Souvenir AlbumIn and Around Detroit 1910
St. Joseph's Academy Amherstburg, Ontario 1910
1910--The order known as the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary was first introduced into this section of the country in 1864, coming from their mother-house in Montreal, Canada. Their first Academy was St. Mary's in Windsor, Ontario. This School was kept abreast with the times both as to its building equipment and educational progress.
Another fine school under the same instructors is St. Joseph's Academy, located at Amherstburg, Ontario.
This course of study in progress at these schools comprises every branch of a solid, practical and ornamental education. The curriculum of the Ontario Educational Department is established: students being prepared for the various departmental examinations. The Teachers' Course qualifies students for entrance to an State Normal School.
The Sisters in charge of these Academies are all qualified teachers under the supervision of the Ontario Government. This, in itself, is sufficient to establish a high standard of excellence among the preparatory schools of the country.
The home-life of the resident pupils of these excellent schools is all that can be desired in the way of cultured environment. French, Music and Art occupy places of prominence in the practical work of these institutions. (page 58)
Containing Illustrations of Catholic Churches, Schools and Acadamies and Institutions
(includes Windsor, Ontario area)
The photographs and text were published in 1910 in honor of the seventh Annual Meeting of the Catholic Educational Association which met in Detroit, Michigan, July 5, 1910
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids