Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Souvenir Album In and Around Detroit 1910


assumptionsandwich.jpg (20224 bytes)

Church of the Assumption     Sandwich, Ontario  1910

1910--The history of this parish is certainly unique, dating back to the year 1767, and being in its earlier days under the jurisdiction of the Bishops of Quebec. Until the year 1803 the parish was called The Assumption of Point de Montreal or A L'Assumption du Detroit. The founding of this religious community dates back to 1728, its origin being connected with the history of the Hurons or Wyandottes. The missionary priest and founder was Father Armand de la Richardie, a Jesuit. It is a question where the first seat of the mission was;  whether in Detroit or at the Point de Montreal, but all documentary evidence is in favor of Detroit.

This remained a mission chapel until 1767, when it became a parish. Father Potier became its first pastor and remained with the congregation until his death in 1781. The next pastor was Rev. M. Jean Francois Hubert. For a time he was the pastor of St. Ann's of Detroit and of the Assumption. He built a new church, which remained in use until the erection of the present edifice. Father Hubert was with this parish until 1788. He was succeeded by a number of priests. In 1843 the Jesuit Fathers again took charge of Assumption parish,  their old mission. Upon their arrival they built the present church and started a parish school and opened up a college for the higher education of youth. The Jesuits remained in charge of the parish until 1859.

The church is now in control of the Basilian Fathers, who took the parish in 1870. The present rector of Assumption Church is Rev. Father Cote. The church has a membership of about 2,500. (page 56)


Containing Illustrations of Catholic Churches, Schools and Acadamies and Institutions
  (includes Windsor, Ontario area)

The photographs and text were published in 1910 in honor of the seventh Annual Meeting of the Catholic Educational Association which met in Detroit, Michigan, July 5, 1910

Home