Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Souvenir Album In and Around Detroit 1910


stjoseph.jpg (122278 bytes)
St. Joseph's Parish

St. Joseph's Parish
Detroit, Michigan

In 1910:
The church of St. Joseph, located on Orleans and Jay streets, was founded in 1856 by Rev. E. Campenhoudt. In 1862 the affairs of the parish were placed in the hands of the Rev. John F. Friedland, and to him is due the credit of having built the parish and of having built all the church property. A beautiful Gothic stone church, a fine rectory, a substantial school building, a commercial college, a residence for the Brothers, who teach in the school and the Sisters' house form this interesting group of structures.

Rev. John F. Friedland remained at the head of this congregation until his death in 1896. In the early part of the year 1897 Rev. P. J. Wermers, the present pastor, was appointed to minister over this congregation. He is one of the oldest priests in the Diocese of Detroit. His first work in the Diocese began in 1865 at St. Andrew's, now the Cathedral parish of Grand Rapids, Mich.

Rev. P. J. Wermers is assisted by Revs. F. Haich and M. Whelan,   D. D., in his parochial duties. (page 15)

 


Containing Illustrations of Catholic Churches, Schools and Acadamies and Institutions
  (includes Windsor, Ontario area)

The photographs and text were published in 1910 in honor of the seventh Annual Meeting of the Catholic Educational Association which met in Detroit, Michigan, July 5, 1910

Home