Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

kanyaka cemetery

 

OFF QUORN - HAWKER RD, GORDON SA

 

 

 

The photos in this file were generously donated by Jennifer and her friend Wayne Carslake

This file contains an index only to headstone photos.

It is not a complete list of all of those interred there and some photos may not be of good quality.

If you would like a photo emailed to you, please note the cemetery, name and photo number

 

Email link located on the Cemetery Index Page

 

 

photo

surname

details

 

5

BOLE

MARGARET MENZIES 1891 AGE 52, WIFE OF JAMES, JAMES INF AND 2

7

HAMMOND

CHARLES W 1873 AGE 48 HUSBAND OF HARRIET

6

HOLYOAKE

THOMAS SMYTH 1872 AGE 31

8

NORTH

JAMES 1869 AGE 40, HUSBAND OF ELIZABETH

3

Phillips

Martha 1857 age 46 wife of john r, late of western Australia

4

THOROLD

LUCY 1869 WIFE OF CHARLES

9

UNKNOWN

HEADSTONE NEAR ILLEGIBLE EXCEPT THAT THE SURNAME ENDS IN D??Y AND THE YEAR OF DEATH IS 1871

11

UNKNOWN

BROKEN AND ILLEGIBLE HEADSTONE

10

WATSON

JAMES FREDERICK 1874 AGE 39 HUSBAND OF AGNES

 

 

 

 

 

The below Information is copied from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 

Kanyaka Station was established as a cattle station in February 1852 by Hugh Proby. The Flinders Ranges is very dry country, so it is

both tragic and ironic that in August that same year, Hugh Proby was drowned when he was swept from his horse crossing the swollen

Willochra Creek while trying to herd a mob of cattle during a thunderstorm.

Under subsequent owners, the station grew in size until it was one of the largest in the district with 70 families living and working there.

Because of the difficulties of transport, the station had to be very self-sufficient and Kanyaka station grew to include a large homestead,

cottages for workers, workshops, huts and sheds, mostly built from local stone due to limited supplies of workable local timber. The station

switched from cattle to sheep, but had cows, pigs, and vegetable gardens to supply food for the residents. There was also a cemetery for those

who died, so far from medical help. Note Hugh Proby was not buried in the Kanyaka cemetery, as it had not been established at the time of his

death. Severe droughts resulted in massive losses of sheep and eventually the station was abandoned. Due to its stone construction, many of the

buildings survive today as ruins and are a popular tourist attraction.

Hugh Proby was the third son of the third Earl of Carysfort of Ireland. He was born on 9 April 1826 at Stamford in Lincolnshire, England,

the son of Admiral Granville Leveson Proby (the third Earl) and Isabella Howard. Hugh Proby emigrated on the ship "Wellington" which

arrived on 30 May 1851 at Port Adelaide, South Australia. He died on 30 August 1852 in Willochra Creek, South Australia aged 24 years.

He was buried the following day. Six years later in 1858 his grave was marked with an engraved slab shipped from Britain by his brothers and

sisters; it was said to weigh one and a half tons and posed a significant challenge to transport it to the grave site.

 

 

Cemetery Index Page

 

Home Page