Carl Heinrich Klinksiek modo Tiemann lived with his wife Catharine Louise Wehmeier and children Carl Friedrich Tiemann (born Sept. 11, 1804) and Anne Marie Wilhelmine Klinksiek (born March 20 1808) in Legern #51 in the area of Kirchlengern and Buende. Carl Heinrich’s occupation was listed as Leibzucher in Legern #51. Leibzuechter is an expression for the retired people on a farm. They carried on at the farm in a small house, got a small amount of money, a little piece of garden and some animal so they could live and were not a burden to the farm.
I’m not quite sure where the name Tiemann came from. His son Carl Friedrich used modo Tiemann, while Anne used the maiden name Klinksiek Anne used Obenhaus after she married. (The story of using "modo" is whenever a man married a girl that inherited a farm he had to take the name of that girl. Modo is Latin and simply means or.)
Someone whose ancestors came from Klosterbauerschaft, which is near the villages of Kirchlengern and Buende, wrote the following: Klosterbauerschaft, was reportedly a political community since it is the most northern village in the rural district of Herfor adjacent to the parish of Oberbauerschaft in the rural district of Luebbecke. Klosterbauerschaft encircles in the form of a horseshoe the political community of Stift-Quernheim thus forming together with the village of Rehmerloh the parish of Stift Quernheim. The old and venerable church with its medieval and beautifully carved altar is located in Stift-Quernheim and has survived the old times of the monastery and nunnery. The village grounds are divided from north to south by five peaceful little rivulets with bordering bushes, trees and pastures alongside the slopes. The Spradower brook forms the western border to the neighboring village of Duenne. At the same time this brook is the historical border between the old dioceses (sees) of Osnabrueck and Minden. The Muehlenbach rivulet coming down from the "Wiehen" hills in the east gives power to three centuries-old corn mills in the parish of Stift-Quernheim. Just like the rivulets there are also four streets from north to south, two streets from north-west to south-east and only one street from Buende over Duenne to Luebbecke runs through Klosterbauerschaft from west to east.
Looking down from the flat roof of the Eggersmann mill, the surroundings of Klosterbauerschaft seem like a vast park. Bushes and hollow parts separate fields and pastures. Quiet hamlets are dreamily situated in the comb of Langenwand. Scattered farms crouch behind big trees on the outskirts of the village. For many centuries they were uniquely built as frame houses made of oak trees and clay (later on stones) and painted black and white. Today houses are gray stone buildings - either old ones redone or the newly built.
Sources: Greimann@home.nl and http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/NRHE-WFA/lippe.html
Compiled by Angie Collier May 2002
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids