|Partner:||Hugh +* of CORBET (1020-1081)|
|Children:||Roger + FITZCORBET (1048-1134)|
|Robert * + FITZCORBET (1052-1130)|
|Name:||Hugh +* of CORBET|
|Father:||Roger * + FITZCORBET (c. 1000- )|
|Birth||1020||Pays de Caux, Normandy, France|
|Death||1081 (age 60-61)||Pays Dauge. Calvados, Normandy, France|
|Name:||Roger + FITZCORBET|
|Birth||1048||Pays de Caux, Normandy, France|
|Occupation||Baron of Shropshire|
|Death||1134 (age 85-86)|
|Name:||Robert * + FITZCORBET|
|Spouse:||Maude +* of MONTGOMERY (1041-1130)|
|Birth||1052||Pays de Caux, Normandy, France|
|Death||1130 (age 77-78)||Caus Castle, Shropshire, England|
Corbett is a surname that originated in England, derived from the Norman word corbé which was from Latin corvus (raven) as in Marcus Veralius Corvus from whom Hugh Corbeau claimed descendency. Corbetts took the name from Shropshire to Scotland in the 12th century and the name became common there. The name is recognised as a sept of Clan Ross
The first Corbet in England came from Normandy in 1066 his sons were granted Marcher Lordships, one known as Caus, near the Welsh Marches in Shropshire under Roger de Montgomery the first Earl of Shrewsbury.
The first Corbet in Scotland came from Shropshire, and settled in Teviotdale under Earl David (later King David I of Scotland) in the first quarter of the 12th century. He is said to have obtained the manor of Foghou which he held as a vassal under the Earls of Dunbar.
Robert Corbet appeared in Scotland in about 1116 as one of the retinue of Earl David, who later became King David I. The author, Augusta Corbet, who wrote The Family of Corbet – Its Life and Times, says that Robert was the son of Roger fitzCorbet and grandson of Hugh "du corbet" Corbeau . It is said he belonged to the family which held Drayton in Northamptonshire.
Robert Corbet was a witness in the instrument or Inquisition made by David, Prince of Cumberland, into the lands belonging to the old Church of Glasgow, and is also a witness in other deeds of David when he was king of Scotland (1124–53).
The Cumberland or Cumbria of those days extended to the Clyde, and included Glasgow, which David incorporated into Scotland. David appears to have allotted lands in Roxburghshire to Robert Corbet, where his descendants were "great lords of several generations".
For many centuries the Corbets held lands in the Scottish Borders and often had divided loyalties between the thrones of Scotland and England, a political necessity in the troubled Border country. By the late 13th century, the Corbets owned land in the Castle Douglas/ Dalbeattie areas in addition to their traditional tenures. A century later, Constantine Corbet owned lands in Fife and a Walter Corbet owned lands around Lochmaben. By the late 16th century, Corbets owned lands in Clydesdale, with Symont Corbet's will showing land held near Hamilton (1574).
In 1745 the Corbetts supported the British Government. When Bonnie Prince Charlie landed in Scotland. Robert Corbet, then provost of Dumfries, rode out with his men to meet him and warned the Prince to stand aside as Dumfries would have nothing to do with him. He then returned to Dumfries and locked the gates against the Prince.
Throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, Corbetts were busy in Scotland in a variety of occupations, including shipmasters, tanners, tailors, schoolmasters, weavers, etc. In 1784, James Corbett was a weaver in Larkhall and in Hamilton, other Corbetts were prospering in the late 18th century. Janefield, part of the Tollcross eatate and now a cemetery, was occupied and farmed by a James Corbett in 1751.
 CastleActon Reynald Hall is a 19th century country manor house and Park created by the Corbet Family in the 17th Century at Acton Reynald, Shropshire, England and an example of one of the many Corbet Lordships in Shropshire.
Acton Burnell Castle ruins about 8 miles Southeast of Shrewsbury, near to the Acton Burnell Church and Hall, claim attention, from the many interesting and historical facts connected with it; it is recorded a Parliament was held here in the year 1283 by Edward I, on which occasion the Lords sat at Shrewsbury, and the Commons in the banqueting hall of the castle here, the gable ends of which still remain; here it was that the statute known by the name of the Acton Burnell Statute or "Statuta de Mercatoribus (Statutes of Merchants)" was passed. Long before Edward I, William The Conqueror took the Saxon Godric’s manor from him and gave it to the Norman Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn conferred it on Roger Fitz-Corbett. It is supposed that Roger, the Domesday tenant of Actune, was ancestor of those Burnels, from whom afterwards the manor took its distinctive title of Acton Burnell.
Alberbury Castle was built by Fulke Fitz Warine in the 13th Century and held under the Barons of Caus, was added protection for Shrewsbury Castle against the threat of the Welsh. In addition, Shropshire was also given a Norman sheriff called Warin who held a number of manors around Oswestry.
Caus Castle (also known as, or recorded in historical documents as Cause; Caurs; Chaus; Caws; Caurse; Alretone; Auretone; Averetonee), often described as a fortress of uncommon strength and extent, is about 2 miles southwest of Westbury, Shropshire, England and is located along the Welsh Marches. Caux Castle was built by Roger fitz Corbet (1050–1134) a domesday founder for his family, and is named for his homeland in Pays de Caux, Normandy, France, and was the seat of their Marcher Lordships granted under Roger de Montgomery (Roger de Montgomeri), Earl of Shrewsbury (Shropshire) and King William the Conqueror.
Hopton Castle (structure) is located between Knighton, Powys, Wales and Craven Arms (Newton), Shropshire, England. Hopton Castle passed by marriage to the Moreton Corbet family in the 15th Century.
High Ercall Hall & High Ercall Church (pronounced High Arcal) located in the borough of Telford & Wrekin, were owned by the Corbet's by marriage to the Newport's.
Moreton Corbet Castle in Shropshire, England was acquired by the Corbets in 1235, when Sir Richard Corbet of Wettlesborough b. 1191, who married Joan Thoreton b. 1200 the daughter or Bartholomew Thoreton of Moreton Thoret. Sometime around 1560 Sir Andrew Corbet rebuilt the castle and built a new east range with a great hall, to this was added an ornate south range designed in a L-shape by Sir Andrew's son, Robert Corbet. It is this latter addition that stands as one of the landmarks in English architectural history.
Rowallan Castle was the seat for later chiefs of the Corbetts which was originally the seat of the chiefs of Clan Muir.
Sibdon Castle in Sibdon Carwood, near Newton, Shropshire, England. The fortified manor at Sibdon Carwood, the predecessor to the 17th-century Sibdon Castle country house, is given the name "Shepeton Corbet" by a number of historical documents, including that of John Leland (c. 1535-43), who also gives the suffix to Hopton Corbet Castle and Moreton Corbet Castle. This is an indication that the Corbet family owned these fortified manors around the time, of which Moreton Corbet's castle both remains in their ownership and retains the suffix to this day.
Sundorne Castle is home of the Corbet-Pigott family
Wattlesborough Castle was a fortified manor held by the Barons of Caus, which later passed from the Corbet's to the John de Mowthe Family.
 Coat of armsHugh Corbet (b.1046) arriving with William the Conqueror from Normandy France in 1066, displayed One Raven Proper on a Gold Shield;
Sir Roger Corbet displayed two ravens proper on a gold shield with a bordure red engrailed under King Edward III;
Sir Peter Corbet, 2nd Baron of Caus, displayed two ravens proper on a gold shield at the Battle of Falkirk in 1298 and in a letter to the Pope in 1301;
Sir Thomas Corbet, displayed two ravens proper on a gold shield; Sir Thomas Corbet, displayed three ravens proper on a gold shield at the First Dunstable Tournament in 1308;
Sir Thomas Corbet, displayed six ravens proper on a gold shield with a red canton with 2 silver lions passant gardant in 1567.
other variations include A Raven or two Ravens and a key on a Silver Shield.