day of December, 1807. Having been left an orphan in his infancy, Aunt Mary Lyles (Marion), daughter of John and Esther Woodward and wife of Maj. Thomas Lyles of Fairfield, took charge of him. Under her careful supervision and training he remained for some years, and afterwards was under the guardianship of his grandfather, Capt. Charnel Durham, until he arrived at manhood’s estate. Having inherited a competent fortune, he now took its management into his own hands, devoting himself to the life of a planter. On the 19th day of March, 1829, he was married to Miss Margaret Daniel Turner. Her father was William Turner. He came from Fredericksburg, V.A. to Fairfield and settled near Rocky Creek. Her mother was Charlotte Woodward. She was the daughter of Rev. William Woodward, whose wife was a Miss Nancy Barrett, a lady of Huguenot extraction and of much culture and polish.

    As few incidents, worthy of recital, are likely to occur in the quiet and un-obtrusive life that of a farmer chosen by the subject we are sketching, we have none to record. Suffice it to say that John Woodward Durham was a good citizen, a man of strict honor and rectitude, and that in these respects he was swayed by principle and not opinion. In all the relations of life, he exhibited those noble and unseen qualities of heart and mind, which, if more generally emulated by mankind, would make this a better and happier world. A prominent feature of his character was his fondness for his kindred, whether near or remote. He belonged to that old school of gentlemen, now almost extinct, who have been noted for their genuine hospitality and true politeness. His death occurred on the 21st day of January, 1858, in the fifty-first year of his age. He sleeps in the Woodward Cemetery. A tombstone, erected by his wife, who still survives, marks the spot. John Woodward, Charlotte Ellen, Francis Marion, Mary Lois, Eliza Woodward and Margaret Ella. Cynthia Elizabeth married Dr. Samuel W. Bookhart of Richland County. William Strother married Miss Martha Marvin McNulty of Georgetown, S.C.; John Woodward, Jr. (now deceased) married Miss Mary Mobley of Chester County; Charlotte Ellen married Mr. G.A. Woodward, of Talladega, Ala.; Francis Marion never married, but was killed in the late war, near Spotsylvania court house, V.A. ; in the 21st year of his age; Mary Lois married Mr. William Eugene McNulty of Georgetown, S.C.; Eliza Woodward married Capt. J.L. Wardlaw of Edgefield County; Margaret Ella married A.J. Lamar of Fairfield.

Copied from the News and Herald of Winnsboro, S.C. dated April 9, 1901.

Captain Charnel Durham of Revolutionary Fame

His Myrtle Covered Mound near Ridgeway

    The subject of this subject of this sketch is interred in the old family burial ground below Winnsboro, near Ridgeway. The property is now in the possession of a Mr. Bulow. At the time of disposing of their property the family reserved the right to their graveyard. It is in a stone’s throw of the “big spring” that is the head waters of Big Dutchman’s Creek. The graves are enclosed by a stone wall. On the outside of the wall a deep ditch is dug, rather circular form. The bottom and sides are well matted with myrtle, giving to it the beautiful appearance of a huge green trough. A mantle of myrtle lies tenderly on the graves as though to adorn homes of the dead who sleep beneath. The wall was built and the ditch dug sixty years ago. And not a stone is displaced and no gully or wash from the trench kept intact by the myrtle which is like the ivy that creepeth o’er ruins of old, creeping where no life is seen. It is a beautiful spot semi-circled by a fringe of original forest. It was, in olden time, a part of the garden where so many of the oldest inhabitants were accustomed to bury their dead. On the hill rising above the burial ground is the site where the old Durham house stood.

    On Capt. Durham’s tomb the following epitaph:

     “In Memory of Capt. Charnel Durham, an officer and soldier of the American Revolution. Born 2nd July 1754, died 13th April 1836. Aged 81 years, 9 mo., 11 days.

    The companion grave is that of his wife, Nancy Winfield Eckles. Nearby are the graves of his son and his grandson, Robert Winfield and Joel Ross.

    A few miles distant the Woodward's and Durham's lie interred in the Woodward burial ground just below Winnsboro. Seeming to stand as sentinel is the famous Anvil rock easily seen to the right from the car window as you go south after leaving Winnsboro.

     The first of the Durham's to arrive in this country came in the ship Confidence arriving at Old Point or Jamestown in 1721. Some of them settled in Folkstone County, Virginia. I do not know whether Capt. Durham’s descendants claim descent from his source or not. Capt. Durham and his wife were both Virginians. Mrs. Durham was a near relative of Gen. Winfield Scott. Capt. Durham served in the Third South Carolina regiment commanded by Col. William Thompson. He enlisted July 24, 1776. Capt. Durham had three children. John Durham married Cynthia Woodward, granddaughter of Thomas Woodward, known in history as the Regulator. Robert Winfield married a daughter of Judge Abner Ross. I heard a descendant of Judge Ross claim for him the distinction of being the first judge to preside in Fairfield. Lucretia married John Ford, son of Nathaniel Ford, who came from Carolina County, Virginia.

    A legend quaint and curious is told of how John Ford won the everlasting regard of his father-in-law. For some reason Capt. Durham and his wife refused to sanctify the marriage of their daughter and a coolness existed for years after she left her father’s roof to be the wife of the man of her choice. Time proved that Lucretia was a better judge on this occasion than her father.

    Many years after the war of the revolution the patriots gave a barbecue. Into their midst and uninvited there came the young son of a hated Tory. Capt. Durham, then an old man, challenged his rights to be present. The young Tory replied insulting language and it soon became apparent that a desperate combat was about to take place. Just then John Ford, well matching the Tory in courage and strength, ran up. He suddenly interposed himself between his father-in-law and the Tory, striking the latter full in the face. The fight between them is represented as terrible. They dealt each other blow after blow. At last they grappled, each trying to hurl the other down the deep rocky hillside on which they fought. At last John Ford, fearing his strength was ebbing as the two were locked in each other’s arms, were swaying to and fro, suddenly dug his teeth into the cheek of his adversary and tore from it a bleeding morsel of flesh. The agonized Tory dropped his antagonist at least he tried to do so. John Ford conquered not only the Tory, but his father-in-law.

    Capt. Durham once fought a Tory on the banks of a river, the Tory sprang into the water, Capt. Durham followed him. They stabbed at each other with their knives, a trail of blood followed them. The Tory was never seen again, Capt. Durham walked the face of the globe for many years afterward. Once his Commander, wishing to send a dispatch to another American officer, called for volunteers. Of the five who offered themselves, Capt. Durham was chosen. He had to pass through British lines. The undertaking was perilous. Just before he reached the British outposts a sudden heavy rain descending probably saved his life. The acting picket at the time was a British officer, seeing the rain coming up he ran into a house nearby to get his coat. As he did so, Capt. Durham dashed by. When the officer returned the horse’s tracks were not filled and were plainly visible.

     After the war at a dinner in Charleston the officer who had been detained there for some cause, related this story and ended by saying, “Before leaving America I wish I could meet that man.” Capt. Durham arose, “I am the man”, he said. He and the officer took each other by the hand as if no bloody strife had ever been between them.

Aug. 10, 1901                                                            Ms. Marion Mobley Durham

Note:  Updated: 10/18/04
After a number of years I decided to perform genealogy research in an effort to verify as much of the family memoirs as possible. My
ultimate goal was not to disprove or approve any of the content of these memoirs, it was merely an effort to verify as much of the historical
facts as possible. With the exception of some simple misspelling of names the genealogical information appears to be correct for the most
part. Concerning the stories of Captain Charnel Durham it will probably never be known whether these were historical facts or Durham family tales told around a warm fire on a cold winter's night. The stories concerning Captain Charnel Durham may have come from William Ederington since it was a known fact that William Ederington's father ".....volunteered (Revolutionary Soldier) at the age of sixteen under Captain Charnel Durham..."(Ederington's History of Fairfield, p.67)  These stories were most likely passed down to William Ederington from his father.

    1- Captain Charnel Durham came to Fairfield, S.C. from Virginia in 1721 with his wife Nancy Eckles (Genealogical Archives)
    2- The location of Charnel Durham's Cemetery is 100% accurate and still exists today. (Personally verified)
    3- I have nearly completed family genealogical research on the family members mentioned in the memoirs and I'm very pleased with the
        accuracy of the information contained within these sketches, although just a couple remain unproven. (10/18/04)
    4- Thanks to Doris Ross Johnston for noting the error of the Marriage of Robert Winfield Durham to Mary Ross should be Molsey Ross
        according to the archived will of Abner Ross on her site.
    5- Note that Marion Durham mentions a Hightower Durham of Georgia as being the possible origin of the Hightower name. This wouldn't be
        correct, since the mother of Captain Charnel Durham is Sarah Hightower. Let's remember that information was usually passed in many times
        in those days by word of mouth and the name Hightower was probably confused in the translation.
    6- Part of this memoir was obtained from William Ederington's History of Fairfield which was published around 1901 in the Winnsboro News
        and Herald. This collection of memoirs was eventually published in book form around 1960.
    7- I have recently purchased a soft back version of William Ederington's History of Fairfield and discovered that it does not contain the
        news articles from April 9th nor August 10th, 1901 so I was unable to compare the original articles to these memoirs.
    8- The original memoir mentions a Nancy Barett. The actual spelling of the last name is "Barrett".
    9- The full name of a "G.A. Woodward" mentioned in this memoir is "Gustavus Aldolphus Woodward" of Winnsboro, Fairfield, S.C.
         Thanks to other family researchers and the 1880 United States Census of Selma, Dallas, Alabama I have added this family to the
         genealogy database. The memoir states that G.A. Woodward is ".....of Talladega, Alabama" which would be correct since census records
         indicate that this family moved from Fairfield, S.C. to the vicinity of Talladega, Alabama between 1836- 1847 and at the time this memoir
         was written they were residing near Talladega. (10/18/04)
    10- The full name of  an "A.J. Lamar" mentioned in this memoir is "Abraham Jones Lamar". Thanks to the hard work of the Lamar family
          researchers I have added this family to the database. (10/18/04)
     11- The full name of Capt. J. L. Wardlaw is James Lewis Wardlaw who married Eliza Woodward Durham Dec. 18th, 1873 Fairfield, S.C.
           "Genealogy of the Wardlaw Family" by Judge Joseph G. Wardlaw, page 93: (11/18/04)
     12- I have spent many hours of research in an attempt to verify the relationship between Nancy Winfield Eckles and General Winfield Scott,
           unfortunately there seems to be very little genealogical information on General Winfield Scott on the web. (10/18/04)

     13- (02/06/07) I've come across a pension statement taken from Captain Charnel Durham at age 79 after the Revolutionary War. The stories
            within this statement seem to coincide with the family memoirs. The recorder of the statement notes that Capt. Durham was sick at this time
            suffering from some unknown illness or age related disease. The full statement was added to the Captain Charnel Durham history page.  



Major Willaim Strother Durham

    William Strother Durham was born May 16, 1835 in Fairfield County, state of South Carolina. He attended school at Shirley’s Institute, Fairfield Co., conducted by John R. Shirley, and from this institute entered South Carolina College in the fall of 1853, graduating June 1856 with an A.B. Degree. He was a member of the Euphradian Literary Society. He taught in the rural schools for two years, prior to the war. At the beginning of the war he enlisted in the Fairfield Fencibles and several months later became a member of the Congaree Troop, which became part of the Hampton Legion Cavalry.  At the reorganization of the army in the second year of the war, this cavalry was increased to a regiment, known as the Second South Carolina Cavalry, M.C. Butler, Colonel. The Company of which he was a member was known as Company H. He served in this regiment till the close of the war.

     After the war he began teaching again and continued in this profession for about twenty-two years, teaching in the Blythewood Female College, Blythewood, S.C., West Point Male Academy and Sumter Graded Schools. His health failing, he retired in 1882 to his old home in Fairfield County and began farming, where he lived till his death on the 22nd of Nov. 1909. (He is buried in the Cemetery of Sandy Level Babtist Church, Blythewood, S.C.)

     "I enlisted in Winnsboro in 1861 in the Fairfield Fencible, commanded by Capt. James H. Rion, afterwards Col. We were drilled here for several weeks and then ordered to Charleston, arriving there the evening before the bombardment of Fort Sumter. Here we received arms, then we were aroused at the firing of the first gun on Fort Sumter and double quicked down to the wharf where we were put aboard a steam boat and conveyed to Battery Point on the Stono River. Here we remained for a number of weeks, drilling every day and doing sentinel and picket duty. Our Company, with a number of other independent companies, was put together, forming the Sixth South Carolina Infantry, of which our Captain became Colonel. Lieutenant John Bratton succeeded him as Captain. After staying at Battery Point for a number of weeks we were ordered to Summerville; while here there arose some dissatisfaction toward Col. Rion and he resigned the colonelcy and I, with a number of his friends, quit the regiment and enlisted in the Congaree Troop, formed in Columbia and commanded by Capt. Thomas Taylor. We were soon ordered to Virginia where we were put into camp of instruction at Ashland. Here were drilled every day by officers who had received their training at United States Military Academy, at West Point. After drilling here for a number of weeks in saber exercises and cavalry tactics we were ordered on to join the army, where we became part of the Hampton Legion Cavalry and here our soldier’s life began in earnest, doing camp and out-post duty and scouting. This life grew more and more arduous and strenuous as time advanced. I was in the Battle of Seven Pines Seven Days’ Fight around Richmond, Brandy Station, Gettysburg and Stuart’s Raid into Pennsylvania. (Father dictated of a few lines. He was very modest in every respect and cared nothing for publicity. You will notice that he says that he was taught at West Point Male Academy {West Point and Sumter Graded Schools. He was President of the Academy and Supt. of the Sumter Graded Schools."(Major William S. Durham)

    The Durham's were all Baptists as far back as I know about it. In Fairfield’s County we attended Poplar Springs Baptist Church [No longer there]. Father was senior deacon and teacher of the Bible class [Composed of men and women]. Usually, we had family prayers when we were growing up and I remember that he often asked God to help us to live that when we reached the end of our earthly journey we could say with Paul, “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” Timothy 4:7

                                                                                   Ms. Lutie McNulty Durham

Note: 10/07/04- I have confirmed Major William Strother Durham's ranking in the Last Muster Call to be Sergeant, however this does not mean
he was never promoted to Major. I was told that everyone referred to him as Major Durham. My father believes he may have been a Sergeant-Major
and people believed he was a major.

Francis Marion Durham

"..never married, but was killed in the late war near the
Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia, in the 21st year of his age.." The
News and Herald of Winnsboro, S. C. dated April 9, 1901.


This picture of the Durham Plantation was provided to me by Chris Durham (Many thanks Chris!!!)
I have visited the location that this plantation once existed and found no traces of any of the structures
illustrated in this photo. I have been told by my father that the Plantation house burned down many
years ago. I did however receive an email from a descendant of Mr. Robert Davis who informed me
that one of the Tenant buildings is still there.

This is a close up picture of the Plantation house that was built by William S. Durham
that burned down years ago.

Below is an article that was posted in the Charlotte Observer in 1971. I have re-written the article in Word format
so that I could post it on the internet for other family members to read.


Article Title:
The Old Mansion Knew The Life Of A Bygone Era

By Bob Dennis
Observer Rock Hill Bureau

     Ridgeway, S.C.- There is a faint music about the place, an old refrain in the wind that blows across the fields up the rise around the house, moving the vines growing on the pillars and the hay that lays in clumps on the veranda by the front door. In the air there is a low singing from the fields, a sound of creaking cavalry saddles and voices of soldiers in blue. In the exhausted days of the War between the States, Gen. William T. Sherman stayed there on his way north from Columbia. His troops looted and burned, leaving a bitter legacy and memories of Southern women scurrying among the Yankee tents on the lawn to gather discarded ears of corn for the children.

    William S. Durham, Descendant of C. Hightower Durham of England, Virginia and the Revolutionary War, built the place in 1848. He grew cotton, raised children, rode his fields and rocked on his veranda until he went away to war.

    When it was over, he came back. The Durham place slowly awoke. The cotton again grew green in the summer and white in the fall. Durham children studied their primers on the third floor, romped on the wide heart-of-pine floors and slid down the solid cherry banister. Children and grandchildren grew up and moved away. Some like Dr. William Durham, today a 63-year-old dentist, moved to Columbia where they still live. The place passed out of the hands of the Durham's into the Owens family and then to Ernest Crawford of Winnsboro. Crawford raised cattle on the place and after a day of business in Winnsboro, would drive out to the old plantation, get on a horse and ride across the fields. Crawford died in 1969. The place passed to his heirs. One of them is Mrs. Forest Hughes of Winnsboro.

     “It’s almost a chore now to keep the place up,” Mrs. Hughes said. “You can’t find anyone to help. It’s getting so we don’t know what to do. We may have to get rid of it.”

     The old place, a lonely windswept storage house for hay heaped to the tops of the first-floor windows, is vacant except for 76-year-old Robert Davis, who lives in an old tenant house facing up the rise. Davis hunts squirrels in the woods and dozes in a rocking chair by an open window. He is a retired tenant farmer and a veteran of “the World War One Army.” He is also the “onliest somebody left on this great plantation.” The front of his house has been decorated by his children with a pop-art exhibition of beer calendars, political posters, a fluorescent light tube, a Christmas bow, a pair of gloves, a whiskbroom and a package of cellophane-wrapped spaghetti. The decorations hang in casual un-artful balance, the deteriorating leavings of a new civilization. And up the rise is the decaying grandeur of another civilization a pillared mansion filled with hay and with the faint music of a time and a life that have gone forever.



Doris Ross Johnston genealogy
Related to the Durham's
(Special thanks to Doris because her research provided me with many
Durham relatives that I did not have previously listed)

Historical Durham Relatives

Captain Thomas Woodward The Regulator
(Compiled historical data and stories)

Captain Charnel Hightower Durham
(Compiled historical data and stories)

Captain Thomas Woodward (The Regulator)
research by Jo Ann Cooper Killeen

Descendants of Thomas Hunt

Whitaker Family
(Durham Relatives)

Doris Ross Johnston's ancestors from Fairfield S.C.

Durham Genealogy (Durham, England on Rootsweb)

Lyles Family History Website

Fairfield Museum Home page

Mobley Home page on RootsWeb

The Mobleys and Their Connections by William Woodward Dixon

Colvin Farms Bed and Breakfast (Formerly Colvin-Fant-Durham Farms)
This home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints Homepage
(Very large genealogy search database and its free!)

Durham Genealogy  Old site news archives

General Winfield Scott
(Historical data)

The Swamp Fox
(Francis Marion)

Robert E. Lee
(A Biography)

Richard Durham's history
 of Achilles Durham