Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

NOTES ON THE FAMILY OF
JOHN CROSS (senior) of OTTAWA ONTARIO
Great-great grandfather (paternal)
September 8, 1819 - August 29, 1889
Born in Ireland , County Fermanagh, Ulster (death registration)
1630 Muster roll for Fermanagh county: includes Richard Crosse
Crofts family name listed in Burke’s Irish (1912, 1976)
Buried St. James Cemetery, (Inventory # 739), front section on east side of circle

Cross Family Name in Ireland
Theory 1
de Cruis (de Cruce, de Crosse, Cruice, Cruise, Cross)
An anglo-norman family who came to Ireland at the time of the invasion and obtained lands in Dublin and Meath. The chief seat of the family was at Naul where the ruins of their castle are still to be seen. In 1653 Peter Cruise of Naul was transplanted to Connacte.
Theory 2
The Cross family arrived in Ireland as part of the Hugenot immigration from France in the 1600’s. Hugenot familyies who had fought with the British against France were awarded lands in Ulster and around Waterford in return for their loyalty. (The French Catholic king had outlawed the Protestant religion) The family name was anglicized from La Croix. The late 1690's immigrants settled in the counties of Down and Antrim. Lisburn, 10 miles southwest of Belfast was a favourite location.
Theory 3
From the surname Crofts (de Croftus) Some signatures of John Cross senior show as “John Crofs”
 

Married Eliza Barry , date unknown (see Barry.doc for details)
Religion was Episcopalian Methodist (1871 Census),Wesleyan Methodist (1881 Census)
Lived exclusively in Lebreton Flats area (Victoria Ward of Ottawa)
1845: John Cross buys 43/45 Duke St. (Lebreton Flats, Block B, Lot 1) from John Lebreton for  80 pounds (RO 2700 & 2702, cart 5-951, Carleton Co. Courthouse, May 2002)
1849 to 1865: Land transferred to Robert Stewart, July 13, 1849 (cart 5-956, RO-4087) and July 17, 1865
1851: Carpenter turner, 1851 (Ontario Directory for 1851)
1851: Lived in a one story stone house with 1 pig and 6545(SQ?) feet of land plus a  carriage shop  (1851 Census C-11771, p.168)
1857: Wheelwright (Dir of the Prov of Ont, 1857)
1861: In 1861 census  signed name “Crofs”
1861: Waggon-maker, Duke near Queen, h do (OD 1861/62)
1864: Spinning wheel maker on Duke St. (Mitchell 1864)
1865: Wheelwright, Duke opposite Lloyd (OD 1866/67)
1868: Machinist & wood turner, Duke St. (S 1868)
1869: Planing mill & wheelwright, Duke (S 1869/70)
1870: Planing mill, Duke opposite Lloyd (Hunter 1870)
1871: Saw and planing mill (Lovell Canadian Dir, 1871)
1871: Planing mill, Duke (OD 1871/72)
1871: Machinist (1871 Census)
1873: Carpenter on Britannia Terrace (Alpha. dir. 1873/74)
1874: no listing in OD
 
1875: Lived in a house (i.e. single dwelling), Idle Alley, Carpenter (McAlpine 1875)
1879: John Cross, clerk, lane e of Duke St. (OD 1879)
1881:  member: Loyal Orange District Lodge, Young Britons Association (OD 1881p260)
1883: 39 Duke, 1883 assessment role
1884: John Cross Sr., Carpenter 45 Duke (OD 1884)
1886: John Cross Sr., Carpenter 45 Duke (OD 1886)
 nb: street listing for 45 Duke is Joachim Bigras, Grocer (OD 1885)
       Edward P. Hall, saddler (OD 1887,1889-97)
1888: Carpenter, h , lane first east of Duke (OD 1888/89)
1889: Carpenter, J.R. Booth, h rear 45 Duke (OD 1889/90)
1889: Will dated July 12, 1889 (NAC M-5500 p244) left everything to his wife Eliza
1889: Dies August 29, heart disease, 3 months duration, age 70, carpenter
(OPA MS-935-53, 1889 #002749) (copy on file)
From obit: “Oldest resident of Chaudiere died at his residence on Duke St.....long since incapacitated from his active work.” (Ottawa Evening Journal, August 30, 1889 p1)
1890: Eliza (wid John) h Idol Lane (OD 1890/91)
1891: Eliza (wid John) h Idol Lane (OD 1891/92)
1891: Lived on 2nd and 3rd floors (1st floor vacant)(assessment role, 1891)
1892: Eliza (wid John) h Idol Lane (OD 1892/93)
1893: Eliza (wid John) h Idol Lane (OD 1893/94)
1894:  March, 43/45 Duke soild to John Burns for $1 (he holds mortgage of $1700)
1894: April, John Burns sells lots for $1760
Eliza may have moved to Eddyville (Caroline E. and Chas. Broadhead) 1894-1896

Methodist Church
Religion: Wesleyan Methodist
The Wesleyan Methodist Church (originally on Rideau St., 1841,  later at Queen & Metcalfe) was the “mother church” to Methodists although other churches existed. the closest to the Lebreton Flats area was the Methodist Episcopal Church (Bridge & Queen) which opened Dec 25, 1864 (in 1871 the pastor was Rev. Lane) The “Circuit register of members’ names” lists John Cross, Eliza Barry (as Elizabeth Cross) and their daughter Jane as members in 1859/60. Rebecca Barry and a Jane Barry are listed in 1859/60 to 1861/62.  John W. Cross appears in 1873. Unfortunately the Methodist Registers of births, deaths and marriages for the period before 1898 were lost in the destruction by fire of Dominion United Church in February 1961.
In 1873 the Western Methodist Church was built at 543-547 Wellington (between Queen and Lett) and supported by the Booths and Rochesters. It somehow survived the fire of 1900, but was finally abandoned and demolished in 1964 to make way for the NCC development plan for the Lebreton Flats area.
 
 
 

Family
Wife:  Eliza   1820 - 1896
Children: Jane or Jennie  1843 - 1925
  Jonas Barry  Oct. 1, 1851- 1932
  John Wesley  1849 - 1911
  Caroline  1854 - 1938
  James Theophilius 1856/1858 - ????
  Victoria  1859/60 - >1925
  Charlotte   1862 - 1950
  William   1870 - >1925
 

45 Duke St.
Since there were no streets in the Lebreton Flats area in 1831 (British Army map) John Cross must have moved into the Flats area sometime between then and perhaps 1842 when  Duke St appeared on a later map. Lebreton Flats  was primarily French(OSAC 1881).  Duke Street connected Pooley’s Bridge (built 1836 by the British Army) and Richmond Landing on the Ottaw River. To the rear of Duke St was Britannia Terrace which still existed in 1929,(OD 1929) but was later named Pooley St.. The area was bounded by lumber piles to the east, lumber mills to the north and railroad tracks to the west
Duke St. was a residential street in a largely industrial and crowded area. With a number of mills and factories to the north and the tracks of Canada Central behind the street to the east and on Broad Street to the immediate east, it was in a center of activity cited as the “industrial” section of  early Ottawa. There were a number of stores in the area as well as hotels and taverns. In fact 45 Duke itself was at various times a boot and shoe store (1870-1875 S. Lee, OD 1875; John Huckell before that) , a grocery in 1885 (OD 1885) . John Cross sr. owned the block of houses from 39 to 45 Duke (1874 assessment role). The civic Insurance Plan of 1876 shows the addresses 43-45 Duke as being commercial. At the rear of the property was a shed (probably the “carriage shop” listed in the 1871 census) and a separate dwelling. It is in this dwelling that the family lived while renting out the Duke St. houses. Across the street, at the south east corner of Duke and Lloyd was the community well and pump. A school house was situated at the corner of Duke and Bridge St. and it is assumed that their children attended this school.. From 1887 until 1896 the family residence was on a lane (later named Idol Lane) at the rear of 45 Duke, that connected with Britannia Terrace. Idol Lane had houses on the north side only. It faced the side of  a hotel (variously known as the Patrick, Victoria(1891) and the Occidental(1893)). In the “Great Fire” of 1900 most of Lebreton Flats was destroyed. On Duke St. only a saloon (Couillard Hotel) was spared. The Duke St. lot (bought by Hugh McClelland from the estate of Eliza Cross in 1896) were left vacant after the second major fire in 1903 and later became the site of  a warehouse for Brigham Lumber.
Legal description: Roll no. 062 901 00404 0000 Plan 2 Blk C
Lebreton Flats was expropriated in 1962 by the National Capital Commission and the area was to be the site of a “massive redevelopment programme”. During 1964 all of the buildings in the Flats were razed. By July 1994 all buildings in Lebreton Flats were gone, replaced by fields of weeds and oddly distributed mounds. Only Broad, Oregon and Duke St. survive as of this time. At Pooley Bridge (at the south end of Duke St.) the city  waterworks were built in 1874, bringing the first running water to the area, and expanded  in 1886. Electricity came to the area in 1887 when 103 lights were connected. The west area of Lebreton Flats was primarily CPR rail yards around 1910 (as per census map). The Broad St. yards were still in existence in 1961. The Broad St. station destroyed in the 1900 fire was rebuilt as the first structure in Ottawa to be built in the Chateau style. However the depot was obsolete almost as soon as it was finished as the arrival of Union Station in the upper town in 1909 changed passenger train destinations.. Facing both incarnations of railway depots were the inevitable hotels along the east side of Broad St. , A railway bridge led to Hull, and the impressive Union Bridge (1842) connected the Flats to Albert & Victoria Islands to the north as well as Hull. The area currently has a small campground and serves mainly as the gateway to Hull immediately south of the Chaudiere Falls (via the E.B. Eddy plant). As of 2003 Duke St. no longer exists. The federal government is developing the Lebreton Flats area and Duke Street is being renamed as part of the construction of the new Canadian War Museum.
 

JANE ELLIOTT CROSS
Oct. 9, 1843 -  Dec 1, 1925
Baptized April 9, 1844
Oldest child of John and Eliza Cross
Listed variously as Jane, Jane E and Jannie or Jennie
Age at Census varies considerably
Never married
Witness, marriage of Eliza Jane Barry & John Brodie June 29, 1871, Ottawa ON (via Chris Burk) Lives Mrs. E. Cross (OD 1893/94)
Saleslady Miss Mira Ashfield, res. Hull (OD 1899) (as Jennie Cross)
Member of Western United Church (1925)
Active in the Women’s Missionary Society
Lived in Hull 1911-1925
Died at the house of Charles Broadhead (Caroline E. Cross)
Buried at St. James cemetery in same plot as mother & father (Inventory # 739)
 

JONAS BARRY CROSS
Oct. 1, 1851- 1932
1853: Baptized May 28, 1853 (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wjmartin/wm-c_136.htm)
1868: Clerk h Lloyd (S 1868) (as Jonas Cross)
1869: J B Cross, clerk Elliot & Hamilton (S 69/70)
1875: Married: May 20, 1875, wife unknown, (Ont Vital Stats: Marriages 1875 #001-672)
1892: Son John born in MA
1897: Son George born in MA
1920:  Connecticut Census, Middlesex County, Haddam district:
 Jonas B. Cross, age 68 born Canada, farmer, house farm, owned home, free of mortgage, father born Ireland, Mother born Canada.  Wife Martha J. age 57, born Conn., father  born CT, mother born NY.  Son John C. age 28, single, none listed for trade born MA, son George S. age 23 single, farmer. born MA.
1925: Rev. James B. Cross, Wilmot, Conn, 1925 (obit Jane E. Cross)
Buried in New Fairfield CT
Wife: Martha J. Webb 1862-1926
Cemetery transcriptions from: http://208.47.164.200/beavbgas.htm

WILLIAM A. CROSS
1870 (1881 Census)- ???? >1925
Youngest son of John Cross, senior.
Brother of John W. Cross
Clerk, 45 Duke (OD 1887)
Clerk, Wellington & Co., res. 45 Duke (OD 1889/90)
Clerk, J Bruce [bakers], 45 Duke (OD 1890/91)
Druggist (1891 Census)
Clerk, 45 Duke (OD 1891/92)
Clerk, l Mrs. E. Cross (OD 1892-93)
Clerk, R. McGregor [dairy & vegetables] 210-212 Sparks, rms. 168 Lyon(OD 1894-95)
Trav Poars & Ault, Carlton Place (OD 1896-97 - 1898/99)
“                            , bds 122 Sparks (The Brunswick)
“                           , 111 Jane (OD 1901)
“                            ,199 Pretoria (OD 1902,1903)
San Francisco, 1925 (Jane E. Cross obit)

CAROLINE ELIZA CROSS
February 9, 1854 - August 27, 1938
Baptized July 26, 1854 (UCA extract) Birth date is given as February 9, 1854
 -Wesleyan Methodist vol 1  p171
“second Daughter of John Cross, esq” in JC obit OMJ June 18, 1889
bds John Cross (sr.) (OD 1888/89)
Married Charles H. Broadhead (July 18,1852-April 23, 1931), 1904
 nb: 1st wife was Evaline Holsted, died Feb. 17, 1888 Age 30
 married St. James Church, Hull, Aug 31, 1874 (Church records @NAC)
 witnesses William and Maria Broadhead (both marked with an 'X')
Eliza (Barry) Cross died 1896 in Chas. Broadhead house???
Member of Western United Church (1938)
Died suddenly
Was at 7 Wright St., Hull (probably Broadhead house)
Survived by 2 sons Arthur, 1878-1967(Hull) and Ernest(Montreal) and 1 daughter  Mrs.M.Boon(Montreal)
Left 10 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren

CHARLOTTE O. CROSS
1862 - 1950
Married Ronald Webster Grant (1866 - 1943)
Buried St. James cemetery, Hull (Inventory #920) lower section.
Last surviving child of John Cross (sr.)

JAMES THEOPHILUS CROSS
July 11, 1857 - >1925
Baptized May 13, 1858
 -Ottawa, vol 1  p515
In 1861 and 1871 Census only
Possible marriage Oct 22 1875, Ottawa (Ont. Vital Stats: Marriages 1875 #001-738)
In Columbus Ohio, 1925
Died there (source: lost email). He was a carpenter
 

VICTORIA CROSS
1859/60 –1925+
In 1861 and 1871 Census only
Married Jan 5, 1881:
Jan 5, Samuel, son of Stephen WILKINS, contractor, to Victoria, 3rd daughter of John CROSS of the Chaudiere (Ottawa Free Press 1881)
Attende funeral of sister Jane Cross in 1925, Mrs. F.G. Wilkins of Valleyfield, QC