Southern Christian Advocate, Macon, Georgia, March 29, 1876, p. 4, col. 6. The obituary has in error 1876 for William Carlton's death.
William and Harriet (Hendry) Carlton) had the following children, of whom four sons died while serving in the Confederate States Army (CSA), as did a son-in-law:
1. John Sales Carlton, born December 6, 1830; died June 29, 1862; married on December 4, 1851 Martha Jane Cason, daughter of Silas and Abigail (Langford) Cason. While serving in the CSA, he became seriously ill and while on medical leave died at Perry, Fla.
2. America J. Carlton, born June 17, 1832; died on June 18, 1834.
3. James C. Carlton, born December 31, 1833; died in 1865; married on November 20, 1856, Martha Piety Grantham. He served in the CSA and died while a prisoner of war in the Federal Military Prison at Rock Island, Illinois.
4. Nancy Jane Carlton, born December 2, 1835; died March 19, 1917, Lily, Fla.; married on February 19, 1854, Wesley A. Coker. Wesley served in the Marion Light Artillery, CSA.
5. William Thomas Carlton, born February 16, 1838; never married. He served in Co. G, 4th Fla. Regt., CSA and died February 19, 1864 while a prisoner of war in the Federal Military Prison, Rock Island, Illinois and was buried there in plot 524.
6. David Wright Carlton, born December 5, 1839; died August 14, 1858; never married.
7. Robert Allen Carlton, born February 16, 1842; died October 7, 1928; married on March 30, 1870, Emma Adelaide Harrison. He served in the Marion Light Artillery, CSA.
8. Alderman G. W. Carlton, born November 16, 1843; died March 18, 1862 while serving in the CSA; never married.
9. Mary Elizabeth Carlton, born June 17, 1845; died on May 7, 1925, Ona, Fla.; married (1) John Grantham, September 1, 1859; (2) Robert Roberts, September 3, 1865. John died in CSA. Robert served in 4th Regt., Fla. Inf., CSA.
10. Jency Adeline Carlton, born January 31, 1848; died August 3, 1851.
11. Stephen Marion Carlton, born March 6, 1851; died March 20, 1852.
12. Henry Eli Carlton, born November 15, 1854; died September 30, 1934, Arcadia, Fla.; married (1) Arianah Cordelia Wilkison, January 25, 1875; (2) Nina Daniels, June 8, 1904.
References: Milton D. Wilson, The Carlton Family Some Descendants of Thomas Carlton, Revolutionary Soldier of Duplin County, North Carolina, Polk Co. Historical Commission, Bartow, 1940s; William Carlton Family Bible, South Florida Pioneers15/16 (Jan./April 1978), p. 15; Albert and Park DeVane, Early Florida History, Volume 1; Spessard Stone, Lineage of John Carlton,1998.
This profile is adapted from the author's feature in The Herald-Advocate (Wauchula, Fla.) of October 9, 1986.
February 15, 2001; link to Rock Island, courtesy of Rev. Tom Johnson, Jr., April 2, 2002; image of obituary added June 5, 2004; photo added June 28, 2004.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids