Descendants of Andrew Wrath/Rath
1. Andrew Rath #1555 b. 1797, Ireland, m. 26 Dec 1822, in Truro, Colchester Co, Nova Scotia,Canada, by Alex Miller, Town Clerk, Mary Lavina Field #1556, b. 28 Jun 1801, Truro, NS, Canada, (daughter of John (alies Garin) Field #3419 and Miriam "Mary" Coffill #3420) d. 3 Aug 1881, Boston, Mass, buried: Harmony, Colchester Co, NS, Harmony Cem. Andrew died 18 Dec 1868, Harmony, Colchester Co, NS, Canada, buried: Harmony, Colchester Co, NS, Stone 17. Booklet on the Rath decendants by William Dunbar on file. Marriage record LDS card 0027 page 5887 Nova Scotia 1861 Colchester Co. Census: Andrew Rath had 10 acres and produced the following: 5 ton hay, 30 bushles oats, 20 bushles buckwheat, 50 bushles potatoes, 5 bushles turnips, 4 cattle, 2 milk cows, 2 horses, 2 pigs, 3 fulled yards cloth, 100 pounds butter. Marriage Record for Truro gives name as Andrew Wrath. Mary: Article in the Morning Herald newspaper in Colchester Co. 09 Sept. 1881 states At Boston, Mass., Aug. 3rd. after a short illness, Mary Livinia, widow of the late Andrew RATH, of Stewiacke Road, aged 51 (should be 81) years. Mary was also known as Mary Lee after her mother married David Lee when she was about 6 years old.
2. i James Rath #1557 b. 14 Oct 1823.
ii Mary Jane Rath #1558 b. 13 Sep 1826, Truro, NS, m. (1) Hugh McCartney #11857, m. (2) 9 Jun 1859, James C. Smith #11858. Had two children by first husband and had two more children by second husband.
3. iii Rachel (Wrath) Rath #1559 b. ABT 1833.
4. iv Robert F. Rath #1560 b. 27 Mar 1831.
v Susan Rath #1561 b. 1844, Colchester Co, NS, m. 20 Sep 1865, in Truro, NS, Canada, William Miller #1626, b. 1841, Stewiacke, Col. Co., NS, occupation Farmer. Living in Upper Londonderry, NS in 1891 Census. Living in Harmony at time of marriage. Marriage witness P. Rath and L. Archibald. William: Residence at time of marriage, Harmony. Son of Ad & Mary Miller.
vi Lavinia Rath #1562 b. 1836, d. aft 1928.
5. vii Walter Rath #1563 b. 13 Dec 1838.
viii Nancy Rath #1564 b. 1841, Colchester Co., NS, d. 1846.
6. ix George A. Rath #1565 b. 22 Jan 1848.
x Margaret Rath #1566 b. 1846, Colchester Co., NS.
2. James Rath #1557 (1.Andrew1) b. 14 Oct 1823, Truro, Col. Co., NS, Canada, occupation Farmer, m. 28 Nov 1848, in Nova Scotia, Canada, Jane "Janie" Hannah Henderson #1602, b. 13 Apr 1826, (daughter of Samuel Henderson #11457 and Jean McDorman #11458) d. 5 Oct 1902, buried: Harmony Cem, Truro,NS, Stone #32. James died 13 Sep 1912, Harmony, NS, buried: Harmony Cem, Truro, NS, Canada. 1861 Colchester Co. Census: James Rath had 12 acres and produced the following: 12 bushels wheat, 10 bushels oats, 10 bushels buckwheat, 80 bushels potatoes.
On the 3rd of Sept., 1847, James bought 100 acres from his father. The land was in Truro Township. In 1851 he bought another 400 acres near Truro. The next year he sold the land he got in 1847 back to his father, witness to this transaction was Robert Rath.
Jane: (1. 1871 Colchester Co. Census. The 1901 Census gives the birthdate as 13 April, 1825, 75 years old. The Apr 1891 Salmon River Cencus gives James 65, Jane 62, Elizabeth 24, Rebecca 21 & Andrew 30. Headstone gives birthdate as Apr 13 1836.
8. ii Henrietta Rath #1603 b. 1851.
iii Rachel Rath #1604 b. 1854, Colchester Co, NS, m. 14 Jul 1874, in Debert, Col. Co., NS, William McDermond #11456. (1. 1871 Colchester Co. Census. William: Son of John & Eliza Mcdermond.
iv Jane W. Rath #1605 b. 1857, NS, Canada, m. 28 Nov 1882, in Masstown, Debert River, Col. Co., NS, Daniel Yuill #5234. Daniel: Son of James & Martha Yuill. Age 31 at time of marriage.
9. v Isaac Rath #1607 b. 6 Dec 1864.
10. vi Andrew Rath #1606 b. 18 Sep 1859.
vii Elizabeth Jane Rath #1608 b. 1864, Truro, NS, m. Thomas M. Stansbury #5235, b. 1864. Lived in Boston.
viii Jessie M. Rath #1609 b. 17 Mar 1868, Truro, NS, Canada, m. 29 Apr 1885, in Truro, NS, by Rev. Dr. McCulloch, Robert S.Talbot #4173, b. 1862, NS, Canada. Jessie died 1902, buried: Boston, MA, USA.
ix Rebecca Rath #1610 b. 30 Dec 1870, Harmony, NS, m. Walter W. Ryder #5236, b. 1870. Lived in Everett, Mass.
3. Rachel (Wrath) Rath #1559 (1.Andrew1) b. ABT 1833, NS, Canada, m. 27 Oct 1857, in Colchester Co, NS, Alfred Hamilton #4395, b. 16 Jun 1835, Colchester Co., NS, (son of Archibald Hamilton #4992 and Ruth Stevens #4993) d. 9 Nov 1912, buried: Brookfield Cemetery. Rachel died Jan 1916, buried: Brookfield Cemetery, Brookfield, NS. Alfred and Rachel Hamilton had two sons and three daughters, Brookfield births. On the other side of the headstone is Hattie Hamilton Upham 1867-1917, on the third side is H.H. Hamilton 1864-1920 and his wife Lillian M. 1867-1934. Alfred: Info: LDS Nova Scotia card 0027 page 5887 Birthdate from History and Genealogical Record of Colchester County by Thomas Miller page 355 ISBN0919302-45-9. Eldest son of William & Louisa Hamilton.
ii Helen Hamilton #16899 b. 1860, m. Edward Chester #16902. Helen died 1898.
iii Henry Havelock Hamilton #13577 b. 1863, m. Lillian May Brenton #13578, b. 1867, d. 1934. Henry died 1920.
iv Maude Hamilton #16900 b. 1866, m. Frank Coulthard #16903.
v Hattie G. Hamilton #13574 b. 1867, m. Martin S. Upham #13579, b. 1867, d. 1917. Hattie died 1917.
vi Ettie E. Hamilton #13575 b. 1876, m. George L. Andrews #16453. Ettie died ?.
vii Edith Hamilton #13576 b. 1879.
viii Dorothy Hamilton #16901 b. 1880, m. William Gallagher #16904.
4. Robert F. Rath #1560 (1.Andrew1) b. 27 Mar 1831, Brookfield, Colchester Co., NS, 5 Jul 1896, Brookfield, NS, occupation Blacksmith, m. 7 Feb 1859, in Truro, NS, Elizabeth Murray #1611, b. 27 Dec 1835, Salmon River, NS, (daughter of William Murray #3468 and Margaret #12134) d. 12 Nov 1910, Hilden, NS, buried: Brookfield, NS. Robert died 15 Feb 1911, Hilden, NS, buried: 17 Feb 1911, Brookfield, NS. Robert was a farmer and blacksmith. Pres. Irish, 40 yrs. old in the 1871 Colchester County Census Dist. 199 Onslow Poling Dist. pg. 23 & 24. On 7 Feb. 1860 they bought a 20 acre farm in Onslow, at the mouth of the old road to Fort Belcher, south of the Debert Interchange. By 1891, they had moved to Brookfield, then later to Hilden. In a window at the Baptist Church in Hilden is the following: "Given in memory of Mr. & Mrs. Robert Rath by Mary L. Rath, Susan Rath & Anna Rath Johnson".
Obit: Truro Daily News - 3 March 1911 - Friday
RATH: At Hilden, Colchester Co. NS, Feb 14, brother Robert Rath passed away at the age of 81 years, leaving two sons and four daughters and a large circle of friends to mourn his departure. After a prayerful study of the Scriptures, he accepted the views held by the baptist demonination and was baptized and united with the church, and has ever since maintained a consistent Christian walk. The funeral services, which were largely attended, were conducted by pastor L.J. Tingley. Elizabeth: Listed in the 1871 Colchester County Census Dist. 199 Onslow Poling Dist. pg. 23 & 24 as 35 yrs. old Presb. Scotch. Truro Daily News - 14 December 1910 HILDEN, COLCHESTER COUNTY Dec. 12 - The Angel of Death has visited our midst and taken from us Mrs. Robert Rath. After an illness of a few days she passed away to join the majority in the great beyond.
During her declining years she was carefully attended by her loving daughter, Mary L. She was much loved and respected by all who knew her.
There is left to mourn her death, a husband; four daughters, Mary L., at home; Mrs. H.D. Turney, Roxbury, Mass; Mrs. Will Dunbar, Calgary, Alberta; and Mrs. Scott Johnson, Hilden; and two sons, Burton and Sedley, Truro.
Listed in the 1901 census in the home of her son Burton.
ii Mary L. Rath #1613 b. 1862, Onslow, NS, d. aft 1911. Never married.
11. iii Susan E. Rath #1614 b. Nov 1864.
12. iv Burton (Haliburton) Rath #1615 b. 7 Mar 1865.
v Hugh Rath #1616 b. 8 Aug 1867, Onslow, NS, d. 31 Mar 1868, Onslow, NS, Canada, 9 months old. Cause of death: whooping cough; informant; Robert Rath.
vi George Robert Rath #1617 b. 22 May 1869, Onslow, NS, d. 5 Jun 1871, Onslow, NS, Canada. Cause of death: brain fever; informant: Robert Rath.
13. vii Sedley W. Rath #1618 b. 9 Oct 1870.
14. viii Elizabeth "Bessie" Rath #1619 b. 1 Apr 1873.
15. ix Margaret "Annie" Rath #1620 b. 5 Jul 1875.
x Alfred Rath #1621 b. 1878, Onslow, NS, d. 23 Mar 1895. Alfred died at the age of 17 yrs. of Lagrippe
xi Mary Rath #1622.
5. Walter Rath #1563 (1.Andrew1) b. 13 Dec 1838, Camden, Colchester Co, NS, Canada, occupation Farmer, m. (1) 23 Mar 1865, in Upper Stewiacke, NS, Mary Ann McMillan #1567, b. 26 Oct 1843, Colchester Co., NS, (daughter of James McMillan #12572 and Catherine Johnson #12573) d. 31 Oct 1889, Truro, Colchester Co, NS, buried: Camden Cem., Camden, NS, Stone # 35, m. (2) 9 Oct 1890, in Upper Stewiacke, Col. Co., NS, by Rev. Edward Grant, Margaret Dawson #1574, b. 20 Apr 1854, Upper Stewiacke, NS, d. ?. Walter died 9 Jun 1928, Camden, Colchester Co, NS, buried: Camden Cem, Camden, NS, Stone # 34.
THE LATE WALTER RATH, CAMDEN, COL. CO., NS
The very many friends of Walter Rath will learn with sincere regret that he passed to his eternal rest at his home in Camden, Colchester Co., June 9th. Mr. Walter Rath was a verrable and highly respected citzen of Colchester County.
The deceased was born at Camden and resided there all his years.
His genial disposition and sterling qualities of character won sincere freinds. He had enjoyed good health, until some three months ago when his strength began to fail until the end came.
Mr. Rath is survived by his widow and five children, four sons, Charles, at the home, Wilbert in Alberta, Frank in Saskatchewan and Chesley of the staff of the C.N.R. express business Truro, and one daughter, Mrs. Blanchard Stevens, Dominion Street, Truro, also by one sister Levina in Boston, Mass. 92 years of age.
Rath - Camden, Col. Co. June 9, 1928 Walter Rath aged 90 years. Funeral from the home residence June 11 at 2:30 PM. Interment at Camden cemetery. Rev, Dr. Horne officiated.
Copied from Truro News
Listed in McAlpine's 1907-8 Directory: far, Camden. 7th April 1891 Salmon River Census shows Walter 50, Margaret 40, Margaret 20, Wilbert 18, Fred 11, Frank 7 & Winnie 6. Truro Directory - County -1918-1919: RATH, Walter, Farmer, Camden. Mary: 13 Nov. 1889 - Died - Suddenly at Truro, Oct 31st., Mrs. Walter Rath, in her 37th year, leaving a husband and 4 children.
Children by Mary Ann McMillan:
ii Sherbin Rath #1568 b. 1869, Truro, Colchester Co, NS, d. 10 Jan 1889, Lower Onslow, NS. From Births, Deaths & Marriages from "The Morning Herald" 1 Jan. 1889-31 Dec. 1891 pg. 2 10 Jan. 1889 - Died - A young man by the name of Sherburne, s/o Walter Rath, of Harmony was instantly killed yeasterday morning at 8 o'clock at the barn of T.B. Chisholm, of Lower Onslow, by a hay press falling on him whilst it was being unloaded from a wagon. The press weighed 800 lbs. And fell directly on him extinguishing life almost instantly. An inquest was held last evening at the residence of Alex Barnhill. Dr. D.H. Muir, coroner. A verdict in accordance with the above facts was given with a recommendation regarding the loading and unloading of such goods. Deceased was 20 years of age. (Herald's Diary Column).
iii Margaret "Maggie" Rath #1569 b. 1870, Truro, Colchester Co, NS, m. 11 Jul 1895, in Belmont, Col. Co., NS, Frank Blanchard Stevens #5237. Frank: Son of Ezra & Margaret Stevens. Age 21 years at time of marriage.
16. iv Wilbert Rath #1570 b. 25 Jun 1871.
v Fred Rath #1571 b. 1880, Camden, Colchester Co, NS, Canada, d. bef 1928.
vi Frank Forest Rath #1573 b. 26 Oct 1883, Camden, Colchester Co, NS, d. 1969, Wetaskiwin, AB. Frank came to Alberta from Nova Scotia in 1910. Homesteaded in Saskatchewan 1911 and came back to Alberta in 1922. He went to Hoadley, Alberta 1924 and then back to Norbuck, Alberta in 1926. He then homesteaded at Norbuck in 1928 and ran the Post Office and a store there. When he died he left his personal belongings and the Norbuck property to his neice Ann Hampton. The balance of his estate was divided between his nieces and his grand neice, Laura. Copy of Will on file.
vii Winnie Rath #3421 b. 1885, Camden, Colchester Co, NS, d. before 1928. Winnie was listed as 6 years old in the Colchester County Census Index 1891.
Children by Margaret Dawson:
17. viii Chesley Walter Rath #1575 b. 16 Aug 1893.
18. ix Charles Dawson Rath #1576 b. 24 Feb 1897.
6. George A. Rath #1565 (1.Andrew1) b. 22 Jan 1848, NS, Canada, occupation Farmer/lumberman, m. (1) 4 Jan 1864, in Truro, Col. Co., NS, Christie Ann Holensworth #3305, b. 1846, d. 18 Sep 1865, buried: Harmony Cem,Truro,Nova Scotia,Stone # 64, m. (2) 28 Feb 1867, in Harmony, Col. Co., NS, Victoria Henderson #1623, b. 31 Dec 1846, (daughter of Joseph Henderson #3469 and Renewa Smith #3470) d. 1933, buried: Camden Cemetery, Camden, NS. George died 28 Dec 1921, NS, Canada, buried: Camden Cem, Camden, NS, Stone # 21. Listed as 24 yrs. old Presb. Irish Farmer in the 1871 Colchester County Census pg. 42 Truro !3, En #2. th Apr, 1891 Salmon River Cencus shows George 45, Victoria 38, Murdock 22, Ellen 17, Freeman 14, Lawrence 12, Foster 10, Josephine 8 & Sarah J. 7. Truro Directory - County 1918-1919: RATH, George, Farmer, Camden. Christie: Daughter of Thomas & Jannet Holensworth. She had a sister, Eliza Margaret who died Dec 8, 1859, buried Harmony Cemetery. Victoria: Listed as 23 yrs. old in the 1871 Colchester County Census pg. 42 Truro #1, En #2
Children by Christie Ann Holensworth:
Children by Victoria Henderson:
19. ii Alonzo Rath #1624 b. 26 Oct 1869.
20. iii Murdock Rath #1625 b. 1868.
iv Christie Rath #2523 b. 1870, Camden, NS, d. 1885.
21. v Nancy Annie Rath #2524 b. 1872.
22. vi Ellen A. Rath #2525 b. 21 Jan 1874.
vii Florence Rath #2526 b. 1876, Camden, NS, d. 7 Apr 1877, buried: Camden Cem, Camden, NS, Stone # 16. 1) died at age 16 mo.
23. viii Freeman Rath #2527 b. 28 Jul 1877.
24. ix Lawrence Rath #2528 b. 4 May 1879.
x Foster Rath #2529 b. 4 Nov 1880, Camden, NS, occupation Farmer, m. 20 Dec 1904, in Camden, Col. Co., NS, Elizabeth "Lisa" Jane Fulton #5240, b. 1884, d. 1957, buried: Watson Cemetery. Foster died 1946, buried: Watson Cemetery, Truro, NS #299. Listed in McAlpine's 1907-8 Directory: farmer, Camden. Truro Directory - 1918 - 1919: RATH, Foster, Engineer, C.G.R., Brunswick Street. Elizabeth: Daughter of John & Sarah Fulton.
xi Josephine Rath #2530 b. 1883, Camden, NS, m. Harry Pine #5239, b. 1886. Josephine died 1963.
xii Sarah J. "Sadie" Rath #2531 b. 26 May 1883, Camden, NS, d. ?.
xiii Blanche Rath #2532 b. May 1886, Camden, NS, d. 22 Jun 1887, Stewiacke Road, buried: aged 13 months.
7. Mary H. Rath #11459 (2.James2, 1.Andrew1) b. Mar 1850, m. 7 Sep 1870, in Stewiacke, Col. Co., NS, Adam McMillan #11460, b. 19 Apr 1828, NS, (son of James McMillan #12572 and Catherine Johnson #12573) d. 22 Oct 1897, aged 68 yrs., buried: Harmony Cemetery, Truro, NS. Mary died 14 Jun 1927, buried: Harmony Cemetery, Truro, NS, stone says aged 74 yrs.
ii Elizabeth McMillan #13581 b. 22 Jul 1874, Upper Stewiacke, Col. Co., NS, d. ?.
iii James J. McMillan #13582 b. 1877.
8. Henrietta Rath #1603 (2.James2, 1.Andrew1) b. 1851, Colchester Co, NS, Canada, m. 14 Aug 1873, in Upper Stewiacke, Col. Co., NS, Alexander Dawson #4742, b. 1837, NS, d. 1920, buried: Upper Stewiacke Cemetery Stone #243. Henrietta died 1908, buried: Upper Stewiacke Cemetery, #243. Alexander: Son of Joseph & Isabella Dawson.
9. Isaac Rath #1607 (2.James2, 1.Andrew1) b. 6 Dec 1864, NS, Canada, m. (1) 23 Aug 1882, in Harmony, Col. Co., NS, Agnes Jane Bell #1632, b. 1862, NS, d. bef 1901, m. (2) Susan Watson #1636, b. 9 Aug 1879, (daughter of John Jefferson Watson #12582 and Melinda #15069) d. 15 Jul 1970, buried: Harmony Cemetery, Truro, NS. Isaac died 22 May 1931, buried: Harmony Cemetery, Truro,, NS, Presp. 7 Apr 1891 Salmon River Census shows Isaac 33, Agnes 29 daughter Frances 2. Must be a first marriage. Headstone states born Dec 6 1860. Agnes: Listed as 29 yrs. old in the 1891 census. Susan: Headstone states born Aug. 9 1882.
Children by Agnes Jane Bell:
ii Myrtle Rath #1635. Not listed in the 1891 census.
Children by Susan Watson:
iii Minnie Rath #1638 b. 25 Jun 1898.
iv Jessie Rath #1634 b. 21 Aug 1900, Gays River, Colchester Co., NS.
25. v Gertrude Maude Rath #1637 b. 1906.
10. Andrew Rath #1606 (2.James2, 1.Andrew1) b. 18 Sep 1859, Harmony, NS, m. 10 Apr 1896, in Harmony, NS, Laura Watson #3464, b. 16 Jun 1863, North River, Colchester Co, NS, (daughter of John Jefferson Watson #12582 and Melinda #15069). Andrew died 14 Dec 1904, buried: Harmony Cem, Truro, NS, Stone # 33. The birthdate is from the 1901 Census for Salmon River, page 18. Andrew was an epileptic who fell from his horse during an apparent seizure, into a brook where he drowned. The horse went home and led his wife to where he was. Info from Helen Rath in a letter from Gloria Hunt. Wills/Estates gives death date as 14 Dec 1903.
27. ii Jane "Janie" Rath #3465 b. 6 Mar 1899.
11. Susan E. Rath #1614 (4.Robert2, 1.Andrew1) b. Nov 1864, Onslow, NS, m. 11 May 1885, in Boston, Mass, by Rev. Henry Cook, Henry "Harry" D. Turney #3422, b. Dec 1857, Barbadoes, occupation Captain, d. 21 Apr 1934, West Roxbuty, Mass. Susan died aft 1934, West Roxbury, Mass. In 1910 was living in Roxbury, Mass.
ii Robert Turney #3425 b. Mar 1894, Mass., d. bef 1934.
iii Norma Gladys Turney #3424 b. 18 Jun 1898, Mass., d. Aug 1987, Wesr Roxbury, Mass. 1) never married 2) lived in Boston, Mass, USA
12. Burton (Haliburton) Rath #1615 (4.Robert2, 1.Andrew1) b. 7 Mar 1865, Lower Onslow, Colchester Co, NS, occupation Farmer, m. 1 Jan 1906, in Brookfield, Nova Scotia, Canada, Carrie W. Lynds #1627, b. 8 Nov 1883, North River, Colchester Co, NS, Canada, d. 21 Sep 1968, buried: Hilden, NS. Burton died 1 Feb 1933, Truro, NS. Listed in McAlpine's 1907-8 Directory: farmer, Hilden. Truro Directory for the year 1918 - 1919: RATH, Burton, Blacksmith, C.G.R., Centre Street. "Burton Rath age 69 well known railway man and resident of Hilden, passed away Wednesday evening following a lengthy illness, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. D.C. Vernon, 56 Pleasant St. The deceased was born at Lower Onslow and moved at an early age to Hilden, where he resided for the greater part of his life. Ten or fifteen years ago, he moved to Truro, and more recently returned to his farm at Hilden. He was the son of Mr. & Mrs. Robert Rath of Lower Onslow."
Carrie: Daughter of David & Lavinia (Morrison) Lynds.
28. ii Thelma Rath #3472 b. 1908.
29. iii Dorothy Hermaine Rath #3473 b. 17 Oct 1916.
13. Sedley W. Rath #1618 (4.Robert2, 1.Andrew1) b. 9 Oct 1870, Lower Onslow, NS, occupation Carpenter, m. Elizabeth Maude Staples #3428, b. 9 Feb 1880, (daughter of Samuel R. Staples #13555 and Hannah Yuill #13556). Sedley died Calif or AZ. Listed in McAlpine's 1907-8 Directory: carpt, Hilden.
ii Hildegarde "Hilda" Ruth Rath #3430 m. 14 Dec 1935, in East San Diego, CA, United Presbyterian Church, William Morgan #12862. William: Son of the late William Morgan and Mrs. Mary (Morgan) Jones of Waynesburt, KY.
14. Elizabeth "Bessie" Rath #1619 (4.Robert2, 1.Andrew1) b. 1 Apr 1873, Lower Onslow, NS, m. (1) 12 Jan 1893, in Truro, NS, Alexander Sutherland #1628, b. 10 Jun 1858, West River, NS, (son of George Sutherland #3978 and Jane Ross #3979) occupation Farmer, d. 30 Mar 1906, West River Station, NS, buried: Stewert Cemetery, West River Sataion, m. (2) 4 Sep 1907, in Eureka, Pictou Co, NS, William Roderick Dunbar #1629, b. 10 Jan 1865, Abercrombie, Pictou Co, NS, occupation Miner/Cook, d. 15 Aug 1959, Cranbrook, BC, buried: Cranbrook Cemetery. Elizabeth died 30 Aug 1914, Diamond City, AB, buried: Lethbridge, AB. William: William was a logger and miner. Son of Alexander Dunbar and Margaret Fraser. Upon the death of his mother, he lived for a time with his Fraser grandparents until he ran away and worked in the coal mines. About 1910, three years after his marriage to the widow Elizabeth Sutherland, they sold the farm and moved to Calgary and Coalhurst, Alberta where he again worked in the coal mines. After Elizabeth's death, he placed the children in an orphanage in New Westminister, BC and enlisted in World War 1. Later, he saw the children a few times and helped Murray get his first job when he got out of the orphanage in 1922. The family lost touch with him soon after this and later found out he had moved to the Cranbrook, BC area and prospected until about 1930, then was a cooks helper in various logging camps until his retirement in 1937. (Information from his grandson, William S. Dunbar.)
Children by Alexander Sutherland:
ii Alfred Sutherland #3432 b. 5 Mar 1896, West River, NS, d. 1955, Canada.
iii Jean Sutherland #3433 b. 18 Jun 1898, West River, NS, occupation Nurse, d. Sep 1982, Boston, MA, USA.
iv Jack Sutherland #3434 b. 7 Dec 1901, West River, NS, occupation Millwright, d. ABT 1960, BC, Canada. Lived in Woodfiber, BC.
Children by William Roderick Dunbar:
30. v Seldon Murray Dunbar #1630 b. 25 Mar 1908.
vi Robert Henry Dunbar #1631 b. 14 Apr 1910, Westville, Pictou, NS, Canada. He never married. Worked on the big Hydro Projects in BC.
15. Margaret "Annie" Rath #1620 (4.Robert2, 1.Andrew1) b. 5 Jul 1875, Onslow, NS, m. 21 Dec 1898, in Hilden, NS, Scott W. Johnson #3457, b. 1866, of Hilden, Col. Co., NS, occupation Farmer, d. 1920, buried: Hilden Cemetery #99 Stone #7. Margaret died ?. Scott: Son of Henry Johnson and Mary Scott.
ii Sedley Johnson #3459.
iii Hugh Johnson #3460.
16. Wilbert Rath #1570 (5.Walter2, 1.Andrew1) b. 25 Jun 1871, Camden, Colchester Co, NS, Canada, ref: AFN:K714-LS, m. 15 Nov 1899, in St. Andrew's Manse, Truro, NS, Louisa Jane Burgess #1577, b. 15 Nov 1879, Old Barns, NS, 8 Feb 1880, (daughter of Nelson Burgess #2031 and Margarett "Maggie" Clark #2032) d. 14 May 1950, White Rock, BC, buried: Surrey, BC. Wilbert died 14 Feb 1957, White Rock, BC, buried: 17 Feb 1957, Surrey, BC. The 1901 census shows Wilbert's mother-in-law, Margaret McMillian and her sons Frank, Albert and John living in his house. Page 19 for Camden. Listed in McAlpine's 1907-8 directory: far, Camden. Louisa: Birth date in Family Bible.
No 5304 Interment of Arthur Rath The Edmonton Cemetery Co.
Certificate of Title for 1 interment designated as Grave 20, block 35 Sub section "0".
Dated at Edmonton the 13th. day of November. 1945 in consideration of the sum of Twenty Five Dollars. Paid by Frank Rath.
Frank Rath also paid $64.85 for the marker from The Edmonton Granit, Marble and Stone Co. Dates in Family bible.
31. ii Nellie Margaret Rath #1485 b. 19 Oct 1905.
32. iii Edna Olive Rath #1579 b. 7 Feb 1909.
iv Wilbert Roy Rath #1580 b. 18 Jan 1912, Leefield, AB, d. 5 Mar 1912, Minburn, AB. Death date in Family Bible.
33. v Hazel Day Rath #1581 b. 23 Dec 1915.
34. vi Annie Mildred Rath #1582 b. 22 Feb 1918.
35. vii Florence Evelyn Rath #1583 b. 11 Mar 1924.
17. Chesley Walter Rath #1575 (5.Walter2, 1.Andrew1) b. 16 Aug 1893, Camden, Colchester Co, NS, m. Eva Isobel Gardner #3467, b. 1886, d. 1967, buried: Camden Cem, Camden, NS, Stone # 11. Chesley died 1965, Camden, Colchester Co, NS, buried: Camden, NS, Stone #11. Truro Directory - County - 1918 - 1919: Rath, Chesley, Farmer, Camden. Birthdate from the 1901 Census for Camden and shows him living with his parents.
18. Charles Dawson Rath #1576 (5.Walter2, 1.Andrew1) b. 24 Feb 1897, Camden, NS, m. Gertrude Maude Rath #1637, b. 1906, Five Mile River, NS, Canada, (daughter of Isaac Rath #1607 and Susan Watson #1636) d. 22 Nov 1976, buried: Harmony Cem, NS. Charles died 1973, buried: Harmony Cem stone #3. Charles and Gertrude are 1st. cousins once removed.
36. ii Francis Dawson Rath #1640 b. 1926.
iii Charles Leslie Rath #1641.
iv Susan Blanche Rath #1642.
v Elroy Walter Rath #1643.
vi Winnifred Brenda Rath #1644.
vii Morris Roger Rath #1645.
viii Leah Faye Rath #1646.
19. Alonzo Rath #1624 (6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 26 Oct 1869, Camden, NS, occupation Sawyer, m. 24 May 1887, in Harmony, Col. Co., NS, Jessie C. Murray #2521, b. 8 Jun 1866, Harmony, NS, d. 1943. Alonzo died 1945, buried: Harmony Cem, Truro, NS, Stone # 114. Alonzo had a claw hand and could put a hook on it, I am not sure how he lost his hand. Jessie: Daughter of Duncan & Elizabeth (Smith) Murray.
ii Eleanor Rath #3307 b. 1891, m. Alex Goff #3410.
38. iii Nellie Rath #3308 b. 11 Apr 1895.
iv Lewis R. Sgt. Rath #3309 b. 3 Feb 1894, Truro E., NS, Canada, occupation 112th. Highlanders, d. 1966, buried: Harmony Cem, Truro, NS.
v Margaret Rath #3310 d. 1906.
vi Eldridge A. Rath #3311 b. 18 May 1889, Truro E., NS, Canada, occupation 185th. Highlanders, m. May Harnish #3418. Eldridge died 1955, buried: Harmony Cem, Truro, NS, Stone # 105.
20. Murdock Rath #1625 (6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 1868, Camden, NS, m. Estelle Berkley #2522, b. 1884, d. 1946. Murdock died 1958, NS, Canada. Murdock went to California when young, married and raised his family there.
40. ii George Rath #3551.
iii Charles Rath #3552.
21. Nancy Annie Rath #2524 (6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 1872, Camden, NS, m. (1) Len Golden #5238, b. 1872, m. (2) Daniel P Woods #16920. Nancy died 1945. "Annie" and her 4 children are listed in the home of her parents in the 1901 census - Salmon River, Colchester County, NS.
22. Ellen A. Rath #2525 (6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 21 Jan 1874, Camden, NS, m. 4 Jul 1892, in Harmony, Col. Co., NS, Frank Francis George Reid #3427, b. 20 Jun 1860, Colchester Co, NS, d. 24 Dec 1913, Harmony, Truro, NS, buried: Harmony Cem, Truro, NS, Stone # 111. Ellen died 19 Jan 1914, Harmony, Truro, NS, buried: Harmony Cem, Truro, NS, Stone # 111. Birthdate from the 1901 census for Salmon River, Lower Harmony, page 18. Frank: Birthdate from the 1901 Census for Salmon River, Harmony. Also shows he was of Scotch descent. He is the son of Simon & Janet Reid.
ii Blanche Reid #4998 b. 31 Mar 1896, Harmony, NS.
iii Germaine Reid #4999 b. 8 Nov 1897, Harmony, NS. The information was in the 1901 census. The first name is difficult to read and may be incorrect.
iv Viola Reid #5000 b. 31 Jul 1899, Harmony, NS.
23. Freeman Rath #2527 (6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 28 Jul 1877, Camden, NS, occupation Farmer, m. Minerva Pearson #3461, b. 25 Sep 1872, (daughter of Nancy _____ #4996) d. 1967. Freeman died 1960, Camden, NS, buried: Camden Cem, NS, Stone # 38. The 1901 Census shows Freeman's mother-in-law, Nancy Pearson, living with them in Camden. Listed in McAlpine's 1907-8 Directory: Farmer, Camden. Truro Directory - County: RATH, Freeman, farmer, Camden. Minerva: Daughter of John & Nancy Pearson.
ii Harry Alden Rath #3481 b. 1901, NS, m. Hazel McCallum #12571, b. 1908, d. 1997, buried: Camden Cemetery. Harry died 1989, NS, buried: Camden Cemetery, Camden, NS. Also buried in Camden Cemetery and written on same stone - Infant daughters Thelma Verna - 1928 and baby - 1937.
iii Ernest Rath #3482 m. Sally Gough #3519.
iv Jessie Rath #3483 m. Stuart Kirkpatrick #3520. Jessie died 17 Oct 1987.
47. v Elvin Rath #3484.
48. vi Stanley Rath #3462
24. Lawrence Rath #2528 (6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 4 May 1879, Camden, NS, m. Margaret Fields #3479. Lawrence died 1959, buried: Camden Cem, Camden, NS, Stone # 39. Listed in McAlpine's 1907-8 Directory: I C R, Camden.
25. Gertrude Maude Rath #1637 (9.Isaac3, 2.James2, 1.Andrew1) (See marriage to number 18.)
26. Melinda Rath #5001 (10.Andrew3, 2.James2, 1.Andrew1) b. 18 Apr 1897, Salmon River, Col. Co., NS, m. 23 Jul 1913, in Manganses Mines, col. Co., NS, William James McKenzie #15070, b. abt 1889, Manganese Mines, Col. Melinda died 26 Apr 1916, buried: Hilden Cemetery #90 stone # 202. Marriage record gives birthplace as Harmony and age as 16 years old. William: Age 24 at time of marriage. Son of John & Christy McKenzie.
27. Jane "Janie" Rath #3465 (10.Andrew3, 2.James2, 1.Andrew1) b. 6 Mar 1899, NS, m. Harold Hunt #3466, b. 1887.
28. Thelma Rath #3472 (12.Burton3, 4.Robert2, 1.Andrew1) b. 1908, Truro, NS, m. Dave C. Vernon #3980.
29. Dorothy Hermaine Rath #3473 (12.Burton3, 4.Robert2, 1.Andrew1) b. Hilden, NS, m. Charles Frederick Church #13546, b. Falmouth, NS. Dorothy died 11 Dec 1967, Halifax, NS, buried: Dartmouth Memorial Gardens. Charles: Son of Carl William Church and Marion Maude Cornwall.
30. Seldon Murray Dunbar #1630 (14.Elizabeth3, 4.Robert2, 1.Andrew1) b. 25 Mar 1908, West River, NS, Canada, occupation Gardner, m. 24 May 1931, in Portland, OR, USA, Isabella "Belle" Annie Scott #3435, b. Lethbridge, AB. Seldon died 26 Apr 1983, Portland, OR, USA, buried: Lincoln Memorial, Portland, OR. Isabella: Daughter of Robert Scott and Margaret Campbell.
31. Nellie Margaret Rath #1485 (16.Wilbert3, 5.Walter2, 1.Andrew1) b. 19 Oct 1905, Camden, Col. Co., NS, Canada, m. 19 Feb 1931, in Westlock, Alberta, Canada, Robert Stanley Davison #1479, b. 30 Aug 1901, Rawdon/Woodville, Hants Co., NS, Canada, (son of George William Davison #1474 and Ethel Outerbridge Wilcox #1478) occupation Truck driver, d. 3 Aug 1983, Kamloops, BC, buried: 6 Aug 1983, Clearwater, BC, Riverview Cem. Nellie died 17 Oct 1986, Clearwater, BC, Canada, buried: 21 Oct 1986, Clearwater, BC, United Church, Riverview Cemetery Plot M-13. A son, Leslie Roy Davison, was stillborn and buried on the homestead at Lone Pine, Alberta. Certicicate of Birth and Death on file. Moved to Clearwater 30 June, 1943, to Camp 3 on 30 Jun 1946.
32. Edna Olive Rath #1579 (16.Wilbert3, 5.Walter2, 1.Andrew1) b. 7 Feb 1909, NS, Canada, m. 23 Oct 1929, in Minburn, Alberta, Canada, Thomas Clifford Simmonds #1660, b. 20 Nov 1896, Elmsdale, Hants Co, NS, Canada, (son of Thomas Clifford Simmonds #4005) d. 19 Nov 1959, Alberta, Canada. Edna died 4 Feb 1932, Minburn, AB, Canada, buried: Minburn, AB.
33. Hazel Day Rath #1581 (16.Wilbert3, 5.Walter2, 1.Andrew1) b. 23 Dec 1915, Minburn, AB, Canada, occupation Dental Receptionist, m. 9 Jan 1941, in Minburn, Alberta, Canada, Wesley Isaac Powell #1647, b. 14 Feb 1908, Kenlis, SK, Canada, occupation Bank Manager, d. 2 Jan 1948, Leader, SK, Canada, buried: Leader, SK. Hazel died 9 Feb 1990, White Rock, BC, Canada, buried: Surrey, BC.
36. Francis Dawson Rath #1640 (18.Charles3, 5.Walter2, 1.Andrew1) b. 1926, m. Elizabeth M. #12905, b. 1929. Francis died Dec 1993, NS, Canada, buried: Harmony Cemetery, Truro, NS. Francis died of cancer. Also on the headstone is wife Elizabeth M. 1929
37. Elizabeth Rath #3306 (19.Alonzo3, 6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 25 Feb 1877, Hants Co., NS, m. 30 Dec 1906, in Windsor, NS, Alfred (Fred) Tarr #3312, b. 30 Sep 1882, NS, Canada, occupation Millwright/Farmer, d. 1 May 1966, buried: South Maitland, NS. Elizabeth died 15 Apr 1948, NS, Canada.
38. Nellie Rath #3308 (19.Alonzo3, 6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 11 Apr 1895, NS, m. Austin Anthony #3411.
39. Roetta Rath #3550 (20.Murdock3, 6.George2, 1.Andrew1) m. (1) divorced, Rodney Graf #3553, m. (2) Edwin Johns #3557.
40. George Rath #3551 (20.Murdock3, 6.George2, 1.Andrew1) m. Aleta Bales #3567.
46. Florence M. Rath #3478 (23.Freeman3, 6.George2, 1.Andrew1) b. 8 Apr 1900, NS, Canada, m. Frank MacKenzie #3485, b. 1889, d. 1967. Florence died 1977, buried: NS.
47. Elvin Rath #3484 (23.Freeman3, 6.George2, 1.Andrew1) m. Beatrice Mac Callum #3521.
48. Stanley Rath #3462 (23.Freeman3, 6.George2, 1.Andrew1) Camden, NS, occupation Farmer, m. in Truro, NS, Canada, ____ Latti #3463, b. Rawdon, Hants Co, NS, (daughter of Oran A. Lattie #12863 and Nettie Beatrice Skidmore #12864) occupation Teacher/Housewife. Dairy farmer.
Ruth Davison firstname.lastname@example.org