Descendants of Dr. Samuel Maxwell Cummings,Sr
Generation No. 1
1. DR. SAMUEL MAXWELL1 CUMMINGS,SR was born Abt. 1763 in Stokesley,Yorkshire,England, and died September 12, 1826 in Oswego, SC , Sumter, SC,USA. He married (1) MARY ANN WILSON April 18, 1786 in Stokesley,Yorkshire,England. She was born Abt. 1770 in England, and died Bef. 1800 in USA. He married (2) SUSANNA MAGDALEN MICHEAU 1805 in South Carolina, daughter of MANASSEH MICHEAU and ANN GUERRY. She was born May 04, 1778 in Charleston District,SC,USA, and died January 03, 1849 in Oswego, SC , Sumter, SC,USA.
Notes for DR. SAMUEL MAXWELL CUMMINGS,SR:
Approximately, In the year 1786 , Dr. Samuel Maxwell Cummings emigrated from England to Pennsylvania. In 1786 , according to Francis White's 1786 Philadelphia city directory, on page 11, the second "C" section listing,Samuel Cummings is listed as: grocer,in Water b. Christian and Queen Streets and in the 1790 Phila. Census on page 234, in the southern district and living on the East side of Water Street, "Tavern Keeper". It shows that he had two sons under the age of 16 , a wife , and two daughters. It also shows that his neighbors were Samuel & Joseph Reed ,grocers, and Joseph Few,grocer. In 1800 he moved to Oswego, Sumter,SC. His wife , whom he had married just before leaving England , died on the wagon journey south leaving three small children . Dr. Cummings settled at the junction of RockyBluff Stream and Cow-Pens. (Homestead is marked on Mills Atlas of 1820.)
Notes for MARY ANN WILSON:
There were four children born from this marriage.
Marriage Notes for DR. CUMMINGS and MARY WILSON:
From Bishop's Transcripts; 1598-1860 Church of England, Parish Church of Stokesley.Batch # M014793/ IGI Database Search call # 0919080/film call # 6909863/ located Borthwick Institute,York
Children of DR. CUMMINGS and SUSANNA MICHEAU are:
2. i. MARY ANN2 CUMMINGS, b. Abt. 1793, Pennsylvania,USA.
ii. SAMUEL MAXWELL CUMMINGS,JR, b. Bef. 1800, Pennsylvania,USA.
iii. RICHARD CUMMINGS, b. Bef. 1800, Pennsylvania,USA; m. MARY C VAUGHN.
iv. JOHN CUMMINGS, b. Bef. 1800, Pennsylvania,USA.
v. ANNA MICHAU CUMMINGS, b. October 19, 1815, Oswego,Sumter County,SC; d. June 30, 1903, Lower Richland ,Richland,SC,usa; m. WILLIAM ALLEN YOUNG.
3. vi. SUSANNA MICHAUX CUMMINGS, b. July 23, 1820, Oswego, SC , Sumter, SC,USA; d. March 16, 1869, Florence, Darlington County,SC.
4. vii. JOANNA CATHLEEN CUMMINGS, b. October 16, 1822, Oswego, SC , Sumter, SC,USA.
5. viii. WILLIAM CUMMINGS, b. 1804, SouthCarolina.
6. ix. JOSEPH TARPLEY CUMMINGS,SR, b. 1824, Oswego, SC , Sumter, SC,USA; d. 1880, Oswego, SC , Sumter, SC,USA.
7. x. ELIZABETH FRANKLIN CUMMINGS, b. December 12, 1825, Oswego,Sumter County,SC; d. July 02, 1902, Florence, SC,USA.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids