Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

(Photograph from Inishowen Summer Gathering)

 

This is a compilation of records for Inch Parish forming part of the Donegal Genealogy Resources website

 

You may link to this page but not copy any of is content

 

If you have anything you'd like to add or would like to have yourself included in a Researchers section of these pages, then please Contact Me

 

 

Inis - Inch

 

INCH, an island, and an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of ENNISHOWEN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 9 miles (N. W.) from Londonderry; containing 1135 inhabitants. This island, which is situated in Lough Swilly, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 6357 3/4 statute acres, of which 3258 3/4 are in Mintiaghs, or the Bar of Inch, and 60 are under water. Sir Cahir O'Dogherty, in the 15th century, built a castle near the southern extremity of the island, in which he confined O'Donell, one of the rival chieftains of Tyrconnell, who had been treacherously made prisoner in his own house. But O'Donell having prevailed upon his keeper to release him from his irons, made himself master of the castle, in which he was besieged by his rival Rory, whom he killed on the spot, by throwing down upon him a large stone from the battlements. After the flight, of the Earl of Tyrone, the castle and the island, being part of the barony of Ennishowen, were granted to Sir Arthur Chichester, whose descendant, Lord Templemore, is the present proprietor. In the war of 1641, the island was in the possession of the insurgents, from whom it was taken and garrisoned for the king; and in 1689, Gen. Kirk, with two ships from England laden with supplies for the Protestants besieged in Londonderry, unable to pass the enemy's lines at Culmore, sailed into Lough Swilly and encamped on the island, where he remained from the 13th till the 28th of July, when again entering Lough Foyle he relieved the distressed citizens. The island is about a mile distant from the main land of Burt, Fahan Point, and Rathmullen, from each of which are ferries. The surface is very uneven towards the north, where are some mountainous elevations called the Gullions, or Gollans; towards the south it is more level, and the land is in a moderately good state of cultivation. The mountainous portions afford good pasturage, and the inhabitants are employed in agricultural pursuits and in the fishery. Inch House, the residence of J. Kennedy, Esq., is the only seat on the island. Near the north point, opposite Rathmullen, is a battery, erected in 1813 on the threatened invasion; and on the Rathmullen shore is another, which completely commands the lough, under the management of a master-gunner and five artillerymen. There are also barracks for one officer and 27 non-commissioned officers and privates of the artillery. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Dean; it was erected in 1809, when seven townlands were separated from the parish of Templemore. The stipend is £100, of which £74 is paid by the patron and £26 from Primate Boulter's fund. The church, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £279, is a small neat edifice on the eastern side of the island. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Iskahan, Burt, and Inch; the chapel is a small building in the centre of the island. About 40 children are taught in the parochial school; and there are three private schools, in which are about 120 children, and a Sunday school.

 

(Extract from A Topographical Dictionary Of Ireland by Samuel Lewis, 1837)

 

 

Last updated 15 Jan 2011

Births, Marriages and Deaths

Census

Churches

Families

Headstone Inscriptions

Land

Locations

  • 1857
Building Townland
   
Church Moress
Dispensary Carnaghan
Down Fort Grange
Fair View Caqrrickanee
Inch House Moress
Inch School Moress
Masonic Lodge Carnaghan
Police Barrack Moress
Post Office Moress
Pound Carnaghan
Presbyterian Meeting House Carnaghan
RC Chapel & Schoolhouse Carnaghan

Maps

Photographs

Researchers

  • Fionnuala - Creswell and McGrory - Email
  • Kathleen - family & ancestors of Reverend James Anderson of Inch (and surrounding areas) - Email
  • Marie - McGroary in Grange & Moress - Email

Resources

 Townlands

Townland Name English/Irish Location/AKA Area in Acres
     
Ballynakilly   686
Baylet / Bhéalaid   265
Binalt in Ballynakilly  
Bohullion Glack 296
Bowarran in Ballynakilly  
Carnaghan / Bhaile Mhic Cearnacháin   279
Carrickanee   371
Castlequarter / Ceathrú an Chaisleáin   295
Cloghglass in Ballynakilly  
Corcannon in Baylet  
Corpse Knowe in Carrickanee  
Drum in Ballynakilly  
Farragans in Grange  
Glack Bohullion 296
Grange   588
Moress   316
Mullanadee in Ballynakilly  
Strahack in Grange  

 

 
BACK
 

Lindel Buckley

© Donegal Genealogy Resources