Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

 

 

This is a project started June 2005 and forms part of the Donegal Genealogy Resources Website

 You may link to this page but not copy it

If you have anything you'd like to add or would like to have yourself included in the Researchers section of these pages, then please Contact Me

 

 

Inis Caoil - Inishkeel

 

A parish, partly in the barony of BANNAGH, but chiefly in that of BOYLAGH, county of DONEGAL and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Narin or Nairn (which is separately described), 8266 inhabitants. This parish, also called Innis-Coel, derives its name from a monastery founded on an island within its limits, of which St. Conald Coel was abbot about the year 590, when he was killed by pirates. It is on the north-west coast, and is 24 miles in length and about 8 miles in breadth, comprising 102,0815 statute acres, of which 80,453 3/4 (including a detached portion) are in the barony of Boylagh, and 21,627 3/4 in that of Bannagh; 730 1/4 acres are in the tideway of the river Guibarra, and 1871 1/4 in lakes. The surface is mountainous and uneven, and the soil various; the higher grounds consist chiefly of rocky pasture; the Aghla mountain rises 1958 feet above the level of the sea, and the mountain of Portnockan contains a vein of lead ore. The island of Innis Coel, or Inniskeel, which is about a mile off the shore, comprises about 65 statute acres. On its eastern side is a good and safe harbour, called Churchpool, affording sheltered anchorage for vessels of 350 tons' burden, except in strong gales from the south-west or north-west, when a heavy sea sets in round the eastern point, sometimes breaking into the bay; the best anchorage is in the middle of the bay. Fairs are held at Fintown on May 16th, and 3rd of July, Sept., and Nov.; and it is a station of the revenue police. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £500. The glebe-house is a good residence, and the glebe comprises 40 acres, of which 12 are good arable land and 28 rocky pasture. The church was built in 1825, at an expense of £900. By act of council, in 1829, 49 townlands were severed from this parish, and 38 from that of Killybegs, to form the district curacy of Ardara. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains two chapels, situated respectively at Glentis and Fintown. There is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. About 100 children are taught in two public schools, of which the parochial school is partly supported from Col. Robertson's fund; and there are two private schools, in which are about 60 children. There are some remains of the monastery on the island of Inniscoel, consisting chiefly of the ruins of the church, near which is a well, dedicated to St. Conald Coel, to which numbers resort annually.

 

(Extract from A Topographical Dictionary Of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837)

 

 

Last Updated 11 Aug 2013

Births, Marriages and Deaths

Census

Census Notes

Churches

Families

Famous Writers & Storytellers

Headstone Inscriptions

Land

Links

Maps

Media

Records & Registers

Researchers

  • Andrew - McMonagle from Meenachuit
  • Bernie - Ward in Croveenenanta
  • Betty - Elliott from Glenties
  • Bill - Timony from Meenatawy
  • Caroline - Hanlon from Tullyard
  • Celine - Boyle from Laconnell
  • Chrissy - Ward from Meenanall/Mully and McDevitt from Greenans
  • Colette - Brown from Meenanarwa/Knockletteragh
  • Connie - Coll from Meenadoan
  • Cyril - Timoney from Meenatawy
  • Dolores - Sweeney & Ward from Meenaleenaghan & Meenanarwa (Knockletteragh)
  • Edward - Breslins, Bryce/Brice & Shevlin, Shovlin/Shovelin from Ardara, Aighe, Barkillew, Maghera and Roechrow
  • Gayle - Scott
  • George - Gallagher from Bellaganny
  • James - McLoone
  • Jane - Molloys from Meenavally
  • Jason - Boyle in Owenteskiny
  • Jim - Boyle from Meenagolan, McGee from Glenleheen & McGeehan from Drumnaha
  • Jim G - Gildea from Straboy
  • Jo - McLoone
  • Jody - Molloy from Straboy
  • Joe - Brennan from Shallogans
  • Joe - McGill, Brogan, Scanlon and Carr from Laconnell and Ardara
  • John - Herron from Meenadoan and Glenaboghill, McLoughlin from Montymeane & Hanlon from Cloghbolie
  • Karen - Barrett from Maas and Ballyiriston
  • Kathy - O'Donnell from Glenties
  • Katy - Cooper, Long, Scott & Tennis/Tannis from Narin and Lackagh 
  • Kay - Lough from Brackey, Laconnell, Crumlin & McNelis from Brackey
  • Lisa - Boyle from Cloghboy
  • Martin - McLoone from Croveenenanta
  • Mary - Cannon & Scharpegge from Glenties
  • Meghan - McLoone from Clooney & Sharp/Geran from Loughfad
  • Michael - McLoone from Derryloaghan
  • Paul - Ward from Cloghercor and Derryloaghan
  • Pauline - Molloy from Leamagowra
  • Peggy - Roarty from Drumnalough and Brennan from Doobin

Resources

Townlands

 

BACK

Lindel Buckley

© Donegal Genealogy Resources