La Porte-Bayshore Sun, May 17, 1964, p. 12
Early Road Builders--Sullivan Brothers Have Big Spot in LP History
[Extracted from a longer article]
In 1908, after the death of his brother, Tom, James and two other men, Wm. Battitt and J. S. Johnson decided to make arrangements for the burial of La Porte people. The cemetery that existed at the time was so far out of reason, where price of plots was concerned that people could hardly affort to have deceased members of their family there.
These gentlemen made a plot of ground available for this purpose. It was purchased by a committee of ladies to be used as a public cemetery, with the condition that one-fourth of the area be used as a Catholic cemetery. This cemetery is being used at the present time by La Porte.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids