Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

The following project was started 6 Sep 2009 and forms part of the Donegal Genealogy Resources Website

 

You may link to this page but not copy it.

If you have anything you'd like to add or would like to have yourself included in a Researchers section of these pages, then please Contact Me

 

 

Eachinis- Aughnish

 

AUGHNISH, a parish, in the barony of KILMACRENAN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, containing, with part of the post-town of Ramelton, 4937 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Lough Swilly, and on the road from Letterkenny to Rathmullen: it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 9194 1/2 statute acres, of which 8146 are applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3954 per annum. The land is principally arable and pasture, with a small quantity of bog; agriculture is improving, and the waste lands are being reclaimed. There are extensive bleach-greens and flour-mills belonging to Mr. Watts; and the parish is benefited by its vicinity to the river Lannon, which is navigable for vessels of 150 tons burden to Ramelton. Fairs are held on the Tuesday after May 20th and Dec. 11th, and on the 17th of July; and petty sessions are held every alternate Thursday at Ramelton. The gentlemen's seats are Fort Stewart, the residence of Sir J. Stewart, Bart, and Shellfield, of N. Stewart, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Raphoe, united subsequently to the 15th of Jas. I. to the rectory of Tully or Tullaferne, together forming the union of Aughnish or Tullyaughnish, which is in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin. The tithes amount to £509. 7. 4., arid the entire tithes of the benefice to £1100. The church, which is at Ramelton, is a plain structure, rebuilt by aid of a gift of £200 and a loan of £800, in 1826, from the late Board of First Fruits, and a donation of £800 from the late Dr. Usher. The glebe-house, in the centre of the parish, one mile from the church, was built in 1828, at an expense of £6000, of which £1384. 12. was a loan from the same Board, and the remainder was either charged on the revenues of the living or contributed by the incumbent. The glebe lands in Aughnish consist of 389a. 3r., and in Tullaferne, of 512a. 0r. 15p., each portion valued at 10s. per acre. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is one of those held by the Bishop of Raphoe; the chapel is a spacious building. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians of the Synod of Ulster, of the first class, also for Seceders and Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial school is aided by Col. Robertson's fund; and there are four other public schools: about 200 boys and 250 girls are taught in these schools, besides which there are about 150 boys and 60 girls educated in private schools, and there is a Sunday school at Glenlary. A school-house is in course of erection by the Synod of Ulster. There are also a dispensary, a loan fund, a fund for supplying flax, and a Ladies' Society.

 

(Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837)

 

 

Last Updated 4 Apr 2012

Births, Marriages and Deaths

Census

Churches

Families/People

Headstone Inscriptions

Land

Links

Maps

Registers

Researchers

Resources

 Townlands

Aghahull   72
Aghangaddy Glebe   528
Ardrumman   500
Aughnish   682
Aughnish Isle  Eachinis 66
Ballybokeel   111
Ballyelly   102
Ballygreen   151
Ballylin   465
Carnhill   85
Carrowcashel   288
Carrygalt   112
Cashelshanaghan   845
Croaghan   380
Drumherrive   273
Farnagh   146
Fortstewart   138
Glenalla  Gleann Eala 1,302
Glenleary   332
Gortaway   182
Kilcreen   208
Killydonnell   536
Newmill   289
Newtownfore   117
Prablin   34
Rathmelton  Ráth Mealtain 534
Rathmelton Town  Ráth Mealtain xx
Ray  An Ráith 574
Roughpark   73
Shellfield   54

 

 
BACK
 
 

Lindel Buckley

© Donegal Genealogy Resources