Clifton W. Bush
Generation No. 1
1. NICHOLAS1 PORTER was born 1636, and died WFT Est. 1682-1731. He married ELIZABETH MITCHELL. She was born WFT Est. 1636-1659, and died WFT Est. 1682-1746.
Child of NICHOLAS PORTER and
ELIZABETH MITCHELL is:
2. i. BENJAMIN2 PORTER, b. 1679, COUNTY DOWN, IRELAND; d. Aft. 1772.
Generation No. 2
2. BENJAMIN2 PORTER (NICHOLAS1) was born 1679 in COUNTY DOWN, IRELAND, and died Aft. 1772. He married ANN CAMPBELL. She was born 1681 in WALES.
Children of BENJAMIN PORTER and ANN
i. BENJAMIN3 PORTER, b. 1705; d. 1761.
ii. WILLIAM PORTER, SR., b. 1707; d. 1782; m. JEAN BLACK.
iii. SAMUEL PORTER, b. 1709; d. 1765.
iv. MARY PORTER, b. 1711; m. JOHN SHROPSHIRE, 1757.
3. v. PATRICK PORTER, b. 01 May 1737, ORANGE ,VA.; d. 28 April 1805, FLOYD COUNTY KY..
Generation No. 3
3. PATRICK3 PORTER
(BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born 01 May 1737 in ORANGE
County,VA., and died 28 April 1805 in FLOYD COUNTY KY..
He married SUSANNA WALKER 1755 in ORANGE CITY N.C., daughter of JOHN WALKER and ANN HOUSTON. She was born 08 March 1739 in ORANGE CITY N.C., and died 28 April 1795.
Notes for PATRICK PORTER:
Patrick Porter built his Fort House and Grits Mill, 1772 in Dungannon Virginia . At that time known as Falling Creek , Fincastle County Virginia. It was a Two story log building with a hugh fire place, it was later used as the Masonic Lodge.
More About PATRICK PORTER:
Fact: Played the violin
Residence: N. C. , Ky. , Va.
More About SUSANNA WALKER:
Children of PATRICK PORTER and
SUSANNA WALKER are:
i. ANN4 PORTER, m. SAMUEL RITCHIE, 1790; d. 16 December 1818.
Notes for SAMUEL RITCHIE:
Home (South side of Clinch River Down stream from Dungannon ) "Ritchie's Fort " . Ritchie separated from his wife Ann Porter in 1793. He owned two tracts of land on the south side of Clinch River settling upon one in 1775. He was a member of the first Court of Scott Co. and was Justice of the Peace and active in the political life of Scott County. for many years. His marriage to Ann was never annulled, but he took Frances Kendrick as a common law wife and lived with her until death.
SAMUAL ENLISTED IN THE VIRGINIA
MILITIA UNDER CAPTAIN WILLIAM
RUSSELL IN 1774 HE SERVED TWO TOURS ONE OF 17 DAYS AND ANOTHER OF 99 DAYS HE JOINED HIS BROTHER AND THE OTHER MEN FROM THE CLINCH RIVER VALLEY AND MARCHED OVER THE MOUNTAIN TO FIGHT THE BATTLE OF KINGS MOUNTAIN.
More About SAMUEL RITCHIE:
Fact: 21 August 1782, WAS APPOINTED APPRAISER IN WASHINGTON COUNTY VIRGINIA ALONG WITH PATRICK PORTER.
Marriage Notes for ANN PORTER and
DIVORCED IN 1797 AND TOOK COMMON LAW WIFE FRANCES KINDRICK.
4. ii. SAMUEL PORTER, SR., b. 07
February 1757, COUNTY DOWN, IRELAND; d. 18 July 1815, RUSSELL CTY. VA..
iii. SUSANNA ELISABETH PORTER, b. 29 July 1763, GUILFORD CTY. N.C.; d. 30 November 1802, PEORIA ILL.; m. JOHN MONTGOMERY, 05 August 1785.
5. iv. JOHN WALKER PORTER, b. 19 April 1759, GUILFORD CTY. N.C.; d. 23 November 1842, FLOYD CTY. KY JOHNS CREEK.
6. v. KATHERINE PORTER, b. 09 June 1768, GUILFORD CTY. N.C.; d. 05 September 1853, SCOTT CTY. VA., BURRIED DALE CARTER CEM..
vi. MARY PORTER, b. 25 January 1771; d. 1842, FRANKLIN CTY. IND.; m. JOHN ALLEY, 29 April 1790, CASTLEWOOD RUSSEL CTY. VA.; b. 08 July 1764, HENRICO CO. VA.; d. 1842, FRANKLIN CO. INDIANA.
vii. PATRICK PORTER,JR., b. 12 February 1776; m. ELIZABETH PENDLETON, 03 April 1814.
7. viii. JANE PORTER, b. 09 September 1761, GUILFORD CTY. N.C.; d. 15 September 1842.
Generation No. 4
4. SAMUEL4 PORTER, SR. (PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born 07 February 1757 in COUNTY DOWN, IRELAND, and died 18 July 1815 in RUSSELL CTY. VA.. He married MARY ALLEY 1770, daughter of JAMES ALLEY.
Notes for SAMUEL PORTER, SR.:
SAMUEL TRAVELLED WITH DANIEL BOON TO KENTUCKY IN 1773 AND IN 1778 ANSWERED BOONE'S REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE IN DEFENDING BOONESBOROUGH.
More About SAMUEL PORTER, SR.:
Notes for MARY ALLEY:
MARY (NICKNAME POLLY ) WAS CAPTURED BY THE INDIANS IN 1777. THE INDIANS, ON THEIR WAY NORTHWARD, ALSO CAPTURED JANE WHITTAKER NEAR MOORE'S FORT, AND TOOK THEM TO THEIR HOME AT THE PRESENT SITE OF SANDUSKY, OHIO. THEIR ESCAPE AND JOURNEY BACK HOME HAS BECOME ONE OF THE CLASSIC STORIES OF VA. LAST FRONTIER.
More About MARY ALLEY:
Children of SAMUEL PORTER and MARY
i. ALEXANDER5 PORTER.
ii. JAMES PORTER, m. POLLY WILLIAMSON.
iii. JANE PORTER.
iv. SUSANNAH PORTER.
v. ELIZABETH PORTER, b. 02 August 1789; d. 10 June 1833; m. THOMAS BEVINS, 19 November 1807; b. 22 August 1788.
8. vi. SAMUEL L. PORTER, JR, b. 1800, SCOTT CTY. VA.; d. 21 March 1883, PORTER CEM. SCOTT CTY. VA..
vii. JOSEPH PORTER.
5. JOHN WALKER4 PORTER
(PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) (Source: Gordon Aronhime
Papers--Southwest Virginia index card #30 John Porter.) was born 19 April
1759 in GUILFORD CTY. N.C., and died 23 November 1842 in FLOYD CTY. KY
JOHNS CREEK. He married MARTHA HUTCHINSON (Source: Gordon Aronhime
Papers--Southwest Virginia index card #30 John Porter, Porter Card #30.)
31 January 1789 in RYE COVE SCOTT CO. VA., daughter of PETER HUTCHINSON
and NANCY GREEN. She was born 1770 in Russell County Virginia, and died Aft. 1849.
Notes for JOHN WALKER PORTER:
In 1818 John and his wife Martha moved to John's Creek in the Big Sandy Valley of Kentucky. The eastern portion of Kentucky was still Indian country. This valley was well watered with many streams, rivers and creeks gradually flowing into the Ohio River. John's application for a Bounty Land Warrent and a Pension for his Revolutionary War service was granted. He was awarded 160 acres on John's Creek. Floyd County Kentucky. He also received a Pension of $65.55 per year.
More About JOHN WALKER PORTER:
Military service: SERVED ON THE VIRGINIA FRONTIER AS INDIAN FIGHTER AND SCOUT
More About MARTHA HUTCHINSON:
Military service: NICKNAME PATSY
Child of JOHN PORTER and MARTHA
i. SAMUEL WALKER5 PORTER, b. 20 March 1795, VA.; d. 19 May 1881, JOHNSON COUNTY KY.; m. ANNA RAINES; b. 1800, VA..
More About SAMUEL WALKER PORTER:
Military service: SERVED IN WAR OF 1812.
6. KATHERINE4 PORTER (PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born 09 June 1768 in GUILFORD CTY. N.C., and died 05 September 1853 in SCOTT CTY. VA., BURRIED DALE CARTER CEM.. She married DALE CARTER.
Children of KATHERINE PORTER and DALE
i. THOMAS5 CARTER.
ii. ANN H. CARTER.
iii. MARY CARTER.
7. JANE4 PORTER (PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2,
NICHOLAS1) was born 09 September 1761 in GUILFORD CTY. N.C., and died 15
September 1842. She married (1) JAMES GREEN I 1781. He was born
Abt. 1757 in CULPEPPER, WASHINGTON CO. VA., and died 31 December 1782 in POUND
RIVER, SCOTT COUNTY VIRGINIA. She married (2)ROBERT KILGORE,REV
1785, son of CHARLES KILGORE
and WINNIE CLAYTON. He was born 1765, and died 29 March 1854.
Notes for JAMES GREEN I:
James Green with two other hunters was on a hunting trip, which tradition says was on the Pound River in Wise County Va. They were surprised by Indians at their camp near the mouth of Indian Creek on December 1782, and James Green and one other hunter was slain, the third escaped with his life.
More About ROBERT KILGORE,REV:
Military service: REVOLUTIONARY SOLDER, KINGS MT.
Child of JANE PORTER and JAMES GREEN
9. i. JAMES5 GREEN II, b. 12 February 1783, Washington County Virginia; d. 06 October 1851, Wood, Scott County Virginia.
Generation No. 5
8. SAMUEL L.5 PORTER, JR (SAMUEL4,
PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) (Source: Census Bickley's Mill Township 1860,
Samuel Porter.) was born 1800 in SCOTT CTY. VA., and died 21 March 1883 in
PORTER CEM. SCOTT CTY. VA..
He married MARY MOORE (Source: Census Bickley's Mill Township 1860, Mary (Moore) Porter.) 19 December 1815 in Scott Cty. Va.. She was born 1801, and died 09 December 1880 in PORTER CEM. SCOTT CTY. VA..
More About SAMUEL L. PORTER, JR:
Military service: SERVED IN WAR OF 1812
Notes for MARY MOORE:
Russell-Scott County census shows Mary's name as Polly. List all the children and has correct age for all.
More About MARY MOORE:
Religion: CHURCH PRESBYTERIAN
Children of SAMUEL PORTER and MARY
i. HENDERSON6 PORTER.
10. ii. THOMAS M. PORTER, b. 1828; d. 1892.
11. iii. SAMUEL PATTON PORTER, b. 05 October 1834, SCOTT CTY. VA.; d. 11 February 1909.
iv. ELIZA D PORTER, b. 1838.
v. MARY ELIZABETH PORTER, b. 1838.
12. vi. DANIEL MARION PORTER, b. 18 December 1839.
vii. HUGH E. PORTER, b. 22 October 1844, BREWSTER VA.; d. 19 June 1908, CASTLEWOOD VA.; m. SARAH C. LAWSON, 11 April 1866; b. 1847, SCOTT COUNTY VA..
More About HUGH E. PORTER:
Military service: CAPTURED IN CIVIL WAR , IMPRESIONED IN OHIO
Notes for SARAH C. LAWSON:
SCOTT COUNTY MARRIAGE RECORDS LIST HER AS SARAH STRONG, AGE 19 WIDOW DAUGHTER OF HENRY LAWSON.
viii. MARTHA PORTER, b. 1845.
9. JAMES5 GREEN II (JANE4 PORTER, PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born 12 February 1783 in Washington County Virginia, and died 06 October 1851 in Wood, Scott County Virginia. He married DULCENA STALLARD Abt. 1802. She was born 09 September 1781 in Scott County Va., and died 24 September 1842 in Scott County Va..
Children of JAMES GREEN and DULCENA
i. MARY ANN6 GREEN, b. 1807.
ii. SUSAN GREEN, b. 1808.
13. iii. ROBERT KILGORE GREEN, b. 10 June 1811, ELLIOTT CO. KY.; d. 02 September 1875, ELLIOTT CO. KY..
iv. ELIZA JANE GREEN, b. Abt. 1812.
14. v. JAMES GREEN III, b. Abt. 1815; d. Aft. 1880, ELLIOTT CO. KY..
vi. WILLIAM WELLINGTON GREEN,SR., b. Abt. 1817.
vii. JAILEY GREEN, b. 1821.
viii. MARTIN WOOD GREEN, b. 1823.
ix. ALMEDIA GREEN, b. 1828.
Generation No. 6
10. THOMAS M.6 PORTER (SAMUEL L.5, SAMUEL4, PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) (Source: Census Bickley's Mill Township 1860, Thomas M. Porter.) was born 1828, and died 1892. He married HANNAH M. FUGATE. She was born 1826, and died 1886.
Children of THOMAS PORTER and HANNAH
i. ISAAC H.7 PORTER, b. 1852.
ii. MARY L. PORTER, b. 09 September 1854.
iii. MARTHA E. PORTER, b. 1856.
iv. SAMUEL P. PORTER, b. 1860.
v. JOHN LARKIN PORTER, b. 10 October 1865; d. 31 December 1931; m. MARCELLA ANNE SLUSS; b. 27 April 1870; d. 31 December 1907.
11. SAMUEL PATTON6 PORTER (SAMUEL L.5, SAMUEL4, PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born 05 October 1834 in SCOTT CTY. VA., and died 11 February 1909. He married NANCY BAKER LAWSON 11 November 1853 in SCOTT CTY. VA., daughter of HENRY LAWSON and JANE ADDINGTON. She was born 28 April 1836 in SCOTT CTY. VA., and died 21 November 1913 in DUNGANNON VA. PORTER CEM..
More About SAMUEL PATTON PORTER:
Ocupation: FARMER-CONF. SOLDIER
More About NANCY BAKER LAWSON:
Children of SAMUEL PORTER and NANCY
i. GEORGE7 PORTER, m. NELIA BYERS.
ii. RHODA PORTER.
iii. LAURA E. PORTER, b. 1856; m. FLEETWOOD NASH, 15 February 1935; b. 1851.
iv. FLORENCE PORTER, b. 1861; m. REV. REV. A.H. TOWE, 05 September 1883; b. 1865.
15. v. MARY VICTORIA PORTER, b. November 1861, Scott County Virginia.; d. 26 August 1934, Scott County Virginia. Burried Bush-Morris Cemitary..
vi. LULA PORTER, b. 17 March 1864.
vii. CHARLES E. PORTER, b. 1866; m. MARGARET E. CULBERTSON.
viii. SARAH PORTER, b. 1868, SCOTT CTY. VA.; m. JAMES GLENN, 22 November 1888; b. 1866, RUSS CTY..
ix. HENRY C. PORTER, b. 1871; m. DORA ELEANOR ADDINGTON, 20 February 1892.
x. JOHN W. HACKNEY PORTER, b. 1877.
xi. BAYS PORTER, b. 1878.
12. DANIEL MARION6 PORTER (SAMUEL L.5, SAMUEL4, PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born 18 December 1839. He married (1) JANE B. ADDINGTON, daughter of REV. ADDINGTON and ELIZABETH STALLARD. He married (2) MALINDA 31 December 1860.
Child of DANIEL PORTER and JANE
i. JOHN J.7 PORTER, b. 28 May 1868, RUSSELL CO. VA.; d. 08 December 1951; m. BERTHA LAWSON, 25 September 1901; b. 13 April 1880; d. 1971.
Child of DANIEL PORTER and MALINDA
ii. JAMES7 PORTER.
13. ROBERT KILGORE6 GREEN (JAMES5, JANE4 PORTER, PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born 10 June 1811 in ELLIOTT CO. KY., and died 02 September 1875 in ELLIOTT CO. KY.. He married MARINDA WORKMAN. She was born 24 May 1819, and died 24 May 1899 in ELLIOTT CO. KY..
Children of ROBERT GREEN and MARINDA
i. FRANCIS MARION7 GREEN, b. 15 April 1833, SCOTT COUNTY VA.; d. 30 January 1895, SCOTT COUNTY VA.; m. ROSAMOND BRICKEY, 28 March 1855, SCOTT COUNTY VA.; b. 20 May 1836; d. 05 March 1895, SCOTT COUNTY VA...
ii. JAMES MADISON GREEN, b. 1836; m. MARY ELIZABETH MASON.
14. JAMES6 GREEN III (JAMES5, JANE4 PORTER, PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born Abt. 1815, and died Aft. 1880 in ELLIOTT CO. KY.. He married (1) NANCY JANE GARDNER. He married (2) SARAH PARKER. She was born 1844.
More About JAMES GREEN III:
Nickname: FIDDLER JIM
Child of JAMES GREEN and NANCY
i. ELIZA7 GREEN, b. 1846; m. WILLIAM JOHNSON; b. 1840.
Generation No. 7
15. MARY VICTORIA7 PORTER (SAMUEL PATTON6, SAMUEL L.5, SAMUEL4, PATRICK3, BENJAMIN2, NICHOLAS1) was born November 1861 in Scott County Virginia., and died 26 August 1934 in Scott County Virginia. Burried Bush-Morris Cemitary.. She married (1) THOMAS M. BUSH, JR. (Source: Marriage License- Thomas Bush Jr. , Mary V. Porter April 1876, (Scott County Virginia. Court House).) 13 April 1876 in Scott County Virginia, son of THOMAS BUSH and MARY RAMEY. He was born 1855 in Scott County Virginia, and died 1895 in Scott County Virginia. She married (2) HENRY MORRIS 11 November 1895 in SCOTT CTY. VA., son of CHARLES MORRIS and ELIZA HORNE. He was born 1872 in NY. OR PA., and died 27 August 1930.
More About MARY VICTORIA PORTER:
Residence: SCOTT & RUSSELL CO.
If you have comments or suggestions, email me at email@example.com