Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Souvenir Album In and Around Detroit 1910


ourladyofhelp.jpg (58725 bytes)


Our Lady of Help Parish  Detroit, Michigan  1910

1910---In 1866 the Catholics of the then far eastern section of the city founded the congregation of Our Lady of Help, under the leadership of Rev. Gustav Limpens, who built the church, the first school and the present priests' house. Rev. James Wheeler became pastor in 1887, and in 1892 the old school house was demolished and the present magnificent structure replaced it. This is among the finest school buildings in the city, and is equipped with every convenience. Four hundred and fifty children are in attendance. The course of instruction embraces primary, grammar and high school branches. The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Monroe are in charge. (page 19)

 


Containing Illustrations of Catholic Churches, Schools and Acadamies and Institutions
  (includes Windsor, Ontario area)

The photographs and text were published in 1910 in honor of the seventh Annual Meeting of the Catholic Educational Association which met in Detroit, Michigan, July 5, 1910

Home