Jump to: EA EC ED EE EF EG EL EM EN ER ES EX
as of 2013-04-20
- •see the table of nobility
- •a person of odd or unconventional behavior.
- •a minister or priest; a cleric.
of Christian churches
in order of rank (highest first)
|-Autocephalous Orthodox Churches
|Archbishop, Primate, Metropolitan Bishop
||The chief bishop of a province
||See, Diocese, Bishopric
||Person ordained to perform specific religious rites and
||Member of the clergy engaged as an assistant to a parish
||Lay officer of the governing body
||Lay officer attending to church (diocesan) secular affairs
||Church and churchyard caretaker
||Attendant to the priest or deacon
- •a striptease artist; stripper
(=ecdysis: Gr. a stipping off; shedding skin)
- •a body type (somatotype) of person having a lean, slightly muscular body build
in which tissues derived from the embryonic ectoderm predominate.
- cf mesomorph,
- cf endomorph
- •one trained in teaching; a teacher.
- •a specialist in the theory and practice of education.
- •an administrator of a school or educational institution.
- •One who receives or benefits from an action: (e.g. address~)
- •One who possesses a certain thing: (e.g. mortgag~)
- •One performing a certain action: (e.g. absent~)
- cf -or
- cf -er
- •a suffix forming nouns meaning "person concerned with or engaged in",
(auctioneer, mountaineer, profiteer)
- •a suffix designating armed forces employing a particular armament,
- •used as a title of respect for men in Turkey, equivalent to sir.
- •a educated or respected man in the Middle East.
- •a specialist who seeks to increase the productivity of an
enterprise through improvements to operational or process efficiency.
- •an egocentric person (=devoted to one's own interests).
- •an egotist.
- •an adherent of egoism (=the ethical doctrine that self-interest is the just and proper motive for all human endeavor).
- •a conceited, boastful person.
- •a selfish, self-centered person.
- •an older person.
- •an older, influential member of a family.
- •eccl one of the governing officers of a church, often having
pastoral or teaching duties.
- •LDS a member of the higher order of the priesthood.
- elder statesman
- •a prominent, highly experienced elder person,
especially a retired official in an unofficial advisory role.
- •GB one who is legally qualified to vote in elections
for members of Parliament.
- •US a member of the Electoral College, chosen by the several states
to elect the President and Vice-President.
- •Knights ~: the four gentlemen appointed by the sheriff to serve as members
of a jury, and to elect the remaining members, in the process of trial
by "Grand Assize"
- •G formerly, one of the Princes entitled to take part in the election
of the Emperor.
- •one who leaves one country or region to settle in another,
usually with reference to the place of origin.
e.g. (e.g. ~ from England)
cf immigrant, migrant
- •one who has left one's native country, esp. for political reasons.
- •one who works for another in return for financial or other compensation.
- •an individual whose body type (somatotype) is characterized by a relative prominence of the abdomen and other soft body parts derived from the embrionic endodermal layer.
- cf ectomorph,
- cf mesomorph.
- •one employed to make a fair copy of a legal document
- •one who reproduces (e.g. a document) in a larger hand or format
- •mil. the lowest rank of commissioned infantry officer
- •dipl a messenger or representative, esp on a diplomatic mission
- envoy extraordinary
- •dipl a minister plenipotentiary,
ranking below ambassador and above chargé d'affairs.
- •suffix a person, animal or thing
that performs a specified action or activity.
(e.g. cobbl~), (e.g. execution~).
- •a person or thing that has a specified
attribute or form.
(e.g. comput~), (e.g. pok~)
- •a person concerned with a specified
thing or subject.
(e.g. hatt~), (e.g. geograph~).
- •a person belonging to a specified
place or group.
(e.g. villag~), (e.g. New York~).
- •G Designating hereditary nobles from courtesy titles,
- cf Kron-
- •A title of dignity below knight and above gentleman.
- •The title placed after the name of an attorney.
- •A title appended to a man's surname when no other form of address is used,
esp. in correspondence.
See the WikiPedia article.
- •one who performs or carries out, esp a skilled performer.
- •one who executes, esp one who puts a condemned person to death.
- •mil the officer second in command of a military unit smaller than a division.
- •nav the officer second in command of a naval unit, as aboard a ship;
- exec Also: XO
- •informal executive officer
- •a person appointed by a testator to carry out the terms of his or her will
- •eccl one empowered or trained to exorcise
(=to expel evil spirits by or as if by incantation, command or prayer)
- •one who has taken up residence in a foreign country.
- •one who has renounced one's native land.
Jump to: EA EC ED EE EF EG EL EM EN ER ES EX