Generation No. 1
1. John5 Sammons (Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 14 Apr 1793 in VA, and died 10 Feb 1853. He married Mary. Notes for John Sammons: 1850 Morgan Co. Illinois Census is as follows: Enumeration Date: 23 Aug 1850 Family # 618: Sammons, Abner 21 M Farmer Birthplace: IL Married within year Sammons, Nancy 21 F [Ketner] Family #619 . Sammons, John 60 M Farmer Real Est. 3,000 Birthplace: VA Sammons, Mary 49? F " TN Sammons, Martha 17 F " IL Sch. w/in yr Sammons, James 11 M " IL " " " Family #619 Anderson, John 28 M Farmer Birthplace: IL Married within yr. Anderson, Mary 18 F [Sammons] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1860 Montgomery Co. Illinois, Census P.O. Litchfield, IL. Family # 903 Sammons, James 21 M Farmer Birthplace, IL Sammons, Nancy 22 F [Nancy E Hull] __________________________________________________________ 1870 Montgomery Co. Illinois Census-Town 9-Range 5 Post Office Litchfield, IL. #59-59 Sammons, James, 31 Il Farmer Sammons, Nancy 32 [Hull] Sammons, Sarah E 8 Sammons, Mary E 6 Sammons, Clarence A 4 Sammons, Dolly 1 Click here to see other Montgomery Co IL Marriages-Land Documents-Census-Civil War Info More about John Sammons and Mary: BURIAL: Hazel Green Cem-Morgan Co IL John Sammons Probate #863 Morgan Co. IL list three older children. Robert Sammons, William L/S Sammons, and Thomas Sammons. Click here to see Probate States his death as 10 Feb 1853 and Probate filed 14 Mar 1853. Children of John Sammons and Mary are: 2 i. Abner6 Sammons, born 04 Apr 1829 in Jacksonville IL-Morgan Co. He married Nancy Ketner 04 Apr 1850 in Morgan Co IL. #2209 by Janus Dickens M.G.
Notes for Abner Sammons: Abner and Nancy married on his 21st birthday. Abner Sammons, well known in his neighborhood as a man trustworthy in business and energetic in the conduct of his farming interests, is the owner of two hundred and forty acres of land in Butler Grove Township. He was born in Morgan Co, Illinois, near the city of Jacksonville, on the 4th of April, 1829, and there he spent the days of his boyhood and youth. When he had attained to man's estate he was married in that county to Miss Nancy Ketner, who was born on the 13th of September, 1828, and gave her hand in marriage to him in 1850. He took his bride to his father's farm and continued the management of that property and the cultivation of the fields until 1853, after which he leased a farm in Morgan county and there resided until 1864. In the latter years he removed to the farm in Butler Grove Township, Montgomery county, upon which he now resides and which has been his home for forty years. He has purchased one hundred and forty acres on section 7, Butler Grove Township, and he owns altogether two hundred and forty acres of land, on which he is carrying on general farming and stock-raising, although he has passed the seventy-fifth milestone on life's journey. Such a record of activity and continued business usefulness should put to shame many a man of younger years, who, tired of the burdens and responsibilities of business life, would leave to others the tasks which he should perform for himself. Mr. Sammons has made all of the improvements upon his farm, and now has substantial buildings upon the place, well tilled fields, modern farm machinery and, in fact, all of the equipments found upon a model place of the twentieth century. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Sammons have been born seven children: John, who carries on agricultural pursuits in the home neighborhood; Ellen, the wife of Thomas Briggs, a resident of Idaho; Mary and Albert, who are deceased; William, a stock-buyer at Litchfield; James, a stock-buyer and farmer; and Arthur, who is farming near the old home place. Mr. Sammons has served as a school director, but has never sought or desired public office, preferring to give his attention to his business affairs. He is a self-made man who, without fortunate environment or any inheritance in his youth, started out to make his own way in the world and has steadily progressed by reason of his determination and unfaltering purpose. From the book "Past and Present of Montgomery County." Children of Abner Sammons and Nancy Ketner are: 6 i. John7 Sammons ii. Ellen Sammons She married Thomas J Briggs 24 Nov 1874 in Montgomery Co IL iii. Mary Sammons iv. Albert N Sammons born 1856 died 11 Jan 1895 at age 38 yrs 7 mos. v. William Sammons vi. James7 Sammons, born May 1865 in Butler IL-Montgomery Co; died 05 Oct 1923 in Montgomery Co IL. He married 1st to Eva Puntney in 1886. He married 2nd Mina F Masters 20 Mar 1895 in Butler IL-Montgomery Co. vii. Arthur C Sammons married Carrie A Burris 20 Oct 1898 in Montgomery Co IL More about James Sammons: BURIAL: Ware's Grove Cem-Butler IL-Montgomery Co Notes for James Sammons: James Sammons, one of the prosperous landowners and general farmers of Montgomery County, is engaged in operating his valuable farming property in Butler Grove Township. He was born in Butler Grove Township, May 26, 1866, a son of Abner and Nancy C. (Kitner) Sammons, natives of Morgan County, Ill., and North Carolina. They lived in Morgan County after their marriage until the winter of 1865- 1856 when they moved to Butler Grove Township, where both later died. In 1886 James Sammons was married to Eva Puntney, born in Butler Grove Township, a daughter of J.N. Puntney, and she died in 1891, leaving no issue. On March 20, 1895, Mr. Sammons was married (second) to Mina Masters, a daughter of Martin W. and Helen (Jennings) Masters, and they have one son, Augustus, who was born October 26, 1896. After his first marriage Mr. Sammons moved on eighty acres of unimproved land on Section 17, Butler Grove Township, which he improved, later adding twenty acres to his farm, and he also owns another tract of fifty-five acres in Butler Grove Township, and forty acres in North Litchfield Township. On all his land he carries on general farming and stockraising. In addition to attending the public schools of his district, he went to Brown's Business College, at Jacksonville, Ill., for two winters. The family attends the Presbyterian Church. In politics Mr. Sammons is a Democrat and served as township assessor for two years. Fraternally he belongs to Butler Camp, M.W.A. and Litchfield Lodge B.P.O.E. From the book "Past and Present of Montgomery County." 3 ii. Mary Sammons, born 1832. She married John Anderson 06 Nov 1849 Morgan Co IL. #2014 by Andrew Todd M.G. 4 iii. Martha Sammons, born 1833. She married John D. Shuff 18 Jan 1850 Morgan Co IL. #2358 by Thomas B Springer L.D. + 5 iv. James Henry Sammons, born 1839 in Illinois; died 30 Mar 1879 in Carroll Co AR.
on back: Uncle Ab age 80 yrs old
Generation No. 2
5. James Henry6 Sammons (John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 1839 in Illinois, and died 30 Mar 1879 in Carroll Co AR. He married (1) Nancy Elizabeth Hull 13 Aug 1857 in Litchfield IL-Montgomery Co, daughter of Jesse Hull and Elizabeth. He married (2) Julia Ann Mrs. Johnson 19 Jun 1874 in Montgomery Co IL #5099 v6 p146. He married (3) Sallie A Gunn 26 Jan 1876 in Montgomery Co IL #5501 v7 P17.
More About James Henry Sammons: BURIAL: Litchfield IL-Montgomery Co More About Nancy Elizabeth Hull: BURIAL: Honey Bend or Cedar Ridge Cem-Litchfield IL-Montgomery Co Children of James Sammons and Nancy Hull are: + 7 i. Sarah E7 Sammons, born 23 Feb 1862 in Montgomery Co IL; died 1912 in Auburn CA-Placer Co. 8 ii. Mary S 'Mollie Sammons, born 15 Sep 1864 or 1863 Illinois; died 20 Mar 1946 in Auburn CA-Placer Co. She married (1) James C Russell in 1st marriage. She married (2) James Kennedy in 2nd marriage.
JAMES HENRY SAMMONS AND NANCY HULL SAMMONS
More About Mary S Sammons: BURIAL: Auburn Dist Cem-Auburn CA-Placer Co + 9 iii. Clarence Almon Sammons, born 26 Jan 1867 in Missouri; died 10 Apr 1942 in Rio Vista CA-Solano Co.
MARY 'MOLLIE SAMMONS RUSSELL KENNEDY
+ 10 iv. Dolly Sammons, born 26 Apr 1869 Illinois; died 09 Apr 1943 in Auburn CA-Placer Co. 11 v. John K Sammons, born 12 Jul 1871; died 17 Sep 1873 in Montgomery Co IL. Children of James Sammons and Sallie Gunn are: 12 i. Minnie Lulu7 Sammons, born 11 Aug 1876 in AR; died 08 Oct 1976. + 13 ii. Harry Milton Sammons, born 26 Feb 1877 in AR; died 15 Dec 1955 in CA. 14 iii. Charles Henry Sammons, born 03 Dec 1879 in AR.
HARRY MILTON, CLARENCE ALMON, AND CHARLES HENRY SAMMONS
6. Sarah E7 Sammons (James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 23 Feb 1862 in Montgomery Co IL, and died 1912 in Auburn CA-Placer Co. She married Joshua Ferguson 05 Jan 1879 in Carroll Co AR. More About Sarah E Sammons: BURIAL: Cunningham Cem-Grass Valley CA-Nev Co Children of Sarah Sammons and Joshua Ferguson are: 15 i. Charles8 Ferguson. He married Crystal Folsom. + 16 ii. Albert Ferguson. 17 iii. Oscar Ferguson. He married Nellie. No children. 8. Clarence Almon7 Sammons (James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 26 Jan 1867 in MO, and died 10 Apr 1942 in Rio Vista CA-Solano Co. He married Matilda Alice Canaday 31 Jan 1889 in Pittsburg KS-Crawford Co. Matilda was born 09 Mar 1870 and died 27 Jul 1962. Matilda's ancestors came to America on the Mayflower. She is a 9th generation descendant.
*** Click here to read Matilda's Mayflower history. More About Clarence Almon Sammons: BURIAL: Elm Ridge Cem-Grass Valley CA-Nev Co
Clarence and Matilda Canaday Sammons Marriage Certificate
MATILDA ALICE CANADAY
CLARENCE A. & MATILDA SAMMONS
CLARENCE & MATILDA'S RANCH
Clarence Sammons 1922
Mollie, Harry, Clarence and Dollie Sammons
Matilda Canaday Sammons
Clarence Almon and Matilda Alice Canaday Sammons
Flossie and Cecil Sammons
Cecil Willard Sammons
LEDA VEROQUI SAMMONS STEINER
LEDA & VAL STEINER
DOLLY SAMMONS SPARKS, SHERMAN SPARKS AND KATIE SPARKS
"Uncle Harry Family" "Oldest girl- Elsie Left to right-Arlis, Uncle Harry, Neva, Aunt Jane, Charlie, & Irdle"
15. Albert8 Ferguson (Sarah E7 Sammons, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1). He married (2) Mary in 1st marriage. He married (2) Mabel. Child of Albert Ferguson and Mabel is: 39 i. Ida Mae9 Ferguson. Child of Albert Ferguson and Mary is: 40 i. Harold9 Ferguson. 17. Flossie Gertrude8 Sammons (Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 23 Oct 1889 in Pittsburg KS-Crawford Co, and died 24 Dec 1979 in Corning CA-Tehama Co. She married George Spratt Rose 19 Sep 1908 in Grass Valley CA-Nevada Co.
More About Flossie Gertrude Sammons: BURIAL: Gridley CA-Butte Co Children of Flossie Sammons and George Rose are: 41 i. Clarence9 Rose, died in Colfax CA. Notes for Clarence Rose: Clarence lived 1 year. 42 ii. Ellen Rose, died in Bakersfield CA. Notes for Ellen Rose: Ellen lived about 2 years. 43 iii. George Daniel Rose, born 19 Aug 1914 in Colfax CA. He married Helen Rose Jones. + 44 iv. Benjamin John Rose, born 01 Jan 1920 in Great Falls MT or Calpatra Mexico; died 11 Dec 1988 in Yuba City CA. + 45 v. Erwin Henry Rose, born 30 Oct 1922 in Sacramento CA- Sacramento Co.
FLOSSIE GERTRUDE SAMMONS ROSE
20. William Harry8 Sammons (Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 22 Feb 1899 in Grass Valley CA-Nev Co, and died 11 Oct 1978 in Grass Valley CA-Nev Co. He married Martha Lois Barnes 02 Mar 1937 in Reno NV-Storey Co. More About William Harry Sammons: BURIAL: Cremated: Ashes strewn on Wolf Mountain Children of William Sammons and Martha Barnes are: 46 i. William Douglas9 Sammons. 47 ii. Richard Wayne Sammons.
WILLIAM HARRY 'BILL SAMMONS
21. Earl Fred8 Sammons (Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 26 Jan 1900 in Grass Valley CA-Nev Co, and died 11 Jul 1955 in Sacramento CA-Sacramento Co. He married Ruth Maudina Lord 26 Nov 1925 in Stockton CA- San Joaquin Co Div:. More About Earl Fred Sammons: BURIAL: Sunset Lawn Cem-Sacramento CA-Sacramento Co Child of Earl Sammons and Ruth Lord is: 48 i. Dorothy Ruth9 Sammons.
Earl Fred Sammons
23. Leona Marie8 Sammons (Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 06 Apr 1904 in Grass Valley CA-Nev Co, and died 21 Oct 1998 in Sacramento CA-Sacramento Co. She married Frank Elmer Kirtlan 14 Sep 1924 in Grass Valley CA- Nevada Co. More About Leona Marie Sammons: BURIAL: Sierra Hills Cem-Sacramento CA-Sacramento Co Child of Leona Sammons and Frank Kirtlan is: + 49 i. Helen Joyce9 Kirtlan 24. Elsie Mae8 Sammons (Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 21 Dec 1905 in Grass Valley CA-Nev Co, and died 01 Mar 1994 in Davis CA-Yolo Co. She married Lawrence Edward Erwin 18 Jun 1930 in Reno NV-Storey Co.
Leona Marie Sammons Kirtlan
More About Elsie Mae Sammons: BURIAL: Santa Cruz CA-Santa Cruz Co Child of Elsie Sammons and Lawrence Erwin is: + 50 i. Donald Eugene9 Erwin.
ELSIE MAE SAMMONS ERWIN
ELSIE ABOUT 1949
LAWRENCE EDWARD ERWIN
43. Benjamin John9 Rose (Flossie Gertrude8 Sammons, Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 1920 in Great Falls MT or Calpatra Mexico, and died 11 Dec 1988 in Yuba City CA. He married Betty Elizabeth Troncatty 1944. Child of Benjamin Rose and Betty Troncatty is: 51 i. Betty10 Rose. 44. Erwin Henry9 Rose (Flossie Gertrude8 Sammons, Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 1922 in Sacramento CA-Sacramento Co. He married Martha Elaine Jarman 1941 in Conway SC. Children of Erwin Rose and Martha Jarman are: 52 i. Betty Marie10 Rose. 53 ii. Erwin Henry Jr Rose. 54 iii. Curtis Rose. 55 iv. Kathy Rose. 48. Helen Joyce9 Kirtlan (Leona Marie8 Sammons, Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1) was born 1929. She married Robert Frank Fingado 1951 in Sacramento CA-Sacramento Co. Children of Helen Kirtlan and Robert Fingado are: 56 i. Donald Dwight10 Fingado 57 ii. Patricia Ann Fingado 49. Donald Eugene9 Erwin (Elsie Mae8 Sammons, Clarence Almon7, James Henry6, John5, Newit4, James III3, James II2, James I Salmon/1). He married Gretchen Ann Geraty. Children of Donald Eugene Erwin and Gretchen Ann Geraty are: 58 i. Lawrence Tilton10 Erwin 59 ii. Gary Alan Erwin 60 iii. Bruce Eugene Erwin 61 iv. Gretchen Kathleen Erwin
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids