Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

 

This is a compilation of records for Killybegs Upper Parish, which forms part of the Donegal Genealogy Resources website

 

You may link to this page but not copy any of is content

 

If you have anything you'd like to add or would like to have yourself included in a Researchers section of these pages, then please Contact Me

 

 

Na Cealla Beaga Uachtaracha - Killybegs Upper

 

The parish, from which a portion has been separated to form the district parish of Ardara, is for civil purposes distinguished into Upper and Lower Killybegs. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 30,962 1/4 statute acres, of which 4304 1/4 are in that part of Lower Killybegs, which is in the barony of Boylagh; 1 l,074 1/4, including a detached portion, and 51 covered with water, are in the other part, in the barony of Bannagh; and 15,583 3/4, including 41 3/4 covered with water, are in Upper Killybegs, in the barony of Bannagh: 30,160 statute acres are applotted under the tithe act, of which about two-thirds are mountain and uncultivated land: agriculture is in a very unimproved state. The principal seats are Wood Hill, the residence of Major Nesbitt; and Fintra, of J. Hamilton, Esq. The living is a consolidated rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to 300. The church, a neat small edifice, was built on rising ground to the east of the town in 1829, at an expense of 1000. The glebe-house is of recent erection, and the glebe comprehends six townlands, comprising together 2000 Irish acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Killaghtee; the chapel here is a spacious and neat building, and there is also a chapel in Killaghtee. About 250 children are taught in two public schools, of which the parochial school is supported by an annual donation from Col. Robert-son's fund, and the other by -- Murray, Esq., of Broughton; there are also three private schools, in which are about 140 children, and a Sunday school. A small Franciscan friary was founded here by Mac Swiny Bannig, but there are no remains. Some ruins of the ancient castle of St. Catherine yet exist.

 

(Extract from A Topographical Dictionary Of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837)

 

 

Last updated 21 Apr 2013

Births, Marriages and Deaths

Census

Churches

Events

Families

Headstone Inscriptions

Land

Links

Maps

Media

Researchers

  • Cheri - Greenlaws from Roshin/Scotty's hill, Tullacullion, Killybegs and Glencolumbkille. Blains from Malinmore  & Killybegs. Morrows from Killybegs - Email
  • Glen - Greenlaw, Thompson and Watson - Email
  • Jack - Devitt, Greenlaw, Hamilton, Finison, and Stephenson of Killybegs - Email
  • Joe - McCloskey from Faiafannan - Email
  • Lyn - Dean, Dein, Dain from Killybegs - Email
  • Michelle - Hamilton and O'Donnell from Killybegs - Email - Website
  • Peter - Brown from Kilybegs - Email
  • Sarah - Brady/McBrearty from Fintragh & Murrin from Drumanoo - Email
  • Terry - Carr, Gallagher, Hagerty from Killybegs - Email

Resources

 Townlands

Townland Area
 
Aghayeevoge 346
Balbane 712
Ballyara 900
Binroe 185
Bungosteen 78
Carntullagh 217
Carrickataggart 518
Carricknagore 127
Carricknamoghil 533
Cashelcummin 44
Cornacahan 135
Corporation 358
Croaghlin 152
Crocknafeola 167
Cullion 210
Cunlin 276
Drumano 689
Drumbarity 67
Drumbeagh 75
Faiafannan 204
Fintragh 3,145
Glebe 101
Glenlee 144
Killybegs 325
Killybegs Town  
Largynagreana 101
Largysillagh 1,219
Letter 63
Meenachullalan 252
Meenaroshin 444
Meenawley 137
Meenreagh 876
Meentadun 202
Meenyhooghan 180
Roechrow 300
Roshin 344
Rotten Island 1
Stragar 908
Straleeny 58
Tawnasligo 97
Tieveskeelta 496
Tullaghacullion 176

 

 
BACK
 

Lindel Buckley

Donegal Genealogy Resources