Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Souvenir Album In and Around Detroit 1910


stalphoncanada.jpg (61035 bytes)

St. Alphonsus'   Church    Windsor, Ontario   1910

1910--The parish known as St. Alphonsus, was for many years a mission church of the Church of the Assumption at Sandwich. It became a separate parish in the year of 1865, and the Rev. Father Wagner became its first pastor and founder. Father Wagner remained as head of the parish until his death in 1896. He was succeeded by the Rev. Joseph Bayard, who remained with the congregation for two and one-half year. Father Bayard was succeeded by the Rev. Father Flannery, and he remained until 1901, when he was succeeded by Rt. Rev Monsignor Meunier, the present pastor. Bishop McEvay for five years.    Since his occupancy as Rector, the new Presbytery has been built and four schools, located in the different wards of the city. The number of pupils attending these schools are one thousand, taught by the Sisters and lay teachers. He  is assisted by the Rev. Charles LaLiberte and Denis O'Connor.  (page 57)

Containing Illustrations of Catholic Churches, Schools and Acadamies and Institutions
  (includes Windsor, Ontario area)

The photographs and text were published in 1910 in honor of the seventh Annual Meeting of the Catholic Educational Association which met in Detroit, Michigan, July 5, 1910

Home