Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

 

This is a compilation of records for Killaghtee Parish, which forms part of the Donegal Genealogy Resources website

 

You may link to this page but not copy any of is content

 

If you have anything you'd like to add or would like to have yourself included in a Researchers section of these pages, then please Contact Me

 

 

Cill Leacht Aodha - Killaghtee

 

KILLAGHTEE, a parish, in the barony of BANNAGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (E.) from Killybegs, on the north-west coast; containing, with the village of Dunkanely, 4760 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey, it comprises, with a detached portion, 13,368 statute acres, of which about half is mountain land; there is a great quantity of bog, also of coarse limestone and freestone, used for building. Within the parish is St. John's Point, on which is a lighthouse, in lat. 54 33' 15", and lon. 8 26', with a bright fixed light, 104 feet above the level of the sea at high water, and visible fourteen nautical miles. Inver bay commences at this Point, and extends to Devrin Point, and to the westward of it is Mac Swine's bay. Many of the parishioners are employed in fishing, and on the 12th of Feb., 1814, twenty fishing-boats and forty-three men were lost in a squall. The principal seats are Brucklees, the residence of Capt. Nesbit; Upper Brucklees, of A. Cassidy, Esq.; and Spa Mount, of M. Stevens, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to 260. The church is a neat building, erected in 1826, at a cost of 1000, granted by the late Board of First Fruits. There is a neat glebe-house, with a glebe of 635 acres, of which 335 are unprofitable land, and which contains a strong sulphureous spa. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Killybegs, for which a large chapel is in course of erection. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Dun-kanely. About 360 children are educated in six public schools, one of which is aided by donations from Primate Robinson's fund; and about 30 children in a private school.

 

(Extract from A Topographical Dictionary Of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837)

 

 

Last updated 21 Jun 2012

Births, Marriages and Deaths

Books

Census

Churches

Events

Families

Headstone Inscriptions

Land

Links

Maps

Media

People

Researchers

Resources

  • LDS Resources

 Townlands

Aighan   132
Ballybodonnell   184
Ballycroy   226
Ballyederlan   307
Ballyloughan   422
Ballymagowan   298
Ballysaggart   125
Balwoges   524
Beaugreen Glebe   120
Binroe   189
Bogside   35
Bruckless   219
Calhame   396
Carn Beg Glebe   58
Carn More Glebe   140
Cashelfean   279
Cashelreagh Glebe   230
Casheltown   431
Cavan   120
Corker Beg   201
Corker More   759
Croagh   1,238
Curraghafeaghan   196
Darney   402
Drumaghy   168
Druminiscal   56
Drumnasorn   67
Dunkineely   136
Dunkineely Town    
Gilbertstown   562
Green Island   2
Killaghtee   135
Killultan   192
Lisavaddy   164
Loughmuilt   467
Meenabrock   447
Meenacloy   300
Meenadreen   309
Meenagolan   183
Meentullynagarn   366
Menamny   127
Multins   468
Point   290
Rahan Far   157
Rahan Near   213
Rahanlacky   146
Tullinteane   1,011
Urbal   145

 

 
BACK
 

Lindel Buckley

Donegal Genealogy Resources