John Huckell buildings Three buildings which are connected to
John Huckell and his wife Harriet Benedict can still be seen in Ottawa.
Their first major enterprise, the Brunswick Hotel, was demolished in
February 1910, and the only image we have is that taken from an
envelope from the hotel. John was proprietor of the Brunswick from 1889
to 1904, but was not the owner of the building itself
The photo below is of their residence
at 379 Cooper Street. They bought this large house after John retired
from the Brunswick. We visited the house in 2000 and were told that it
was being used as a recovery center. In the rear we could still see the
stables where he kept his set of matched black horses for his carriage,
as well as the "long black car" that his niece Muriel Bradley described
John and Harriet did well while
running the Brunswick Hotel and invested their money in real estate.
Two prpoerties they developed were the Huckell Building, on Bank
Street. Originally John's father owned a white cottage on this land. It is still in use today as a retail building.
John and Harriet also built a general purpose building further south on
Bank St. It was named Huckell Hall, and featured commercial spacc on
the ground floor, and a meeting hall on the upper level. It was built
in 1903 and the hall hosted Masonic and Temperence Union meetings. In
1937 the building was converted to become the Cozy Home Apartments. By
2009 it had been extensively renovated, and has become a Staples Store.