Souvenir AlbumIn and Around Detroit 1910
Church and School of St. Elizabeth, Detroit, Michigan 1910
Church of St. Elizabeth Detroit, Michigan 1910
1910--St. Elizabeth Parish was founded in 1885 by Rev. Anthony Svensson, the first Catholic priest of Swedish parentage ordained since the so-called Reformation. The present edifice was erected in 1892. After the death of the founder, the present pastor, Rev. A.P. Ternes, was appointed to the charge of the congregation in 1896.
Five holy masses are celebrated each Sunday. At three of them the instruction or sermon is given in the German language. In the 8:30 and 11 o'clock masses sermons are preached in English.
The school is conducted by the Sisters of Christian Charity from Wilkes Barre, Pa., and has an enrollment of 800 children.
The assistants are Revs. Alexander Mayer and Martin Halfpenny.
Donaldson & Meier were the architects of this church. (page 24)
Containing Illustrations of Catholic Churches, Schools and Acadamies and Institutions
(includes Windsor, Ontario area)
The photographs and text were published in 1910 in honor of the seventh Annual Meeting of the Catholic Educational Association which met in Detroit, Michigan, July 5, 1910
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids