The CLIO (ON 33034) was built in 1838 at Granville. Nova Scotia Tons 473(O) 513(N) 487 net. 117.26.6 18.9 She was built of black birch. pine and oak and registered at St. John on completion. a three masted barque.
A few months later she was sold to Avery, the well-established Padstow merchant house. and in some ways she marks the zenith of Padstow shipping. A brand new deep water square rigger owned by Padstow, a full Lloyds surveying port, trading from Padstow to Quebec and other North American ports. taking substantial numbers of emigrants and returning with prime timber for Padstow's expanding shipyards.
Rawle and Easthorpe (master) took over from Avery and Brown [master) in 1845, but all went on as before until 185? when the Doom Bar persuaded her people that she was too big for Padstow: she carried on as a Quebec trader, but sailing from Falmouth and Plymouth and even Gloucester.
Her survey ran out in 1858 but Rawle & Co. remained the owners. In 1865 J. Moore of Stonehouse, Devon was her owner, and her register ends with the note "Abandoned at Sea 3rd July 1866".
In April/May 1855, the Clio sailed forQuebec, it's port of departure now being Plymouth, Padstow being deemed too small. It's sister ships were the John, Siam and Oriental. The Clio Captain was William Symons, the others being Edward Rawle (John), Charles Rawle (Siam) and Henry Tom (Oriental).
The Rawles originated from Boscastle, the others from Padstow. The Rawles were a ship owning family. Joint owners (certainly of the John) were; Thomas Ham, 10 Prospect Street, Plymouth William Williams, draper, of Padstow Robert Williams Avery, ship owner, 3 Charles Place, Plymouth Philip Rawle the Younger, ship owner, 37 Gibbon Street, Plymouth Philip Rawle the Elder of Boscastle, ship owner, 2 Gibbon Street, Plymouth James Moore, merchant clerk of Richmond Walk, Plymouth.
11th Aug. 1848
The ship "Clio", Robert EASTHOPE, Commander, now at Padstow, will leave that place for Quebec with passengers the 15th inst.
Apply to :
Then came the lists of towns and the agents.
The agent for Mevagissey was Mr. Joseph KITTO. For St. Austell it was Mr. CHAPMAN, Porthpean. or Mr. AVERY's Offices, Boscastle and Padstow.
The dates below were supplied to me, by Captain George HOGG. He runs the Maritime Museum at Falmouth.
The dates of Clio sailings from Padstow are as follows....
(WB)= West Briton) other dates from... (BPP) British Parliamentry Papers.
20 mar 1840 (WB)
19 jun 1840 (WB)
16 apr 1841 (WB)
25 jun 1841 (WB)
07 aug 1841
22 apr 1842 (WB)
24 jun 1842 (WB)
12 aug 1842
01 apr 1843
01 jun 1843
11 aug 1843 (WB)
05 apr 1844 from Malpas, Truro. (WB)
23 apr 1847 (WB)
03 apr 1848 Diary of THOMAS RUNDELL
11 aug 1848 (WB)
04 April 1849 arrived Quebec May 1849 Diary by JOHN GUNDRY (1824-1884)
15 feb 1850 (approx. from Malpas, Truro.) (WB)
?? jun 1850 from Malpas, Truro. (WB)
15 apr 1853 (Falmouth, Cardiff, Quebec) (RCG)
According to Mr Tony PAWLYN , between 1831 & 1857, 6,692 emigrants left from Padstow!
Back to Diary pages
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids