Thomas Hamilton CUMMING
Birth: 16 APR 1842, Markham, Ontario, Canada
Death: 10 JAN 1913, Fergus, Ontario, Canada
- Married Mary Elizabeth BEATTIE on 20 FEB 1868 at Fergus, Ontario
1873 Well over 35 years as a carriage maker. Home at 296 St. Andrews St. East, Fergus Ontario. Built by T.H. Cumming. Jan Newton owns the home & works at Museum. Quotes from A.E. Bryerly 1932-1934 The Fergus Webster Settlement. Thomas H. Cumming is remembers as one of the fine old residents of Fergus, a man noted for his honesty and integrity, and a worthwhile citizen. He was born at Markham, in 1842, his father being Thomas H Cumming and his mother Agnes Gemmell. When a young man Mr. Cumming wet to the United States and about 1865 came to Fergus. On the 20th February, 1868, he married Mary Elizabeth Beattie, daughter of James and Elizabeth Beattie, of Lower Nochol. After coming to Fergus, Mr Cumming worked for Little and Wilson blacksmiths, and then spent a few years in Guelph, but about 1873 he started a new business in Fergus a carriage builder. This he continued for many years. He was a man much respected and died in 1913 much regretted by a large circle of friends. BUSINESS - T.H.Cumming, Cariage Manufacture, Is well located on East St. Andrews Street, where he has a substancial building well equipped with all the various departments including wood and paint shops, trimming room, repository etc. and a number of new rigs are constantly on hand. Special attention is given to new work, turning out a full line of buggies and carraiges (both single and double seated) also spring and road wagons, cutters and sleighs. In new vehicles, only the best grade of material is used, with workmanship guaranteed. Mr. Cumming reports a good trade this summer with customers coming from of distance of 12 to 15 miles. A large business is done in all kinds of carriage and wagon repairing, while old buggies are repainted.
| Return to Home Page