Excerpt from: GAZETTEER and DIRECTORY of the COUNTY OF GREY for 1865-6. By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound. FEVERSHAM. A thriving little village in the township of Osprey, a little N.W. of the centre of the township, situated on the upper waters of the Beaver River. It is 1 1/2 miles North of the Durham and Collingwood Gravel Road, the nearest point on that road being about a mile East of Maxwell. It is 18 m. from Collingwood, 3 1/2 m. from Maxwell, 12 from Flesherton, 42 from Owen Sound, and 27 from Durham. Feversham was not a Government Townplot, but began to grow into shape six years ago, when the late Edward Horton Esq., laid out a portion of his property into lots. Mr. Horton built the Grist and Sawmills in 1860. The Flouring Mill has two run of stones, with conveniences for Oatmeal mill, if required. The Sawmill is a first class mill, and will turn out 4,000 ft. lumber per day. There are still two spare water privileges at Feversham. The River here is a consideble stream, yet of a very manageble size for milling purposes. It runs between precipitous rocky banks of about 20 ft. in height, having as it were cut its way through. The river is quite rapid, and a short distance below the village forms pretty cascade of 6 or 8 feet. The Mills are now the property of Arthur McRoberts, Esq. The village contains a Postoffice, 2 Stores, a School House, 2 Churches, both frame buildings; Grist mill, Sawmill, Tavern, Cabinet Maker, Tailor and Carpenter. In the Canada Presbyterian Church, there are religious services every second Sabbath; by Rev. Jas. Greenfield, of Stayner. In the Episcopal Methodist Church, services every second Sabbath, by Rev. John Foster, of Eugenia. There is a Loyal Orange Lodge in Feversham, and a flourishing Temple of the Independent Order of Good Templars. Mails, Monday and Friday. Brownell, Rev. D. E., Wesleyan Methodist. Campbell, Richard, Teacher. Edwards, George, Cabinet maker. FISHER, ALEXANDER, Proprietor Feversham House. Horton, Mrs. (widow Edward). Horton, George, Potash Manufacturer. Horton, Samuel, Farmer. HERON, DUNCAN, Lessee Sawmill. LOGIE, JAMES, General Dealer in Country Produce, Dry Goods, Groceries, Clothing, Boots and Shoes, &c. McROBERTS, ARTHUR, Proprietor Grist and Sawmills. Pipe, Henry, Carpenter. Pye, Charles, Tailor. SPROULE, MRS., Postmistress, and General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c.
Excerpt from: GAZETTEER and DIRECTORY of the COUNTY OF GREY for 1865-6. By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound. FLESHERTON. A growing village near the centre of the Township of Artemisia, at the intersection of the "Toronto and Sydenham" and Durham and Collingwood Gravel Roads. A few years ago, W. K. Flesher, Esq., for some years Reeve of the Township and Warden of the County, laid out a portion of his property in village lots, and named the place "Flesherton," by which name it is generally known, though the post office is still known by the original name "Artemisia." Had the other owners of property co-operated with Mr. Flesher, the place would doubtless have been larger by this date. Until the Gravel Road was opened up, there was little at "Flesher Corners" but the two taverns, and a sawmill not now in existence. After the gravelling of the two intersecting Roads, the place began rapidly to improve. The Sawmill, the fulling mill, the stores, &c., are all the result of the last two or three years. The village has a postoffice, 3 stores, 2 taverns, several carpenters, a pump-maker, a blacksmith shop, a Sawmill, a carding and fulling mill, 2 churches, 2 resident clergymen, and a resident physician. It is 5 m. from Priceville, 37 m. from Orangeville, 30 m. to Owen Sound, and 30 m. to Collingwood Harbor. The Postoffice was first established about 12 years ago, at the first settlement of the "Toronto Line." J. P. Fowler is the present Postmaster. Mails daily to and from Collingwood and Durham; on Wednesdays and Saturdays to and from Chatsworth; on Mondays and Thursdays to Orangeville, and on Tuesdays and Fridays from Orangeville. A section of the Township Library is kept in the village, W. K. Flesher, Librarian. There is at present no Grist Mill in the villge, though one is contemplated, and partially erected. There is a very large traffic through the village, setting Eastward toward Collingwood. The Mill stream is small, a tributary of the Beaver River, sometimes called "Boyne Water." The N. C. Methodist and Wesleyan Churches are both frame buildings; the latter was erected in 1864. Ainsley, Julius, Farmer. Bonnar, Dr. D., Associate Coroner, &C., boards Jones' Hotel. BOYNE WATER HOTEL, John Jones, Proprietor. Cairns, Archibald, Farmer. Campbell, Peter, Carding and Fulling Mill. CAMPBELL, RICHARD, Township Clerk, (1 1/2 m. S. E.) Clayton, William, Boot and Shoemaker. Davidson, William, Farmer. Dunwoodie, John, Farmer. FLESHERTON HOTEL, A. Munshaw, Proprietor. FLESHER, WILLIAM K., J. P., Proprietor Sawmill, General Merchant, Warden of the County. Hooper, William, Carpenter. Hurd, John H., General Blacksmith. Houx, Ward, Pump and Sieve Maker. Jacques, Rev. George, Wesleyan Methodist. JONES, JOHN, Proprietor, "Boyne Water Hotel." Jackson, Rev. Thomas, New Connexion Methodist. Keefer, George, Carpenter. King, J. H., Farmer. Marshall, James, Teacher. MUNSHAW, AARON, Proprietor Flesherton Hotel. Munshaw, Aaron, Sr., Farmer. McSorley, John, Farmer. Rolph, Bartholemew. Stewart, George, Farmer. TRIMBLE, ROBERT, General Merchant and Farmer. TOWLER, JAMES P., Postmaster; General Merchant:
Excerpt from: GAZETTEER and DIRECTORY of the COUNTY OF GREY for 1865-6. By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound. MAXWELL. A new and rising village in the township of Osprey, on the Durham and Collingwood Gravel Road. Population about 60. It is 9 m. from the Toronto and Sydenham Road at Flesherton, and 20 m. distant from Collingwood Harbour. The place contains a Post office, a store, two churches, school-house, tavern, Blacksmiths, Shoemaker, Carpenters, Spinning wheel maker, Cabinetmaker, &C. There is a large traffic across the country continually setting toward the Railway at Collingwood, and its influence is tending to build up Maxwell and other places on the route of the Gravel Road. As an example of the amount of trade which may be done even in a small place by enterprise and capital, it nay be mentioned that the firm of Sutherland & Bowes, Merchants, took in, in the winter of 1863-4, 32,000 bushels of Grain, and 50,000 lbs. of Pork, and teamed the whole to Collingwood. Mr. Maxwell has erected and removed into a new and commodious Hotel during the past few months. The two chapels belong to the Wesleyan Methodists and the Canada Presbyterians, respectively. They are new and scarcely yet finished. Rev. James Greenfield, of Stayer (Presbyterian), preaches every four weeks. Rev. D. E. Brownell, of Feversham (Wesleyan) every two weeks; and Rev. I. Ryder (Primitive Methodist), every four weeks. Bowes, George S. (of Sutherland and Bowes.) Field, Henry, Boot and Shoemaker. GAMEY, THOMAS, Farmer, commissioner in Queen's Bench; J.P. (2 miles West.) GUY, WILLIAM, Horse-shoer and General Blacksmith. Heron, Thomas, Carpenter. Heron, Robert, Carpenter and Builder. Heron, Duncan, Farmer, Lessee Feversham Sawmill. Heron, Richard, Farmer. Long, Hosea, Farmer. Long, Wesley, Carpenter. MAXWELL, JOSEPH, Proprietor Maxwell Hotel, and Postmaster. Sproule, James, Farmer. Sageon, Joseph, Farmer. SUTHERLAND & BOWES, General Dealers in Country Produce, Dry Goods, Groceries, Boots and Shoes, &C. Sutherland, James A. (of Sutherland & Bowes.) Shields, Andrew, Cabinet maker. SCOTT, ROBERT, Blacksmith. ( 3/4 m. East).
Excerpt from: GAZETTEER and DIRECTORY of the COUNTY OF GREY for 1865-6. By W. W. SMITH, Owen Sound. EUGENIA. A town plot in the township of Artemisia, at the Falls of the Beaver River, 4 1/2 m. from Flesherton, 20 m. S. of Meaford, 26 m. from Collingwood by present route, and 35 from Owen Sound. In August, 1858, Messrs. Purdy commenced operations in Eugenia. A house was run up, a small clearing made, &c., near the brink of the Falls. The sawmill was built in 1859, and the flouring mill put in operation in 1860. The town plot consists of 800 acres. None of it except the mill plot is yet sold by the Government. A few inhabitants have taken possession of town or park lots, and some improvements have been made. In 1864, the Municipal Council of Artemisia memorialized the Crown Land Department in favour of selling the lots in Eugenia and Priceville. The people of Eugenia opposed it, as far as their town was concerned, and the "Department" took their view of the subject. Residents giving the County Crown Land Agent satisfactory proof of having built on the town lots, or made improvements to a specified extent on the Park lots, are allowed to purchase them of the Government at fixed reasonable rates. The inhabitants think this is more to the interest of the village than having the town plot sold by auction, as in the latter case a larger portion would get into the hands of absentees. The place has now outgrown its first difficulties; mills have been built, a village site cleared, roads to some extent opened out and a steady growth may reasonably be anticipated. The place was surveyed nine or ten years ago, during the Crimean War, and the names of the streets, Alma, Balaklava, Raglan, Codrington, &c., bear witness to the exciting interest of the time. The village contains a Postoffice and store, a tavern, three or four carpenters, a grist mill, a sawmill, plasterer, a painter, a boot and shoemaker, &c. There are two first class water privileges, not in use, above the Falls, in the town plot, besides the rapids below the Falls, and the Falls themselves, which latter, it is hoped, may be long unvexed with labouring wheels, to give pleasure to the lovers of the picturesque, the grand and the beautiful. The Grist Mill is 45 x 35 ft, 3 1/2 stories high, contains two run of stones, and water power and room for more. The River is very swift, and the water abundant, and "no dam" is required. The mill is a very short distance above the brink of the Falls. The sawmill is a little further up. At another excellent water privilege, a quarter of a mile above, the frame of a Woollen Factory was erected, but has not been finished. Elliott, Thomas, Boot and Shoemaker. Eligh, Charles, Potash Worker. Foster, Rev. John, Episcopal Methodist. Harris, Elias, Farmer, Park lots. Hawkins, Joseph, Farmer, Park lots. Hislop, Adam, Miller, Eugenia Mills. HALSTED, S. T., Proprietor Eugenia Hotel. Long, E. G. Teamster. Purdy, Alexander, Proprietor Grist and SawMill. PURDY, R. McLEAN, General Merchant, Postmaster, Commissioner in Queen's Bench, and Issuer of Marriage Licenses, J. P. Sloan, Jacob, Carpenter. Saunders, John, Carpenter. Saunders, Samuel, House and Sign Painter Saunders, William, Carpenter. Whitney, S. T., Carpenter. Mails on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to and from Flesherton, on "Toronto and Sydenham" Gravel Road. EUGENIA FALLS. The feature for which Eugenia is most noted and oftenest visited, is far famed Falls of the Beaver River, known as "Artemisia" or "Eugenia" Falls. The River, a very considerable stream of clear cold water, plunges over a precipice of 7O feet, in one unbroken sweep. The view, especially from below, is sublime. The rocks are precipitous on either side, and on the Southern side a steep hill rises from the brink to a considerable height above, the falls. The descent into the wild ravine below is attended with some difficulty. We were unable, on the occasion of our last visit, to make the descent, being in mid winter. The cataract shot out, from under a jagged curtain of blue ice, and disappered in the huge crater of a rising icecone that had crept up one third the height of the falls. All was silent, majestic, and most beautifal. Adventurous visitors in summer sometimes go behind the sheet of falling waters, but it is an operation attended with difficulty, at times rather dangerous, from the blinding, and stifling force of the spray. The fall is much visited, and will amply repay a day's journey to see it. The best route from Owen Sound is by the Toronto and Sydenham Gravel Road to Flesherton. Eugenia is two miles from the nearest point on the Gravel Road, which would be three miles East of Flesherton. From Collingwood, the route would be via Singhampton and Maxwell. In either case, the best return route is by the descent of the Beaver River Valley to Meaford. The magnificence of the view will more than compensate for the newer and rougher road. R. McLean Purdy, Esq., the courteous Postmaster at Eugenia, exhibits in his Store the antlers of an immense moose, found in a chasm of the rock below the falls. The animal had probably fallen into a snow covered chasm, and perished by wolves or hunger. From tip to tip the antlers would measure when uninjured (one is complete), 4 ft. 8 in. The whole weighs, with one antler mostly gone, and the lower jaw wanting, 16 1/2 lbs., or about 30 lbs. when complete. The unbroken antler has, for the length of 16 inches, a breadth of 8 inches on its "flat"; in other words a piece 16 x 8 inches might be sawn out of one horn. Mr. Purdy also shows the curious visitor, some specimens of the "Fools' Gold" of 1852; and "thereby hangs a tale." In 1852, when the country was very new and wild, somebody thought he had discovered gold in the rocks below the falls. The secret at first was known only to two or three, or at most half a dozen; and they wrought like beavers to make their "pile" before the whole country should come flocking to the diggings, and the Government interfere with their free mining. But "murder will out," and rumours of gold seem carried by the very air; and it was not many days till another prospecting party discovered them from the brink of the precipice, hard at work in the chasm. Seeing they were discovered, they laid down their picks, and held a parley. The newcomers were anxious to be assured that it was the "real stuff," being a little doubtful on that point. "Well," said an old man, wiping the sweat from his brow, and sitting down on a very respectable pile of the purest and most glittering "rocks" he had been able to find. "Well, if it's gold, I've got enough, and if it isn't gold, I've got enough!" One adventurous waggonmaker, from the County of York, happening to be in the region, made a rush with the rest to the diggings, and soon departed homeward, several days journey through woods and bushroads, with a backbreaking load in a bag. All the way home he was resolving what use to make of his wealth. He decided on selling his shop, buying and stocking a good farm, and living in comfort the rest of his days. He got home, and before he slept kindled up his forge fire to melt down a little of the precious stuff. The catastrophe was entirely unanticipated. The sulphurious fumes and horrible stench of the vile stuff choked him, and well nigh drove him out of the premises. The harder he blew, the more horrible became the stifling fumes, till in despair he pitched the whole lot into the street! He had carried home a backload of worthless iron pyrites!
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids